Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point Guard position? ---- Raymond Felton?

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Point Guard position? ---- Raymond Felton?

I'm not at all trying to dump on Darren, In fact I think people have been unnecessarily harsh on him recently... However an upgrade is an upgrade. Raymond Felton has had an impressive season, hes a vet who has had great production this year and his contract is not outrageous.

With Ty Lawson being the PG of the future in Denver, I have got to think Felton should be available for the right price this off season. What should/would he cost? We will have the advantage of being able to absorb his contract due to being under the cap.

Felton is averaging 16 points and almost 9 assists a game for the year. The biggest reason I like the idea is that I think he would be a defensive upgrade over Collison, and that is a big deal. He is still a short PG but he has superior strength and seems to be mentally tough. Collison is young and seems prone to mental lapses, A steady vet presence at the PG position could do wonders for this team going forward.

You can count me amongst people who believe that we have more need for upgrades to our back court than the PF position. I am ok with letting Paul George grow into the SG position for now, but I am interested in REALISTIC scenario's to upgrade the PG spot, which can have a dramatic effect on the team's success.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Default Re: Point Guard position? ---- Raymond Felton?

I'd offer them AJ and a pick.

Since being in Denver (away from D'Antonie and his epic PG offense) he's averaging 10.8 points and 6.8 assists.

DC is a second year PG. If you can get him for Price and a first round pick, than sure..why not. But that means DC is going to take a backseat.

Personally..I'd give both our PGs one more year. They don't improve..you look elsewhere. But right now..despite struggling..I've seen them both at their best and I think they are worth taking a long look at, and watching them grow together. They're both second year players, and they both haven't had the easiest start to their NBA careers.

It's not like we need a vet PG either. The rest of our young core is so young that we aren't going deep in the playoffs anyway. (Unless we get more vets..which..then what was the point in finding a core?)

I will say that Felton's shooting percentages over his career have not been impressive, he is not the offensive talent that Darren is. His play making seems to be stronger (although he is no Steve Nash or anything), and he has an extra 40 pounds of muscle on Darren which implies a more capable defender.

I'm basing most of this on stats and what not, has anyone watched Felton enough to analyze his game? I'm curious to know if he would be a true upgrade. I'm under the impression he has a good defensive reputation and that is the primary thing I'm looking at, I don't think Collison will ever be a good defender in the NBA.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 03-25-2011 at 12:58 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Banned

I'd offer Posey's expiring+1st round pick+ 2nd round pick

He seems like a semi lateral move to me.

Edit: I do like that he was coached by Larry Brown though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since being in Denver (away from D'Antonie and his epic PG offense) he's averaging 10.8 points and 6.8 assists.
    Minutes are a factor here, he is now splitting time with Lawson.

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Minutes are a factor here, he is now splitting time with Lawson.
    He's averaging a little over 32 minutes since going to Denver. That's typical starter minutes..and it's actually about what DC has been averaging.

I'm just saying..watch it..because Raymond's stats went up during the early part of the season for the same reason that DC's did last season. The system. It's a lateral move..and DC is younger. If you can get Raymond cheap, like Hicks suggested (Price and a first - but I don't think that would work) it's not a bad idea, because it wouldn't hurt to have a vet with DC. But essentially, it is a lateral move.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I'd take Felton, you can never have too much talent.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

He's averaging a little over 32 minutes since going to Denver. That's typical starter minutes..and it's actually about what DC has been averaging.

I'm just saying..watch it..because Raymond's stats went up during the early part of the season for the same reason that DC's did last season. The system. It's a lateral move..and DC is younger. If you can get Raymond cheap, like Hicks suggested (Price and a first - but I don't think that would work) it's not a bad idea, because it wouldn't hurt to have a vet with DC. But essentially, it is a lateral move.
    He plays at the 2 sometimes, reason why his minutes are high.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Meh.

I don't buy that he's much of an upgrade of Darren now, and I believe Darren will be a far better player than him next year.

You have to realize that his stats in new york were quite possibly massively inflated by D'Antoni's breakneck system and having amare stoudamire to pass to.

Even in New York he shot a miserable 42 percent and is shooting even worse since getting to denver while averaging only 10 ppg.

This can't be blamed on lawson either, Raymond is still getting 32 or so minutes per game.

He also played almost 40 minutes per game in new york. Inflate Darren's numbers to those minutes and they are pretty similar, with Raymond getting slightly more assists in a far more friendly system for point guards, and Darren shooting and scoring better and being much more efficient despite being significantly younger.

New york was an aberration in raymond feltons career, other than there he's been incredibly inefficient scoring the ball, slightly above average passing the ball and pretty average on defense.

I wouldn't mind getting him as a backup, but i'm fairly confident that Darren will be the better player going forward.

I'm not against an upgrade, but this is very lateralish, and an older player to boot.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

i agree that it is a lateral move. slightly different skill sets, but both guys are average NBA PG's. pacers make a move for felton, and halfway thru the year, we will all be about felton not being able to make an open shot. think DJ or tinsley.

as to his availability and price, he might be available for something like AJ and a pick. denver has a low cap number, but 3 or 4 guys they need to sign for next year. they might be willing to deal a guy making $7M for a pick just to save the cap space.

I know some of you may laugh, but what is Jarret Jack's current contract like? If we could somehow nab him as our primary backup to Darren I would totally do it. His size and defense would help immensely in my mind.

I personally think Darren has been doing pretty well since his obvious slump he went through. He will get better. He makes mistakes, but he also makes big time plays. If he isn't cutting it in a couple of years, maybe we look for a new starting point.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DemonHunter1105 For This Useful Post:

Can we just acquire Shaun Livingston instead?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I for one would love JJ back. He seems like a winner. His contract is a bit high though, and he just recently got arrested for a DUI. So I just dont know.

Felton is an upgrade over DC but not worth a 1st round pick type though. Something would have to come back with him if we parted with the pick.

Mood

Just ask yourselves how you would feel about DC if he were shooting 38 percent from the field in his second year like Felton did in starters minute. You guys would run him out of town.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter1105 View Post
    I know some of you may laugh, but what is Jarret Jack's current contract like? If we could somehow nab him as our primary backup to Darren I would totally do it. His size and defense would help immensely in my mind.
    One thing to keep in mind, it seems like when he was a Pacer people pointed out that he was actually a somewhat overrated defender. Is Jarret Jack truly a defensive upgrade?

I do like Jarret Jack as a leader and a guy who is mentally tough. He will hit some big shots for you, although he is not naturally a great play maker either (just average). He reminds me of Derek Fisher in this way.

- ilive4sports

Undefeated

I'd like to see the Pacers draft a bigger point guard in the first round.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'd offer them AJ and a pick.
    In a second I would do that deal but lets be real. Denver would want more. I give up Rush plus a pick.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Eh.

He's a good player, but I wouldn't offer more than AJ + Pick for him.

Plus I feel like Darren will be the better player in the near future.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

One thing to keep in mind, it seems like when he was a Pacer people pointed out that he was actually a somewhat overrated defender. Is Jarret Jack truly a defensive upgrade?

I do like Jarret Jack as a leader and a guy who is mentally tough. He will hit some big shots for you, although he is not naturally a great play maker either (just average). He reminds me of Derek Fisher in this way.
    Speaking of leadership this is what Felton would bring to the table as well.

Quoting him,
    When you talk about my game, you might say Im fast off the dribble, I can get in the paint, I pass the ball, whatever. Tenacious defender,
    Felton said Tuesday. One thing people always say about me is Im a leader, and thats what Ive always been. So, I keep that role everywhere I go.

Sports Logo

I don't mind making a run at Felton....but why is it automatically assumed that the Nuggets will move Felton just because they have Lawson?

Although the notion of having 2 PGs on the floor at the same time seems strange....George Karl has figured out how to make it work. The Nuggets are doing GREAT with the both of them in the lineup.

I don't see how we can get him...we have nothing that they would need. Our greatest asset...the ability to absorb 2011-2012 Salary without sending any back...is near useless to the Nuggets. Looking at their Salary Cap situation in 2011-2012...they won't likely be over the Salary Cap at $41 mil. Even if they re-sign Nene to some 12+ mil contract...they should be able to keep him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Speaking of leadership this is what Felton would bring to the table as well.

Quoting him,
    JO was a self appointed leader as well and was even called a leader by reggie. Many fans would disagree however.

I remember Hicks made a thread about good defensive point guards (not including stars) and I think his name came up a couple times. It could have even been Kstat or Cordobes that mentioned him as an above average defender thereby eliminating some of the Pacer fan bias. Don't quote me on that, just going off what I can remember.

I would look it up, but I am too lazy at the moment lol.