Thread: Colts' Irsay on Manning talks: Deal already should be done

Default Colts' Irsay on Manning talks: Deal already should be done

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...should-be-done

Colts' Irsay on Manning talks: Deal already should be doneNFL.com
    Published: March 21, 2011 at 05:28 p.m. Updated: March 21, 2011 at 07:57 p.m. Liked: 0 | Comments: 87 Email Like Print Read Discuss

Friend(s) Email

Your Email
    Send Email By NFL.com
    More Columns >

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay is frustrated by the state of contract talks with Peyton Manning.

Irsay, who has said he intends to make Manning the NFL's highest-paid player, believes the Colts' last offer to their franchise quarterback before the lockout was good enough to complete a deal.

"It should get done," Irsay said Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting in New Orleans, according to Comcast SportsNet New England. "If you ask me, it should have gotten done. You'll have to ask (Manning's agent) Tom Condon why it's not done."

Manning is scheduled to receive $23 million next season as the Colts' franchise player, but the sides would rather agree on a long-term contract. While the Colts would like to reward Manning for his 11 Pro Bowl seasons and one Super Bowl championship, Irsay also indicated the quarterback is willing to take a deal that will allow the team to remain competitive.

"(Peyton had) always said, 'It's not about money to me, it's not about how much money I make. It's about making sure we have a great team, making sure I'm surrounded by other players that can be re-signed,'" Irsay told NFL Network's Albert Breer. "The Pierre Garcons, the Austin Collies. The young guys that make the difference.

"The money's there," Irsay added. "I'm already offering more than any player's being paid in the league. So why wouldn't it get done?"

Irsay said he believed the sides would have been able to come to an agreement by this point in the offseason. The sides can't have further discussions until the league and the players reach a new collective bargaining agreement.

"I would have thought it would have been done already," Irsay said, according to Comcast SportsNet New England. "But these things get done when they do."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts' Irsay on Manning talks: Deal already should be done

He sounds pretty irritated.

Of course he does he knows if he loses his meal ticket good luck selling out LOS.

I mean I love the Colts but even I know our fanbase is fairweathered.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course he does he knows if he loses his meal ticket good luck selling out LOS.

I mean I love the Colts but even I know our fanbase is fairweathered.
    Most of the Colts fans here in Indy will scatter like rats when the lights come on once Manning is gone.

I hope Irsay does not think calling out your franchise QB in the media about a contract will help speed up the process.

If the Pacers continue to be sub-par after Peyton Manning retires, it could turn into the 1980's again...

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DGPR View Post
    If the Pacers continue to be sub-par after Peyton Manning retires, it could turn into the 1980's again...
    That'd be fine with me if it also meant IU basketball started winning championships.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

I hope Irsay does not think calling out your franchise QB in the media about a contract will help speed up the process.
    It sounds like he is calling out Manning's agent, not Manning himself.

I believe Manning does not want to sign a new deal until a new CBA is in place.

He isn't going anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    It sounds like he is calling out Manning's agent, not Manning himself.

I believe Manning does not want to sign a new deal until a new CBA is in place.

He isn't going anywhere else.

And yet who does that agent work for? Oh that's right Manning.

Condon isn't doing anything that Peyton didn't already say was okay.

And yes to answer the other poster I think Irsay is a big enough tool to do such a thing.

This is the same guy who was asked about the Decision to throw away the perfect season by saying "Even though I could've stopped it I chose not to" or something to that effect.

Yeah whatever just say you didn't care at all. Even Polian can do that and he's a complete d-bag.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"(Peyton had) always said, 'It's not about money to me, it's not about how much money I make. It's about making sure we have a great team, making sure I'm surrounded by other players that can be re-signed,'" Irsay told NFL Network's Albert Breer. "The Pierre Garcons, the Austin Collies. The young guys that make the difference.

"The money's there," Irsay added. "I'm already offering more than any player's being paid in the league. So why wouldn't it get done?"
    Am I the only one who sees the contradiction in these two statements?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

I think he's basically saying "Peyton has always said it's not about the money....but the money is there anyway, so what's the problem?"

I'd probably be frustrated too if I were Ir$ay.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    No you aren't alone apparently he thinks that's all Manning wants and that will be enough.

I guess it doesn't dawn on the tool that maybe there are other factors he's considering you know like a decent O-Line, defense,....

A good Head Coach would be great as well.

You know all those things add up to in the words of Charlie Sheen "WINNING!"

It's going to be extremely depressing if we miss this season and Manning is 36 years old the next time he takes the field.......

Losing the Super Bowl against the Saints stings more and more as time goes on. I would feel so content if we had two rings right now. The one was obviously great, but most Colts fans feel we should have accomplished just a little more.....

Manning is getting old and last year's team sucked. Who knows if we'll ever have an opportunity again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    It's going to be extremely depressing if we miss this season and Manning is 36 years old the next time he takes the field.......

Losing the Super Bowl against the Saints stings more and more as time goes on. I would feel so content if we had two rings right now. The one was obviously great, but most Colts fans feel we should have accomplished just a little more.....

Manning is getting old and last year's team sucked. Who knows if we'll ever have an opportunity again.
    Peyton may have already peaked, but he's still good enough of a QB for us to have a puncher's chance to win it all for the next 4-6 years IF we build the right talent around him. Unfortunately, we've only done that for about half a season of the 14 some odd years he's been here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post

But that 36 year old Manning will have had almost two years off from taking a physical pounding. Imagine how rejuvenated his body will be.

Look at Grant Hill. He missed several seasons with bone spurs in an ankle but it is allowed him to play until the age of 40 at a high level because his legs are fresh and his joints were less worn down.

No you aren't alone apparently he thinks that's all Manning wants and that will be enough.

I guess it doesn't dawn on the tool that maybe there are other factors he's considering you know like a decent O-Line, defense,....

A good Head Coach would be great as well.
    That very well may be what is holding up the contract negotiations. I hope Manning is pressuring Irsay and Polian to upgrade the offensive line and defense in the offseason as a precondition to signing a new deal.

Unfortunately, this makes it seems it's only about the money... not about Manning wanting some promises to fix some weak spots with the team (such as run defense.... or some of the coaching).

I have my questions about Caldwell as much as anyone but I thought we were told Manning wanted Caldwell to follow Dungy. I suppose he could always have changed his mind...

But for Irsay to make the comments he's made it sounds like none of that is in play. Otherwise, Irsay would know what he needs to do to get Manning signed. ...Heh... unless he was supposed to figure it out for himself so Manning and his camp don't actually have to 'demand' those kind of changes and can keep his image clean. He can present the image that he doesn't believe he's bigger than the team and that he's a team player.... while Irsay has looks like the guy throwing some coaches and players under the bus because it's IRSAY wanting a better infrastructure around Manning for the stretch run of his career...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Unfortunately, this makes it seems it's only about the money... not about Manning wanting some promises to fix some weak spots with the team (such as run defense.... or some of the coaching).

I have my questions about Caldwell as much as anyone but I thought we were told Manning wanted Caldwell to follow Dungy. I suppose he could always have changed his mind...

But for Irsay to make the comments he's made it sounds like none of that is in play. Otherwise, Irsay would know what he needs to do to get Manning signed. ...Heh... unless he was supposed to figure it out for himself so Manning and his camp don't actually have to 'demand' those kind of changes and can keep his image clean. He can present the image that he doesn't believe he's bigger than the team and that he's a team player.... while Irsay has looks like the guy throwing some coaches and players under the bus because it's IRSAY wanting a better infrastructure around Manning for the stretch run of his career...

Where did you hear that? It was Dungy that wanted Deadeyes Caldwell to replace him yes of all the coaches we could've gotten to possibly replace him from his tree like Mike Tomlin and Leslie Frazier(who was actually here) we chose this chump?

I doubt Dungy would've retired if that wasn't promised and that has always bothered me because once Dungy leaves he has no say in the Colts future. The Colts should've gone elsewhere as far as getting another coach preferably someone with a different approach or personality it might actually get this team to achieve more in the postseason or something.

I'm sure Manning liked him as a QB coach but being a HC is another story and Caldwell doesn't fit that bill at all.

Where did you hear that?
    Just about anywhere in the media. I'm not saying Manning demanded Caldwell be the coach but the gist of the reporting was that he gladly signed off on Caldwell as Dungy's successor.

I've never seen anything in the media to even suggest he had concerns or was at all against the hiring of Caldwell.

And assuming that it is true Manning gladly signed off on Caldwell I could believe it was in part because he was the devil he knew and Manning knew he'd lose no power at all with Caldwell taking the reins. Maybe he never considered some of the bonehead calls Caldwell would be making as much as he considered how Caldwell would be perfectly in step with the big picture that Manning wanted.

I don't argue the point that Caldwell was a questionable hire for a team on the back end of their championship window. In fact, if I was in charge, even IF I thought he could do it based on things I'd seen that the general public isn't privy to, I still would not have been able to take the gamble on him. I'd worry too much about how he'd handling big game situations once the pressure was all on him.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Just about anywhere in the media. I'm not saying Manning demanded Caldwell be the coach but the gist of the reporting was that he gladly signed off on Caldwell as Dungy's successor.

I've never seen anything in the media to even suggest he had concerns or was at all against the hiring of Caldwell.

And assuming that it is true Manning gladly signed off on Caldwell I could believe it was in part because he was the devil he knew and Manning knew he'd lose no power at all with Caldwell taking the reins. Maybe he never considered some of the bonehead calls Caldwell would be making as much as he considered how Caldwell would be perfectly in step with the big picture that Manning wanted.

I don't argue the point that Caldwell was a questionable hire for a team on the back end of their championship window. In fact, if I was in charge, even IF I thought he could do it based on things I'd seen that the general public isn't privy to, I still would not have been able to take the gamble on him. I'd worry too much about how he'd handling big game situations once the pressure was all on him.

When you put it like that it makes sense but I really think it was more Dungy/Polian and for that I resent it because Dungy chose to retire from the Colts as far as I'm concerned once you leave you have no say in who is the next coach.

I mean the same with Manning if he's still with the Colts at the end I wouldn't want him to dictate who should succeed him when he's gone.