Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Hansbrough, "I had a coach that didn't believe in me."

Default Re: Tyler Hansbrough, "I had a coach that didn't believe in me."

haha I just got an idea ..

Let's all bombard Charlie Sheen's twitter with a campaign to get him to mention in one of his next videos .. the line ... "NOBODY WANTS TO FACE TYLER HANSBROUGH.....NOBODY !!"

haha that'd be awesome ..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Tyler supposedly had a bad game against Boston...yet he still scored in double figures and grabbed 11 boards.

I think it's time to accept the fact he's for real.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Tyler supposedly had a bad game against Boston...yet he still scored in double figures and grabbed 11 boards.

12 to be exact.

He seems like he's going to be huge for us and may be our PF.

He's done very well and shows know signs of slowing down.

DC/Paul/Danny/Tyler/Roy is definitely the best lineup.

He's going to have a time period where teams adjust to who he is as a player, and he'll have to figure out how to succeed after that.

How he handles that situation will be telling.

Speaking of not believing in Hansbrough..

we've got a radio sports jock down here in N.C. that claimed Tyler would never score 20 points in a NBA game, and that he would do a show in his underwear if Tyler proved him wrong.

The radio jock has apparently welched on this claim.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post

we've got a radio sports jock down here in N.C. that claimed Tyler would never score 20 points in a NBA game, and that he would do a show in his underwear if Tyler proved him wrong.

Lame, its not like he's on TV, he should just own up and do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He's going to have a time period where teams adjust to who he is as a player, and he'll have to figure out how to succeed after that.

That may very well be true. I'm torn on this, but I think it's possible that his game is too unconventional to shut down. Honestly, I don't think you can figure out what he will do next...because he just takes whatever's available and doesn't force it like he used to. He has shown he can score in a variety of ways and that many players cannot guard him effectively for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazz View Post

That wasn't a local dj. That was Colin Cowherd whose show is televised on ESPN.

tyler needs to see if he can score 350 or so points in the last 15 games or so. lots of guys can score 100 points in a week, the trick is doing it game after game. one thing that is true, he will start getting a lot more defensive coverage.

i agree with you on this. teams are going to adjust. and he will need to adjust to the adjustment.

Haven't teams already adjusted to Hansbrough? They take away his drive and double him down in the second half of every game now. They force him to shoot the jumper which he probably has been hitting at about a 60% clip.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Braindead View Post
    Haven't teams already adjusted to Hansbrough? They take away his drive and double him down in the second half of every game now. They force him to shoot the jumper which he probably has been hitting at about a 60% clip.
    They've adjusted some for sure. If he continues to play this well, they will need to adjust further. When that happens, he will need to be able to pass the ball better. I'd say I'm a bit concerned about that, but if he demands that much attention others will have open shots.

The Bulls adjusted in the 2nd half but he still got 12 points and 6 boards. One big asset for Tyler is that he gets good lift on his jumpshot and that allows him to see / shoot over anyone that charges at him.

When he's knocking down those open jumpers, he's brutal on the opponent. I'm curious to see if teams start playing him tighter out there. He has a bit of a first step; I think he could really take advantage of that if it happens.

In fact, I'm almost wondering if that's why he's not getting tighter coverage already. He's been knocking that shot down for a while now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    When he's knocking down those open jumpers, he's brutal on the opponent. I'm curious to see if teams start playing him tighter out there. He has a bit of a first step; I think he could really take advantage of that if it happens.

In fact, I'm almost wondering if that's why he's not getting tighter coverage already. He's been knocking that shot down for a while now.
    They do try to cover him by switching defenders, the problem is that everytime they do this somebody else is open.

They've adjusted some for sure. If he continues to play this well, they will need to adjust further. When that happens, he will need to be able to pass the ball better. I'd say I'm a bit concerned about that, but if he demands that much attention others will have open shots.
    Exactly, I expect that's the adjustment he's going to have to make.
    Passing (becoming better and knowing when to do it) As well as..maybe some actual go to post moves instead of the frenetic mess that is Tyler's awesome offensive game.

The fact that he's decently consistent at that midrange shot helps him a lot.

That said, playing Tyler is sort of like going up against an oncoming train. A lot of force there..

That said, playing Tyler is sort of like going up against an oncoming train. A lot of force there..

Psycho Train
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Quote Originally Posted by jello212 View Post
    That wasn't a local dj. That was Colin Cowherd whose show is televised on ESPN.
    Wait, it was Cowherd? No ****ing way! LMFAO oh man your right! I remember him saying that! Well I sure hope he is taking a lot of heat now from those comments. I can't stand listening to him any more.

Teams haven't really adjusted to Tyler yet, but he has an uncanny knack of knowing where to pick his spots in the offense. He's almost always wide open.

It's amazing that he never really played pick and roll until the NBA. He's pretty good at it already.

Like Sookie said, the real test has yet to come. I don't want to see him driving to the basket unless he's going with the intent to get fouled. If I'm scouting him from another team, I'd much rather have him driving than shooting mid-range jumpers all day. In any case, having him AND Roy on the court together will keep teams honest, which will open things up tremendously for Collison and then George when he's more developed. Tyler's consistent play will have a much larger impact on the overall offense than any stat can show.

Whatever's the case, I've thought he'd be the solution at PF since game #5 but I never expected a consistent month out of him this early on. The guy just knows how to play basketball.

I wasn't a fan of his at UNC, and I still cringe when I watch UNC reruns, but his teams win.
    Last edited by imawhat; 03-19-2011 at 01:27 AM.

I consider Tyler like the Borg.

I have a feeling during a game a defender will tell his coach "he's adapted" when Tyler does something else.

Think about it, he used to be brutal about getting his shot blocked. How often does that happen now. He used to not be able to handle a double team very well, how often does that happen now.

Sure Garnett and other long forwards are going to cause him problems and probably always will but in the long run there are only so many of those types of power forwards that are both long enough to disrupt his shot and strong enough so that he can't just move them out of the way.

Also as long has he is hitting that 15-18' jumper he is another animal altogether.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I consider Tyler like the Borg.

I have a feeling during a game a defender will tell his coach "he's adapted" when Tyler does something else.

Think about it, he used to be brutal about getting his shot blocked. How often does that happen now. He used to not be able to handle a double team very well, how often does that happen now.

Sure Garnett and other long forwards are going to cause him problems and probably always will but in the long run there are only so many of those types of power forwards that are both long enough to disrupt his shot and strong enough so that he can't just move them out of the way.

Also as long has he is hitting that 15-18' jumper he is another animal altogether.
    When he is hitting that jumper he is nearly unstoppable. Its kinda scary actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    All the cars in the world to go with there and this guys picks an Acura? Really?
    It's his choice not yours. If he likes acuras, let him have them.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    When he is hitting that jumper he is nearly unstoppable. Its kinda scary actually.
    Yep. He has good elevation so the defender has to be on top of him. This will expose many defenders to his drive to the basket...resulting in fouls, and-ones, etc.

As soon as I saw his game, I stated that his bread and butter in the NBA was going to be his midrange game. He has met if not exceeded my highest expectations on that point. The one place he has really surprised me is his ability to adjust to the inside game. He was getting his shot blocked every other time he made an attempt early last year. That's obviously changed and his FG% is skyrocketing.

With that said, I will be impressed and a little bit surprised if this level of performance continues. We shall see what teams do to stop him...and obviously the work on that has just started. But I have a feeling this is a chess match and Tyler isn't going to simply accept the fact teams have game-planned for him. He's a competitor and if he needs to develop a strong passing game I have a feeling that's very possible. He's just been too good all these years at hitting shots that there's been no point passing it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

The Bulls did learn their lesson and started staying out on him after the PnR. From this he occasionally got a solid drive in there, and once or twice someone forced the action into the lane and drew the Bulls away from him.

But the fact is that good teams with any kind of scouting are going to realize that if you stay out on him you can deny the jumper and slow him way down. Then its going to be back on Collison's shoulders to do something with the space that opens up for him in the lane, and I'm still pretty doubtful about that part.

To me what really helped the Pacers when the Bulls clamped down was Paul George being able to create off the dribble. That gets some space going again and starts to open up all these other things.

BTW, Tyler isn't the only one impacted by adjustments. Teams long ago saw you could double Roy and get him to struggle. He had been passing well out of it, and seems to be getting that back now, but for several months he's been crushed by any solid double teams.

Ditto Danny who gets doubled all the time.

They key for a great TEAM is that any one guy might not be able to take over, not even Paul George, but if you have enough guys that can hurt you for doubling or helping then eventually one of them is going to be left in a favorable position.

DC high PnR with Tyler with Roy and Danny as threats is a lot to cover. If you also have Paul and/or Josh doing their creative things then it's a real burden.

If you could get Rush to dial back in his 3 ball (and keep DJones at his make rate) you'd really have an ultra-competitive team.

All of which could have been started and developed TWO YEARS AGO in some cases. We could have been on a ride like this last March instead. Think how far we'd be now if that was the case.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Think about it, he used to be brutal about getting his shot blocked. How often does that happen now.
    He's reduced the number of those crap inside attempts. And he's picking up speed naturally as the game slows down for him that sometimes gets him the initial step on a guy and keeps him on his heels long enough.

You'll see him "forget" and try to be more true PF inside and still get blown up.

But without a doubt Tyler looks to me like a player that found his NBA identity in the 2nd half of the Philly game. That's his "click" moment, or maybe Vogel's depending on how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    All of which could have been started and developed TWO YEARS AGO in some cases. We could have been on a ride like this last March instead. Think how far we'd be now if that was the case.
    The damage Jim did to Granger's game is probably irrepairable. That might be the biggest negative because I don't think the team was healthy or mature enough to make much noise the last couple years.

Roy is a far more effective player simply because he's not a foul magnet this year. Tyler is on the court. Murphy is off the court. Collison, as bad as he is, is better than TJ. Rush is better. Foster is back. Paul George is a Pacer. AJ is healthy.

So, IMO the biggest damage to the team as a whole was done this year. Allowing Jim to drive the team into the ground in December by attempting to force his misfit strategy hurt the team's confidence. I'm just glad he isn't going to impact the Paul George era very much. In fact, he might help Paul by showing him how a team should not be coached.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: