Default Re: It returns: Anthem's "Annual" Magic Number Thread

To Eliminate/Hold Off the Pacers
    Pacers can still win 39 games.

*2 - New York (38 wins) still playing

8 - Charlotte
    9 - Millwaukee

Draft position "race"
    Pacers can lose 47 max
    Pacers can finish no higher than 8th in the lottery.
    Locked "ahead" of Pacers
    Cavs
    Minny
    Kings
    Wiz
    Raptors
    Nets
    Pistons

(Pacers win or opponent loss reduces this number)
    *1 - Clips - still playing
    2 - Fawns *1 game due to tiebreak
    3 - Kitties *actually 2 games for playoff elimination due to tiebreak
    *4 - Warriors - still playing

BTW, by making the playoffs the Pacers will not only move behind the team's listed here in the "lottery" magic numbers, but also the not mentioned Rockets, Suns and Jazz.

So by not losing out to Charlotte the Pacers go from drafting maybe 10th (say they do worse than Warriors) to drafting 15th.

It would look something like...

8 Clips
    9 Bucks
    10 Pacers
    11 Warriors
    12 Jazz
    13 Suns
    14 Rockets
    15 Bobcats

Are those 5 players worth a massive crash to end the season and miss the playoffs in this draft year? It's probably costing them a Morris brother, Jimmer, Kemba...

Faried, Thompkins, maybe T Jones still on the board. Skeen might be on the board for the round 2 pick. You can get some PF help or go for the talent of Jones at SF.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

As everyone said, it's basically tomorrow night if the Magic and Pacers both win. Maybe the TPTB should drag their heels on the tipoff time, postpone it by 15 minutes so that the end of the Pacers game might actually be for the clinch with the fans in the house at the time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

This could possibly be my favorite thread of the year! Or many years!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Charlotte lost to Cleveland and Milwaukee lost to the Magic.
    Fixed. Actually, Milwaukee hasn't lost to the Nets once.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Fixed. Actually, Milwaukee hasn't lost to the Nets once.

Ouch. Misread the scoreboard... that was Minnesota.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Okay....I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this Magic # stuff....are we looking at the following scenarios?

1 more Pacer win

or

1 more Bobcats loss

or

1 more Bucks loss

and we are officially in?

One thing I do like is that it appears that we finally won it on our own terms and didn't "back into the Playoffs".
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-05-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

If the Pacers win any 2 of the remaining 4 they are in regardless of what anyone else does.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Okay....I'm pretty stupid when it comes to this Magic # stuff....are we looking at the following scenarios?

1 more Pacer win

or

1 more Bobcats loss

or

1 more Bucks loss

and we are officially in?

One thing I do like is that it appears that we finally won it on our own terms and didn't "back into the Playoffs".
    I'm wondering the same thing.

I think (I could be wrong) that if we win tomorrow night and Orlando beats Charlotte, that we clinch the playoffs (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Playoffs are back in Indy!

Yes we suck and pretty much aren't a playoff team, but we're in it!
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Playoffs are back in Indy!

Yes we suck and we are absolutely, in no way, not even remotely close to being a playoff team, but we're in it!
    Fixed
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Mood

I'm glad we're finally back in, even if it isn't in an ideal way. Let's hope to God it's a stepping stone.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Magic Number means any combination of Pacers wins and other team's losses totaling X will get us ahead of that team.

Magic # for Milwaukee is 1, so one Pacer win or Buck loss locks us above them. The magic # for Charlotte is 2, so two Pacer wins, a Pacer win and a Charlotte loss, or two Charlotte losses will put us into the playoffs.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This is the best case scenario for the Pacers this season......we make the Playoffs and we get the best possible draft pick that anyone in the Playoffs that we can get....the 15th pick in the draft.

IMHO....the second we make the Playoffs, I really hope that Vogel does the following:

1 ) ( UB mentioned this ) Establish set rotations in the Starting lineup and the 2nd unit as to how we will play the Bulls.....just like the way that he did it when he started coaching the Team.
    2 ) Play the 2nd unit as many minutes as possible...even if it means losing the game.

#1 gives us the best chance to improve our chemistry among the 1st and 2nd unit so that they can get use to each other.
    #2 gives the 2nd unit some more burn while giving the Starting lineup some rest.

I know that we don't have much of a chance to win the series...but 1 or 2 games would go a long way. We'll have only a few games to get ourselves in order before the big show starts.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Charlotte lost to Cleveland and Milwaukee lost to the Nets. That's got "quit" written all over it.

Indy - X (4 games remaining)
    Charlotte - 2 (5 games remaining)
    Milwaukee - 1 (5 games remaining)

It's not official yet, but at this point it's a done deal. We're in the playoffs.
    I'm getting excited, but I'm not counting this team in, until it's in.

The way this team is, it wouldn't surprise me if we lost 4 in a row and still made it in, then upset Chicago in the first round.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm tired of talking about draft choices. We get the 15th or 30th pick it doesn't matter. The draft this year is far from good. You could easily get the same production from a 2nd round pick as top 10 first round pick. So, let's just focus on the playoffs and making a run. Then in the offseason do some wheelin and dealin. Erhm! Erhm! (whispers) Josh Smith

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    I'm tired of talking about draft choices. We get the 15th or 30th pick it doesn't matter. The draft this year is far from good. You could easily get the same production from a 2nd round pick as top 10 first round pick. So, let's just focus on the playoffs and making a run. Then in the offseason do some wheelin and dealin. Erhm! Erhm! (whispers) Josh Smith
    I think that IF the FO does their homework ( much like they have done under Bird ), there is a very good chance that we can pick up a solid rotational Player at worst at the 15th spot.

Think along the lines of a BRush / Foster type Player....a solid Backup Player that can be a decent Starter. Keep in mind that beyond a need to upgrade at the Starting SG, PF and ( possibly ) PG spots ( which I think we will upgrade via FA/Trade )....we still need to fill some vacancies in the Backup Frontcourt positions along with possibly getting another PG ( depending on what they think of AJ and/or Lance ).

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I think if we can trade away our draft pick this year and get OJ Mayo.Then do some trade for Josh Smith where they're just looking to shed some salary i'd be very happy but it's likely that if that's all they're looking to get for Josh Smith there will be lots of other people in competition for that situation. A guy can dream though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I think that IF the FO does their homework ( much like they have done under Bird ), there is a very good chance that we can pick up a solid rotational Player at worst at the 15th spot.
    All true. The problem is that we have plenty of third-string talent and not enough first-string talent.

I like the idea of trading the pick, personally.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Magic Number thread is dead, long live the Magic Number thread.

See you guys next year. Try the veal, tip your waitress.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

All true. The problem is that we have plenty of third-string talent and not enough first-string talent.

I like the idea of trading the pick, personally.
    If that pick has more value than a Happy Meal I'd be surprised. The draft depth doesn't appear to be there and the chances of hitting for a quality add-on at that point year seems to be very low.

The Pacers don't need it, sure, but I'm not sure what they can get for it either. The time to get any value from that pick appears to be past.

BTW, every year it seems like people misunderstand the draft position magic number - I'm 100% anti-tank, anti-"high pick is the only way to turn around". I don't believe it and I think it's a fool's errand to go chasing it.

It's just a way of tracking how the Pacers are heading down the stretch relative to other teams, and kind of a way to crap on some of the "tankers" as the positions fall away.

Playoffs baby. Do you realize how long it's been since the Pacers went through a playoff drought this long?

Since making the playoffs in 1987 at the end of the 86-87 season, with Rookie of the Year Chuck Person and Jack Ramsey leading the way out of a 5 year drought, the Pacers only missed the playoffs 3 times in the next 19 seasons.

There are literally tons of active, beer drinking Pacers fans who have NEVER seen the team out of the playoffs for a stretch this long.

This makes only the 3rd time the team has been out of the playoffs for 4 or 5 seasons in a row. The 3rd time was just before McKinney got them in, and that was coming off of the first 4 NBA seasons in the Pacers history, all 4 coached by Slick.

They never missed the playoffs in their 9 ABA seasons.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-06-2011 at 11:03 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    There are literally tons of active, beer drinking Pacers fans who have NEVER seen the team out of the playoffs for a stretch this long.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Playoffs baby. Do you realize how long it's been since the Pacers went through a playoff drought this long?

Since making the playoffs in 1987 at the end of the 86-87 season, with Rookie of the Year Chuck Person and Jack Ramsey leading the way out of a 5 year drought, the Pacers only missed the playoffs 3 times in the next 19 seasons.
    As I said in another post, I was at the only home playoff win in those 1987 playoffs. I was a kid, and that game experience set the stage for why I became a crazy Pacers fan by the team Reggie was dropping 3s in Madison Square Garden during the next decade.

In that Game 3 in 1987, I will never forget thinking Dominique Wilkins was the most athletic person I had ever seen, and how invincible he seemed. But Chuck Person and the Blue and Gold came to play, and the fans screamed our heads off. It was only one win, but it was a big win for the City and the Franchise.

This year, if you live in Indiana and have children, particularly kids who don't remember the Pacers in the playoffs. Take them. Go to the game. Upper level seats are within most price ranges. Let them taste the atmosphere of a meaningful game. Let them see the best players shine. It will stick for a lifetime.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post: