Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler Hansbrough's mental toughness, heart & motor are more MVP capable than all of DG's skills combined. I really think Tyler is a rare breed of player that will do whatever it takes to not lose. Very Kobe Bryant like!!!
    Now that. Is overrating him.

Tyler is never, ever going to touch MVP consideration in this universe.

Toughness and hustle get you so far, and he has more talent than he's given credit for, but come on... that's ludicrous.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Mood

Originally Posted by Lou Bega
    Tyler Hansbrough's mental toughness, heart & motor are more MVP capable than all of DG's skills combined. I really think Tyler is a rare breed of player that will do whatever it takes to not lose. Very Kobe Bryant like!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    You are not helping here

I don't know, maybe he is. If there were a few more of him this thread would probably unite 90% of the board in opposition to them, ala the Cabbage fan invasion.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    Micheal Jordan's/ Larry Bird's mental toughness, heart & motor are more MVP capable than all of DG's skills combined. I really think Tyler is a rare breed of player that will do whatever it takes to not lose. Very Kobe Bryant like!!!
    FIXED

thought the SAC game exposed the down side of starting tyler at the 4. cousins just manhandled him. pacers had no answer for teams with a couple of big bigs. tyler's effort is not going to make up for some guys just being too big and strong. pacers still need size and strength in the front court.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    thought the SAC game exposed the down side of starting tyler at the 4. cousins just manhandled him. pacers had no answer for teams with a couple of big bigs. tyler's effort is not going to make up for some guys just being too big and strong. pacers still need size and strength in the front court.
    Yeah but Cousins could play center in the NBA, he's that big. The Kings pretty much start 2 centers in Cousins and Dalembert.

I agree the Pacers need more size and strength upfront, but Hansbrough isn't going to see a Cousins type body nightly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Yeah but Cousins could play center in the NBA, he's that big. The Kings pretty much start 2 centers in Cousins and Dalembert.

I agree the Pacers need more size and strength upfront, but Hansbrough isn't going to see a Cousins type body nightly.
    He will tonight in Greg Moneroe who they play at the 4

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    But I guess I just think it's better for the team as a whole, if the starters don't dig the team a really big hole. Actually, IMO..you could tell the bench players were starting to get pretty annoyed with that.

You can deal with the bench being not as good, in general..because you don't have to play them as a unit (Vogel said he's going to try and either have Danny, Roy, or Hans in with them at all times..which is a good thing) You play the starters as a unit. So as much fun as "the goon squad" was..it's more important that the starters are playing well.
    The starters have scored 46 total points in the last two first halves.

Against team's that have combined to win 45 games.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I haven't seen anyone even argue that Tyler in the staring lineup hasn't helped that group. BWD has made a pretty good argument that it hasn't helped the team as a whole, however. The starting lineup might have become more productive, but by sacrificing his scoring in the second unit, that group has suffered. Both groups are part of the team. Yet those numbers are discounted for some reason.

I've said all along, that it is pretty much inconsequential who starts at the power forward position between Tyler and Josh. I still believe that. It doesn't matter who starts, but the minutes each gets should be relative to how they are playing that night. It is a fluid situation. There is no question that they are completely different players. The only similarities are the position they play, and the color of their skin.

Sometimes Tyler's style is a huge help, and sometimes it is somewhat detrimental. Sometimes Josh's style is a huge help, and sometimes he's somewhat invisible. There are positives and negatives to each, and I've written several times what those are for each player.
    Dead on down the line Mackey.

I don't call for Josh to be an all-star, and given his unique mix of talent and size that wouldn't be all that surprising. But the problem is you just don't end up with the massive level of impact that an all-star has. I guess it's "disappearing" though I don't think he shies away from being involved.

He just hits stretches where (like Rush) he ends up on the outside looking in. But I love him as the "ligament" guy that connects the stars together and fills in the gaps.

Tyler is clearly less comfortable as that type, the background type, and far more comfortable and apparently capable of being the main scoring focus.

You need both. I think the bench needs Tyler's offense more, although if DC, Danny and Roy aren't going to score then that's different.

Frankly PF is the only position on the team I've been consistently pleased with the last month or two.

The starters have scored 46 total points in the last two first halves.
    Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    You're not talking about Tyler at all in this post?

If not, you need to clarify who "Tyler" is then.
    Come on S86, don't play naive. Obviously he meant Tyler Durden.

Oh, or maybe you are a member of FC and are thinking of rules 1 and 2. Nevermind then, I don't want any issues with soap. Carry on.

They've both been firmly in the Josh camp from day 1.
    Problem 1 - you see it as "camps" and most of the people on the "anti" Tyler is a superstar side don't view it that way at all.

Problem 2 - day 1 started more than a year before Tyler was even on the f-bomb team when the f-bomb moron coaching the team didn't realize he already had one pretty capable more traditional and physical PF on the end of his bench. This leads to....

Problem 3 - most of the "Josh camp" are people that simply wanted him to get a chance to show what he had beyond wearing a suit. They did not want the rest of the world to recognize his total awesomeness and basketball glory, they just wanted people and the coach to stop acting like he was a worthless piece of crap not worth even having on the roster.

Even the #1 most adamant "Tyler is not a good pick" person - me - has said from day 1 that I more than welcomed Tyler putting it in my face. When he didn't play, when the vertigo kicked in I said that I didn't want to be "right" in that way. I wanted Tyler to make it or go down fighting with a sincere chance to make it.

Then some insane nutjobs* turned this into some martyr complex issues where Tyler was showing all the haters who wanted him to fail.

No. We just didn't want someone shoving 4-12 with 3 of his own shots blocked down our throats as some great performance and signs of his future stardom.

It's just not the same thing in the least.

*Tyler is bringing them out of the woodwork. At the Houston game Gnome and I went to (a road game in Texas keep in mind) someone brought a large framed CANVAS painting (like 3' x 4') of Tyler for him to sign. I don't mean before the game. I mean this person was sitting with this painting in about row 3 behind the Pacers bench during the game. Security was stumped about how to handle it because technically I don't think they were comfortable with someone having a big heavy piece of wood/canvas in the arena, let along near the bench area. It wasn't remotely reasonable or normal.

There are fans of Tyler. That's fine. My concern is with the cult members which aren't the same people. I think some of the fans are confusing the blasts directed at the cult as also being directed at them. They aren't intended that way in the least.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-27-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's like being a political moderate, stuck in a room with a hard core liberal continuously arguing with a hard core conservative. You see both of their points, to a degree, but ultimately you're just left worn out and wishing you could hear something else.
    Yeah, but that's not what this is.

Mackey, BRush and I aren't on the "no, Tyler sucks" side. That would be the two extremes.

We aren't arguing with you for liking Tyler or being pleased with his recent shooting, heck we are with you on that.

We are arguing with the completely bats*** crazy false martyrdom of this thread title. It implies as though Tyler gets no respect and has gone well beyond all benchmarks to demand respect as potentially one of the greatest Pacers players ever to play.

Even some of Tyler's bigger fans are starting to cringe at some of that talk.

I was outright insulted by this thread being posted because it ignores anything positive I've said about Tyler in recent weeks. You'd be hard pressed to find a bunch of threads saying "well I still say he sucks" in the last month from ANYONE.

I mean I'm facing having to eat a bunch of humble pie and I'm not hiding from the threads or from making positive statements. So where is the actual enemy at in all this? Where is the great oppressor keeping Tyler down?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    *Tyler is bringing them out of the woodwork. At the Houston game Gnome and I went to (a road game in Texas keep in mind) someone brought a large framed CANVAS painting (like 3' x 4') of Tyler for him to sign. I don't mean before the game. I mean this person was sitting with this painting in about row 3 behind the Pacers bench during the game. Security was stumped about how to handle it because technically I don't think they were comfortable with someone having a big heavy piece of wood/canvas in the arena, let along near the bench area. It wasn't remotely reasonable or normal.

Thanks for the story...this part made me laugh out loud.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.