ATL gets:

Brandon Rush 1 yr, $3.0M
    2011 First Round Pick

IND gets:

Joe Johnson 5 yrs, $107.3M

Thoughts?

Mood

Default Re: ATL Trade

The entire reason they overpaid Joe Johnson is because ATL felt like they couldn't do better with their finances and that without Joe they weren't going to be 'good enough'. I see no way they trade him for something so cheap as this.

Sports Logo

Nah... It doesn't work.
    He's their franchise player, and they over-value him.
    And honestly? I have mixed feelings about this... The guy is 30 in a few months... He's a good player, really good, but I think he's as good as Granger and gets paid like Kobe... for a long time.
    By the way, 30 isn't fossil, but his production will go down as his salary goes up.
    I don't know. Mixed feelings, and Atlanta won't do this anyway

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even though we need another star player next to Granger, Joe Johnson is not the man for us. He is an over-payed, over-valued who would take the Pacers in the wrong direction. The Hawks would never do this anyways if they only got Rush out of this deal and a mid-round draft pick.

MarvelousMarvin

Neither team does this.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelousMarvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither team does this.
    What? I think Indiana drives Rush to the air port in this scenario.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What? I think Indiana drives Rush to the air port in this scenario.
    lmao

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't believe nobody would bat an eye at taking on $100+M.

I think this is an extreme trade scenario, but I was more interested in people's reactions.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Wouldn't do this.

100+ mil for 18ppg 4reb 5ast .445 FG% .303 3p% ? And he's (about to be) 30 years old? Too high of a price. I'd love to have JJ on a cheaper contract, but 20 mil/year is too much. We'd be better off getting two 10/mil year players.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

I'd find another trade partner (or go after someone else on Atlanta's roster). This may sound terrible on my part but I hope Atlanta remains stuck with that contract for as long as it lasts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joe Johnson is nearing the worst contract in the league and he signed it only 75 games ago. It sounds weird to even say this but if Atlanta offered this I'd tell them to get serious.

As good as Joe CAN BE, this deal makes us better only next year. After that his game is going to fall off a cliff, and he'll STILL be owed $80M. I'm all for taking advantage of our cap space, but I wouldn't touch JJ. I'd ask them what I'd have to do to get my hands on Josh Smith. I wonder if Roy would get the deal done?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I don't think the Hawks consider Joe Johnson their franchise player anymore. I think both Horford and Smith are clearly better now. IMO if Pacers offer this, Hawks would do it in a heartbeat. JJ is vastly overpaid and not nearly as important as the other 2. This clears up their financial difficulties and offers a clear path to future improvements.

Conversely, I don't see the Pacers wanting to be saddled with Johnson's contract. I think we could get 2-3 good players for the amount we're going to spend on JJ. And that's ignoring the first rounder and Rush - though honestly I don't think Rush has a lot of value right now.

Indiana Gets:
    Joe Johnson
    Al Horford

Atlanta Gets:
    Tyler Hansbrough
    Brandon Rush
    James Posey
    1 or 2 first round picks
    (maybe PG)

We can give them assets or whatever it takes, while not giving them something too valuable (ie Granger or George) because Johnson's contract is so bad. It blows up to $25mil in 2014. That might be half the cap that year. We should be compensated for taking on that contract that could cripple a franchise. We get Horford or Smith and hope Joe Johnson still keeps ballin.

Atlanta will get good cheap talent with plenty of potential AND get huge cap savings. Their payroll will drop to $35mil- which is what we will have at the beginning of the summer. We are all saying how much space we have and they will be in an envious spot.

Atlanta:
    1: Hinrich / Teague
    2: BRush (maybe PG)
    3: Marvin Williams
    4: Josh Smith / Hansbrough
    5: ??

They could use their 1st round picks and cap space to get a center and upgrade their point guard. Maybe they could somehow get Kaman from LA with the draft picks if we do a 3-way trade.

We would basically swap salary positions and have $50 mil tied up with JJ+Horford+Granger. I think that is a formidable trio in this league that could basically equal Atlanta's success. The beauty of this trade is that we have the roster to make it work.

No one knows what the new cap will look like but considering almost every team has more than $50mil right now, I think they will have a provision where teams can still resign their own players by paying them above $50mil for the next couple of seasons until they 'phase out' old contracts. We can then still sign Hibbert, Collison, and McRoberts (hopefully this summer) to post-CBA smaller contracts and be within whatever cap limits there will be.

This is much better than Atlanta's roster could have been with such a big contract.

1: Collison / Price
    2: Johnson / George
    3: Granger / Jones
    4: Horford / McRoberts
    5: Hibbert / Stanko??

To me this would be the best way to approach the summer and resist free agency.
    This might seem overly optimistic but I think such a horrible contract is going to seem like a cancer in the new cba. This trade should help both teams going forward. We upgrade our 2 and 4 instantly.

And maybe throw in PG if you have to make it work.

oh and GO PACERS