Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 211

Thread: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    I am still seeing regular comments on PD how we need to go after a power forward in the off season. That where we need help.

    Here are some Hansbrough stats over the past 10 games:

    FG% 58

    FT% 79

    PPG 21

    Reb/game 7.6

    Steals/game 1.4

    Is there room for improvement? Sure, with just about everyone including you and me BUT we all have seen and know Tyler has improved immensely over the course of this season. Who thought we would be seeing what we now see in him 2 months ago?

    What I want to know is what it is going to take to please the critics? He is going to get better and better given time and experience and we see that happening even now so why the dissatisfaction? I am not smart enough to see it (in view of his growth and continual growth).

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacerHound For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,066

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    You can't pose a question like this using a mere 10 game sample as evidence.

    I thought Tyler would be this productive since the Pacers drafted him, but to be fair, he hasn't been involved in the offense to this extent for very long. Let it play out through the postseason before making any definitive judgments about Indiana's offseason priorities. Eventually, defenses are going to adjust to him.
    Last edited by Kstat; 03-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Tyler would be this productive since the Pacers drafted him
    Maybe he would have without the health issues. IDK. I still think we need more production from the 2.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can't pose a question like this using a mere 10 game sample as evidence.
    Sure you can. Watch and see how well the following goes over...


    I really think Tyler has shot the ball extremely well lately and has been playing some of his best basketball yet - Nap.

    WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO DO TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE THAT THINK I HATE HIM?!?



    (cue hypocrisy now)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure you can. Watch and see how well the following goes over...


    I really think Tyler has shot the ball extremely well lately and has been playing some of his best basketball yet - Nap.

    WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO DO TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE THAT THINK I HATE HIM?!?



    (cue hypocrisy now)
    Hater.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  11. #6

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sure you can. Watch and see how well the following goes over...


    I really think Tyler has shot the ball extremely well lately and has been playing some of his best basketball yet - Nap.

    WHAT MORE DO I NEED TO DO TO PLEASE YOU PEOPLE THAT THINK I HATE HIM?!?



    (cue hypocrisy now)
    IF you didn't LOVE Duke so much then you would realize how good Tyler really is?!?!?!

  12. #7
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF you didn't LOVE Duke so much then you would realize how good Tyler really is?!?!?!
    Exactly.


    What sucks is that if it weren't for all this bizarre overreaction we could have really sane, interesting discussions of his progression and how he might be well on his way to making my projection that he didn't have what it takes to make it look stupid.

    It doesn't have to be this crazy debate about how the most cheered player in Conseco is being "hated".


    Things I was wrong about initially - Tyler won't be able to draw fouls the same way. This went wrong for me right away, although at least I recognized that a major portion of his scoring was via FTAs (in college).

    That's it. What I was right about was that he was undersized, didn't have the power scoring game that Bird suggested and didn't have a quality set of go-to scoring moves, and all of this would keep his scoring/FG% down.

    That was happening. I said he would get stuffed a lot inside and he did. Not at the rim, below the rim. If he didn't draw fouls it would have been a disaster.


    AND THEN...

    Dude dialed in this jumper, Vogel started putting him in PnR to get him that shot and he partially reinvented himself as this dagger machine from 18 feet.

    It's not really what we were supposed to be drafting for at the time because we already had a PF that could shoot from the outside, and as nice as Tyler is shooting it's still not 40% from 3 for a full season or two.

    Tyler is what Troy was EXCEPT that he gives you defense and much higher value rebounds (ie, tough ones that you might not have gotten without Tyler).

    He's not the true power guy that Blair is or that the Pacers were in need of at the time, but what he has become does fit the team's need quite well at this point. His shooting opens up the lane for Collison and flat out puts points up at a HIGH PPS, higher than what his PPS was running up until the last month.


    I AM NOT COMPLAINING when it comes to Tyler's play. I'll eat the humble pie happily as he becomes something I never saw him becoming. I'm a Pacers fan after all.

    I am tired of people acting like people like me aren't saying what I just said. It's even worse when some of those people are just as happy to rip on Josh, Rush or George because they somehow view them as direct competition for Tyler's fanbase. It's not an either or situation.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.


    What sucks is that if it weren't for all this bizarre overreaction we could have really sane, interesting discussions of his progression
    This is almost as much of a straw man as the one you were complaining about. Yes, there are more of them than there are of you/Mackey/whomever, but neither of you is the majority, and you're both just a noisy minority that sometimes causes the rest of us wish we had earmuffs.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  16. #9
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tyler is what Troy was EXCEPT that he gives you defense and much higher value rebounds (ie, tough ones that you might not have gotten without Tyler).
    Uh, aren't you forgetting something? He's not nearly as powerful of an NBA player as he was an NCAA player, but he still bangs a LOT more than Troy ever, EVER did offensively, and you leave out what you already talked about earlier in this post, which is his free throw attempts. I can't believe you left these two out when you wrote this line.

  17. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,944

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Considering that this is almost like his rookie season, his improvement throughout the year has been incredible.
    I still think getting a versatile big that can play both 4/5 in the off season should be a goal. There's nothing wrong with having a starting caliber big man coming off the bench weather it's Tyler, Roy or our new guy. Let's face it Antonio Davis would have started on almost any other team in his prime with the Pacers.
    The way Tyler is playing and improving it would be hard to justify playing him as a 6th. man though. I'm sold on Tyler being part of our future.
    Last edited by Pacerized; 03-24-2011 at 09:28 AM.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Considering that this is almost like his rookie season, his improvement throughout the year has been incredible. fficeffice" />>>
    I still think getting a versatile big that can play both 4/5 in the off season should be a goal. There's nothing wrong with having a starting caliber big man coming off the bench weather it's Tyler, ffice:smarttags" />lace>Roylace> or our new guy. Let's face it Antonio Davis would have started on almost any other team in his prime with the Pacers. >>
    The way lace>Tylerlace> is playing and improving it would be hard to justify playing him as a 6th. man though. I'm sold on Tyler being part of our future.

    I have no idea what the hell the message you just just tried to convey actually means.
    Grown Man Ball

  20. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    3,944

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no idea what the hell the message you just just tried to convey actually means.
    I have no idea what happened. That wasn't the way I typed it. It seems to be o.k. now that I've edited it though.

  21. #13
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    The big knock on Hansbrough a month ago was that he was a black hole on offense and that his FG% was too low. Well his offense has become the most efficient on our roster and his FG% is through the roof.

    What are the complaints about him now?
    Grown Man Ball

  22. #14
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The big knock on Hansbrough a month ago was that he was a black hole on offense and that his FG% was too low. Well his offense has become the most efficient on our roster and his FG% is through the roof.

    What are the complaints about him now?


    Against physical defenders he disappears... this is coming from a supporter though.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Things are going exactly as I thought they would for Tyler. It's taken a little longer than expected due to his injury and some bizarre DNP-CDs, but he's found his niche as a scorer

    His pre-draft writeup from DX sounds very similar to what we're now seeing...

    Situational Statistics: This Year's (2009) Power Forward Crop :: DraftExpress.com

    What about Tyler Hansbrough you ask? He actually fared quite well, in a number of different categories in fact. For one, he ranked third amongst all PFs in points per possession in terms of finishing around the basket, at 1.39. His field goal percentage was fairly average here—64%, just slightly under the mean—but the fact that he draws fouls on an outstanding 20% of his possessions (easily ranking him first) made him substantially more efficient in that regard. He also managed to keep his turnovers extremely low, and also did a nice job converting on his jump-shot attempts—making a very solid 42% on an admittedly small 2.7 possessions per game. His ability to operate out of isolation situations looks very encouraging (50% FG), while he was the second most efficient PF in post-up situations as well. From a pure statistical standpoint, Hansbrough obviously looks like a solid prospect based on his college data.

  25. #16
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Against physical defenders he disappears... this is coming from a supporter though.
    Chicago and Philadelphia are very physical teams defensively. What games are you basing this on?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  27. #17

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    You need more than ten games to get a good read on a guy.

    For further reading, see Croshere, Austin.

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  29. #18
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,633

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Granted we need to see if Hansbrough can continue this trend but I don't think that PF is the biggest weakness of this team. It's probably the 3rd or maybe even 4th weakest position.

    The biggest need the Pacers have, IMO, is at SG and PG follows closely behind. They are also weaker at Center (depth-wise) than they are at PF. It's possible that the young talent the Pacers have at the guard positions will improve enough to the point that they are not positions of weakness but as of right now that's the way I see it.

    At any rate, the Pacers need to add talent and it doesn't matter if Tyler is your potential starting PF of the future and Roy is the Center of the future. If you can add someone like David West or Tyson Chandler you do it because it will make your team better. Having too much talent is a good problem to have and one that all the top teams have to deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  31. #19
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    If tylers jumper continues to be.money then we do not need a pf. Our upgrade position should be at pg if we are looking to improve.

    This is coming from a Darren fan as well.

    With the scoring from Danny and Tyler it makes the sg position a defensive position. Roy is giving us 12 a game.

    With that said I do not know who we would go after but a player like dwill would make.this.team top 5 worthy pretty quick. We would have to wait another year to get him though.

    Next year if it does not look like he.will resign offer George and dc for him..

  32. #20

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With that said I do not know who we would go after but a player like dwill would make.this.team top 5 worthy pretty quick. We would have to wait another year to get him though.
    Stop. Please. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that a player like DWill is going to come here. NONE.

  33. #21

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stop. Please. There is absolutely no chance whatsoever that a player like DWill is going to come here. NONE.
    Yes, he really hates playing in small market teams. With wanting to stay in Utah, and all.

    I hate these kinds of comments. They sound like woe is me. The truth is you pay him enough money and have a good team around him and it's up in the air.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:


  35. #22

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, he really hates playing in small market teams. With wanting to stay in Utah, and all.
    Wait, what? I heard an interview on the Jim Rome show with Utah's GM where he said point blank that they traded Deron because they felt sure that he was going to leave and they wanted to make sure they got something back. What do you know that he doesn't?

    You may hate comments like that, but that doesn't mean they're not true. If the Pacers want to win a championship, they're going to need to build through the draft and with quality trades. The idea that they would ever land an elite free agent is simply internet forum fodder. Sorry...

  36. #23

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerHound View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am still seeing regular comments on PD how we need to go after a power forward in the off season. That where we need help.

    What I want to know is what it is going to take to please the critics? He is going to get better and better given time and experience and we see that happening even now so why the dissatisfaction? I am not smart enough to see it (in view of his growth and continual growth).
    What would it take to please me? For him to do it for the rest of season and actually play well against good playoff defense like Boston's (edit he just went 4-14 against Boston). David West on the other hand just went 14-23 scoring 32 points against Boston.

    I think Tyler has given Bird a reason to reconsider signing a starting pf in the off season but personally I don't think he has done enough to show that his position shouldn't be upgraded. OF course I don't think anybody on the team has earned that right.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 03-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.

  37. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would it take to please me? For him to do it for the rest of season and actually play well against good playoff defense like Boston's (edit he just went 4-14 against Boston). David West on the other hand just went 14-23 scoring 32 points against Boston.
    He dropped 29 & 12 on 12-19 shooting against arguably the best defending foursome of bigs in the league: Noah, Gibson, Asik and Kurt Thomas. Charlotte also has a solid defensive frontcourt, and Tyler abused them as well (8-10, 24 points).

  38. #25
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,633

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hansbrough - What Does It Take To Please

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He dropped 29 & 12 on 12-19 shooting against arguably the best defending foursome of bigs in the league: Noah, Gibson, Asik and Kurt Thomas. Charlotte also has a solid defensive frontcourt, and Tyler abused them as well (8-10, 24 points).
    He also scored 27 against Kenyon Martin in Denver which is very impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Similar Threads

  1. Hansbroughisms
    By bphil in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM
  2. Article on Tyler Hansbroughs older brother Greg.
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 10:56 PM
  3. Tbird analysis: An in depth study of Tyler Hansbrough
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 05:34 PM
  4. The Five Stages Of Accepting Tyler Hansbrough
    By Peter_sixtyftsixin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
  5. Hansbrough a year ago.
    By RWB in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •