Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As most of you know I'm not a huge fan of Josh, but Josh is probably a better fit with Roy and Danny. Josh makes Danny and Roy better because of his passing and ball handling. Although it is more likely that Tyler instead of Josh makes the Pacers a better team.
    Who cares if Josh makes Roy better? I think Roy's made a pretty clear this year through his play that he might be a solid center who will have some good stretches, but he is not the long term corner stone of your team. Basically, you don't decide who else to start based on Roy Hibbert.

Tyler has helped the Pacers win more. Roy and Danny are like yo-yos. Their stats in wins and losses are polar opposites. Tyler doesn't see nearly as much variation...in other words, he's actually been much more consistent.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    You can't pose a question like this using a mere 10 game sample as evidence.
    Sure you can. Watch and see how well the following goes over...

I really think Tyler has shot the ball extremely well lately and has been playing some of his best basketball yet - Nap.

WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO DO TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE THAT THINK I HATE HIM?!?

(cue hypocrisy now)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I don't get why people are still hating on Tyler. Even ESPN and NBA TV are recognizing him now and now I read that his own fan base is hating on him? WHY!? The guy is playing amazing and PF is not even close to the biggest whole in this team. The biggest hole is SG and I think that is obvious with PG following close being. We NEED to sign a good veteran SG this off-season to help Danny out.

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    I don't get why people are still hating on Tyler. Even ESPN and NBA TV are recognizing him now and now I read that his own fan base is hating on him? WHY!? The guy is playing amazing and PF is not even close to the biggest whole in this team. The biggest hole is SG and I think that is obvious with PG following close being. We NEED to sign a good veteran SG this off-season to help Danny out.

Who is hating on Tyler?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Who cares if Josh makes Roy better? I think Roy's made a pretty clear this year through his play that he might be a solid center who will have some good stretches, but he is not the long term corner stone of your team. Basically, you don't decide who else to start based on Roy Hibbert.

Tyler has helped the Pacers win more. Roy and Danny are like yo-yos. Their stats in wins and losses are polar opposites. Tyler doesn't see nearly as much variation...in other words, he's actually been much more consistent.

maybe you didn't read my final sentence in what you quoted.

Who is hating on Tyler?
    Okay maybe not hating but still doubting. I mean what else does he have to do to make people believe he is a starting PF. Why wouldn't you want him starting? He brings an intensity to the game that is so needed from tip-off to get a good start to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Dude. That isn't at all what I was saying. What a ridiculous response.

Quite frankly, Tyler is not a guy that you can just throw out there into any lineup and expect him to integrate himself into the group.

That isn't a bad thing necessarily, but the way he plays, offensively, is not a way that is going to endear him to his teammates either.
    Well, again, if his play is not going to "endear him to his teammates" best let him go versus having dissension on the team for that is what it will be if your statement ends up panning out. Is it okay for Granger to shoot blazing away hitting or not and likewise with Jones but Tyler has to watch every shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

I really think Tyler has shot the ball extremely well lately and has been playing some of his best basketball yet - Nap.

(cue hypocrisy now)
    Hater.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by k_lewis93 View Post
    Okay maybe not hating but still doubting. I mean what else does he have to do to make people believe he is a starting PF. Why wouldn't you want him starting? He brings an intensity to the game that is so needed from tip-off to get a good start to the game.

What an easy question to answer. Play like this for a longer period of time........

There have been many average NBA players who managed to put together a few exceptional weeks, only to come back down to earth and become a average NBA player again.

Will Tyler do the same? We don't know, that's the point of the thread.

Instead of getting bent out of shape, and claiming that people are "hating" on him, how about we actually take a rational look at what people have been saying.

That a 10 game sample size isn't nearly big enough to say one way or the other on how his career will end up. That's not "hating." That's called being realistic, and not being over-emotional because he's strung together 10 good games.

I seriously doubt there are many Pacer fans that want to see Tyler fail. I think that we all can agree that we hope Tyler keeps this level of production.

But just because we hope, doesn't mean that will be reality.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I never used the word accomodate. I'm not suggesting Tyler change his game, I was asking whether Tyler and Roy were a good fit together, whether Tyler Danny and Roy were a good fit together. I don't have the answer to that question, my point is we need to answer that instead of saying wow Tyler is averaging 21 points a game yep he's the answer. He might average 6 pts a game and he might be the answer.

I was mainly arguing against the approach that was in the first post
    Fair enough. Good clarification. Appreciate such. Only thing I would question is who else is going to score the kind of points needed on this team if Granger does not get help from Tyler? Hibbert is very inconsistent as are most of the rest of the guys. Tyler has been more reliable than any of the others this last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

(cue hypocrisy now)
    IF you didn't LOVE Duke so much then you would realize how good Tyler really is?!?!?!

Mood

I like Tyler a lot. I love his combination of grit, energy and skill. I'm very happy with his play as of late and his development over what has basically been his rookie season. I think I'm going to snag a #50 jersey soon. I'm excited to see how he develops.

That doesn't mean I am ready to say Tyler is the answer for starting power forward forever and ever, amen. There are a small handful of people who hate Tyler and/or North Carolina around here, but many of us are just in cautiously optimistic mode. 10 or so games is too small of a sample size to anoint him. If you know anything about statistical probability what we're concerned about here is regression to the mean. Tyler is good, but it's too early to know how good yet. I don't so much doubt him as I am enjoying the ride while waiting to put every single one of my eggs in his basket. Wait, that sounded weird. But you know what I mean.

Besides which, as has been pointed out, we will have relatively few players under contract at the end of this year. We will need to sign more big guys regardless of how Tyler plays. I'd guess that our front office is waiting to see how the rest of the season and post season plays out before deciding if we need to be targeting a starting PF or a backup PF (or C or a guy capable of going PF/C). That is as it should be, imo.
    Last edited by gummy; 03-24-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

So the idea is 10 games isn't enough to be sold on him, and I would agree.

Then my question is: How many games is enough? 20? 30? 50? 100? Never?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

about 100 maybe more. I would say 2 seasons

I think a full season is reasonable. I mean how many players fall completely off the map after a productive season? IMO probably very few.

After going through these type of discussions with Rush the last 3 years I guess I might be more skeptical.

Not sure its an amount of games.

For one, I want to confirm what he's doing that he can do consistently, which I think he's broke through with that recently.

THEN, I want to see the league adjust to him, what he's doing sucessfully right now. Then see him counter. It's just like Roy, for me.

I remember Ramone Sessions absolutely killing it the end of the year, recently. It was fools gold for the most part because teams realized he didn't have range and would play off him, plus he was a minus defender. He's playing better now, but at the time, he looked like an Allstar with the numbers he was putting up in Milwaukee. I guess I think its a process and depends on who it is as for how long it takes.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say one off season after the league has your initial success figured out, then what you look like that following season.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think a full season is reasonable. I mean how many players fall completely off the map after a productive season? IMO probably very few.

After going through these type of discussions with Rush the last 3 years I guess I might be more skeptical.
    I wouldn't compare it with the Rush situation, really. Tyler will never be at risk to 'disappearing' in a game. His risks are injury (concussion) and not having enough dimensions to his game.

I'm hopeful, but like the rest of you I want to see how it plays out over a longer stretch of time.

I wouldn't compare it with the Rush situation, really. Tyler will never be at risk to 'disappearing' in a game. His risks are injury (concussion) and not having enough dimensions to his game.

I'm hopeful, but like the rest of you I want to see how it plays out over a longer stretch of time.
    Whether your limitations are do to mental toughness or physical abilites they are still limitations in my book.

I agree though that Rush isn't like Tyler. My point was simply that Rush has turned me off from putting my hope into one players development.

Depends on what your asking as far as the expectations. As a 20pt scorer, or thereabout, I would say another 20 games. So 30.

But I think we have enough evidence that he has the ability to be a 12-14pt scorer, regardless of his role. To be honest, I thought that was going to be his ceiling. I viewed him as a good backup 4, who could carry you at times when the offense was struggling or when he just got it going. I didn't expect to see his jumper, and especially his baseline turn-around jumper to be so consistent.

I think we all knew he was going to put in the time and effort to become a better player. I thought he'd have the ability to knock down those shots, but I didn't think he had the ability to be able to get that shot within the offense, whenever he wanted too.

I think the biggest factor in his developlement, is his ability to stay out of foul trouble while defending at a pretty good level. That's the shocker. I didn't think his defense was going to be good enough to warrant starter minutes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

I actually like Tyler and Hibbert together. It seems like Roy, lately at least, has been more focused on rebounding and defense then offense. I think it helps Roy to not have to carry a large offensive load.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Not sure its an amount of games.

For one, I want to confirm what he's doing that he can do consistently, which I think he's broke through with that recently.

THEN, I want to see the league adjust to him, what he's doing sucessfully right now. Then see him counter. It's just like Roy, for me.

If I had to put a number on it, I'd say one off season after the league has your initial success figured out, then what you look like that following season.
    I don't think it takes the NBA that long to figure players out. They don't need a whole offseason.

Roy started off the season playing really well, and then teams adjusted after the first month. If Tyler can string together two whole months of this, I think it's a safe assumption that he can continue it into next season as well.

Mood

Just did a back of the envelope statistical calculation. If all other factors were going to stay the same I'd say about 25 games of consistent production (that is, looking at his personal averages over that stretch of time, plus team statistics, plus the important but ambiguous eye test) would make me fairly confident about Tyler owning the PF spot going forward. This doesn't mean I would say no to a clear upgrade, but it might be pretty hard to judge what an upgrade would look like.

Of course, things won't stay the same - teams will adjust and start playing Tyler differently. Tyler will respond and he will develop his game outside of the context of adjustments as well. Those things are very hard to quantify. I don't know when they will happen or exactly what will happen.

So acknowledging that this is part art and part science I'd go with something like 40 games as my "could be wrong but I'm more than comfortable enough to go with him anyway as my starting PF," and about 70-80 games before I hit "are you kidding me, this isn't even a question anymore," stage.

I will also say that at this time what I am most concerned about is his defense. It has gotten better, but being undersized seems to be more of a problem for him on the defensive end than it is on the offensive end.
    Last edited by gummy; 03-24-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

Undefeated

I've found the Pacers need a PF idea gathered momentum awhile ago and for some reason, dispite tons of evidence to the contrary, people still think it's our biggest need.

This is what I think this team needs, in order:

1.) A point guard. Bigger, better defender, better passer.
    2.) A shooting guard who can create for himself
    3.) Backup center to replace Foster
    Danger Zone

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with that if you're talking about players who you are acquiring from different teams and are now hoping they can play together. But these three are all doing this together now, so if you like their stats that they are producing while on the same team, then I think that says they fit well enough. At least when it comes to offense.
    The issue with that is that the offense has not been better when those three are together. By any stretch. It has actually been poorer with Tyler starting than with him off the bench.

This is not an indictment of Tyler. It is a fact. He puts up numbers. That is a good thing. But he doesn't improve the offense. He just changes it.

The Pacers average 98.6 points per game in the 19 Tyler starts. They average 101.8 in the others.

Roy averages 8.8 points per game in the 19 Tyler starts. He averages 13.9 in the others.

The question shouldn't be whether you are okay with Tyler getting 21, Danny getting 20, and Roy getting 15.

The question should be if you are okay with Tyler getting 16, Danny getting 20, and Roy getting 9. Because those are their averages when Tyler starts.

This is why the thread that was started that about Tyler or Roy makes sense. They don't seem to be a very good combo. I would lean towards picking Tyler because you know what you will get from him most nights but I can see both arguments.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 03-24-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    about 100 maybe more. I would say 2 seasons
    Well then how do you explain the boners on this board for Paul George?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods