Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brad Stevens as our coach

Default Re: Brad Stevens as our coach

I stay away from all college talk because I do not watch it and have no desire to watch it.

However with that in mind I will say this.

I was forced to watch the second half of the Butler-Wisconsin game and all I can tell you is that what Butler was playing for defense was something I could support.

My God talk about in your face, all five men on their man. No gimmick rotations to over help or allow open spots on the floor to let the opponet take a low % shot. Just straight up man to man defense.

Of course I was appalled at the shooting that was going on and the play in general was not what I'm used to in the pro's but I really did like the style that Butler was playing.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meh. Agree to disagree. Over the past 5 years, I'll go with that.
    Wow. Talk about living on past glory. I like the IU program too, and catch a decent amount of their games. But you guys have been total flops in the 11 years since Knight left. Only one deep tourney run, and six of those years you couldn't even make the tourney. Maybe in terms of national "reputation" you guys have been the best program for the last decade or so, but in terms of actual results there's not much to brag about.

If any program had a "fluke" year of catching lightning in a bottle, it's IU with their 2002 run. (which was incredibly fun to watch fwiw.) One deep run surrounded by years of getting nowhere.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Of course I was appalled at the shooting that was going on and the play in general was not what I'm used to in the pro's but I really did like the style that Butler was playing.
    After watching the Pacers I would think watching Butler play would be a big improvement.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Larry Brown?
    He started out as a pro coach...unless you count the one summer he coached Davidson College before he went to the Carolina Cougars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_B...ll)#As_a_coach

I stay away from all college talk because I do not watch it and have no desire to watch it.
    Too bad - you're missing some really special stuff.

However with that in mind I will say this.

I was forced to watch the second half of the Butler-Wisconsin game and all I can tell you is that what Butler was playing for defense was something I could support.

My God talk about in your face, all five men on their man. No gimmick rotations to over help or allow open spots on the floor to let the opponet take a low % shot. Just straight up man to man defense.

Yeah, I watched the last 10 minutes of the Butler game and OT. Pretty much the only college ball I've watched all season. I think Stevens is a great college coach.

Butler's defense is good for college, no where near NBA standards though - not their fault, just don't have the size and athletes of NBA teams. Florida's shot selection was shockingly bad and it looked to me like they could not handle the pressure of the moment.

I hate all the timeouts in college, especially the one where the team hold the ball for 25 seconds and then they call timeout - that seems crazy to me.

Great for Butler, but I cannot watch college, I get frustrated, why don't they run an offensive play, all they do is throw the ball around the perimeter and jack up a horrible three (that was the whole Florida offense that I saw)
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-27-2011 at 09:30 AM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Great for Butler, but I cannot watch college, I get frustrated, why don't they run an offensive play, all they do is throw the ball around the perimeter and jack up a horrible three (that was the whole Florida offense that I saw)
    Isn't that called the O'Brien System?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

I think Stevens can build Butler into what Coach K built Duke into. For that reason, I don't want to see Stevens as the Pacers' coach, EVER.

woman without a team

Since Brad said that he got outcoached by Billy Donovan maybe someone should start a thread "Billy Donovan as our next coach."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    Since Brad said that he got outcoached by Billy Donovan maybe someone should start a thread "Billy Donovan as our next coach."

Why bother? A couple days later he'll change his mind and go back to Florida

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Wow. Talk about living on past glory. I like the IU program too, and catch a decent amount of their games. But you guys have been total flops in the 11 years since Knight left. Only one deep tourney run, and six of those years you couldn't even make the tourney. Maybe in terms of national "reputation" you guys have been the best program for the last decade or so, but in terms of actual results there's not much to brag about.

If any program had a "fluke" year of catching lightning in a bottle, it's IU with their 2002 run. (which was incredibly fun to watch fwiw.) One deep run surrounded by years of getting nowhere.
    The key is that college basketball has changed. Smaller programs now compete for the talent. Previously, IU always got the cream of the crop players...maybe in the entire midwest. That's simply changed. Michigan State, Butler and Ohio State are now destinations for top tier talent every year...not just the exceptions. Purdue will also get some decent players. Also, Kentucky remains a bigger destination for the very best talent in the midwest. IU had a great run with Knight but it's not going back to that level unless they get something better than Crean.

I have several thoughts on Brad Stevens.

First off I really like the guy. I love watching his teams play. I think that he is a great example to follow. I love how he has his team plays (for the most part when they don't jack up 3s the whole time). When I look at Coach Stevens I think to myself "Man if I was a player I’d love to play for him". The things he stresses and his calm demeanor on the sidelines. It's great.

Not that I’m trying to take any credit away from him, his assistants, and players but what the way they are playing is how teams are suppose to play. It's that some teams, or coaches, try and re invent the game and how you win the game. At the end the little things make the difference and the little things are what Butler is all about.

As far as Stevens leaving Butler for another coaching job...I hope not. As a basketball fan I love watching Butler. I love what Butler is all about. Being a small school, in Indianapolis and having success against the most talked about teams. So selfishly I want to see him stay for those reasons.

I also want him to stay at Butler so he can improve all the doubters wrong. Most of the players on his team were not highly recruited like others. There wasn't a ton of hype surrounding them. What they prove though is if you do the little things, work as a team, and listen to your coaches then you will have success. If Stevens went to a bigger school he might be able to land better talent but if that is a motive of his then he is going against a part of what has made him successful. It's not about the individual talent but the 5 players playing as one.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that I would love to see Coach Stevens prove so many people wrong. Prove them wrong that you don't need a top 10 recruiting class every year or state of the art facilities. Prove them wrong that money isn't everything to everyone. Proven them wrong that bigger isn't always better.

As far as Brad Stevens being the Pacers coach...no thank you. The NBA is different from college. In college he can pick his players and in the NBA he really can't. In college he can avoid having to put up with a bunch of lazy, crying, me-me-me, selfish players. And I am not saying the Pacers are full of that but there is at least some of that on EVERY NBA team. Why put up with that? This is part of the reason why the impact of coaches in the NBA is not as big as coaches in college. The NBA is run by the players.

Regardless of where Brad Stevens is coaching I think that everyone can learn a lot from Butler. This isn't just excitement to see the "underdogs" make it to back-to-back Final Fours. It's a reminder of what is important to win basketball games. It's a reminder of what has been lost.
    Last edited by Young; 03-27-2011 at 12:13 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Isn't that called the O'Brien System?
    Not really.... because he said pass the ball around the perimeter. O'Brien would hate all that passing and wasting the opportunity to get a quick 3 up....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The key is that college basketball has changed. Smaller programs now compete for the talent. Previously, IU always got the cream of the crop players...maybe in the entire midwest. That's simply changed. Michigan State, Butler and Ohio State are now destinations for top tier talent every year...not just the exceptions. Purdue will also get some decent players. Also, Kentucky remains a bigger destination for the very best talent in the midwest. IU had a great run with Knight but it's not going back to that level unless they get something better than Crean.
    Ohio State has always been a destination for top tier talent. Same with Kentucky (although they do more national recruiting with Calipari at the helm).

As for Butler...have they really gotten any top tier talent? I don't see them in the running for very many top level recruits. They were in the final three for Cody Zeller, but it was widely believed to be between Indiana and North Carolina in the end.

I do agree that IU won't get back to that level with Crean. Unfortunately due to horrible administrating from the very top levels of the university, we have painted ourselves in the corner we now reside in. I don't have much faith in Crean, but I don't think Indiana's glory days are over yet. Just on a prolonged sabbatical. Homer way of thinking? Possibly. But actually thinking they will be on par with their horrible football program for the long term is silly.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Have you followed them at all? Do you want to know something monumental?

IU has played in just 1 Sweet Sixteen since 1994, while Butler has played in 4.

IU has won 1 conference championship since then. Butler has won 10.

Butler has a winning percentage of .720

IU has a winning percentage of .574

Purdue obviously fares much better by comparison than IU, having won .651 percent of their games, winning 4 conference titles, and making 5 trips to the Sweet Sixteen, but I'd still give Butler the edge considering the way they are doing it.
    Let me live in denial.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I though Billy made a horrible coaching mistake by not calling Timeout at the end of regulation. They got a horrible look as a result and if they would of scored there they win.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I though Billy made a horrible coaching mistake by not calling Timeout at the end of regulation. They got a horrible look as a result and if they would of scored there they win.
    Coaches have been doing that the entire tournament. It's been driving me crazy.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

As for Butler...have they really gotten any top tier talent? I don't see them in the running for very many top level recruits. They were in the final three for Cody Zeller, but it was widely believed to be between Indiana and North Carolina in the end.
    Well so far Butler has played a 9 seed, a 1 seed, a 4 seed, and a 2 seed and had the two best players in each game.

They may not get the guys that are given the high ratings by the recruiting services (yet) but they are very clearly bringing in top tier talent. They had a lottery pick last year with Gordon Hayward. In Shelvin Mack, they have another possible early entry 1st round pick this year, and another probable 2nd round pick with Matt Howard. Andrew Smith and Khyle Marshall both look like future NBA players to me.

You are welcome to join the entire IU fan base in denialville, but Butler isn't going away anytime soon. There are a lot of rich Butler grads in the area. If they can find a way to bring enough cash to the table to keep Stevens, Butler can easily become the Duke of the Midwest.

Even if they can't keep him, Butler has been doing this (not on this level obviously, but they've had a ton of success both in the regular season and the tournament) with coach after coach. They will be fine. The resurgence of IU as a powerhouse is much more of a question mark than the continued success of Butler basketball.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 03-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.

I'll never understand why Jim O'Brien's name is brought up in this thread

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Because u said u hate the college system where they play around the premiter and chuck 3s which is how your favorite coach JOB coached.

Well so far Butler has played a 9 seed, a 1 seed, a 4 seed, and a 2 seed and had the two best players in each game.

They may not get the guys that are given the high ratings by the recruiting services (yet) but they are very clearly bringing in top tier talent. They had a lottery pick last year with Gordon Hayward. In Shelvin Mack, they have another possible early entry 1st round pick this year, and another probable 2nd round pick with Matt Howard. Andrew Smith and Khyle Marshall both look like future NBA players to me.

You are welcome to join the entire IU fan base in denialville, but Butler isn't going away anytime soon. There are a lot of rich Butler grads in the area. If they can find a way to bring enough cash to the table to keep Stevens, Butler can easily become the Duke of the Midwest.

Even if they can't keep him, Butler has been doing this (not on this level obviously, but they've had a ton of success both in the regular season and the tournament) with coach after coach. They will be fine. The resurgence of IU as a powerhouse is much more of a question mark than the continued success of Butler basketball.
    A few thoughts:

-Agreed on Andrew Smith. I really like that guy. Khyle Marshall spells his name in an awesome manner, so I like that, but haven't seen him a great deal.

-Butler can never become the Duke of the midwest. Duke is in a power conference, is an elite academic institution, and has the greatest college basketball coach of all time in their employ. Butler has a great coach (questions about whether or not he stays long term), but does play in the Horizon League and will never usurp IU or Purdue long term as a destination for top recruits.

-Sadly, you are probably right about the resurgence of IU basketball as a national powerhouse. I remain optimistic that it will happen, but Tom Crean doesn't strike me as the guy who will get it done.

Mood

A few thoughts:

-Agreed on Andrew Smith. I really like that guy. Khyle Marshall spells his name in an awesome manner, so I like that, but haven't seen him a great deal.

-Butler can never become the Duke of the midwest. Duke is in a power conference, is an elite academic institution, and has the greatest college basketball coach of all time in their employ. Butler has a great coach (questions about whether or not he stays long term), but does play in the Horizon League and will never usurp IU or Purdue long term as a destination for top recruits.

-Sadly, you are probably right about the resurgence of IU basketball as a national powerhouse. I remain optimistic that it will happen, but Tom Crean doesn't strike me as the guy who will get it done.
    They will change confernces I bet.The big 10 might ask them to join before to long.

woman without a team

Just a guess, but I'd say it's because you said this:

The bolded part sounds like JOB's philosphy to me.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

big 10+2 won't allow them to join without reasonably reputable football team.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

AHH don't back down to purdue fan

tom crean - give him another year. worried yes, certain? not yet.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman