View Poll Results: Dunleavy's absence has made your heart . . .

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grow fonder of his importance to our team

53 70.67%
  • Grow less fond of his importance to our team

22 29.33%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dunleavy's absence has made your heart . . .

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Dunleavy's absence has made your heart . . .

For me, I've decided we need him in the starting unit. He really does help the offense a bit more than the liabilities he brings on defense. Paul George is almost there, but not quite. I like PG for next year, but for the rest of this season and a playoff run, I like Mike as the lead shooting guard.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 03-24-2011 at 08:23 AM.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dunleavy's absence has made your heart . . .

No offense to Mike. I love the way he plays the game. He's not that tough or great defensively, but he is a very smart player. And I appreciate that. I just think that Mike Dunleavy is a dead end street. He will only marginally help in the playoffs. I think he is an asset to our team, but I would rather the minutes go to Paul, Brandon, and Dahntay since there is a significant chance they will be here next year.

I hope Mike signs with San Antonio.

If he gets his shot back then I don't have a problem with him starting but if he shoots below 35% on his 3 pointers and is below 40% in his FG% then I don't think he adds enough offensively to warrant starting over Rush or PG.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

I do miss Mike cause I think the offense flows better when he's on the court. That's about it though. Brandon and D Jones provide better defense, which I care most about, but they do make me cringe a bit on offense.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mike creates flow and movement on offense. Though I don't want him as a starter, I want him to be a transition player, meaning he's the guy that'll sub in for Danny on the first unit, then be the one that leads the sub-in guys. He's a natural SF, so why not have him back up Danny, and the SG rotation goes to George/Rush/DJ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

...realize that 2 is a bigger need position for us than 4.

Till Dunleavy's injury, I thought 4 is slightly more problematic - but now we see that George is clearly better off growing from the bench for the next few years. As far as Dahntay/Rush, they are simply not good enough to start on a solid playoff team.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Truthfully, I feel better when he's on the floor or at least dressed. Even if he's not shooting lights out, the threat is always there. Plus, he makes everyone move...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

I had made the same observation last night when I stated that our starting SG rarely contributes meaningfully production on a consistent basis due to the type of offense that we run. ESPECIALLY now that Tyler and Roy are doing better at providing a one-two punch in the post. It will be on rare occassions when both players are on lockdown. Both Paul George and Brandon Rush have started at the SG this season, and neither are lighting the world on fire, but are great role players when they come off the bench. I rather start Dunleavy for his constant movement off-the-ball, and use Paul George/Rush/Jones to shred our opponents' second unit.

As a side note, I wouldn't be against signing him or Richard Hamilton next season. Is Rip available?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dunleavy's absence has made my heart sing. He wont be here next year and I honestly didn't want him here in the first place. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Mood

Hasn't changed my feelings about him one way or the other.

I'd welcome him off the bench heading into the playoffs, but I don't want him back next year.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

We don't need Dunleavy for anything, can somebody tell me who he is going to guard from Chicago? Deng? Korver? Rose? Or who he is going to guard from Boston? Pierce? Ray? Green? Are his 8 ppg since Vogel took over that important? ..... I didn't think so either.

I want Dun back, or draft his secret love child (Kyle Singler).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

It's pretty clear to me at this point that Dunleavy is by far the best offensive option we have at the 2 guard position. It's pretty clear at this point that the inclusion of Rush and George into the starting lineup has not helped the defense in any way.

Really what the absence of Dunleavy has done is make me worry about the long-term future of the position. Rush was given his last chance to step up as a Pacer and failed to take advantage of it. George has failed to step up in equally spectacular fashion. We all want to excuse him because he's young and a rookie, but Rush had just as many flashes during his rookie year as George has had. I can see his potential just like everyone else, but I'm going to be pretty skeptical until he shows the inclination to consistently assert himself offensively.

As for Jones, I hate it when he has the ball in his hands. Other than that, I like him as a player.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had made the same observation last night when I stated that our starting SG rarely contributes meaningfully production on a consistent basis due to the type of offense that we run. ESPECIALLY now that Tyler and Roy are doing better at providing a one-two punch in the post. It will be on rare occassions when both players are on lockdown. Both Paul George and Brandon Rush have started at the SG this season, and neither are lighting the world on fire, but are great role players when they come off the bench. I rather start Dunleavy for his constant movement off-the-ball, and use Paul George/Rush/Jones to shred our opponents' second unit.

As a side note, I wouldn't be against signing him or Richard Hamilton next season. Is Rip available?

If the Pacers re-sign him, the chances are they'll over pay him, and the Pacers don't need him that badly.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he'll improve this team for the year, and if we sign him for cheap, I wouldn't mind him back next year, he can be a really good bench player. As it stands though, george is best off the bench, where he's proven he will assert himself and be most valuable.

The brandon rush of the last few games is the starter, but if he reverts Mike is a better option there.

Either was I see mike as very valuable to us, at least this season.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    It's pretty clear to me at this point that Dunleavy is by far the best offensive option we have at the 2 guard position. It's pretty clear at this point that the inclusion of Rush and George into the starting lineup has not helped the defense in any way.

Really what the absence of Dunleavy has done is make me worry about the long-term future of the position. Rush was given his last chance to step up as a Pacer and failed to take advantage of it. George has failed to step up in equally spectacular fashion. We all want to excuse him because he's young and a rookie, but Rush had just as many flashes during his rookie year as George has had. I can see his potential just like everyone else, but I'm going to be pretty skeptical until he shows the inclination to consistently assert himself offensively.

As for Jones, I hate it when he has the ball in his hands. Other than that, I like him as a player.
    Which is pretty often.

Good post.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Oh, how abstinence makes the heart grow fonder and how much things look better than they are.

Mood

I wonder if playoff basketball will make Rush step up. I wonder if the increased intensity will effect the way he asserts himself. I want his defense in the playoffs. I want his defense late in games. I would actually like to see him guard Deng if we face the Bulls. Let Granger guard Korver/Brewer/Bogans.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post

Just because Brandon Rush has stayed the same for 3 years (inconsistent) doesn't mean Paul George will.

Also, you would probably see more out of him if we actually ran anything for him. He wants to score with the ball in his hands, so naturally we usually just tell him to stay out of the way and space the floor.

It slightly amazes me how we've gone from running iso plays for him to end the quarter (which he produced when he did), to now we can't even call an iso for him in the middle of the 1st quarter.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    We don't need Dunleavy for anything, can somebody tell me who he is going to guard from Chicago? Deng? Korver? Rose? Or who he is going to guard from Boston? Pierce? Ray? Green? Are his 8 ppg since Vogel took over that important? ..... I didn't think so either.
    Chicago? He would guard whoever their shooting guard is, and that would be great for him because those aren't guys that are going to burn him. Korver, Brewer, Bogans, whoever. Not a bad matchup for Mike.

Boston? I assume it would be Ray Allen. Ray isn't going to drive by him and torch him left and right, but Mike will have to fight through screens galore and chase him around a lot. Not a terrible matchup again.

Really, the one team that we wouldn't want to see if Mike is healthy would be Miami. He (famously) can't guard Dwyane Wade and that is exactly the type of player you want to avoid having Mike check.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Just because Brandon Rush has stayed the same for 3 years (inconsistent) doesn't mean Paul George will.

Also, you would probably see more out of him if we actually ran anything for him. He wants to score with the ball in his hands, so naturally we usually just tell him to stay out of the way and space the floor.

It slightly amazes me how we've gone from running iso plays for him to end the quarter (which he produced when he did), to now we can't even call an iso for him in the middle of the 1st quarter.
    Agreed. I'm nowhere close to writing George off. I'm just skeptical. At this point we've never even seen him play an entire game where he was assertive and active offensively. He's had some brilliant stretches, but there's never been an entire game where I've said "Man, Paul really brought it tonight." Even Rush had some really great games his rookie year.

You make an excellent point about the offense. I have no idea why we're not making any sort of a conscious effort to get him involved. Maybe the 2 guard position is really only designed for 2 types of players: Guys that move well w/o the ball (Dunleavy) and Guys that stand in the corner (Rush). What worries me, however, is that when D. Jones is the SG, he has the ball a lot. Even Rush seems to handle the ball more than George does.

I wonder if moving George into the starting unit was a mistake. It kept him tied to Tyler, who really likes to shoot. I wonder if we'd have played George in the goon squad along with McRoberts if we couldn't encourage him to do more offensively as essentially the #1 option with the second unit. Maybe he's just not ready to shoulder that load yet.

- Salman Rushdie

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dunleavy is not Jordan, but he's our current best SG option for the starting unit. While a lot of love is given for PG's defense, it's mostly individual defense that I feel he excels at, while Dunleavy is obviously not as good of an individual defender, but a better team defender. PG still makes mistakes.

Dun also stirs the starting unit's flow by his off-ball movement, something PG doesn't do very well.

I think the biggest issue, tbo, is Dun's salary. I don't think people would hate on him so much if the monetary obligation to him was reasonable. I don't feel that he's our long-term solution either, but... for this playoff run... if he's 100% and in a groove, we'd be wise to integrate him back to the starters and put PG on the bench.

I'll always contend that he's not near as bad as a lot of people on here say he is, which I can only attribute to most peeps not fully understanding how things actually work and only taking things for face value... but everyone is an expert, aren't they?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Oh, how abstinence makes the heart grow fonder and how much things look better than they are.
    Abstinence? I don't think the heart is what abstinence makes grow.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Chicago? He would guard whoever their shooting guard is, and that would be great for him because those aren't guys that are going to burn him. Korver, Brewer, Bogans, whoever. Not a bad matchup for Mike.

Boston? I assume it would be Ray Allen. Ray isn't going to drive by him and torch him left and right, but Mike will have to fight through screens galore and chase him around a lot. Not a terrible matchup again.

Really, the one team that we wouldn't want to see if Mike is healthy would be Miami. He (famously) can't guard Dwyane Wade and that is exactly the type of player you want to avoid having Mike check.
    Kyle Korver and Ray Allen are both terrible match-ups for Dunleavy. Like Allen, all Korver does is run around screens and move without the ball. Brewer and Bogans aren't the same kind of shooters, and he won't have to stay as tight with them, so he should be fine against them, but not Korver, and if Allen gets an even an inch of space, you're in trouble.

Dunleavy's major defensive weakness is away from the ball. He is simply unable, or unwilling to try to fight through screens and contest jump shooters.

Obviously, he can't guard Wade, simply because Wade is so good. He is a tough cover for any player, but Allen and Korver are potentially even worse for Dunleavy, from a purely match-up perspective.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Our main problem defensively is not Dunleavy. It's Collison.

- Salman Rushdie

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post: