Thread: NBA - Salary Geographics

Default NBA - Salary Geographics

I'm only posting this because I had it typed up as a response at the time that the Chris Mullin GM rumor thread was closed and I think it's a relevant topic, but with a different angle.

One major factor that I think many people forget about when it comes to salaries in the NBA, because (I'm just assuming) none of us are millionaires (and we wrongly assume that cost of living is a non-factor to millionaires), is that geography does make a difference in their salaries, just like it would make a difference in any of ours.

11 million a year in San Francisco roughly equivalent to 4.3 million a year in Indianapolis (I'm just making a brash assumption that players would prefer to live across the water in SF or a similarly costly burb, rather than in Oakland where the Warriors are based...if not, more power to them). Even if you plug Carmel into the math (a suburban city equated with one of Indy's costlier areas), the salary equivalent is only 5.4 million a year.

Would any of you despise or ridicule Chris Mullin if he worked as Indy's GM, and at the time of the contract signing, signed Dunleavy for 4.3 - 5.4 million a year in Indy?

Personally, I don't think 4.3-5.4 is all that unreasonable for what Dunleavy was doing at the time, and is currently doing. It was a fairly competitive and reasonable salary based on the geographic. Danny's pulling in 2-3x that with a contract he signed in Indy and for a year or two, they had very similar roles and contributions.

Just an outside of the box thought on that instance...I'm sure there are plenty of others we could delve into
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Default Re: NBA - Salary Geographics

Cost of living doesn't matter to upper-echelon athletes because endorsements exist. In general, the higher the cost of living, the higher your marketability. All of the cities it's expensive to live in (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF) offer large fan-bases that advertisers would love to have access to.

When it comes to mid-level players? Sure, cost of living might make a small difference, but in most cases I would think the quality of a team would be more heavily considered.

I wouldn't pay Dunleavy 4-5 million. I don't mind his game, but we don't need him that much. Since we're not contending for a championship in the next 3 years, why waste his time or ours? We have wings. We could go into next year with DG/Paul/Brandon/Dahntay/Lance and be fine. And who knows what we'll do with our draft picks. I'd rather give the minutes to the youth and let Mike make a run with a contender.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cost of living doesn't matter to upper-echelon athletes because endorsements exist. In general, the higher the cost of living, the higher your marketability. All of the cities it's expensive to live in (NYC, LA, Chicago, SF) offer large fan-bases that advertisers would love to have access to.

When it comes to mid-level players? Sure, cost of living might make a small difference, but in most cases I would think the quality of a team would be more heavily considered.

I wouldn't pay Dunleavy 4-5 million. I don't mind his game, but we don't need him that much. Since we're not contending for a championship in the next 3 years, why waste his time or ours? We have wings. We could go into next year with DG/Paul/Brandon/Dahntay/Lance and be fine. And who knows what we'll do with our draft picks. I'd rather give the minutes to the youth and let Mike make a run with a contender.
    Endorsements are only a serious factor for the very elite athletes. Maybe only 15 guys in the entire league.

For everybody else, cost of living is a major consideration.

As for that idea that Dunleavy's contract was reasonable because the cost of living in the Bay Area is the highest in the nation...that's absurd.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

this is Dunleavy would have wanted more money thn 5m if we had been resiging him not GS a few years back. He would of still got 9m instead of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Endorsements are only a serious factor for the very elite athletes. Maybe only 15 guys in the entire league.

For everybody else, cost of living is a major consideration.

As for that idea that Dunleavy's contract was reasonable because the cost of living in the Bay Area is the highest in the nation...that's absurd.
    I think you would be surprised. While guys outside the top 25, 15 is way to small of number, may not get huge nation wide endorsements they are still able to get local endorsements. Many of the Colts players who aren't big names have had many different local endorsements. I don't know how much those pay, defiantly not millions, but I doubt they are cheap.