Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JaJuan Johnson's Future

Default JaJuan Johnson's Future

I've been watching this kid play for four years at Purdue like a lot of you have and he has made considerable gains to his body, footwork, and post moves every single year and yet I see this guy going in the late first round in a lot of mock drafts. I think he would be perfect for us. He would need a few years to develop and then he could fill in Foster/McRoberts when they retire/leave.

Also, I've been lurking on these forums for about a year now and wanted to finally make a post. Thanks everyone.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: JaJuan Johnson's Future

He's a Marcus Camby clone. A solid pick somewhere just outside the top-10.

I don't think he needs to develop anymore. I think he's maxed out what he has.

so much depends on his actual size. he appears to be undersized by NBA standards. if that is not the case, then he has a chance to be a good player.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Maxed out? his offensive game is nice don't get me wrong but until he adds strength, especially lower body strength he hasn't maxed out anything.

He needs to work on his man defense, his zone defense is pretty good though but I think he will get ate up especially against some stretch 4's...

But the guy is good and can contribute on a NBA team.

By maxing out, I'm saying I don't think he's capable of bringing more to the table than he does now. There's not much left to develop. The strengths and weaknesses are going to be there for the long run.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I posted some stuff in another thread about JJ and got heckled and I guess didn't learn from it.

I say JJ can be a great NBA player if on the right team. I think he could be a 3/4 that can work the post rather then trying to be this 4/5 with weight issues. He has the shooting skills to be on the perimeter and his foot work is good and he can continue to work on it at the pro level. As far as his defense, he does great, He cannot defend to tight for Purdue because they have no backup. He's to valuable to the team. He actually played tighter D as a Soph. but Purdue had other options then.

After a year in the NBA with the right team, I'll say this: If, he played against Granger at the 3 he would do fine on defense and would exploit Granger on offense. I am sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilk39 View Post
    I've been watching this kid play for four years at Purdue like a lot of you have and he has made considerable gains to his body, footwork, and post moves every single year and yet I see this guy going in the late first round in a lot of mock drafts. I think he would be perfect for us. He would need a few years to develop and then he could fill in Foster/McRoberts when they retire/leave.

Also, I've been lurking on these forums for about a year now and wanted to finally make a post. Thanks everyone.
    Well lurk no more....

JJ seems to me like he has a game that translates to the NBA. Personally I don't know why people think he is a late first round pick because he easily has the stats and abilities to put himself in the mid first round IMO.

What impresses me most about him is that he is able to hit 15-18 foot jump shots over defenders on pull ups or off his dribble. I have seen him defended really well and was still able to hit his shot. Athletically he is so so but at 6'10 I don't think he will a liability at all.

He still needs to add some weight but I think he would be a steal in the late 1st round. He is the type of guy though who is going to jump up in the draft boards as workouts begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I say JJ can be a great NBA player if on the right team. I think he could be a 3/4 that can work the post rather then trying to be this 4/5 with weight issues..
    I think JJ can only play the 4 in the NBA. Laterally IMO he is too slow to guard almost all 3's in the nba and he doesn't have the frame to put on enough weight to be a 5.

Personally I don't care if he is a strictly considered a 4 because he is pretty well polished for the NBA.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 03-20-2011 at 02:59 PM.

He's a journeyman-caliber backup at the NBA level.

As for the Camby comparison, I don't see it. Camby is 7-0 and plays
    even bigger. JJ will never be close to the defensive factor that Camby
    has been in his NBA career.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jackson shimmy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post

plus JJ doesn't look like he's anywhere close to 7 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post

I think he could be better offensively than Camby but defiantly he won't be comparable defensively.

If JJ reaches his Max potential then I think the best comparison I could come up with is Rashard Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post

I usually respect your opinion but this is all sorts of wrong. Johnson is nowhere near the shot-blocking/rebounding ability of Camby.

i wouldn't mind johnson at all with our first round pick. unless someone slips, i wouldn't mind fredette, johnson, singler, or singleton at that spot. all should be contributors for a long time in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    I usually respect your opinion but this is all sorts of wrong. Johnson is nowhere near the shot-blocking/rebounding ability of Camby.
    I think he meant physically he is a clone of Camby.........at least I think that's what he meant.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

If he was still around in the second I wouldn't mind trading up to get him, but where we will be drafting I find it hard to believe he would be the best selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If he was still around in the second I wouldn't mind trading up to get him, but where we will be drafting I find it hard to believe he would be the best selection.
    I am not so sure. For me it all depends on what we do in free agent market. If we sign a starting sg then I wouldn't mind drafting a pf and before anyone says that we should draft the best player available I can make a convincing argument that JJ could be the BPA at our pick. He may not have the upside of some players but he is more polished than most players that we could pick.

His senior college stats are very similar to Tylers and we all see how well that is working out for us plus he ranks 17th in the nation in blocks.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 03-20-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Besides their build, I don't think JJ and Camby have much in common. Camby is a defensive force, but outside of a midrange jumper, I think JJ brings a lot more offensively with his ability to score both inside and outside.

Banned

JaJuan Johnson's future? In front of his TV, watching the Sweet 16.

JJ will be a solid NBA player for years. I think he is better than DJ White and he is still in the league. So is Jared Jeffries who I think JJ is much better than.

Will he be a star? Probably not. Could he start in the future? Think it is possible. I would bet that he will be a solid rotation guy for the next 10 years. Long arms, offense will improve like it does for all prospects who work at it. And JJ is a good kid who works hard - he got better every years. If he is available at 17 he would be a solid pick for the Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    That's mean (but true)!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    I posted some stuff in another thread about JJ and got heckled and I guess didn't learn from it.

I say JJ can be a great NBA player if on the right team. I think he could be a 3/4 that can work the post rather then trying to be this 4/5 with weight issues. He has the shooting skills to be on the perimeter and his foot work is good and he can continue to work on it at the pro level. As far as his defense, he does great, He cannot defend to tight for Purdue because they have no backup. He's to valuable to the team. He actually played tighter D as a Soph. but Purdue had other options then.

After a year in the NBA with the right team, I'll say this: If, he played against Granger at the 3 he would do fine on defense and would exploit Granger on offense. I am sure of it.
    And when you wrote this I responded by saying that he doesn't have the lateral quickness to play the 3.

Just something to add to this I'm so disappointed with Purdue right now their defense tonight was horrible... Johnson seemed lost on d and out of position way too often... I just hope that our young players develop and we have a decent team next year...

Also would like to thank Johnson and Moore for the last four years glad that you were boilermakers... too bad hummel wasn't healthy this year...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    i wouldn't mind johnson at all with our first round pick. unless someone slips, i wouldn't mind fredette, johnson, singler, or singleton at that spot. all should be contributors for a long time in the league.

I would add in Nolan Smith, Brandon Knight and Kenneth Faried.

Singler and/or Singleton to me would be Dunleavy lite. Just resign Dunleavy for a good price and forget Singler and the developement time.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Add Morris twins!!( Remind me 2 Davis )

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    I think he was doing this during the VCU game

He had to develope a face and drive move, when he gets on the block. His fade away 15-18 footer is slow and predictable. Anyone in the nba that wants to defend it perfectly, need only to watch film of Delvon Roe from mich. St defend it. He simply stepped in to his chest and blocked it.

He also either needs to put on about 25 pounds of muscle or develope a quicker step and release. He's way to much of a tweener. He doesn't rebound nearly enough at pf and can't get to the basket off the dribble well enough to be a sf.

I'm a huge boiler fan, but honestly, I think JJ will be a 2nd rounder and see some significant D-league time.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I think he was doing this during the VCU game
    what does this mean?