Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brad Stevens as our coach

Default Re: Brad Stevens as our coach

I thought he was beloved? He's going to Lehigh in Pennsylvania. And I would gather that the basketball success didn't hurt his chances of getting that job. Another example of Butler as a stepping stone.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It'd be hard for the incoming president to be any worse than effing BoFo. Butler was never going to get a single dime from me in donations as long as that man remained president. Feel sorry for whatever school has him now.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    nd really is known for its football. or lack of.... depending on which decade.
    It has a great engineering school(my dad used to work there) and a respected law school too.

notre dame? engineering? great?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ring-doctorate

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...g-no-doctorate

i do know of the law school.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    It has a great engineering school(my dad used to work there) and a respected law school too.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

It did when my dad worked there its not as great as Purdue which of course you failed to mention was on that list.

I thought he was beloved? He's going to Lehigh in Pennsylvania. And I would gather that the basketball success didn't hurt his chances of getting that job. Another example of Butler as a stepping stone.
    He was "beloved" by those resume-stuffing students who make it a point to suck up to authority. Otherwise he was reviled. The teachers hated him, and we lost many good teachers because of how impossible his admininstration was to work under. He canned several beloved teachers for no reason at all, and when one student criticized him for this on a blog, he used uni $ to try and SUE the student. We got daily mass emails from him about how bullying and intimidating and threatening the student was, and how he had made several admin types "fear for their lives," when those if us who had read the blog and knew the student knew that this was entirely lies, and that the original comments had been as tame as could be. One of my favorite profs here in the English dept wrote lengthy letters to the editor in the campus paper several times a month detailing the wretchedness of his administration.

The guy was basically no different than the scum you see at the top of our big corporations. Completely delusional and obsessed with his own authority. My girlfriend and I are in control of the funds that constitute one of the most significant yearly donations to BU, and they're somewhat lucky he was ushered out or whatever, as they weren't going to see a dime so long as he was there. Many of his stooges remain, though. Hopefully the new president cleans them out.
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 03-27-2011 at 09:20 PM.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Kaufman, it's kind of irritating to see that you've absorbed the ivy-league academic snobbery. They are not nearly as impressive as they insist they are.

Kaufman, it's kind of irritating to see that you've absorbed the ivy-league academic snobbery. They are not nearly as impressive as they insist they are.
    wow, thats sort of a harsh critique.

i'm sort of irritated that you find that i am absorbed in ivy league snobbery.

i was moreso pointing out views on elite schools. thats not to say that there aren't outstanding products of non-ivy nor crappy products of ivy schools. i do feel that being out of the midwest i get a better sense of how midwest schools and others are perceived by a more academic environment.

keep in mind i am a proud graduate of indiana university in multiple degrees.

the only reason i brought up the ivy league example was to illustrate how people tend to leave indiana for various reasons. being in academic medicine, i left because there were as a whole, better environments. in basketball, a guy like brad stevens might leave because there are better athletic environments.

i grew up no more than 10 miles from where brad stevens grew up. i wanted to stay in indiana up until when i left. i don't think brad stevens will stay for the same reason i left.

whatever the hell snobbery you are talking about i have no idea. i went to a state school and wear my iu sweatshirt proudly despite the suckage of the last 10 years.

Well, at any rate it seems you put much more stock in a given institution's "national reputation." I generally doubt that any US college lives up to the label "elite," especially now that they've all been so thoroughly corporatized. I take the assertion of "elite" academic status as basically being an assertion of class, and it sure seemed like you were enjoying pointing out which institutions were so woefully non-"elite."

Well, at any rate it seems you put much more stock in a given institution's "national reputation." I generally doubt that any US college lives up to the label "elite," especially now that they've all been so thoroughly corporatized. I take the assertion of "elite" academic status as basically being an assertion of class, and it sure seemed like you were enjoying pointing out which institutions were so woefully non-"elite."
    maybe you are right, or maybe it seems that you just feel intimidated by more reputable schools than your own. i don't know.

no matter - i personally went to indiana university, i am proud of that, and it is not an elite school in my opinion.

either way i'm sorry you feel the way you do.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 03-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    1988 Rick Pitino = 52-30 with the Knicks
    1981 Bill Fitch coached Celtics to NBA title (Coached at U of Minnesota)
    PJ Carlisemo
    Not to mention Larry Brown

So, it can be done, its just not that common

Huge difference.

Pitino spent two years as an assistant coach to Hubie brown from 1983-1985. So he knew the NBA game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    Why is that? Sure, there would be an adjustment phase, but our team really isn't good enough to do anything right now anyway. If Brad Stevens were to consider coming to the Pacers, I wouldn't mind the Pacers hiring him to develop him with the rest of the team.

Because the game is soooo different and coaching the NBA game is sooooo different

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Because u said u hate the college system where they play around the premiter and chuck 3s which is how your favorite coach JOB coached.

That is not even close to being factually accurate
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-28-2011 at 09:48 AM.

maybe you are right, or maybe it seems that you just feel intimidated by more reputable schools than your own. i don't know.

Calm down kauffy, no need to get all catty. I'm not saying there isn't some fascinating work being done at our supposedly elite schools. Some of them house the intellectuals whose work I most admire, and I appreciate the resources those schools provide them. But if you're denying either the mass corporatization of US higher education or the classist roots of most elite schools' national "reputation," then I would submit that you might want to ease back on the institutional kool-aid.

And FWIW this isn't borne out of some absurd defense of Butler's national reputation. They're especially guilty of all of this. The policies that BoFo tried to enact in his last few years were some disgusting stuff: transparent efforts to weed out of the student body all but the most egregiously privileged. The only way in which I'd defend Butler is to say that, despite themselves, they have filled their professorships with some truly great people. Almost all my profs were extremely kind and caring, exactly the kind of people you'd want mentoring your children. For that Butler deserves quite a bit of credit.

Trust me, I harbor no illusions about Butler's reputableness. To the extent that they are considered academically rigorous it is a sham, as up to this point the admin was interested in anything but. (A year ago BoFo introduced plans to eliminate half of our library system.) I guess there's hope that th new admin may take an authentic interest in the academic development of BU's students, and while that would be terrific, it's very unlikely considering the institutional forces at play in the new president's selection. (actually they may have chosen already - I'm fairly out of the loop on that decision.)
    Last edited by SoupIsGood; 03-27-2011 at 10:39 PM.

ok i am talking about academic elitism, you are talking about social elitism. i have no knowledge of what you are talking about with regards to classist, frankly.

my example was one of where brad stevens would leave to better his career as i have left to better mine. i have bounced to a more reputable academic institution, as he will possibly bounce to a more reputable athletic institution.

i do not think i have ever attended an (academically) elite school nor do i think i am currently employed by one. i will in the future, but that is a story for another day. brad stevens has to my knowledge ever been involved in an athletically elite school but i also think one is in his future, should he so desire.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post

I think you made a typo there. Northwestern and U of Chicago aren't in Indiana as I'm sure you know. Notre Dame is the only school in the state that I think could be considered an elite academic institution.
    "...only DIVISION I school in the state...", THANK you VERY much.

And even at that I think you diss Butler most greviously.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

lol I wish there was a Purdue Basket ball thread... this would be the headlines... can't believe Painter is close to going to Missouri...smh

There is a Purdue thread.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    "...only DIVISION I school in the state...", THANK you VERY much.

And even at that I think you diss Butler most greviously.
    I really don't think so. Butler is a great school. But it is not elite. By elite I'm talking cream of the crop insitutions. Top 25 universities in the country. Butler does not qualify. I'm an Indiana graduate and I don't see IU or Purdue as elite schools either. Very, very good schools, but not elite.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your post either?

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    lol I wish there was a Purdue Basket ball thread... this would be the headlines... can't believe Painter is close to going to Missouri...smh
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=58627

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

I'm not sure I understand the first part of your post either?
    I assume he means schools like Rose Hulman, DePauw, and Wabash. Not athletically division 1 but elite academically.

Butler is an elite school. According to US News and World Report, Butler is the 2nd ranked regional university in the Midwest.

Among the big schools, which are considered national universities and compared as such, Notre Dame is the best with a ranking of 19. Purdue is 56 and IU is 75.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I assume he means schools like Rose Hulman, DePauw, and Wabash. Not athletically division 1 but elite academically.

Butler is an elite school. According to US News and World Report, Butler is the 2nd ranked regional university in the Midwest.

Among the big schools, which are considered national universities and compared as such, Notre Dame is the best with a ranking of 19. Purdue is 56 and IU is 75.
    We have a fundamental difference of opinion on the meaning of the world elite.
    Last edited by cdash; 03-28-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

We have a fundamentally difference of opinion on the meaning of the world elite.
    2nd is not elite?
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    2nd is not elite?
    Read into that statistic. From the US News description of regional universities:

Regional Universities offer a full range of undergrad programs and some master's programs but few doctoral programs.
    So there is your first qualifier. The second is that it is 2nd in the region. There are 4 different regions they use that ranking system for. So at best, out of all universities with few or no doctoral programs you are 5th best in the country. Would you consider Creighton an elite academic institution? Because they are #1 on that Midwest list. These are good schools, but the national rankings are the ones that are the elite insitutions. Top 15-20 schools in the country are what I'm talking about. No qualifiers. That is elite to me. Butler is elite in the Midwest regional rankings. But not nationally.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I apologize from getting too away from sports/basketball/pacers, but I think of elite as this:

when the average student at an elite school is more intelligent than 90% of students at any other school. In the same logic, 10% of students at the other schools would be average or above average in an elite school.

some elite schools in my mind: harvard, yale, michigan, northwestern, uchicago, umiami, upenn, ucla, princeton, duke, unc, georgetown, cornell?, stanford, columbia, MIT, dartmouth. michigan, cornell probably in the periphery. probably leaving a few off.