Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting article about Jalen Rose and "Dukies"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Interesting article about Jalen Rose and "Dukies"

This got me to thinking about a column I read about Jay Williams when he was a rookie, before the motorcycle accident that effectively ended his career. Everyone expected Williams to light it up, but he struggled. In detailing why, it was explained that he fed off the closeness and adulation from his teammates and fans at Duke more than others did, which he wasn't getting in the NBA. When he asked veteran Rick Brunson about it, he simply told him "You're from Duke. Everyone hates you."

Think about Duke for a second. All that program does is win games, graduate players, and follow the rules, all under a successful, respected, and classy coach. And yet EVERYONE HATES DUKE. I think the former players know that but don't understand why. And I think that's part of the reason behind Hill and Hurley being so defensive.

I don't blame Hill for writing his article. As a white male who grew up in a rural area, I knew "Uncle Tom" was offensive, but I didn't know how offensive. If that makes me naive, then so be it. And I think Hill's rebuttal helped explain that, so it was a worthwhile exercise.

That said, I'm glad Jalen (and the rest of his Fab Five brethren) said what they did. To me, it was obvious they were explaining how they felt as college kids. That's exactly the type of insight I'm looking for when watching these type of documentaries. I wouldn't have wanted them to change a thing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nc...ory?id=6270285

Mike Krzyzewski reacts to Jalen RoseEmail Print Comments161 ESPNChicago.com

Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski took exception to critical comments that ESPN analyst Jalen Rose made about the school, saying they were "very insulting to everyone here at Duke."

Waddle & Silvy
    Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski called "The Waddle Silvy Show" while Jay Williams was co-hosting and discussed the Fab Five documentary as well as the Bulls and Derrick Rose.

More Podcasts »

Rose, as part of an ESPN Films documentary "The Fab Five" that aired March 13 (Rose was an executive producer), said black Blue Devils basketball players recruited in the early 1990s were "Uncle Toms."

"I hated Duke and I hated everything Duke stood for. Schools like Duke didn't recruit players like me. I felt like they only recruited black players that were Uncle Toms," Rose said in the documentary.

Former Duke and NBA star Grant Hill already called the comments "sad and somewhat pathetic."

"Obviously, that was a poor choice of words and very insulting to everyone here at Duke but especially, not just our African-American players, but any African-American students," Krzyzewski said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 in Chicago Tuesday. "When you judge within a race, you start judging, like you put categories as to who you are. I think that's just the wrong thing to do."

Krzyzewski said one of the Fab Five could have ended up at Duke.

"We were very successful against them and, to be quite frank with you, we recruited Chris Webber," he said. "I didn't recruit Jalen Rose because we had Grant Hill and I'm happy with that. We didn't look at the other, Juwan Howard [because] we knew he wasn't going to come to Duke. The other two kids we didn't think were the caliber that could play as well as Thomas Hill and Brian Davis and Billy McCaffery. They're good kids. They were good kids."

Duke beat the Fab Five in the 1992 NCAA championship game. Michigan made it back to the title game in 1993 but lost to North Carolina.

"They had a heck of a run but, they didn't leave anything, they didn't establish anything there," Krzyzewski said. "The guys that I had established something that Jay Williams continued to do 10 years later -- the standards of what it meant to be a Duke basketball player."

Williams, a college basketball analyst for ESPN, spoke about the topic on ESPN 1000 as well Tuesday. He said that Rose texted him and Hill on the eve of the show and said that his quotes did not pertain to them. When Williams saw the show, he was still unhappy.

"Listen, I know that it's obviously how Jalen reflected upon it when he was a 19-year-old kid," Williams said of the Uncle Tom comment. "But, I think the thing that got a lot of people disgruntled was the fact that he never came out and said, 'Listen, this is not how I feel now' in the documentary."

Williams also said that there is a debate in the African-American community on what it means to be "black." He said he lived in a black neighborhood as a kid but went to a predominantly white school. When he played basketball in his neighborhood he was razzed for "talkin' white."

"How is it to be less black?" he said. "If the definition of an Uncle Tom is me coming from a dual parenting home where my mother and father worked harder for me to receive a better education; if the definition of an Uncle Tom is for me going to a prestigious school like Duke or Harvard or learning how to flow from being in the inner city and also being on TV and in the corporate world, I'll be an Uncle Tom all day long."

Meanwhile, in Jalen's life:

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/29/jalen-...-michigan-nba/

He is arrested for DUI.
    Last edited by Cherokee; 03-29-2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: corrected from DWI to DUI.

For the record- I am a huge Jalen fan. Number 5 was my number all the way through highschool ball because of him... huge fan.

Anywho, a lot were insinuating to some degree Grant Hill was being a drama queen by writing a public response to Jalen Rose. Just remember, that it seemed Hill's intent was to tackle an important issue in today's society. And he did. Whether or not you want to argue over Jalen Rose's intents, it was a great chance for Hill to use his celebrity to discuss a very important issue.

I don't want our forum to get into this discussion, because it can definitely get completely out of control. But we can all recognize without debating, that their is a clear disconnect between blacks in our society who don't come from a completely broken, and poverty stricken home, and those blacks who had to grow up in that society. There has been a someone what prevailing theme that people such as Hill for instance are somehow "less black" as Hill put it.

As a bunch of white people from a predominantly white populated state, we probably aren't the best to get into that discussion. However, it is great that Hill did respond in the way that he did. He was very balanced, and did not attempt to attack Jalen in any way. He did his best to highlight what was at the heart of this controversy, and I think he was trying to speak for all black American's who have had a much more blessed life than those who've grown up in the "'hood."

I know my opinion is highly valued around here, but for what it's worth, I'm echoing all of KStat's posts in this thread.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he was about Maturity and Class, he would've found a way to call Jalen and have a discussion with him, not go and act like a pissed off high school girl and write a blog that deliberately threw Jalen under the bus.
    Actually, the response was very mature and thought out. Now what reeks of classlessness is tweeting someone that you're "friends" with that you're about to **** them off on national TV. Jalen could have called Hill before the airing of the documentary (I understand he probably only had a couple months to call, but still no excuse) and explained the comments and their context.
    Danger Zone

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

As a bunch of white people from a predominantly white populated state, we probably aren't the best to get into that discussion.
    Well, there's the obvious - you can't see and/or verify color online so we don't actually know that the board is a "bunch of white people," so I'd caution you against assuming this. I am curious though - are the majority of us (total members and also active members) living in Indiana?

I think it is clear that Jalen is talking about how he felt at the time but in hindsight perhaps he sees that it might have been a good idea to make his current feelings explicit in the doc, especially since he apparently understood it might cause a fuss.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."