Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

Banned

Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

It looks to me like they decided to let him go home after the locker room issues, coincidence? I don't think so.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ford played himself into the position he is in now. Doesn't anyone remember how horrible TJ has been the majority of his time in a Pacer uniform, I haven't forgot.

Am I happy with our PG play as of late? Heck no, but I'll be happy if TJ never suits up for a another Pacer game ever. He has never been part of the plans long term or short term. For the most part he's been a solid citizen and not complained, but he's making 8.5 million to do nothing, so screw him.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks to me like they decided to let him go home after the locker room issues, coincidence? I don't think so.
    That decision was made before the locker room issues became public, regardless, TJ Ford had nothing to do with it.

So yeah, it's a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    It's even more perplexing considering the guy was as far from a distraction as we have from our veterans on the team.
    Despite all of the diplomatic comments TJ has made in public, I'm still surprised about this.

I totally understand why TJ hasn't played, and in principle I agree with the idea of playing the players that will be here next season, but I'm very curious about how TJ would've played under Vogel. Short term he may have been the best option.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Despite all of the diplomatic comments TJ has made in public, I'm still surprised about this.

I totally understand why TJ hasn't played, and in principle I agree with the idea of playing the players that will be here next season, but I'm very curious about how TJ would've played under Vogel. Short term he may have been the best option.
    He's one of the most popular guys in the locker room. Not so much on the court.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

the jamaal tinsley treatment ehhh
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

4) No one was interested in trading for him, or later even signing him for cheap.
    Is this speculation or do you know this? Obviously, no trade came up that the Pacers liked but that doesn't mean no one was interested in trading for him. And has anyone in a position to know actually stated there was no interest in signing him if he was released?

I'm curious if you're stating some inside info or just making an educated guess?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I think the Pacers are doing the Pacers dirty by not having a guy on the team they are paying. Especially with the PG play as of late, may as well have him on the bench as an option.

Mood

He gets paid 8m they didnt do him dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is this speculation or do you know this? Obviously, no trade came up that the Pacers liked but that doesn't mean no one was interested in trading for him. And has anyone in a position to know actually stated there was no interest in signing him if he was released?

I'm curious if you're stating some inside info or just making an educated guess?
    TJ was quoted as saying that he'd lost his last option when one of the contenders got a new PG. I think it was when Miami got Bibby. It's not speculation, he was quoted. There wasn't any secret that his agent was looking for other opportunities for him. But nope, I don't want to look for the link.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Whenever you are dealing with professional sports you almost have to throw the "they are paying him ___ amount of money so no he is not being done dirty" thoughts out the window.

Yes, if you get paid to play a game or in this case not play any one of us can rightfully say that they are making money to do nothing. I'll freely concede that fact. So in that case nobody who plays a game for pay has any right to complain about anything. I get that.

However beyond that, these guys are human. They are the best at what they do and have dedicated their entire lives to being the best at what they do. To them this is the life that they know, money is a very large part of it no doubt. But at some point in time there are rewards beyond monetary compensation.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Whenever you are dealing with professional sports you almost have to throw the "they are paying him ___ amount of money so no he is not being done dirty" thoughts out the window.

Yes, if you get paid to play a game or in this case not play any one of us can rightfully say that they are making money to do nothing. I'll freely concede that fact. So in that case nobody who plays a game for pay has any right to complain about anything. I get that.

However beyond that, these guys are human. They are the best at what they do and have dedicated their entire lives to being the best at what they do. To them this is the life that they know, money is a very large part of it no doubt. But at some point in time there are rewards beyond monetary compensation.
    I would glady take 8m to be told i cant play.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Crew,

You can debate whether or not the Pacers handled the Ford situation properly, but to suggest they "did him dirty" is absurd.

He has handled himself professionally. That's his obligation. The Pacers are paying him. That's there obligation. Why should they, in essence, pay him to play for somebody else?

This is professional sports, not some local club operation. Sometimes things don't work out. T.J. Will have ample opportunity to find a better situation after this season.

MJB

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    Crew,

You can debate whether or not the Pacers handled the Ford situation properly, but to suggest they "did him dirty" is absurd.

He has handled himself professionally. That's his obligation. The Pacers are paying him. That's there obligation. Why should they, in essence, pay him to play for somebody else?

This is professional sports, not some local club operation. Sometimes things don't work out. T.J. Will have ample opportunity to find a better situation after this season.

MJB
    Mark, Don't you think the Pacers could really use him right now? Why are they being so stubborn by not bringing him back to play?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Sure, so would I.

However neither of us have worked our entire lives to be one of the best in the world. As bad as T.J. may or may not be, he can only be compared to other people who have dedicated their lives to being one of a very select few group of people who are qualified to make that kind of money doing this type of activity.

In essence that is really the problem with this kind of thinking, not saying you are wrong for thinking it btw.

But it's not like they pick a random person off of the street to pay that kind of money to. It is a two way process. First the person has to have the skill level to qualify for this money and then the team & player have to agree to the money.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Twitter:

@MikeWellsNBA
    Mike Wells
    @El_Peckbo yes, the pacers the did NOT handle the Ford situation properly

Lurking

I was under the impression that TJ didn't want to be bought out unless there was a taker for his talents. I have to assume that nobody would have signed him therefore it was his decision to take the money and sit.

I do not think we did him wrong here, I think it was 50/50 his choice to be where he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    Crew,

MJB
    I regret the decision to use the term "dirty" to be honest with you. I should have just used the phrase "did they handle the situation properly"?

It would have made the same statement/question without the use of hyperbole.

My bad.

Me too, but I'm not a pro player. Most of these guys do love to play. So, if you (the team) can let the guy play elsewhere instead of wasting time at the end of his career, it's only honourable to do so. Especially when you can save a little money by doing so.

That said, TJ (reportedly) received no interest from other teams. So I see nothing wrong in keeping him as an injury precaution. His current situation isn't any different in reality than had he been waived.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

TJ as a person is a great guy and he's handled the whole situation well.

He's done a lot in the community during his time here and I hope where ever he signs, he's happy with it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Me too, but I'm not a pro player. Most of these guys do love to play. So, if you (the team) can let the guy play elsewhere instead of wasting time at the end of his career, it's only honourable to do so. Especially when you can save a little money by doing so.

That said, TJ (reportedly) received no interest from other teams. So I see nothing wrong in keeping him as an injury precaution. His current situation isn't any different in reality than had he been waived.
    The thing was if he really wanted to play he could have took the buyout wehich would have gave him almost all the money he was owed. But he chose not to thats on TJ. I cant blame him for not wanting all his money but if he really wanted to play he could of took the buyout. Boston signed carlos arroyo. Im sure Boston would of took TJ instead the guy could of got signed. Im sure the Bobcats would of took a look also. The Nets could of used him also. He chose not too so I cant feel bad for him he choose $$ over playing.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

The thing was if he really wanted to play he could have took the buyout wehich would have gave him almost all the money he was owed. But he chose not to thats on TJ. I cant blame him for not wanting all his money but if he really wanted to play he could of took the buyout. Boston signed carlos arroyo. Im sure Boston would of took TJ instead the guy could of got signed. Im sure the Bobcats would of took a look also. The Nets could of used him also. He chose not too so I cant feel bad for him he choose $$ over playing.
    Ok, but why are you sure? When there were reports to the opposite.
    Why would you assume money are just raining out there for TJ from playoff contenders? Has he been deep in the playoffs? Is he a known clutch performer? Is he a Ron Harper or Robert Horry or Derrek Fisher? No, he's a guy who spent his career on bad bad teams, can't shoot and hasn't been good for years. At least Mike Bibby and Arroyo can make a 3 and have been deep in the playoffs.

There were reports that no playoff team was interested, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. That's why he didn't take a pay cut. If someone wanted him, I'm sure there would be a buyout. It's his contract year, surely he wants to play.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    Ok, but why are you sure? When there were reports to the opposite.
    Why would you assume money are just raining out there for TJ from playoff contenders? Has he been deep in the playoffs? Is he a known clutch performer? Is he a Ron Harper or Robert Horry or Derrek Fisher? No, he's a guy who spent his career on bad bad teams, can't shoot and hasn't been good for years. At least Mike Bibby and Arroyo can make a 3 and have been deep in the playoffs.

There were reports that no playoff team was interested, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. That's why he didn't take a pay cut. If someone wanted him, I'm sure there would be a buyout. It's his contract year, surely he wants to play.
    He is better than Carlos Arroyo. Arroyo can shoot? since when? he is 34% from 3 for his career.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Arroyo knows miami's playbook tho

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Arroyo knows miami's playbook tho
    I know Miamis playbook. It is just basic PnR basketball. Thats why Miami fans dont like Spo he runs very basic plays now that he has Bosh and Lebron. All the Pacers run is thumbs down which is basic pnr and some off ball action. Plus the alley hoop type pass from Roy to DG where DG comes off a back screen and gets open for the lob pass. Most teams know what the other team is gonna run. If you watch film on the team it wont take to much time to figure out the plays they run.Vogel proably knows every teams play book for the most part after watching film on the team gameplanning days before the game.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.