Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brad Stevens as our coach

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brad Stevens as our coach

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    big 10+2 won't allow them to join without reasonably reputable football team.
    Maybe not big 10. But i think it is likley they change confernces if offered.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    They will change confernces I bet.The big 10 might ask them to join before to long.
    There is not a snowball's chance in hell that Butler joins the Big Ten.

Maybe not big 10. But i think it is likley they change confernces if offered.
    Their lack of a respectable football program will keep them where they are. Football is where the money is at, not basketball.

AHH don't back down to purdue fan

tom crean - give him another year. worried yes, certain? not yet.
    I'm extraordinarily worried. Every offseason I slowly begin to talk myself into him again, and within 5 games during the season I remember why he drives me insane. I do think Cody Zeller will help immensely. A legit post player will be a huge boon to the Hoosiers. Plus, the Big Ten is losing a lot of senior talent. That alone should help us climb up to the middle of the pack.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Their lack of a respectable football program will keep them where they are. Football is where the money is at, not basketball.
    How did Duke get in the ACC with that joke of a football program?

Also UK has a joke of a football program but not as bad as duke
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-27-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

A few thoughts:

-Agreed on Andrew Smith. I really like that guy. Khyle Marshall spells his name in an awesome manner, so I like that, but haven't seen him a great deal.

-Butler can never become the Duke of the midwest. Duke is in a power conference, is an elite academic institution, and has the greatest college basketball coach of all time in their employ. Butler has a great coach (questions about whether or not he stays long term), but does play in the Horizon League and will never usurp IU or Purdue long term as a destination for top recruits.

-Sadly, you are probably right about the resurgence of IU basketball as a national powerhouse. I remain optimistic that it will happen, but Tom Crean doesn't strike me as the guy who will get it done.
    Butler is an elite academic institution as well. Their conference affiliation hurts them right now, but I don't think they will be in the Horizon League forever.

I doubt the Big Ten would have any interest, and I don't think that would make much sense for Butler either. They just don't fit in with the current members. Small private schools, with rigorous academic standards just don't belong in the Big Ten. Ask Northwestern. Considering they don't have a scholarship football program, I don't think it would work. Although they haven't kicked IU out for not having a football program yet either.

The Big East might eventually be an option if they want to keep growing, although that would be such a massive leap in competition night in and night out, that I don't know if it would be a good move in the short term.

I think the best move they could make right now would be to the Atlantic 10, it would be beneficial both in the short term and in the long term. They already have a pretty good rivalry with Xavier. Dayton and St. Louis are pretty close by, and its a conference that doesn't play football. Butler would be competitive in all sports, not just basketball. It would be a huge step up from the Horizon League, and would benefit both Butler and the A-10's member schools.

I'd like to see that happen.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

it will keep them out of the big 10+2 but not necessarily out of a good conference. duke's football team leaves much to be desired, for instance.

i do think if butler bball continues to yield dividends, they should invest in football.

but this is like gonzaga in the late 90's early 00's.... they have flamed out a bit. new butler president will determine future direction of monies related to butler athletics.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Also UK has a joke of a football program but not as bad as duke
    Because the ACC is not the Big 10.

They didn't have to deal with the economics when they joined the ACC. Football wasn't the big business then that it is now. Duke joined the ACC when it was formed. They were a charter member of the conference in 1953.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Because the ACC is not the Big 10.
    I just used the big 10 has a EX because geographly it makes sense im sure Butler basketball would love to join the ACC but geographly it doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Butler is an elite academic institution

Small private schools, with rigorous academic standards just don't belong in the Big Ten. Ask Northwestern.

I think the best move they could make right now would be to the Atlantic 10, it would be beneficial both in the short term and in the long term..
    Elite? seriously? The only elite school in Indiana is Northwestern and U. of Chicago.

Speaking of Northwestern would NEVER EVER give up big 10+2 status. Also, you are forgetting about good and decent football teams in the last 20 years that have made rose bowl appearances. more than iu.

A10 agreed.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Butler is an elite academic institution as well. Their conference affiliation hurts them right now, but I don't think they will be in the Horizon League forever.

I doubt the Big Ten would have any interest, and I don't think that would make much sense for Butler either. They just don't fit in with the current members. Small private schools, with rigorous academic standards just don't belong in the Big Ten. Ask Northwestern. Considering they don't have a scholarship football program, I don't think it would work. Although they haven't kicked IU out for not having a football program yet either.

The Big East might eventually be an option if they want to keep growing, although that would be such a massive leap in competition night in and night out, that I don't know if it would be a good move in the short term.

I think the best move they could make right now would be to the Atlantic 10, it would be beneficial both in the short term and in the long term. They already have a pretty good rivalry with Xavier. Dayton and St. Louis are pretty close by, and its a conference that doesn't play football. Butler would be competitive in all sports, not just basketball. It would be a huge step up from the Horizon League, and would benefit both Butler and the A-10's member schools.

I'd like to see that happen.
    Butler is not an elite academic institution. No school that granted me admission is an elite institution. Duke is one of the top 15 or 20 universities in the country. That is elite. Butler is a very, very good school, but it is not elite.

For the record, Purdue's football program is every bit as big a joke as IU's right now. I believe we even won that silly little Bucket this year.

I agree with a move to the A10. That seems like a really nice fit for them. I would like to see that happen as well.

I just used the big 10 has a EX because geographly it makes sense im sure Butler basketball would love to join the ACC but geographly it doesnt make sense.
    Because the Big 10 would most likely look to expand the range of their big 10 network, and, I don't think Butler makes sense for a place to expand their network too.

Elite? seriously? The only elite school in Indiana is Northwestern and U. of Chicago.

Speaking of Northwestern would NEVER EVER give up big 10+2 status. Also, you are forgetting about good and decent football teams in the last 20 years that have made rose bowl appearances. more than iu.

A10 agreed.

I think you made a typo there. Northwestern and U of Chicago aren't in Indiana as I'm sure you know. Notre Dame is the only school in the state that I think could be considered an elite academic institution.

Butler will never join a Big Six conference. It's not in their interest or the interests of any of the conferences. Outside of men's basketball, they have no sports that could compete with any other big schools, they have a small football program (do you think a Big Ten team would ever play a game at the Butler Bowl?!?), the athletic facilities are too small, the alumni base is too small, despite having a solid basketball program for nearly twenty years their attendance is still not very good, etc.

Butler couldn't even get in the Big Ten because, while their academics are good, they're not up to the Big Ten's academic standards. Each Big Ten school is a part of the Association of American Universities, which Butler isn't a part of.

The best fit for Butler would really be the Atlantic Ten. Football isn't an issue and they have been the best non-big six conference for basketball for quite sometime. Richmond, Xavier, Dayton, and Temple are some of the most recognized and celebrated mid-major programs (along with Butler and Gonzaga). George Washington, St. Louis, St. Joe's, and UNC-Charlotte have had good seasons in the recent past.

But Butler will never leave the Horizon League. The league headquarters are in Indianapolis, and they do everything they possibly can to get Butler in the tournament every year. They freaking changed the format of their conference tournament after one-seeded Butler lost in the first round and didn't make the NCAA's a few years back. Butler's well aware of what the League does for them; it's why they haven't left besides whatever rumors have been floating out there ever since they Sweet Sixteen in 2003. It's a free pass to the NCAA tournament for them. Why risk a fourth place finish in the A10 and a potential passover by the committee when you have a guaranteed ticket every year?

Besides, for all the **** the Horizon League gets, it has been solid in the past. There have been years in this decade where they got two or three teams in the field. Cleveland State and UWM were fairly good and schools like Valpo have always had a good program. They should considering adding Oakland given their recent successes in the Summit League.
    Last edited by Wu-Gambino; 03-27-2011 at 04:01 PM.

I think you made a typo there. Northwestern and U of Chicago aren't in Indiana as I'm sure you know. Notre Dame is the only school in the state that I think could be considered an elite academic institution.
    having been out of college for 10+ years and seeing whats what and who's who by being in an ivy league setting, i would say in the midwest the only schools of any regard are uchicago, NW, and michigan. for fun i'll throw in case western and washington u in in st louis at the periphery.

here in the shadow of harvard, i try to talk up my indiana univ education and i get some laughs and some blank stares. ppl say "indiana? isn't that one of those box states?"

nd really is known for its football. or lack of.... depending on which decade.

I am a George Washington alum and would be absolutely thrilled to see Butler in the A10. The competition they would face would be tougher but they would still be able to compete and be one of the top 5 teams in the conference. Xavier, Temple, Dayton, and Richmond are all pretty good programs. Even George Washington has been good in the past even though their coach right now makes JOB look like a basketball genius. St. Joe's has been a good program in the past. I just wish we could add Butler, VCU, and American University and get rid of St. Bonaventure, Fordham, and LaSalle.

VCU vs Butler.

Can't imagine the hype espn is going to give both these young coaches

i hope brad stevens stays - it would be good for indy and good for the school. however if he stays he would be breaking from tradition established by Barry Collier, and carried through by Todd Lickliter and Thad Matta.

Typically Butler is a stepping stone. Plus Butler will have a new president, and that may affect forces related to basketball and sports funding. That said, the school may put more financially into basketball which may influence him to stay.

Something my wife heard and told me was that Butler usually has around 4000 applicants for each 2000 positions in each class. That number has jumped to 9000 for each incoming class. If that is true I can see where Butler might give him a raise. Who knows?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

College presidents are weird people. They can have huge egos. If he/she wants to grab attention for themselves, they may see the success of bball as a competitive force working against them. Case in point - Myles Brand/Bob Knight. I'm not saying this is or will be the situation, but you never know. I would tend to agree that any incoming president wouldn't rock the boat but these things are multi-faceted decisions.

A lot of this will depend on how Brad Stevens' ego handles the attention and publicity. Lets hope for the sake of Butler and Indianapolis his ego doesn't get too inflated, and at the same time, nobody from Butler hurts it.

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    Something my wife heard and told me was that Butler usually has around 4000 applicants for each 2000 positions in each class. That number has jumped to 9000 for each incoming class. If that is true I can see where Butler might give him a raise. Who knows?

It'd be hard for the incoming president to be any worse than effing BoFo. Butler was never going to get a single dime from me in donations as long as that man remained president. Feel sorry for whatever school has him now.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

College presidents are weird people. They can have huge egos. If he/she wants to grab attention for themselves, they may see the success of bball as a competitive force working against them. Case in point - Myles Brand/Bob Knight. I'm not saying this is or will be the situation, but you never know. I would tend to agree that any incoming president wouldn't rock the boat but these things are multi-faceted decisions.

A lot of this will depend on how Brad Stevens' ego handles the attention and publicity. Lets hope for the sake of Butler and Indianapolis his ego doesn't get too inflated, and at the same time, nobody from Butler hurts it.
    I really cannot see Stevens' going anywhere else. He's from Zionsville, went to DePauw, and seems like a really humble guy. Besides, he's probably looked at what happened to Collier and Lickliter (I guess Matta's a different case) and decided it's not for him.

I wonder what offers or calls he received after last year's run. What will also be interesting is how much attention Shaka Smart receives. I feel like he's been somewhat under the radar despite VCU's run, but of course, living in Indiana probably has something to do with this.

I think were Stevens a Butler graduate (which I had forgotten about his depauw roots) I would feel more comfortable with the idea of him staying.

I am from Pike High School, went to IU, and always thought I would end up in Indianapolis. But for me in a highly technical profession, I didn't hang up when the ivy league schools came calling.

Similarly, I can't see Stevens staying in Indy simply because of roots. Part of being a coach and athlete is a drive to be the best. If he feels that he can be the best elsewhere or with more ease on a more consistant basis, he will go. It goes with the territory of the personality.

All that said, I hope he stays at Butler. But I can't see him being their in five years. And if he is smart, he will capitalize on this here and now while his name is hot. If and when things cool off, they really cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu-Gambino View Post
    I really cannot see Stevens' going anywhere else. He's from Zionsville, went to DePauw, and seems like a really humble guy. Besides, he's probably looked at what happened to Collier and Lickliter (I guess Matta's a different case) and decided it's not for him.

I wonder what offers or calls he received after last year's run. What will also be interesting is how much attention Shaka Smart receives. I feel like he's been somewhat under the radar despite VCU's run, but of course, living in Indiana probably has something to do with this.

I don't see Stevens going anywhere either. I think he'll be like Mark Few at Gonzaga, or Chris Petersen with Boise State football. They've both proven they can consistently keep their programs at a high level despite not being in a BCS conference.

As far as Butler's conference goes, there's no way that the Big Ten will take them. Football drives the big time conference affiliations in college. Remember, no one wanted Kansas last spring when the Pac-10 nearly poached Texas, Oklahoma, etc. from the Big 12.

However, I'm friends with a Xavier booster who told me that they were waiting for the Big East to implode eventually (which may or may not happen). In 2012-13, TCU will join, making it 17 members in basketball. What he speculated was that the football and basketball schools would split up, and Xavier, Dayton, and Butler would go with the Big East basketball only schools.

So it would look something like this:

Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Connecticut, Villanova, South Florida, Rutgers, TCU with football.

Notre Dame, St. John's, Georgetown, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Butler with basketball.

Obviously, Notre Dame stays an independent in football. This seems to be a more realistic conference change for Butler. Obviously, this is all speculation on my part, based on that info.