Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: David West suffers knee injury, taken off in wheelchair

Default Re: David West suffers knee injury, taken off in wheelchair

Damn, that's too bad if it's serious. As someone still recovering from a serious knee injury, I really feel sick reading about players having injuries like this. There's never good timing for this type of injury, but the timing for David is just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wrong. He sat for 4 seasons. Grant Hill proves it doesn't have to do with age. Sitting for 4 seasons and then coming back and has yet to bite another knee injury. How many games did he miss last year? This year? I rest my case. And don't take it so personal.
    Dude seriously, an exception does not prove anything. The guy had 4 seasons to get his body right. I guess all it proves is that anyone can recover from injury with no future tendency of re-injury if they have enough time.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    As Pacer fans, it makes much more sense for us to ponder his free agency future than the effect it has on the Hornets, who weren't going to make a deep playoff run with or without him.
    Funny how that is one of the things I mentioned it would be better to talk about.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter1105 View Post
    Funny how that is one of the things I mentioned it would be better to talk about.
    Okay, so I just talked about it and gave you my opinion on the matter. I don't think the Hornets are going to make a deep playoff run with or without a healthy David West.

Edit: Ahh, I actually misread your original post. I thought you were talking about the injury's effect on the playoff race and for the Hornets only. Not about his free agency.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Dude seriously, an exception does not prove anything. The guy had 4 seasons to get his body right. I guess all it proves is that anyone can recover from injury with no future tendency of re-injury if they have enough time.
    Im not trying to argue, but you're going against things you've already posted. Referring to a 30 year-old D. West as "old bones" just doesn't sit well with me considering the injury type. This injury could have happened to him at any time, but it just so happened latter in his career and your saying it's because of his age.

Im not trying to argue, but you're going against things you've already posted. Referring to a 30 year-old D. West as "old bones" just doesn't sit well with me considering the injury type. This injury could have happened to him at any time, but it just so happened latter in his career and your saying it's because of his age.
    Going against things I already posted? huh?

I'm saying that the injury is an indication of his age. Not the injury is because of his age. I feel like everyone here thinks that a 30 year old knee is just as strong as a 20 year old knee. Its not!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Going against things I already posted? huh?

I'm saying that the injury is an indication of his age. Not the injury is because of his age. I feel like everyone here thinks that a 30 year old knee is just as strong as a 20 year old knee. Its not!
    ...You just don't get it do you? Your first post clearly indicated you claimed this because of his age. Just saying.

...You just don't get it do you? Your first post clearly indicated you claimed this because of his age. Just saying.
    "Well thats 2 signs of old age creeping up on West. First his back problems and now he blows out a knee."

So you interpret that as West blew out his knee because he is 30 years old.... apparently I have wasted my time over 3 pages clarifying that I feel older players are more prone to injury compared to younger players. Gosh this is getting petty. I'm done here.

When 20 people 'misread' the same statement, maybe the statement is to blame, not the people.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I get confused with Petter Griffing my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This thread needs to be taken off in a wheelchair.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

All i am saying his knee injuries are freak accidents. AJ Price Blake Griffen and many many others. Kids in HS tear there ACL all the time and that doesnt have anything to do with age.

so tell me Griffen is breaking down? this is just a freak accident. Same with Shaun Livingston who tore his knee up just going up for a layup.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this:

Well thats 2 signs of old age creeping up on West. First his back problems and now he blows out a knee. I think i'll pass on him now.
    doesn't imply his knee injury is due to old age, then well, my grasp on the English language isn't as good as I thought. Guess I should rethink about about that English minor...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    If this:

doesn't imply his knee injury is due to old age, then well, my grasp on the English language isn't as good as I thought. Guess I should rethink about about that English minor...
    pwned.

A physician's opinion:

This injury has nothing to do with age. Bone health, especially in males, typically doesn't change over the course of life, unless men have low calcium/vit D intake or are taking hormone therapy for various ailments (such as prostate cancer).

If West suffered from injury at age 70 I could say it is because he is more prone. Bone constantly remodels itself on a daily and even hourly basis. Muscle is maintainable with stimulation - if you work out and such, muscle tone and growth is largely independent of age.

Where age does play a role is moreso in tendon and ligament damage and maintainance. Tendons connect muscle to ligaments, ligaments connect bone to other bone. These things do not regenerate. Age would be a factor in the health of these body parts, however we are talking about these types of injuries are more common in 50-60-70 year old patients. They can occur in super-weightlifters and again in patients who are steroid supplementing.

This injury has nothing to do with bone health but the misfortune of the physics involved with relation to the injury/trauma. Typically athletes tend to demonstrate wear and tear not during their playing career, but in their late 40s and older.

The reason someone who suffers an injury like this is more prone to future similar injuries is because no patient ever heals 100% perfectly.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

And graphic-er gets shut down.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Oh please, so you all deny that being 30 years old doesn't increase his chances of blowing out a knee?

I'm nearly 30 myself and while I'm physically stronger than I ever have been in my life. I can definitely feel the wear and tear on my bones just from playing basketball since I was 9-10 years old. I can't go as hard as my 20 year old self thats for sure. I've twisted my ankles more times than I can remember and that makes me even more prone to twisting them in the future. Heck just last year I jumped off the front porch and strained my MCL. Didn't even know I did it until the next day. I've jumped off that porch daily for the last 3 years.

Hey look! We all have examples that prove our point now!
    I'm 18 years old and I blew out my knee when I was 17 and just had the surgery 9 weeks ago. I tore my ACL, MCL, and 2 ligaments. Has nothing to do with age when you are talking a 15 to 40 year old. Basically the same thing happend to me in my high school game that happened to West. Went up for a layup and came down awkwardly and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    I'm 18 years old and I blew out my knee when I was 17 and just had the surgery 9 weeks ago. I tore my ACL, MCL, and 2 ligaments. Has nothing to do with age when you are talking a 15 to 40 year old. Basically the same thing happend to me in my high school game that happened to West. Went up for a layup and came down awkwardly and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. I rest my case.

I'm sorry I thought you said you were done?

Hey look! you're making yourself look more and more foolish every time you post.

Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    A physician's opinion:

This injury has nothing to do with age. Bone health, especially in males, typically doesn't change over the course of life, unless men have low calcium/vit D intake or are taking hormone therapy for various ailments (such as prostate cancer).

If West suffered from injury at age 70 I could say it is because he is more prone. Bone constantly remodels itself on a daily and even hourly basis. Muscle is maintainable with stimulation - if you work out and such, muscle tone and growth is largely independent of age.

Where age does play a role is moreso in tendon and ligament damage and maintainance. Tendons connect muscle to ligaments, ligaments connect bone to other bone. These things do not regenerate. Age would be a factor in the health of these body parts, however we are talking about these types of injuries are more common in 50-60-70 year old patients. They can occur in super-weightlifters and again in patients who are steroid supplementing.

This injury has nothing to do with bone health but the misfortune of the physics involved with relation to the injury/trauma. Typically athletes tend to demonstrate wear and tear not during their playing career, but in their late 40s and older.

The reason someone who suffers an injury like this is more prone to future similar injuries is because no patient ever heals 100% perfectly.
    True or False - Generally speaking a young person's ligaments and tendons have more flexibility or give than an older person's?

I'd say its true and thus everyone saying that this particular injury would have happened to any player regardless of age is false.

So in the case of an NBA player who is playing basketball at a hard level for most of their adolescent and adult lives. I think it makes sense that a 30 year would be much more prone to various types of injuries whether it be bone or ligament, because there is a certain element of overuse and trauma placed on the knees in a pro-athlete's case.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Hey look! you're making yourself look more and more foolish every time you post.

I'm okay with that. Its the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    I'm sorry I thought you said you were done?
    Yeah that was last night at 2 AM. I had to get up for dentist appoint in the morning.

True or False - Generally speaking a young person's ligaments and tendons have more flexibility or give than an older person's?

I'd say its true and thus everyone saying that this particular injury would have happened to any player regardless of age is false.

So in the case of an NBA player who is playing basketball at a hard level for most of their adolescent and adult lives. I think it makes sense that a 30 year would be much more prone to various types of injuries whether it be bone or ligament, because there is a certain element of overuse and trauma placed on the knees in a pro-athlete's case.
    He is 30 years old not 80. AND he is in the NBA which means he prob a pretty strong dude he works out quite a bit WHICH ALSO MEANS his left leg is pretty d*** strong. ONCE AGAIN A FREAK ACCIDENT. If you put anyone in the situation that he was in the leg will do the same may because his leg was put into a awkward position that more then likely twisted his knee and tore the ACL. ACL's just don't tear for the hell of it. Once again idk how you still trying to prove your point that a older person is more prone to this type of injury.
    1) It doesn't matter so who gives a ****.
    2) Why are you still on the subject when the guys career could be over and I think most people on here feel sorry for him but doesn't seem like you care too much.
    3) All of us who read your posts have now dropped IQ points. Just saying.

Did you read his post? He's a doctor. Doctor's are always right. TV taught me that.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods