Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Brad Stevens as our coach

Default Re: Brad Stevens as our coach

No. He's staying here at Butler.

As to another team poaching him - why would he want to coach for the teams he currently beats?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No. He's staying here at Butler.

As to another team poaching him - why would he want to coach for the teams he currently beats?
    better facilities, better pay, better recruits

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    Tom Crean is not going anywhere for a very long time
    what would make you say something like that?

if he doesn't make the NIT at the least next year, you will start hearing some buzz. in fact that will come if they do not have an above average pre-conference record.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    what would make you say something like that?

if he doesn't make the NIT at the least next year, you will start hearing some buzz. in fact that will come if they do not have an above average pre-conference record.
    that's all it's going to be. buzz. He won at marquette, he's going to win at IU. and that is a fact

i hope brad stevens stays - it would be good for indy and good for the school. however if he stays he would be breaking from tradition established by Barry Collier, and carried through by Todd Lickliter and Thad Matta.

Typically Butler is a stepping stone. Plus Butler will have a new president, and that may affect forces related to basketball and sports funding. That said, the school may put more financially into basketball which may influence him to stay.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

that's all it's going to be. buzz. He won at marquette, he's going to win at IU. and that is a fact
    While I want him to win,

this isn't Marquette and Tom Crean has never won anything important.

Sounds like a lot of presumption but no real facts involved.
    That said, I'll give him 1-2 more years.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 03-26-2011 at 08:27 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Tom Crean is not going anywhere for a very long time
    Unfortunately you are probably right!

What's a fact is Crean has a dismal record at IU and his teams have shown very little, if any, progress and arguably have regressed. He's got excuses and he needs them because it's been bad.

Stevens' OTOH has had exactly the opposite experience with his Butler teams.

I'd be surprised to learn Stevens is even interested in the NBA but I could be wrong.

He's clearly got more going for him that just being a good motivational force on the sidelines and in the lockerroom. He's got a good tactical feel for the game. He'd have his pick of college teams if he wanted to leave Butler. And his resume' indicates he could be successful about anywhere he goes. And in a league like the Big Ten, ACC, etc he'd have the advantage of seeing one, 2, 3, 4, 5... teams regularly making the tournament whereas with a mid major (like Butler) he likely knows every year his team will need to win the conference tournament to make the NCAA's....

The NCAA has already shown it will leave a good Butler team on the sidelines without a conference tournament championship.

If he has a dream of coaching in the NBA then I suspect he'd need to take a paycut and take an assistant role first. And then hope his star shines and he ascends the ranks to get his own crack at a HC position. Which is a gamble. Meanwhile, as I said, he can almost sign his ticket in college coaching right now. ....or be the biggest and most loved duck in the sports pond at Butler.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

What we do know for a fact is that Brad Stevens can flat out coach. He recruits for his style much like Bob Knight did and that is impressive. He knows what he needs and it isnt a group of 5 star recruits. He takes his 3 star recruits and beats the other guys 5 stars.

And we do know that Crean can recruit. He has done an excellent job getting the class of '11 and '12 on board. What we do not know is whether or not he can coach. His record is mixed and his players aren't really developing like they should.

This is why I would hope IU would make a serious run at Stevens. If Matt Painter leaves for Missouri, they would target Stevens for sure. It would be a sad sad day to see him go to Purdue. This would mean that IU would not be able to compete with Purdue for the next 20 years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is not a fact until it is a fact.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Merz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merz View Post
    It is not a fact until it is a fact.
    ...and that's a fact.

BTW, when Knight left IU they really lost everything. The program is living on its past and isn't coming back to the same level ever again...or as long as Butler, Notre Dame and even Painter at Purdue draws good talent.

Fact is, IU basketball and football are going to be indistinguishable. IOW, they will both be below average in the Big 10 for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I like him, but I want a proven NBA coach.
    Slim pickins'.

How did that Jim O'brien work out for ya?

I would never hire a coach straight from college - I don't care if he's won ten straight NCAA's.

Can anyone name the last college coach who didn't have any NBA experience who was successful in the NBSA
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.

I imagine that Coach Stevens will leave Butler the year after they fail to make the Tournament for the first time. I'd say the only reason being is that the bigger conferences get 2-5 teams in every year.

What are the chances that Butler eventually gets into a bigger conference? I'm not sure how that process works.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I would never hire a coach straight from college - I don't care if he's won ten straight NCAA's
    Why is that? Sure, there would be an adjustment phase, but our team really isn't good enough to do anything right now anyway. If Brad Stevens were to consider coming to the Pacers, I wouldn't mind the Pacers hiring him to develop him with the rest of the team.

I would never hire a coach straight from college - I don't care if he's won ten straight NCAA's.

Can anyone name the last college coach who didn't have any NBA experience who was successful in the NBSA
    Larry Brown?

1988 Rick Pitino = 52-30 with the Knicks
    1981 Bill Fitch coached Celtics to NBA title (Coached at U of Minnesota)
    PJ Carlisemo
    Not to mention Larry Brown

So, it can be done, its just not that common
    Last edited by troyc11a; 03-26-2011 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    ...and that's a fact.

BTW, when Knight left IU they really lost everything. The program is living on its past and isn't coming back to the same level ever again...or as long as Butler, Notre Dame and even Painter at Purdue draws good talent.

Fact is, IU basketball and football are going to be indistinguishable. IOW, they will both be below average in the Big 10 for a very long time.
    I doubt it. Indiana basketball will be back, it's just a matter of time. Even with the other programs in the state succeeding, the best players in the state still want to go to Indiana. The Hoosier fan base is still by far the largest in the state. It might not happen under Tom Crean, but they will be back. I'm going to get ripped for this, but Butler caught lightning in a bottle. Caught it with Stevens and these winning players he has. They will never consistently be better than Indiana. Notre Dame is a football school and always will be. Any hoops success they have won't be sustained. Purdue with Painter is good, but I am very anxious to see what he does without Johnson and Moore.

As for the subject at hand...can't see Stevens going to the NBA. The leap from coaching college to the NBA is big. The leap from coaching a mid-major school to the NBA is even bigger. He is a fantastic coach though. Stevens and Painter are easily the best coaches in the state...on any level.
    Last edited by cdash; 03-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I doubt it. Indiana basketball will be back, it's just a matter of time. Even with the other programs in the state succeeding, the best players in the state still want to go to Indiana. The Hoosier fan base is still by far the largest in the state. It might not happen under Tom Crean, but they will be back. I'm going to get ripped for this, but Butler caught lightning in a bottle. Caught it with Stevens and these winning players he has. They will never consistently be better than Indiana. Notre Dame is a football school and always will be. Any hoops success they have won't be sustained. Purdue with Painter is good, but I am very anxious to see what he does without Johnson and Moore.

As for the subject at hand...can't see Stevens going to the NBA. The leap from coaching college to the NBA is big. The leap from coaching a mid-major school to the NBA is even bigger. He is a fantastic coach though. Stevens and Painter are easily the best coaches in the state...on any level.
    Butler has been consistently better than IU since long before Stevens got the job.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Butler has been consistently better than IU since long before Stevens got the job.

Okay, they've been better than Purdue too. Your one class wonders are gone. The Boilers are about to show their true colors. Probably why Painter is interested in the Missouri job.

Okay, they've been better than Purdue too. Your one class wonders are gone. The Boilers are about to show their true colors. Probably why Painter is interested in the Missouri job.
    I don't know why that's funny. Of course Butler has been better than both Purdue and IU, we just aren't completely delusional and are willing to admit it.

I don't know why that's funny. Of course Butler has been better than both Purdue and IU, we just aren't completely delusional and are willing to admit it.
    You really don't think that Butler is a better program than either IU or Purdue, right? These past two years have been incredible don't get me wrong, but before that a Sweet 16 was a monumental event for them.

You really don't think that Butler is a better program than either IU or Purdue, right? These past two years have been incredible don't get me wrong, but before that a Sweet 16 was a monumental event for them.
    Over the course of the past 15 years, they have been the best college basketball program in the state. Without question.

Over the course of the past 15 years, they have been the best college basketball program in the state. Without question.
    Meh. Agree to disagree. Over the past 5 years, I'll go with that.

Meh. Agree to disagree. Over the past 5 years, I'll go with that.
    Have you followed them at all? Do you want to know something monumental?

IU has played in just 1 Sweet Sixteen since 1994, while Butler has played in 4.

IU has won 1 conference championship since then. Butler has won 10.

Butler has a winning percentage of .720

IU has a winning percentage of .574

Purdue obviously fares much better by comparison than IU, having won .651 percent of their games, winning 4 conference titles, and making 5 trips to the Sweet Sixteen, but I'd still give Butler the edge considering the way they are doing it.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post: