Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 87

Thread: A.J "Bush League" Price

  1. #51
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    I truly believe if AJ was allowed to play his game and felt confident in doing so, he could make a very strong back up for us

    I dont know whats going on inside his head , but I do think his recent struggles are mental, because he showed flashes of being a solid player last year
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I truly believe if AJ was allowed to play his game and felt confident in doing so, he could make a very strong back up for us

    I dont know whats going on inside his head , but I do think his recent struggles are mental, because he showed flashes of being a solid player last year
    I think that is the issue, Vogel is giving him too much freedom letting him be himself.

  3. #53
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that is the issue, Vogel is giving him too much freedom letting him be himself.
    Could be, are you saying that Obie was more restrictive with him?
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could be, are you saying that Obie was more restrictive with him?
    Yep he took the ball away from him and DC and also had TJ in case either guy made a mistake, he also played AJ at the two at times because he knew that he was more a 2 than a 1.

  5. #55

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that is the issue, Vogel is giving him too much freedom letting him be himself.
    That's not the issue. I know you've decided what kind of player Price is, but I've seen more of his games. Sorry, I've sat through enough facepalms of Price passing up a shot to give the ball to..lets just say..a player less likely to score..because AJ happened to miss a few shots previously..to know that this isn't his game, and hasn't been for at least three years.

    When AJ had his most freedom, with Calhoun, he was very much a "run the offense and score when my team needs me too" kind of point guard. IMO, that's the ideal mentality.

    Maybe AJ thinks that Vogel wants him to look for his shot first, and is misunderstanding. Or maybe Vogel actually does want AJ to look for his shot first, seeing as he likes to play Price with Dahntay, Brandon, Jeff and Josh. Or, it could be AJ just doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing on offense, so he's just looking to score. I don't know..but I've watched him enough...and Seth for one, who scouted AJ, will back me up, and say this isn't how AJ played in previous years, so it's safe to say this isn't "the real him"
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-28-2011 at 06:00 PM.

  6. #56
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,924
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    If the behavior persists at some point it will eventually become "the real him."
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  8. #57

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the behavior persists at some point it will eventually become "the real him."
    True

    but right now we've got 2 months versus the entire rest of his basketball career.

  9. #58
    He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Today we learned AJ reads PD...11 pts in 11 minutes going into the half, which is already a 3 week high for him.

  10. #59
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    and Seth for one, who scouted AJ, will back me up, and say this isn't how AJ played in previous years, so it's safe to say this isn't "the real him"
    Definitely. He was my 2 year running pet 2nd round sleeper because I wasn't sure if he PHYSICALLY was enough for the NBA, especially post injury, but mentally he seemed like a homerun.

    Frankly if he'd been tracking closer to 20 instead of round 2 I still would have liked him, but as a 2nd round possibility it was just stupid giving the nature if his playing style.

    I feel like the offensive structure says that he and DJones are supposed to shoot a lot.


    As Sookie says, it's a few months of coaching disarray vs years of structured play. Just like Rush fit well in Self's structure but often seems like he's trying to stay out of the way because he's not sure how he fits in.

    I think AJ, Rush and Roy are all looking to understand the overall structure and my guess is there isn't a ton of that from a traditional view. Without a doubt a big part of the problem is Vogel's system - even if he is a great coach with a great scheme it's just too much to think he could get any kind of solid, nuanced version of that in place.

    Teams recognize what the Pacers have shifted to and started taking it away. The JOB tapes stopped being the way to scout the team.

    Maybe if Vogel has time to add to the system, adjust it and coach it up we might have something. But then you could also go to another coach with a system even more developed and matured.



    Anyway it's pretty hilarious that Collison started horrible tonight and it was Price who came in and turned it all around. Guess he doesn't suck so completely that he can't help at least some of the time.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  12. #60
    Member Thoreau87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Can we please kill this thread? Bush league?! R we serious?! The Pacers will have one of, if not the strongest, PG rotations for the next decade if we keep AJ and DC. Can't wait for the AJ for starter threads to pop up in the next couple years.

  13. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we please kill this thread? Bush league?! R we serious?! The Pacers will have one of, if not the strongest, PG rotations for the next decade if we keep AJ and DC. Can't wait for the AJ for starter threads to pop up in the next couple years.
    why?

  14. #62

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    AJ Price = vnzla81 new Mike Dunleavy

    what are you going to do when Mike comes back? What about when they are on the court together?

  15. #63
    Member Thoreau87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why?
    Talent and the right mindset. Why else?

  16. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    AJ Price = vnzla81 new Mike Dunleavy

    what are you going to do when Mike comes back? What about when they are on the court together?
    I actually like Price a little more than DC, go ahead and read almost any of my comments and I always try to include DC, the problem I have with both of our guys is that neither can pass the ball and they are pretty much shooting guards in point guard bodies.


    It looks to me that the only way they can affect the game is by scoring and if they are not scoring they are pretty much worthless, to tell you the true, I don't like point guards that think to score 1st, I don't like Brooks and I didn't like Iverson either.

  17. #65
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    But you can't deduce that we'd have the best PG rotations in the NBA based on one game. And yes I say one game because you posted it after the Boston game. DC can be good, AJ can be good, but one of the best PG rotations in the NBA?

  18. #66
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,213

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    How is AJ's shooting going to improve? He has been the worst shooter by far on the team this year. One game is not going to get my hopes up that suddenly his FG% is on the way up. Isn't he shooting like low 30 percent range for the year?

