Thread: Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos kidnapped - CBSSports.com

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos kidnapped - CBSSports.com

Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos kidnapped - CBSSports.com

By Evan Brunell

Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos has been kidnapped, the Denver Post's bilingual website, VivaColorado.com, reports, with other media sources corroborating the news.

According to El Nacional, Ramos was approached by four gunmen outside his home and taken away. A source said that the kidnappers have yet to contact the family.

Ramos hails from Venezuela, where there is a significant problem with kidnapping. Generally, these crimes are for money and Ramos was a logical target, given that his success in the majors earned him the right to a league-minimum contract, which was $414,500 in 2011. That's a lot of money to most people, especially in Venezuela.

The 24-year-old just completed his rookie season with Washington, hitting .267/.334/.445 in 435 plate appearances, slugging 15 homers. The righty supplanted Ivan Rodriguez as the starting catcher early on and is expected to start at catcher next season.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeonBaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Default Re: Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos kidnapped - CBSSports.com

Wow you can't make this stuff up

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My faith in humanity is waning. Maybe we do need Ra's Al Ghul to save society from itself.

As a Nats fan, I hope this is just a "standard" Venezuelan kidnapping and he pays these goofs whatever they want and its over with. This guy is absolutely a rising star in the MLB and will be making a ton of money in the coming years. Really sad the guy probably won't be able to go home much after this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a Nats fan, I hope this is just a "standard" Venezuelan kidnapping and he pays these goofs whatever they want and its over with. This guy is absolutely a rising star in the MLB and will be making a ton of money in the coming years. Really sad the guy probably won't be able to go home much after this.
    He is good but you may need to move him Derrick Norris is a stud defensively but I bet the Nats trade him. Nats farm system is loaded.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 11-09-2011 at 11:34 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Default Re: Lockout News and Discussions thread

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Okay... you guys are gonna kill me for bringing this one back up again. Do you remember like a hundred pages ago when we were talking about NBA players getting kidnapped if were to go play in South America? Remember how that was all tongue-in-cheek and joking? Weeeeeeell...

http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2626688

(MLB player got kidnapped in Venezuela)

Sorry, vnzla81. I just thought the irony was too great.

BTW, this sounded more callous than I intended. I do hope the guy is okay and can get back to his family safely.
    Yeah I saw this yesterday, I hope the guy is OK.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Okay... you guys are gonna kill me for bringing this one back up again. Do you remember like a hundred pages ago when we were talking about NBA players getting kidnapped if were to go play in South America? Remember how that was all tongue-in-cheek and joking? Weeeeeeell...

http://wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2626688

(MLB player got kidnapped in Venezuela)

Sorry, vnzla81. I just thought the irony was too great.

BTW, this sounded more callous than I intended. I do hope the guy is okay and can get back to his family safely.
    That's why I hate going to visit my customer in Venezuela. When they have two cars meet you at the airport (so one can be a decoy, and if they pick yours anyway the other can run for help), it seems a little dicey.

BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    That's why I hate going to visit my customer in Venezuela. When they have two cars meet you at the airport (so one can be a decoy, and if they pick yours anyway the other can run for help), it seems a little dicey.

The shell game with 2 cars.... Doesn't seem well thought out IMO.

OF course if you just wear your Pacers gear they won't mess with you. They'll think your packing..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Who are your costumers and what are you taking over there that you need two cars? This sounds a bit overboard if you ask me.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Who are your costumers and what are you taking over there that you need two cars? This sounds a bit overboard if you ask me.
    Customer is Cantv, and I don't do anything but make the arrangements for the security guys to meet me. They said this was standard for picking folks up at the airport for flights that arrive after dark.

For others who don't know, the airport is quite a ways from Caracas and you go through some pretty ugly areas. It isn't so bad since they got the direct freeway fixed, but for a while it was surface streets only.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Customer is Cantv, and I don't do anything but make the arrangements for the security guys to meet me. They said this was standard for picking folks up at the airport for flights that arrive after dark.

For others who don't know, the airport is quite a ways from Caracas and you go through some pretty ugly areas. It isn't so bad since they got the direct freeway fixed, but for a while it was surface streets only.
    Oh I understand now, yeah after dark and before they got the freeway fixed, going through the ghetto to get to caracas must be scary, no thank you

Horrible. Such a good up and coming catcher. Like someone mentioned already, this is standard in that area. It's sad.