Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85

Thread: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

  1. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    It looks to me like they decided to let him go home after the locker room issues, coincidence? I don't think so.

  2. #27
    Gold Stagger Hoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood
    Posts
    4,519
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Ford played himself into the position he is in now. Doesn't anyone remember how horrible TJ has been the majority of his time in a Pacer uniform, I haven't forgot.

    Am I happy with our PG play as of late? Heck no, but I'll be happy if TJ never suits up for a another Pacer game ever. He has never been part of the plans long term or short term. For the most part he's been a solid citizen and not complained, but he's making 8.5 million to do nothing, so screw him.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It looks to me like they decided to let him go home after the locker room issues, coincidence? I don't think so.
    That decision was made before the locker room issues became public, regardless, TJ Ford had nothing to do with it.

    So yeah, it's a coincidence.

  5. #29
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's even more perplexing considering the guy was as far from a distraction as we have from our veterans on the team.
    Despite all of the diplomatic comments TJ has made in public, I'm still surprised about this.


    I totally understand why TJ hasn't played, and in principle I agree with the idea of playing the players that will be here next season, but I'm very curious about how TJ would've played under Vogel. Short term he may have been the best option.

  6. #30
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,081

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Despite all of the diplomatic comments TJ has made in public, I'm still surprised about this.


    I totally understand why TJ hasn't played, and in principle I agree with the idea of playing the players that will be here next season, but I'm very curious about how TJ would've played under Vogel. Short term he may have been the best option.
    He's one of the most popular guys in the locker room. Not so much on the court.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  8. #31

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    the jamaal tinsley treatment ehhh
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  9. #32
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    4) No one was interested in trading for him, or later even signing him for cheap.
    Is this speculation or do you know this? Obviously, no trade came up that the Pacers liked but that doesn't mean no one was interested in trading for him. And has anyone in a position to know actually stated there was no interest in signing him if he was released?

    I'm curious if you're stating some inside info or just making an educated guess?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #33

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    I think the Pacers are doing the Pacers dirty by not having a guy on the team they are paying. Especially with the PG play as of late, may as well have him on the bench as an option.

  11. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    He gets paid 8m they didnt do him dirty.

  12. #35

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this speculation or do you know this? Obviously, no trade came up that the Pacers liked but that doesn't mean no one was interested in trading for him. And has anyone in a position to know actually stated there was no interest in signing him if he was released?

    I'm curious if you're stating some inside info or just making an educated guess?
    TJ was quoted as saying that he'd lost his last option when one of the contenders got a new PG. I think it was when Miami got Bibby. It's not speculation, he was quoted. There wasn't any secret that his agent was looking for other opportunities for him. But nope, I don't want to look for the link.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:


  14. #36
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,505

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Whenever you are dealing with professional sports you almost have to throw the "they are paying him ___ amount of money so no he is not being done dirty" thoughts out the window.

    Yes, if you get paid to play a game or in this case not play any one of us can rightfully say that they are making money to do nothing. I'll freely concede that fact. So in that case nobody who plays a game for pay has any right to complain about anything. I get that.

    However beyond that, these guys are human. They are the best at what they do and have dedicated their entire lives to being the best at what they do. To them this is the life that they know, money is a very large part of it no doubt. But at some point in time there are rewards beyond monetary compensation.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  16. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whenever you are dealing with professional sports you almost have to throw the "they are paying him ___ amount of money so no he is not being done dirty" thoughts out the window.

    Yes, if you get paid to play a game or in this case not play any one of us can rightfully say that they are making money to do nothing. I'll freely concede that fact. So in that case nobody who plays a game for pay has any right to complain about anything. I get that.

    However beyond that, these guys are human. They are the best at what they do and have dedicated their entire lives to being the best at what they do. To them this is the life that they know, money is a very large part of it no doubt. But at some point in time there are rewards beyond monetary compensation.
    I would glady take 8m to be told i cant play.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  18. #38

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Crew,

    You can debate whether or not the Pacers handled the Ford situation properly, but to suggest they "did him dirty" is absurd.

    He has handled himself professionally. That's his obligation. The Pacers are paying him. That's there obligation. Why should they, in essence, pay him to play for somebody else?

    This is professional sports, not some local club operation. Sometimes things don't work out. T.J. Will have ample opportunity to find a better situation after this season.

    MJB

  19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  20. #39

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crew,

    You can debate whether or not the Pacers handled the Ford situation properly, but to suggest they "did him dirty" is absurd.

    He has handled himself professionally. That's his obligation. The Pacers are paying him. That's there obligation. Why should they, in essence, pay him to play for somebody else?

    This is professional sports, not some local club operation. Sometimes things don't work out. T.J. Will have ample opportunity to find a better situation after this season.

    MJB
    Mark, Don't you think the Pacers could really use him right now? Why are they being so stubborn by not bringing him back to play?

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  22. #40
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,505

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would glady take 8m to be told i cant play.
    Sure, so would I.

    However neither of us have worked our entire lives to be one of the best in the world. As bad as T.J. may or may not be, he can only be compared to other people who have dedicated their lives to being one of a very select few group of people who are qualified to make that kind of money doing this type of activity.

    In essence that is really the problem with this kind of thinking, not saying you are wrong for thinking it btw.

    But it's not like they pick a random person off of the street to pay that kind of money to. It is a two way process. First the person has to have the skill level to qualify for this money and then the team & player have to agree to the money.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  23. #41
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,505

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Twitter:


    @MikeWellsNBA
    Mike Wells
    @El_Peckbo yes, the pacers the did NOT handle the Ford situation properly


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  24. #42
    Lurking
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    90

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    I was under the impression that TJ didn't want to be bought out unless there was a taker for his talents. I have to assume that nobody would have signed him therefore it was his decision to take the money and sit.

    I do not think we did him wrong here, I think it was 50/50 his choice to be where he is now.

  25. #43
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,505

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crew,

    You can debate whether or not the Pacers handled the Ford situation properly, but to suggest they "did him dirty" is absurd.

    He has handled himself professionally. That's his obligation. The Pacers are paying him. That's there obligation. Why should they, in essence, pay him to play for somebody else?

    This is professional sports, not some local club operation. Sometimes things don't work out. T.J. Will have ample opportunity to find a better situation after this season.

    MJB
    I regret the decision to use the term "dirty" to be honest with you. I should have just used the phrase "did they handle the situation properly"?

    It would have made the same statement/question without the use of hyperbole.

    My bad.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  26. #44
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would glady take 8m to be told i cant play.
    Me too, but I'm not a pro player. Most of these guys do love to play. So, if you (the team) can let the guy play elsewhere instead of wasting time at the end of his career, it's only honourable to do so. Especially when you can save a little money by doing so.

    That said, TJ (reportedly) received no interest from other teams. So I see nothing wrong in keeping him as an injury precaution. His current situation isn't any different in reality than had he been waived.

  27. #45
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    TJ as a person is a great guy and he's handled the whole situation well.

    He's done a lot in the community during his time here and I hope where ever he signs, he's happy with it.

  28. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me too, but I'm not a pro player. Most of these guys do love to play. So, if you (the team) can let the guy play elsewhere instead of wasting time at the end of his career, it's only honourable to do so. Especially when you can save a little money by doing so.

    That said, TJ (reportedly) received no interest from other teams. So I see nothing wrong in keeping him as an injury precaution. His current situation isn't any different in reality than had he been waived.
    The thing was if he really wanted to play he could have took the buyout wehich would have gave him almost all the money he was owed. But he chose not to thats on TJ. I cant blame him for not wanting all his money but if he really wanted to play he could of took the buyout. Boston signed carlos arroyo. Im sure Boston would of took TJ instead the guy could of got signed. Im sure the Bobcats would of took a look also. The Nets could of used him also. He chose not too so I cant feel bad for him he choose $$ over playing.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  30. #47
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing was if he really wanted to play he could have took the buyout wehich would have gave him almost all the money he was owed. But he chose not to thats on TJ. I cant blame him for not wanting all his money but if he really wanted to play he could of took the buyout. Boston signed carlos arroyo. Im sure Boston would of took TJ instead the guy could of got signed. Im sure the Bobcats would of took a look also. The Nets could of used him also. He chose not too so I cant feel bad for him he choose $$ over playing.
    Ok, but why are you sure? When there were reports to the opposite.
    Why would you assume money are just raining out there for TJ from playoff contenders? Has he been deep in the playoffs? Is he a known clutch performer? Is he a Ron Harper or Robert Horry or Derrek Fisher? No, he's a guy who spent his career on bad bad teams, can't shoot and hasn't been good for years. At least Mike Bibby and Arroyo can make a 3 and have been deep in the playoffs.

    There were reports that no playoff team was interested, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. That's why he didn't take a pay cut. If someone wanted him, I'm sure there would be a buyout. It's his contract year, surely he wants to play.

  31. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, but why are you sure? When there were reports to the opposite.
    Why would you assume money are just raining out there for TJ from playoff contenders? Has he been deep in the playoffs? Is he a known clutch performer? Is he a Ron Harper or Robert Horry or Derrek Fisher? No, he's a guy who spent his career on bad bad teams, can't shoot and hasn't been good for years. At least Mike Bibby and Arroyo can make a 3 and have been deep in the playoffs.

    There were reports that no playoff team was interested, and there's no reason to believe otherwise. That's why he didn't take a pay cut. If someone wanted him, I'm sure there would be a buyout. It's his contract year, surely he wants to play.
    He is better than Carlos Arroyo. Arroyo can shoot? since when? he is 34% from 3 for his career.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-27-2011 at 05:11 PM.

  32. #49
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,880

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Arroyo knows miami's playbook tho

  33. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Bonaventure, NY
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Did management do T.J. Ford dirty?

    Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arroyo knows miami's playbook tho
    I know Miamis playbook. It is just basic PnR basketball. Thats why Miami fans dont like Spo he runs very basic plays now that he has Bosh and Lebron. All the Pacers run is thumbs down which is basic pnr and some off ball action. Plus the alley hoop type pass from Roy to DG where DG comes off a back screen and gets open for the lob pass. Most teams know what the other team is gonna run. If you watch film on the team it wont take to much time to figure out the plays they run.Vogel proably knows every teams play book for the most part after watching film on the team gameplanning days before the game.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-27-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Time running out on Pacers to trade Ford
    By pwee31 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Pacers guard Ford takes latest demotion in stride
    By flox in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 04:31 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
  5. 04-01-2004
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •