Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

P4E,

I agree with you, but all reports were nobody wanted him.

Who knows why, but I have a hard time seeing this as him being done "dirty"

Now if I was the GM, I would think I would want him to be at practice at a minimum, but in the same breath you have to try to make both sides happy.

If TJ isn't worth vet minimum then he is going to be very surprised next contract time.

He made the choice not to lose any money.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is better than Carlos Arroyo. Arroyo can shoot? since when? he is 34% from 3 for his career.
    Which puts him right in the middle between TJ Ford and Ray Allen. In fact, if you genetically engineer a cross between Ray Allen and TJ, you'd have to name it Arroyo.
    Look, Arroyo is terrible, and so is Mike Bibby btw at this point, and yet no sane person would want TJ taking a shot over Arroyo.

Lets see, I'm the Celtics. I need a guy to play 8 min a game in the playoffs, and not screw it up while Rondo gets a breather.

Do I take a guy who shot 295-634 (.465) over the last two years (Arroyo), or a guy who shot 276-647 (.425) (Ford)?
    Do I take a guy who averaged 4 turnovers per 48 minutes the last two years (Ford), or the guy who averaged 2 (Arroyo)?
    Do I take someone who was in the finals (Arroyo) or someone with first round no-pressure, cannon meat experience (TJ)?
    Finally, if I have to choose between two terrible players, do I take the one with huge kahones (remember the US - Puerto Rico)?

If I want a guy for 8 mins in the finals, no way I'm taking TJ over Arroyo. Arroyo is the lesser evil.
    Last edited by ballism; 03-27-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Accidents Do Occur

I dont understand what happened?

Did he do something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Whenever you are dealing with professional sports you almost have to throw the "they are paying him ___ amount of money so no he is not being done dirty" thoughts out the window.

Yes, if you get paid to play a game or in this case not play any one of us can rightfully say that they are making money to do nothing. I'll freely concede that fact. So in that case nobody who plays a game for pay has any right to complain about anything. I get that.

However beyond that, these guys are human. They are the best at what they do and have dedicated their entire lives to being the best at what they do. To them this is the life that they know, money is a very large part of it no doubt. But at some point in time there are rewards beyond monetary compensation.
    I understand what you are getting at but based on the premise that sometimes playing and winning is more important, in TJ's case that was not the situation. He chose full salary guarantee. He could have taken less and played probably for someone. There are a lot of facts we just don't know.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I understand what you are getting at but based on the premise that sometimes playing and winning is more important, in TJ's case that was not the situation. He chose full salary guarantee. He could have taken less and played probably for someone. There are a lot of facts we just don't know.
    I really dont think a player who has a guaranteed contract should be put in a position to choose whether or not he wants to play or get paid. He and the Pacers signed the deal and that part is history. On the playing side, who in their right mind could argue that he is not worthy of playing time. No way AJ will ever be as good as TJ is now. TJ is also better than DC is now too. So, the best pg on the roster is not getting to play. Doesnt sound fair to me. But I am not crying for a guy making $8mill.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I really dont think a player who has a guaranteed contract should be put in a position to choose whether or not he wants to play or get paid.
    Why not? Let's suppose he was unarguably the worst of the 3 so getting paid or playing would be very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is this speculation or do you know this? Obviously, no trade came up that the Pacers liked but that doesn't mean no one was interested in trading for him. And has anyone in a position to know actually stated there was no interest in signing him if he was released?

I'm curious if you're stating some inside info or just making an educated guess?
    Educated guess. By 'no interest' I meant not enough to get a deal done. But I'm still doubtful interest was ever even particularly high. Not at that salary. Especially when you see how his would-be free agency before March 1st played out.

By the way, even if we switch up the wordplay and go with 'poorly handled' instead of 'done dirty', I still don't agree. This is professional in BOTH directions, and it's a business. Just because he might have gotten his feelings a little hurt, that's not nearly enough 'badness' for me to say it was handled poorly or that he was mistreated enough to have a thread asking about it in the first place.

If you're asking me if TJ feels like things could have worked differently, I'd say maybe, but that's as far as it goes as far as I'm concerned.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Why not? Let's suppose he was unarguably the worst of the 3 so getting paid or playing would be very reasonable.
    But that is clearly not the case. My point was that he shouldnt have been put in that position because he is arguably the best pg on the team. If he was the worst, then I would agree with you that being put in that position is not a bad thing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    But that is clearly not the case. My point was that he shouldnt have been put in that position because he is arguably the best pg on the team. If he was the worst, then I would agree with you that being put in that position is not a bad thing.
    On any given day all 3 can be the best or worst. I agree with you that if you pay him play him and don't make him out to be a pariah. I would think that the pacers behaved badly in that regard and Posey is next.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Accidents Do Occur View Post
    I dont understand what happened?

Did he do something wrong?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Mood

He should have taken the money.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    He should have taken the money.
    He is taking the money. Why take less if no one wanted to sign him?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

All,

Peck's mea culpa renders my original point meaningless.

I think both sides have met their obligation here, and it's just one of those things that occur in professional sports. The point has been made here that management has mishandled the situation, and while I don't necessarily agree, I underatand that a compelling case can be made in that regard. Many here seem to feel that T.J. could help this team right now as much as either #2 or #12, and that's one of the reasons that it's fun (and frustrating) to watch and follow sports, no? At one time or another, we all feel like we could make decisions that would help our teams better than the decisions that are actually being made.

MJB

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

I'm confused by this thread. I thought many if not most wanted the young guys to play. I heard for years how AJ is the answer, that he is better than TJ, or at least that he will be better so play him.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm confused by this thread. I thought many if not most wanted the young guys to play. I heard for years how AJ is the answer, that he is better than TJ, or at least that he will be better so play him.
    Come on now, you never once heard that.

Good backup? Probably. As good as the starter? Maybe. The answer? Never.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I always felt we would never be able accurately to judge the talent we had on the team while Jim was coaching. Things are becoming clearer now. They just aren't that good.. or maybe I should say, they just aren't very basketball smart.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    There can be almost no argument that they have bungled handling T.J. this past season but now I have to question whether or not they did him dirty.

Unless there is something we don't know, by all reports T.J. was not a trouble maker, showed up to every practice, team function and even P.R. events that he was required to go to.

Since Pacers could not arrange a trade for him why in the world would they just not outright release him so he could sign with another team?

I mean if they had any intention of using him at all, sure keep him around. But as of now he is no longer even with the club. He was supposed to just not go to road games but he wasn't even at the home game the other night and per twitter he was in Houston.

I just don't get this one. I mean he made it clear two seasons ago that he was going to pick up the option on his contract and he would honor his requirements and would make the team honor their part of it as well (in other words he wasn't going to take a cheap buy out).

So we are paying him to do absolutely nothing either way, why not just cut ties with the guy so he can get on with his career.

Or better yet, suite him up as there have been plenty of times that he would have been a far better option than what we had available to us.
    TJ Ford is currently the best option the Pacers have by far. What I dont understand, unless their is some issues behind close doors we are not privy to, Ford has said all the right things and ha been the consummate professional yet he is given the "Tinsley treatment"

If you wont play Lance because you're trying to win NOW, then by that strategy, TJ should have never been made inactive

I said this before and I stand by it. TJ is much ,much better player than AJ right now
    Sittin on top of the world!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    So this swings from "the Pacers would have been doing him a favor to buy him out so he could sign with someone else" to "the Pacers are jerks (or worse) for not buying him out for his full salary by releasing him so he could sign with someone else".

The question should be, why would the Pacers pay someone's salary to play against them? If there was something in it for them (like some reduction in that salary), fine, but it was TJ who made it clear he wouldn't sign a buyout unless there was pretty much a guarantee someone was ready to sign him on. How does that get twisted to being the Pacers doing him dirt?

We sure are quick to dump on the FO, aren't we?
    I dont think TJ was treated fairly his entire year here. He was castrated from the moment he played here when , prof is showing he was the best option we had. If someone could said he was the least talented of the three that is one thing

I dont think thats the case though

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    TJ Ford is currently the best option the Pacers have by far. What I dont understand, unless their is some issues behind close doors we are not privy to, Ford has said all the right things and ha been the consummate professional yet he is given the "Tinsley treatment"

If you wont play Lance because you're trying to win NOW, then by that strategy, TJ should have never been made inactive

I said this before and I stand by it. TJ is much ,much better player than AJ right now
    Much better than DC right now too.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Count me out of the "TJ is our best point guard" line of thinking. I think this is a case of another Pacers bench legend. It's happened before. I'm trying to remember who some of the most recent people were, but the guys that stop playing seem to always get better and better in some fans' eyes the longer he sits and the longer his replacements struggle.

There's a reason TJ Ford didn't work out, and there's a reason we have no interest in bringing him back. We have 4 point guards who currently don't cut it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Count me out of the "TJ is our best point guard" line of thinking. I think this is a case of another Pacers bench legend. It's happened before. I'm trying to remember who some of the most recent people were, but the guys that stop playing seem to always get better and better in some fans' eyes the longer he sits and the longer his replacements struggle.

There's a reason TJ Ford didn't work out, and there's a reason we have no interest in bringing him back. We have 4 point guards who currently don't cut it.

I think that TJ has at least proven more effective, in the past then AJ/DC
    and if given the time, would produce much better than the current DC/AJ

Im going to post this question on the hoopsworld chat and see what they say

Wells tweet

@El_Peckbo yes, the pacers the did NOT handle the Ford situation properly 6:21 AM Mar 27th via web in reply to El_Peckbo
    Wells seems to agree