Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It returns: Anthem's "Annual" Magic Number Thread

Default Re: It returns: Anthem's "Annual" Magic Number Thread

We lost, but so did Charlotte.

Indy - X (4 games remaining)
    Charlotte - 3 (6 games remaining)
    Milwaukee - 2 (6 games remaining)

We need to take care of business in the next few games and we'll be all right.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I've thought for over a week now that the Bobcats were being held together with duct tape, that they were winning with sheer will, but that can only last so long and losing to the Wizards at home would appear to me a sign that they cannot keep winning.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

We can go 1-3 and Charlotte can go 4-2 and we'll still make the playoffs. I feel pretty decent about that, especially considering we're off until Wednesday. This is the most practice time we've had since the coaching change.

We have a chance to clinch it Wednesday night if Charlotte loses in Cleveland on Wednesday. They play Orlando on Wednesday and we play Washington.

Yeah, Washington is now 3-35 on the road. Charlotte could be done.
    Last edited by imawhat; 04-04-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We can go 1-3 and Charlotte can go 4-2 and we'll still make the playoffs. I feel pretty decent about that, especially considering we're off until Wednesday. This is the most practice time we've had since the coaching change.

We have a chance to clinch it Wednesday night if Charlotte loses in Cleveland on Tuesday. They play Orlando on Wednesday and we play Washington.
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've thought for over a week now that the Bobcats were being held together with duct tape, that they were winning with sheer will. . .
    Captain Jack's influence!
    Last edited by Will Galen; 04-04-2011 at 04:30 AM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Captain Jack's influence!
    NY and MIL he plays 29 and 34 (injured) and they win. CLE he gives them 15 and they win.
    He sits with the hammy the last 2 games vs ORL and WSH and they lose.

One reason why I hated how much fans hated him as a person.

Chuck prone ref whiner? 100%

Brings it every night and actually gives a s*** that he's on the court? Definitely

He's been on 4 playoff teams, 3 of which were surprises that seemed to be partially driven by his presence, and Kerr said on the Simmons podcast that Jack was a major factor for that Spurs team as well.

Contrast that with Dunleavy not seeing the playoffs till this season which featured him missing tons of games and having a reduced role. For all his smart play vs how Jack is viewed, it's not like Dun tends to carry a better 3pt shot most years nor is he as good a defender.

If only we could go back and just make the deal Al/Diogu for Dun...that trade might have got the team somewhere. And you could have always let Jack walk as a FA after another year without Troy's deal coming back.

Sorry, but some wounds last a long time. That deal crippled the team for half a decade. Not exactly a "whoops".

Frankly I think this team could use a dose of Jack in the locker room. Seems like DJones is the closest thing we have to that right now.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-04-2011 at 01:29 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've thought for over a week now that the Bobcats were being held together with duct tape, that they were winning with sheer will, but that can only last so long and losing to the Wizards at home would appear to me a sign that they cannot keep winning.
    Pacers: 35-43 w/4 games remaining. Best record: 39-43

Bobcats: 32-44 w/6 games remaining. Best record: 38-44

Bucks: 31-45 2/6 games remaining. Best record: 37-45

A win by the Pacers, a loss by the Bucks and two losses by th Bobcats puts the Pacers in the playoffs.
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 04-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Pacers: 35-43 w/4 games remaining. Best record: 40-43

35+4=40?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sorry about that.

I changed the number of games remaining from 5 to 4 but forgot to change the math at the end for best record attainable. My bad.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    Sorry about that.

I changed the number of games remaining from 5 to 4 but forgot to change the math at the end for best record attainable. My bad.
    It's all good. I knew what you meant. I got a good laugh out of that because I had to read it a couple of times before I realized what was wrong.

Regarding the Pacers Magic number...

If Milwaukee loses in Orlando tonight and the Pacers win tomorrow against the Wizards, the Bucks will be eliminated. If Milwaukee manages to win, they are still eliminated with a loss tomorrow night against the Heat in Miami combined with a Pacers win.

The Bobcats play the Cavs in Cleveland tonight without Stephen Jackson. A loss there coupled with a Pacers win tomorrow reduces the Pacers magic number to 2 with 3 games remaining.

Tomorrow's game against the Wizards is a must win game for the Pacers because it's the easiest one they have the rest of the way and because of the damage it does to Charlotte and Milwaukee's playoff hopes.

Even if the Pacers lose each of their 4 last games of the season, they could make the playoffs as long as Milwaukee loses 2 of their remaining 6 games and Charlotte loses 3 of their remaining 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Every win of the Pacers and loss of the Bobcats and Bucks become really critical at this stage of the season. Hopefully they can manage at least 3 games to be sure should the two chasing teams get crazy, unexpected wins (Bobcats has been a bizzaro lately as they are getting some win streaks when everyone thought they're giving up already).

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    The Bobcats play the Cavs in Cleveland tonight without Stephen Jackson. A loss there coupled with a Pacers win tomorrow reduces the Pacers magic number to 2 with 3 games remaining.
    Doesn't that reduce it to 1?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Even if the Pacers lose each of their 4 last games of the season, they could make the playoffs as long as Milwaukee loses 2 of their remaining 6 games and Charlotte loses 3 of their remaining 6.
    Keep this information to yourself!

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I lurk on here a lot and don't usually chime in but... don't we own the tie breaker against both of them? If so, we can go 0-4 and CHA would still have to go 4-2 and/or MIL would have to go 5-1 to overtake us. Even if we only win 1 more, CHA must then go 5-1 and MIL 6-0.
    A healthy man takes a crap every day. A smart man does it on company time.

Cavs off to a good start against the Bobcats. Let's hope the game continues this way

Awesome.

Also, just read that 6 Wizards will miss tomorrow night's game, including Nick Young, Rashard Lewis and Josh Howard. That's good news for the Pacers, along with Washington's 3-35 road record.

We could clinch tomorrow night.

Bobcats gonna lose vs Cleveland LOOOOL

Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Awesome.

Also, just read that 6 Wizards will miss tomorrow night's game, including Nick Young, Rashard Lewis and Josh Howard. That's good news for the Pacers, along with Washington's 3-35 road record.

We could clinch tomorrow night.
    Those guys didn't play on Sunday when they won in Charlotte. We need to take this game seriously, cause it's the last losing team we play.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Charlotte has came back a bit in the Cavs game. Cavs still lead, but no longer by double digits.

Definitely have to take the Wiz seriously. Can't lose a winnable game at the end of the season to a beat up team you're suppose to beat

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Keep this information to yourself!

Dude, it's a MAGIC NUMBER thread. You want him to use the spoiler tag?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

With the cavs victory we can clinch tomorrow now can't we? That would be very very very exciting.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Dude, it's a MAGIC NUMBER thread. You want him to use the spoiler tag?
    I was going to say, I thought Anthem and I had pretty much covered all the variations on the actual math. To clinch, to be eliminated from higher seeds, to be eliminated from higher lottery positions, to be eliminated by the Tribe, to be fired by Trump...

I thought the discussion was more about likely outcomes and timing of clinches, etc.

This just in, if the Warriors lose a few more games they will be locked into a higher lottery position than the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    With the cavs victory we can clinch tomorrow now can't we? That would be very very very exciting.
    we can clinch if the Bobcats lose to Orlando, I think.

Charlotte lost to Cleveland and Milwaukee lost to the Nets. That's got "quit" written all over it.

Indy - X (4 games remaining)
    Charlotte - 2 (5 games remaining)
    Milwaukee - 1 (5 games remaining)

It's not official yet, but at this point it's a done deal. We're in the playoffs.

Enjoy your time at PD!

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Banned

The magic number's down to one for Milwaukee (one more Pacer win or one more Milwaukee loss) and two for Charlotte.

We play Washington tomorrow and Charlotte plays Orlando. If we win and they lose, we clinch a playoff berth. Milwaukee also plays the Miami tomorrow, so even if we do lose to the Wiz, if the Heat beat the Bucks, they're officially eliminated.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

#BI-WINNING!

WE MADE IT!!! IT'S BEEN SO LONG, BUT I FEEL SO RELIEVED!!! I FEEL LIKE I HAVEN'T WASTED A YEAR WATCHING THIS TEAM LIKE IN THE PAST!!!

It's been five tough years, but God dammit we're back. The best thing, by far, is that it's the young guys that got us here, and they're only going to get better.