Thread: Let's make Josh our point guard.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Let's make Josh our point guard.

Put PG at the two and he can guard the other team's point guard.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's make Josh our point guard.

If Josh could consistently dribble the ball lower than he usually does (so he can dribble in traffic/not be easily stolen), I'd totally be for this.

Having him starting at the 4, of course. But he'd bring the ball up the floor, and he'd call the plays.

Hell, if he could pull that off, I'd seriously consider starting Rush/George/Granger in the backcourt. Why? Rush and George can (more or less) guard point guards, and both are more comfortable catching-and-shooting off of kickouts than Collison seems to be (he shoots too slowly).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

At least Josh has the ability and sense to pass instead of trying to just score every time he gets the ball in his hands. It's not his top priority. I'd say he has better vision than anyone else on the team.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I worry that he'd try to get too cute a lot. A lot like what Lance does.

This idea would be considered absurd around the league, but he sees the floor better than everyone on the team besides maybe Lance Stephenson. Josh runs a PnR about once every other game and he makes good decisions with the ball.. A lot better decisions than Darren/AJ.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What worries me at times is when he dribbles too high.

He does have good ball handling for a big man, but in no way should he play PG ever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Uhh.. Nah. While he has above average passing ability for a PF he still is only ~ 1 to 1 in A/T ratio and thats with limited ball handling. Most of his assists come from throwing it to Hibbert who makes a quick hook shot or to Granger coming off a screen. Thats why he has so many 0-1 assist games because sometimes those shots arent being made.

Maybe when Dun comes back he should play PG. He has the ability, the only problem would be defense, but I'm sure one of our SGs could play adequate defense on a PG.

Adjustments can be made to run the offense through Josh more, without "making him the point guard." The problem is we don't have enough practice time to implement such things.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

So Josh is going to guard the opposing two-guards. OK, lets see how he does against Ray Allen

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    So Josh is going to guard the opposing two-guards. OK, lets see how he does against Ray Allen
    No. In McKeyFan's hypothetical there are still 3 other smaller players on the floor. Josh just handles the ball.

He would still guard the opposing PF.

We obviously aren't going to go that far out of the box at this point in the season.

But you could easily use him to bring the ball up and initiate the offense at least as well as with Collison or Price. Even if he dribbles higher.

It would never happen but I would like to see a huge lineup. I would like see Josh, Tyler, Hibbert, George, and Granger on the floor. Defensively playing a 2-3 zone and offensively with Josh as the point forward. Their length would create huge problems for teams. It would be tough to get an uncontested look against them in the half court.

I would not be opposed to starting Josh, George, Rush, Granger, and Hibbert. Those five fit together a lot better than what we are going with now.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

The saddest thing about this thread is that it even exists.

Yes, it's true. Josh sees the floor much better than every PG on the team...except Lance is close. Goodness, most of our players see the floor better than Collison and Price.

I recall many times where it was blatantly obvious that Paul and Josh were far better playmakers. It was like once the PG coughed up the ball...it started to move.

I would order it as follows (highest awareness to lowest):

Josh
    Lance
    Paul
    Foster
    MDJ
    Roy
    Danny
    Price
    Posey
    Rush
    Dahntay
    TJ
    Collison
    Tyler
    Solo

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The saddest thing about this thread is that it even exists.

Yes, it's true. Josh sees the floor much better than every PG on the team...except Lance is close. Goodness, most of our players see the floor better than Collison and Price.

I recall many times where it was blatantly obvious that Paul and Josh were far better playmakers. It was like once the PG coughed up the ball...it started to move.

I would order it as follows (highest awareness to lowest):

Josh
    Lance
    Paul
    Foster
    MDJ
    Roy
    Danny
    Price
    Posey
    Rush
    Dahntay
    TJ
    Collison
    Tyler
    Solo
    The really sad part is that outside of McRoberts I wouldn't say we have any player that has exceptional court vision for their position. For the most part it is average, so it isn't like George, Granger, and Rush have such great court vision that our PGs look worse than they really are. Right now that is the only thing that worries me about the long term potential of Price and Collison.

I don't doubt their skills will improve enough to be good players. While playing with and having chemistry with players on the team will make it seem like their court vision has improved, court vision isn't something that a player can easily improve on. Although if the players are willing to work and learn, and have a good teacher it is possible.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 03-27-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know what is sadder: This thread or the fact that I actually stopped and gave it real thought. I am not down on DC nearly as much as almost everyone else, but Josh does have easily the best court vision and the best passing skills on the team. It would be a nice wrinkle to try, but I doubt we could sustain it for any extended minutes.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If Josh could consistently dribble the ball lower than he usually does (so he can dribble in traffic/not be easily stolen), I'd totally be for this.

Having him starting at the 4, of course. But he'd bring the ball up the floor, and he'd call the plays.

Hell, if he could pull that off, I'd seriously consider starting Rush/George/Granger in the backcourt. Why? Rush and George can (more or less) guard point guards, and both are more comfortable catching-and-shooting off of kickouts than Collison seems to be (he shoots too slowly).
    MFan is having some fun it seems.

But to Josh's dribble, I think he's very strong at keeping his dribble pretty low. He's just loose and careless with his dribble in traffic and tries to force dribble action past the point of good sense. To me this is Josh's biggest flaw, the highlight style of play that makes him exciting is something he's not good about turning off and it results in some highlight plays that turn into TOs or general slop at the end.

The Pacers do have plays where Josh is basically the initial passer, especially when they work him up top to drop the pass down the middle to Roy. You'd give up PnR except a little with George and maybe Rush.

Not sure if Rush has a post game to take advantage of the PG he'd be guarding.

George would typically bring up the ball, though Josh obviously has no problem when defended by his man. Teams like to trap him when they see this and that's when he gets into trouble (ie, the PG comes out to help the PF and they force Josh to split it or make some move).

I'm all for it, we can just call him a Point Forward. Him and Paul can bring the ball up the court.

Frank decided to simplify the offense, and mainly let DC or AJ run the show with basic pick and rolls or just generic drive and dish play, but it is very PG oriented. I can't help but wonder if Jim saw that our PGs are terrible, so he had to initiate a motion offense to cover up for their lack of court vision.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

So if he brings the ball up and distributes it, does he get it back if the play is broken or on a reversal?

If so, does that mean he has to stay at the perimeter?

If so, how many heads on PD will explode?

In other words, that'd be Nooooooooooooo.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lol... Okay the thought is interesting, based on the fact that Josh has stupendous handles and court vision, especially for a big man but I think all of us realize that the minute teams realize he's our primary ball-handler, Josh would not handle the ball pressure. They'd throw two little guys on him and pressure him all the way up the court, and it'd be turnover after turnover.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

They should just sign Derrick Rose this offseason and have him at the PG.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    They should just sign Derrick Rose this offseason and have him at the PG.
    I see Peter Sanchez has made a comeback.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Who was the tallest PG ever? Magic was 6'9" right? Does anyone beat that?