  19. #67

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is AJ's shooting going to improve? He has been the worst shooter by far on the team this year. One game is not going to get my hopes up that suddenly his FG% is on the way up. Isn't he shooting like low 30 percent range for the year?
    I don't know that it'll be anything better than inconsistent this season. Next season..with hopefully a summer to improve and get his legs under him from his injury, he should be much improved. He's a good shooter typically, we was even much better last season.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  21. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is AJ's shooting going to improve? He has been the worst shooter by far on the team this year. One game is not going to get my hopes up that suddenly his FG% is on the way up. Isn't he shooting like low 30 percent range for the year?
    I don't really care about shooting I care about assits and setting teammates, neither guy can do that, shooting should be their last priority, for example I would love to have Rondo and he can't shoot for s***.

  22. #69
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is AJ's shooting going to improve? He has been the worst shooter by far on the team this year. One game is not going to get my hopes up that suddenly his FG% is on the way up. Isn't he shooting like low 30 percent range for the year?
    You're right.

    I mean he shot an eFG% of .494 last year so how is his shooting going to get worse. He was a decent shooter last year so one bad shooting night this year doesn't mean he'll end up with a .400 eFG% for the year...(said your logic back when AJ had his first awful shooting night this season)

    AJ was 38% FG, 80% FT in JAN (he was 80% FT last year, 72% over 3 college years)
    Then in FEB it goes to 34%/70%
    Then in March it goes to 30%/62%

    Something is affecting him, likely mental due to the FT issues that parallel his regular shooting, and it's blowing his game to pieces.

    I won't guarantee a recovery, but it would certainly seem to be recoverable.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  24. #70
    Member Thoreau87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But you can't deduce that we'd have the best PG rotations in the NBA based on one game. And yes I say one game because you posted it after the Boston game. DC can be good, AJ can be good, but one of the best PG rotations in the NBA?
    I didn't deduce that after one game lol...

    I feel like most people on here fail to realize how young and ridicuosuly talented our PGs are. AJ's been in the lineup for what, half a season. Your ready to say he can't be great? No offense but I trust Vogel's valuation of AJ over yours.

    On to DC. He is arguably the fastest player in the NBA and has all the talent in the world. Please take a second to remember how young they are (while playing on a young roster with a green HC) and quit being so hard on them.

  25. #71
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,608

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Second year player, come ON folks.

    You'd think these are the only guys that take a step back (or haven't found their footing to take a step forward yet) in their 2nd year in the NBA.

    Not every player is meant to be a superstar who breaks the mold every year of his career. Especially players with enough limitations to be drafted in the 2nd round.
    Last edited by BillS; 03-29-2011 at 01:13 AM.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  27. #72
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,213

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really care about shooting I care about assits and setting teammates, neither guy can do that, shooting should be their last priority, for example I would love to have Rondo and he can't shoot for s***.
    I do care about his shooting when he has a tendency to look for his shot first as he has much of this year. Believe me I wish he would shoot less and distribute more.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:


  29. #73
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,634

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Definitely. He was my 2 year running pet 2nd round sleeper because I wasn't sure if he PHYSICALLY was enough for the NBA, especially post injury, but mentally he seemed like a homerun.

    Frankly if he'd been tracking closer to 20 instead of round 2 I still would have liked him, but as a 2nd round possibility it was just stupid giving the nature if his playing style.

    I feel like the offensive structure says that he and DJones are supposed to shoot a lot.


    As Sookie says, it's a few months of coaching disarray vs years of structured play. Just like Rush fit well in Self's structure but often seems like he's trying to stay out of the way because he's not sure how he fits in.

    I think AJ, Rush and Roy are all looking to understand the overall structure and my guess is there isn't a ton of that from a traditional view. Without a doubt a big part of the problem is Vogel's system - even if he is a great coach with a great scheme it's just too much to think he could get any kind of solid, nuanced version of that in place.

    Teams recognize what the Pacers have shifted to and started taking it away. The JOB tapes stopped being the way to scout the team.

    Maybe if Vogel has time to add to the system, adjust it and coach it up we might have something. But then you could also go to another coach with a system even more developed and matured.
    Stupid question....but if we were to replace Vogel with the "Coach du jour" for Bird....does Mike Brown have a structured offense?

    If not, what other Coach does have a structured offense and is considered a solid defensive minded Coach?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  30. #74
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stupid question....but if we were to replace Vogel with the "Coach du jour" for Bird....does Mike Brown have a structured offense?
    Not a stupid question, but an impossible question to answer. The only time he's run his own offense was with Lebron James, and it's almost assuredly the case that any offense he runs without him would be extremely different.

    If you're any sane coach, you tailor your offense around James. Brown did that. I can't imagine that we can really take away much of any substance from what we saw offensively from Brown's Cleveland teams.

    Right now, we don't have anyone that you need to tailor your offense around, so I'd imagine, if Brown took the job, what we see here wouldn't look anything like what we saw in Cleveland.

  31. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: A.J "Bush League" Price

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know that it'll be anything better than inconsistent this season. Next season..with hopefully a summer to improve and get his legs under him from his injury, he should be much improved. He's a good shooter typically, we was even much better last season.
    So Sookie, can you explain to me why is the guy shooting so much and looking for his shot so much if he is not 100% healthy? Don't you think that if he was hurt he should be more passive on offense and more of a ball distributor than a guy who looks to shot everytime?

    Just look at Tmac as an example, the guy used to be the man few years ago now he knows he is not the same guy, what is he doing now? He is passing the ball and tries to create for others, I don't know but is that too much to ask from your point guard?(either AJ or DC)
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-29-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. comments from an O'brien supporter - warning its lengthy :)
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 04:02 PM
  2. Though not full strength, Price Pacers' best player thus far
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 07:45 PM
  3. Price ready for second chance
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2010, 06:41 PM
  4. O'Brien talks about Price, PGs
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
  5. A.J. Price appreciates chance with Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 03:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •