Thread: Colts Defense: Good, Average, Bad, or Ugly?

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Colts Defense: Good, Average, Bad, or Ugly?

After three games, I'm not sure what to make of the Colts defense. I certainly wasn't expecting a version of the 2002 Bucs D, but I also didn't expect to see our defense allow the numbers they have so far this season. Opposing offenses have seemingly moved at will. The defense is allowing 25 points a game along with 416 total yards per contest (103 rushing, 313 passing). The Colts D is easily ranked dead last statistically in the NFL. Ouch.

Yet, one must also take into account the fact the Colts have faced three of the upper echelon offenses/QBs in the league in the Patriots, Titans, and Packers. The starting secondary has suffered several injuries, and the Colts are depending upon their third-stringers to provide adequate pass defense. Some allowances have to be made for the current play of the defense. In Tony Dungy's first few years, the defense improved from 29th to 9th to 3rd in the league. Surely the D can improve... right?

So, can the defense improve and perhaps even be respectable by season's end, or is it truly up to the offense to take the Colts to the win column week after week? What do you make of this defense?
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts Defense: Good, Average, Bad, or Ugly?

Well stats wise on paper our defense is ugly as hell , I really after 3 games still wondering what to really think of our defense. Maybe it's just me but I notice our defense is always sluggish at first and it improves as the game goes on , I think our defense has been hit hard with injuries and were 2-1 with alot of backups playing.

I think it's tough these days in the present NFL to put together a great defensive unit without breaking the piggy bank and still having a good offense , I don't think in the past several years I have seen domination on bothsides of the ball , like the Cowboys did several years ago.

We know the offense is good and has been for several years , but is it enough to take it all the way? I watch the Colts offense and I see a precision offense , I mean watching them move down the field almost makes me cry it's so beautiful.

But one thing is for sure I don't think the defense can get any worse and I am sure we will improve , sometimes you don't need to have the best defense , you need players who can step up and make those plays when you need them. The Packers defintely changed the momentuem in the 2nd half , but there was a few defensive plays that helped us snatch it back in our favor.

I know alot will say defense wins championships , but is that saying still holding true in the present NFL ?
    [edit=279=1096325025][/edit]

I'll say it... Defense wins championships. Offense sells tickets.

If this defense doesn't come around then no amount of offense will be good enough to carry the Colts to the Super Bowl.

I believe the Colts are way out of balance between offense and defense. You may not have to be absolutely killer on both sides of the ball but you need to be better than last in the league on one side.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Football games, and championships, are won on the line of scrimmage. Its rare that a team with great 'skills' players and an average OL/ Front Seven advances in the playoffs.

I haven't watched the Colts yet this season, but certainly the Irsay family has always placed too much emphasis on QBs, WRs, and RBs, and not enough emphasis on the heart and soul of the football team.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

howboutanicebrew_er

Our O line is top notch. I watched MNF (Skins and Boys) and Brunnell was never in the pocket. He was constantly being flushed, and the running game had its problems as well. Our O line is simply amazing-Peyton is never touched, and Edge almost always has a good hole to run through.
    Our D line has also played a little better. We've been getting some pressure on the opposing QBs, though still a shoddy run D. If Freeney would take an inside route once or twice, he'd stuff the run before the back got the hand off.
    The secondary remains the problem as we're injured and playing the reserves. By the time our starters are back, the D will look much better. Our pass D last year was good, but the run D sucked. The D line has improved a little, and the LBs have improved (I think), except for June, but heck, what do you expect from him? The second half of our schedule is easier, and the D will (hopefully) be healthy--we're going to be a force come playoff time.

You know what? This defense is NOT as bad as its league rating. The numbers look bad. But if you all remember, the defense is PLAYING WHEN IT COUNTS. Each week the defense has come up with plays or stops to put the offense in a chance to win.

Against NE, they held them put much much better in the second half. Against Tennessee, Harper had that timely pick, and McNair fumbles. Against, GB, David got the strip. So though they have been playing bad, they are making big plays. That is super important. Of course, we have a lot of injuries. Doss is out, Sanders is out. Those 2 will make a difference without a doubt. So I am not terribly worried. Once they get back lets evaluate how they are and then pass judgements.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

RA231

Our pass defense just got worse with Bashir down with yet another injury. Maybe they might move Strickland to safey and start David at corner. David is a solid player that just needs a little more experience. Hes young, he came out of college as a junior, and hes good, just a little small and inexperienced. Our run D is better, Brown did well on us, but he did well agianst Miami and there are considered one of the best defenses in the league. Thorton is still one of the league leading tacklers in the league at strong side. June sucks. I hope and think he'll get better as the season goes by. If not, I see Gardner starting. He did well before his injury. Hes finally back I saw him play ST agianst the Packers. Thats good. Maybe we could move June back to safety and start Gardner? June is any slower than Floyd or Bird. Just a thought. The Defense is the worst in the league, we have just played good teams with A LOT of key injuries to the defense. Wait till the end of the season and will look a lot better on the stat sheet than we do now. GO COLTS!!!!

RA231

Our pass defense just got worse with Bashir down with yet another injury. Maybe they might move Strickland to safey and start David at corner. David is a solid player that just needs a little more experience. Hes young, he came out of college as a junior, and hes good, just a little small and inexperienced. Our run D is better, Brown did well on us, but he did well agianst Miami and there are considered one of the best defenses in the league.

Thorton is still one of the league leading tacklers in the league at strong side. June sucks. I hope and think he'll get better as the season goes by. If not, I see Gardner starting. He did well before his injury. Hes finally back I saw him play ST agianst the Packers. Thats good. Maybe we could move June back to safety and start Gardner? June is any slower than Floyd or Bird. Just a thought. The Defense is the worst in the league, we have just played good teams with A LOT of key injuries to the defense. Wait till the end of the season and will look a lot better on the stat sheet than we do now. GO COLTS!!!!