Thread: A question....

Default A question....

Ok this is really more of a personell question & I won't be offended either way with the response.

Over the season I have made a conscious & deliberate attempt to change the style & content of my postings.

Gone are the days of my 30,000 word posts & endless harpings of player movement (or lacktherof). When we made the switch over to Pacersdigest I got the very distinct impression that my over the top posts just weren't going to jive with the newer style of posting. So I have made it a point to respond to more threads & start less of my own. I have made it a point to make short, hopefully pithy, comments instead of my long drawn out responses.

The question is, is it working?

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I've gone back over some recent posts of mine & I just haven't been all that happy with them.

Has anybody even noticed or better yet does anybody even care?

I should just shut up now.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: A question....

I've noticed you haven't been writing as much. Personally I like your long posts, that's your style, and since you mostly <grin> know what you're talking about your style works for me.

My vote, for what it's worth, is do what you are comfortable with.

I'm asking because I honestly don't know. I've gone back over some recent posts of mine & I just haven't been all that happy with them.

Write for yourself. Do what makes you happy, man.

not everyones gonna agree with ya dude. Not really a big deal eh? I know I'm not losing sleep over how you make your posts, except that ONE post you made, man what were you thinking? I spat on my monitor after THAT one.

haha jk, lighten up :P

Please yourself first. If you try to please 'everybody' you tend to end up pleasing nobody.

Do what feels right to you.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Peck, this is why you are the MAN.

Not sure if you remember or if you even read what I posted a couple of days ago, but I said then that your posts seemed different lately. Yes shorter, yes more conversational which I like, but they did not have the same bite as they used to. I figured it was simply because the Pacers were going so well.

But now you seem to see the difference yourself. If you could from time to time do your long posts as you used to but also keep doing your shorter posts and the more conversational posts that would be ideal.

Only saying this because you asked and I care.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say write the way you feel most comfortable.

Mood

I agree with everyone who says do what makes you happy.

My take, I like your shorter, more conversational posts, and if at all possible would like to see you keep doing that while occasionally posting one of your trademark essays. I like seeing you stick your head in the window of many of the posts around here. But at the same time, you can always give us an essay or two to grade.

Peck, everyone who's here is for enjoyment/entertainment.

Post what makes you happy. For my money I used to like your long posts even though I rarely responded to them in their entirety but rather to bits and pieces.

Plus I enjoy getting something of a game summary from someone who's in the stands at all the home games - it gives a lot more "feel" to a game than an ESPN recap.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo

I agree do what makes you happy. I liked the long ones but maybe I am wierd. ed:

I've noticed you haven't been writing as much. Personally I like your long posts, that's your style, and since you mostly <grin> know what you're talking about your style works for me.

My vote, for what it's worth, is do what you are comfortable with.
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

But since you appear to need some guidelines: I expect at minimum three 1,000 word posts from you, per day. One must appear under your "Odd Thoughts" byline. The other two can be your choice. You are required to make at least 6 responses to responses to your posts. The length of these can be of your choosing. Every 20 games you are required to devote 20,000 words to the state of the Pacers, covering each player, each coach, and the funny looking guy with the clipboard who stands behind the bench. Once a month, at your option, you may launch into a rant on A) Ol' Bug-eye's willingness to settle for just being competitive or B) Dale Davis.

There. Hopefully that gives you some direction. :-)

Oh, and Peck, I don't think I've ever done this before, and I'm pretty sure I won't ever again, but this is for you.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Peck, I wish you would never post again.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Let me add that I thought the "Emissary Thoughts" thread that you posted here some time ago was one of your best (and longest, if I recall). It certainly sparked a lot of discussion, which to me is what these boards are about. Who knows why some topics take off and others don't, but I can guarantee you it has little to do with the length of the opening post. If people find what you have to say compelling enough, they're going to respond regardless of length. I guess what I'm saying is, write for yourself first. Keep the audience in the back of your mind, but don't self-edit yourself based on what you think they might like. You don't know what they want to hear from you.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically, when you have something to say, then post it. If a thread is started, and you have something to say, especially if it is something that has not been brought up yet, then post it the best way you can to convey your exact thoughts.

I'm very wordy. I know it. My posts are sometimes lengthy in explaining my position on things. Oftentimes, I don't even contribute to a thread if my point has already been made. But I will expound on the posts of others when they are similar to mine, but only if I have something to add. Or I may contribute to a thread in support of another if that person is significantly outnumbered in the argument.

I guess what I am saying is that only you know what your comfort level is. But by all means, be wordy enough to convey your exact meaning.

For what it's worth, on the occassion that my opinion disagrees from yours, I've found your posts to be engaging. Whether they are 30 words or 500 words. The important thing for me..... please just keep posting.

Don't worry about it, man. I personally like pithy over rambling as a general matter, but that's partially because my own tendency is to ramble.

If it makes you happy...
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Be happy with whatever you write.

That happiness will show in your writting & it will make it just that much better.

We are gonna read them either way.

Wish I felt a little more comfortable to reply more offen.

Just as everyone else has said, do whatever you feel like doing. Personally, I liked your long posts...they were very insightful.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Peck, I kind of enjoy the long posts but do whatever you feel like. It's like not the quality has been suffering because of the length.

Write as little or as much as ya want.

Depending on the topic, I may or may not read it, but does anyone really care if I do?