Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pacers/Kings postgame thread

Default Re: Pacers/Kings postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is how bad it has gotten with Collison & Price, people are once again beginning to clamor for the all first team NBA player that is Jarret Jack.

I had honestly hoped we had put this behind us but with the play of our current point guards they have once again kicked open that door.

For the love of God if we are going to address our p.g. position again this summer, which we probably should, could we please aim a LOT higher than Jarrett Jack.

I liked Jack. He wasn't or isn't perfect, but he brought certain qualities to the PG that neither Collison or Price has. I'm surrounded by those that keep saying "Collison's only in his 2nd year" and by those that makes excuses for everthing Price does. At the present time, NEITHER is the present answer to the PG position. Collison could be down the road, but let's face it he's presently not his former UCLA teammates Westbrook or Holiday.

Seriously, who do YOU feel is a higher PG than Jack that the Pacers can "realistically" get? Let's face it Rondo, Westbrook, Williams, Nash, etc isn't walking thru the door or beating it down to play for the Pacers. So who? I honestly want to hear who you feel is available to the Pacers. Maybe you have someone in mind that not been mentioned b4. I'd really be interested!!

I'm on record saying I'd like to bring in Raymond Felton, but many feel he's nothing but an older more expensive lateral move for Collison. I'm not in the least interested in drafting "the PG of the future" as some are. That is even if the Pacers could get that type of a pick to do so. I have no problem keeping Collison to season, but I want a PG that can bring and do things with their game Collison and Price can't.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I totally blame it on Price. My back up Point shouldn't be taking 9 3pters, and he shouldn't be taking them back to back to back. He shouldn't be dribbling up the court and dumping it off to somebody else and then camping out of hte 3 point line. Not setting up any kind of offense. We didn't have any hustle or flow tonight.

Also DC shouldn't go half the game with 0 points. Heck all his points game in a a 3 minute stretch that almost sparked a comeback, and then Vogel went back to Price.
    Agreed. It wasn't all on Price, but he was terrible. I'd place DC in the middle to lower of the pack as far as starting point guards go, but AJ has to be one the worst backup point guards in the league right now. Can someone name five that are obviously worse?

I like the guy and he seems like a good leader, but I'm just not seeing the talent that'll make him a good point guard in this league.
    Last edited by BruceLeeroy; 03-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.

This is how bad it has gotten with Collison & Price, people are once again beginning to clamor for the all first team NBA player that is Jarret Jack.

I had honestly hoped we had put this behind us but with the play of our current point guards they have once again kicked open that door.

For the love of God if we are going to address our p.g. position again this summer, which we probably should, could we please aim a LOT higher than Jarrett Jack.
    Second. Year. Point Guards.

The AJ Price of last season, was simply put..better in every facet of the game. I have to believe the reason for that is not being over his knee..whether he's still feeling pain or mentally not there, or physically not there. I really hope he didn't change his mentality because of O'brien. That woudl be ashame. I'm hoping he's just being told he needs to score..because, although I think shooters should keep shooting..AJ didn't his entire career until he got here. (And he had more freedom to do what he wanted at Uconn)

That's not to say he doesn't have flaws. I'm saying evaluate him after a summer of getting his stuff together.

With AJ though, when you throw him on the court with Brandon, Dahntay, Jeff and Josh...who do you honestly think Frank Vogel wants to take the most shots? And then we have quotes by AJ saying that Frank told him to keep shooting. Seems pretty obvious to me what he's being told to do.

DC also has flaws. He hasn't had a consistent coach, a consistent offense in two seasons. He's also got an enormous amount of pressure on him. Let him work on himself. Isn't Roy a significantly different player than he was two seasons ago?

Do we need a PG upgrade? I don't know. It depends on what Larry (or whoever) does with the rest of the team. But if we're just going to let all the other young guys play together, then no reason to not let the PGs have another season to grow too.

And anyway..this game did not illustrate problems with our point guards. We lost this game with our post players..who really didn't do anything right. Their defense made DCs defense look good. They still don't box out (our point guards do...) and we've only got two scoring threats between the four of them. We need another one. And we need a guy that, when the other team plays rough aggressive defense, our guy can still play. I really feel this is just a case of people getting on the whipping boys, when it wasn't them at all..other than the fact that they couldn't shoot either. We lost this game because of poor shooting and poor post play. Period.

edit: When we're down by a ton, I wish Vogel would put in "the goon squad" They were/are intense guys who can usually scrap back into the game.

And that's another example, someone mentioned AJ thinking a PnR/PnP was just a way for him to get an open shot. Well..he's playing them with Foster and Josh..so duh. When he does it with Danny or Tyler, those two always got the ball. You can not play unit for a long stretch of a game that has two non scoring post players, a guy who doesn't score in the flow of the offense, and Brandon..who used to not take shots but at least now he does..and expect any point guard to come up with a reasonable offense that doesn't involve that point guard trying to score. Usually, the second Danny comes into the game, Price completely differs..he fed Tyler all the time. Give him someone who can actually score...
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-26-2011 at 06:08 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Is anyone actually keeping track of this stat, or did you just measure it yourself?
    measured it myself, I'll do it for DC tonight too. AJ's just easier to count it with because he only plays 15 minutes. (And because they were so obvious sometimes assists are..blury..but these ones weren't.) Most of them came from driving and dishing to a wide open Brandon or Dahntay.

It's a stat that European leagues keep though, I wish American leagues would too. I like the stat. IF we're going to evaluate a PG on the statistic of assists (which I don't quite agree with) then taking into consideration poor shooting nights from a team is something we should consider too. It's not DC and AJ's fault a normally pretty good shooter in Brandon Rush, missed 7 wide open 3s, so it's not a bad idea to acknowledge the other side too. (And Price is typically not even close to that high..which is why I noticed it last night. If I had to guess, DC's was lower, but that could just be my guess because his wasn't as condensed as Price's was.)

I really didn't have a problem with the way AJ played last night. Maybe it's because I understood completely what he was trying to do..and as I said..he's one of the few guys that'll try and claw the team back into the game..and actually..he's done a pretty good job of it for both seasons...so I don't think it should be discouraged..even if he's missing that badly or playing too fast.

I got what he was trying to do last night, understood the reasons..the past couple of games I thought he had gotten injected with stupid..this game..he just shot like crap..like the rest of the guys.
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-26-2011 at 06:08 PM.

Not that this excuses the loss, but the 76ers just lost to the Kings.

I would say that the Kings have blazed through this East Coast swing like Sherman marching to the sea.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Not that this excuses the loss, but the 76ers just lost to the Kings.

I would say that the Kings have blazed through this East Coast swing like Sherman marching to the sea.
    This is also telling you how many teams think this draft is weak, nobody is even trying to tank.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This is also telling you how many teams think this draft is weak, nobody is even trying to tank.
    Look how many wins they have they are still tanking. They could win out and still be tanking