Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The rest of the schedule

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The rest of the schedule

This next short stretch is maybe the most important of the season. The pacers are inconsistant, we all know this, so i'm going to refrain from predicting the specific wins and losses the rest of the season and simply guess that we finish 8-4.

Yes I realize that that is optimistic, but i'm high on the direction the team is going in sans the memphis game, which imo was as much of a schedule loss as any game has been this year.

I do think that we'll beat Charlotte win we play though, they have no answer for roy, and tyler can eat diaw (Ty Thom isn't back yet correct?)

The milwaukee game is tougher though, as they are a much better team than charlotte, are getting healthy, and have a little voice constantly buzzing in their head named scott skiles, who won't accept anything less than top effort.

However even if we lose the milwaukee game 8-4 should get us comfortably into the playoffs with a record of 38-44.

This team is going to give me a coronary though, it's possible we destroy boston, atlanta and orlando while losing to sacto and washington.

Just let the difference between 38-44 playing such an inexperienced lineup, with their best years ahead of them, and the same record achieved on the backs of Posey and Dunleavy. It feels really, really good, and if we make the playoffs I think that the fans can get behind the team and be the jumping off point for sustained attendance progress next year. (that is provided we don't play the bulls and our fans can't get tickets because half the place drove down from chicago)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I'm worried about the implications that that in the playoffs vs. not in the playoffs might have with the future of the franchise. I'm also worried about making some bad decisions with our cap space and using it just to use it to appease fans. If we can get only one solid guy in here this summer than so be it, keep the remaining cap space we have to be able to facilitate trades and just pick and choose our places would be wise. I just don't want us to end up like Detroit and bring in Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva for some ridiculous contract just to use our cap space up.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm worried about the implications that that in the playoffs vs. not in the playoffs might have with the future of the franchise. I'm also worried about making some bad decisions with our cap space and using it just to use it to appease fans. If we can get only one solid guy in here this summer than so be it, keep the remaining cap space we have to be able to facilitate trades and just pick and choose our places would be wise. I just don't want us to end up like Detroit and bring in Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva for some ridiculous contract just to use our cap space up.
    If Bird is still around then I think this is the least of our worries. The man is obsessed with coming out comfortably ahead valuewise in trades, perhaps passing up good deals occasionally to bank on a great one.

His tendency is definitally to be conservative unless the deal is a knockout.

However if we were to sign someone like Randolph I don't think it would fall into the impulse signing category, guy is balling on a winning team.

Milwaukee game will be a playoff game! Great experience for them!

Favorable schedule or not I do think we r good enough to get in but just doesn't seem like it's meant to be chances r bucks get 8spot just like all the analyst seem to know about 30 games in just seems odd how they seem to know every year just a opinion hope I'm wrong

Favorable schedule or not chances r we won't make I do however think we should be in just seems like 30 games in everyone knew it was gonna be the bucks including all the so called analyst and experts just seems odd they seem to know who's gonna make a Playoff run and who's not but yet they know nothing else outside of about 6or8 teams just a opinion I beg that I'm wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    I think we need to go at least 6-7.
    Agreed...7 wins minimum the rest of the way (not including the disasterous game against the Grizzlies!! That was ugly!!) especially against both the Bobcats and the Bucks.

I think if the Pacers can go 7-5, the rest of the way they'll make the playoffs.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by granger4mvp View Post
    Favorable schedule or not I do think we r good enough to get in but just doesn't seem like it's meant to be chances r bucks get 8spot just like all the analyst seem to know about 30 games in just seems odd how they seem to know every year just a opinion hope I'm wrong

? The bucks being predicted to make the playoffs at that point was based on precedent from last year. People assumed the bucks would regain form enough to squeeze in, and actually for most of the season analysts have had us in either the 6, 7 or 8 spot.

We have the lead, it's up to us to protect it.

Also if there IS a conspiracy to control the outcomes of games (there isn't) it would certainly not be concerned with whether the Milwaukee Bucks or the Indiana Pacers squeeze into the eighth spot of the eastern conference playoffs.

I do respect your thoughts on this but I can't help to think this way maybe I'm overlooking this but just seems funny And by the way I do disagree with outcomes is Boston ,chicacgo games just a little to one sided
    Last edited by granger4mvp; 03-21-2011 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Identical records yes, but we have the tie breaker with the Bobcats, so they have to win one more game than we do. They could beat us and if both teams won their remaining games they still finish behind us. As for the Bucks they are only one game behind us in the loss column. That means they, like us are in charge of our own destiny.

In other words, as of right now, if the Bucks beat us, they will be tied with us and they will have the #1 tiebreaker below. If we beat them, then the tie breaker goes to #2 below.

a. Two Teams Tied
    (1) Better winning percentage in games against each other.
    (2) Better winning percentage against teams in own division (only if tied teams are in same division). We are 7-6, Milwaukee is 5-7.
    (3) Better winning percentage against teams in own conference.
    (4) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in own conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
    (5) Better winning percentage against teams eligible for playoffs in opposite conference (including teams that finished the regular season tied for a playoff position).
    (6) Better net result of total points scored less total points allowed against all opponents (“point differential”).

As of right now, we have to beat the Bucks. We still have six games to play before we play them though. Things could change for the better or worse.
    I just want to point out that this forum is 100% more valuable in terms of thoughtful insight and information than anything else offered out there from a commercially-paid writer. I really appreciate this group. Great post - helpful.

Guys like Kravitz reference tie-breakers as being something too complicated to waste time in print.

Here's our power rankings from stein and hollinger from the week

Stein: (18)

18 (23)Pacers30-40Retraction: Hansbrough is saving Indy's season with a March you can put up there with anything he did as a Tar Heel: 19.7 ppg and 7.7 rpg. Larry Legend was right: The kid should have been playin' all along.

Hollinger has us at (20)

Anyone think we have a shot at overtaking the Knicks? they're only what 5 games ahead of us? With losing to the likes of the Pistons and Bucks and looking at the remaining part of their schedule they play Boston twice Orlando twice the Bulls and us who have proven we can beat them. I realize we'd have to go on quite a tear ourselves but if they can't stop the bleeding it's not too much to ask that maybe the Bucks Bobcats and Sixers beat them as well. That would be a devastating collapse for that team after having such high aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    Anyone think we have a shot at overtaking the Knicks? they're only what 5 games ahead of us? With losing to the likes of the Pistons and Bucks and looking at the remaining part of their schedule they play Boston twice Orlando twice the Bulls and us who have proven we can beat them. I realize we'd have to go on quite a tear ourselves but if they can't stop the bleeding it's not too much to ask that maybe the Bucks Bobcats and Sixers beat them as well. That would be a devastating collapse for that team after having such high aspirations.

Knicks are not very good right now. But 5 games at this point in the season is a ton.

If the pacers go 8-4 (which isn't likely) the Knicks would have to go 3-9 and then we would be tied.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Knicks are not very good right now. But 5 games at this point in the season is a ton.

If the pacers go 8-4 (which isn't likely) the Knicks would have to go 3-9 and then we would be tied.
    I'm going to cheer for that situation then, I don't want anybody to say we just limped into the playoffs. Here's too a strong finish down the home stretch

Sports Logo

Here's a day by day breakdown of the schedule for the remaining season:

Mon, Mar 21 - Indiana @ New Jersey
    Mon, Mar 21 - Charlotte - IDLE
    Wed, Mar 23 - Milwaukee - IDLE

Wed, Mar 23 - Indiana @ Charlotte ***key game***
    Wed, Mar 23 -Charlotte vs Indiana ***key game***
    Wed, Mar 23 - Milwaukee vs Sacramento

Fri, Mar 25 - Indiana vs Sacramento
    Fri, Mar 25 - Charlotte @ Boston
    Fri, Mar 25 - Milwaukee @ NY Knicks

Sat, Mar 26 - Indiana @ Detroit
    Sat, Mar 26 - Charlotte vs NY Knicks
    Sat, Mar 26 - Milwaukee vs Chicago

Mon, Mar 28 - Indiana vs Boston
    Mon, Mar 28 - Charlotte vs Milwaukee ***key game***
    Mon, Mar 28 - Milwaukee @ Charlotte ***key game***

Wed, Mar 30 - Indiana vs Detroit
    Wed, Mar 30 - Charlotte vs Cleveland
    Wed, Mar 30 - Milwaukee @ Toronto

Fri, Apr 1 - Indiana vs Milwaukee ***key game***
    Fri, Apr 1 - Charlotte @ Orlando
    Fri, Apr 1 - Milwaukee @ Indiana ***key game***

Sat, Apr 2 - Indiana - IDLE
    Sat, Apr 2 - Charlotte - IDLE

Sat, Apr 2 - Milwaukee vs Philadelphia

Sun, Apr 3 - Indiana @ New Orleans
    Sun, Apr 3 - Charlotte vs Washington
    Sun, Apr 3 - Milwaukee - IDLE

Tue, Apr 5 - Indiana - IDLE

Tue, Apr 5 - Charlotte @ Cleveland
    Tue, Apr 5 - Milwaukee @ Orlando

Wed, Apr 6 - Indiana vs Washington
    Wed, Apr 6 - Charlotte vs Orlando
    Wed, Apr 6 - Milwaukee @ Miami

Fri, Apr 8 - Indiana vs Atlanta
    Fri, Apr 8 - Charlotte @ Miami
    Fri, Apr 8 - Milwaukee @ Detroit

Sat, Apr 9 - Indiana - IDLE
    Sat, Apr 9 - Charlotte - IDLE

Sat, Apr 9 - Milwaukee vs Cleveland

Sun, Apr 10 - Indiana vs NY Knicks
    Sun, Apr 10 - Charlotte vs Detroit
    Sun, Apr 10 - Milwaukee - IDLE

Mon, Apr 11 - Indiana - IDLE
    Mon, Apr 11 - Charlotte @ New Jersey
    Mon, Apr 11 - Milwaukee vs Toronto

Wed, Apr 13 - Indiana @ Orlando
    Wed, Apr 13 - Charlotte vs Atlanta
    Wed, Apr 13 - Milwaukee @ Oklahoma City

As mentioned above......starting in April...our schedule gets tough where we have more losable games then winnable ones......whereas the Bucks and the Bobcats eases up a little where they have more winnable ones then losable ones.

I can see us go anywhere between 4W-8L to 6W-6L for the rest of the season. My guess is that with anything less then 36 wins...we'll probably fall short again of the Playoffs.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The Bucks have quite a few road games left on their schedule. Let's hope that's a good thing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Bucks really don't have the fire power to make it I don't think.

We need to win our next winnable games and play hard in all of our other games to get ourselves ready for the postseason.

If the Pacers beat the Bobcats Wednesday night, I think that essentially knocks them out as the Pacers will have a 3 game in the loss column lead (because they already own the ti-breaker. And then if the Pacers win in Milwaukee, the Pacers have the ti-breaker against them. So win those two games and just win the home games against Kings and Wizards (two really bad teams) and the Pacers are in.

But if the pacers lose either to the bucks or Bobcats it gets much tougher especially if they lose to the Bucks because then the Bucks gain the ti-breaker.

it will lead to some interesting discussions if the Pacers get in with less than 37 wins, as the pacers won 36 games in each of JOB's first two seasons