Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: NY/Pacers postgame thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: NY/Pacers postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    did you not watch the last play? melo was granger's man and danny initially followed melo but then stopped in the key like he was instructed to help defend the basket. it's a fair question considering the publicity melo is getting for complaining he wasn't passed the ball being so wide open. melo was granger's man and granger didn't defend him. by nba rule, a shot can be legally attempted with .3sec left in the game. only under .3sec does the nba deem it impossible. what part of wanting to know what granger's instructions were on the final play deserve a "rolleyes"?
    Seriously dude, your really nitpicking here. Your trying to find something on Danny to complain about. The defense was set up to not allow an easy avenue to the basket for a tip in, the most realistic chance NY had at successfully getting a shot of with .3 seconds left. Its nearly impossible for Melo to have gotten a decent shot off from 15 feet behind the 3 point line with .3 seconds left.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Seriously dude, your really nitpicking here. Your trying to find something on Danny to complain about. The defense was set up to not allow an easy avenue to the basket for a tip in, the most realistic chance NY had at successfully getting a shot of with .3 seconds left. Its nearly impossible for Melo to have gotten a decent shot off from 15 feet behind the 3 point line with .3 seconds left.
    it's not about nitpicking. the melo story has been one of the major stories today. they have replayed the last possession over and over. at no point was i saying anything negative about danny. as i stated, my curiosity is from a basketball perspective...what was he instructed to do on the last play? yes, it's nearly impossible to get the shot off, but this is a top 10-15 player in the league we were leaving wide open at the top of the key with by nba rules enough time to get a clean shot off. the replay shows danny initially following melo, but then stopping in the paint. nothing wrong with a fan trying to understand the mindset of the team in a situation like that.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    it's not about nitpicking. the melo story has been one of the major stories today. they have replayed the last possession over and over. at no point was i saying anything negative about danny. as i stated, my curiosity is from a basketball perspective...what was he instructed to do on the last play? yes, it's nearly impossible to get the shot off, but this is a top 10-15 player in the league we were leaving wide open at the top of the key with by nba rules enough time to get a clean shot off. the replay shows danny initially following melo, but then stopping in the paint. nothing wrong with a fan trying to understand the mindset of the team in a situation like that.
    Sure its within the rules, but the physical limitations cannot be ignored. Derek Fisher's shot with .4 seconds left was probably the fastest done and he was in a better position with a better shot. Melo was a good 10-15 feet behind the 3 point line, the chances of him hitting a shot from that spot are pretty low. The chances of him hitting a shot in .3 seconds are even lower. The chances of him hitting a shot from 10-15 feet behind the 3 point line with .3 seconds left are extremely low. It was a much better decision for Granger to stay where he did because a player getting open there has a much better chance of hitting the shot from there.

I thought the rule was .4 for a catch and shoot, anyway?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Sure its within the rules, but the physical limitations cannot be ignored. Derek Fisher's shot with .4 seconds left was probably the fastest done and he was in a better position with a better shot. Melo was a good 10-15 feet behind the 3 point line, the chances of him hitting a shot from that spot are pretty low. The chances of him hitting a shot in .3 seconds are even lower. The chances of him hitting a shot from 10-15 feet behind the 3 point line with .3 seconds left are extremely low. It was a much better decision for Granger to stay where he did because a player getting open there has a much better chance of hitting the shot from there.
    Ditto there is no argument here. If they want to try and shoot from that far out with .3 seconds let them, just don't give them an easy tip in.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    My hopes would be that Tyler smashes a one handed dunk on Garnett and yells "Efff me??? No Eff you Kevin".

This would be in response to last season when Lester Conner asked Kevin Garnett if he would talk to our rookies (A.J. & Tyler) & big bad Kevin's response was "F*** your rookies".
    That would make my whole ****ing year...
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    Your post and excitement for your first NBA game was awesome to read. I was talking about this tonight (so not calling you out)... Hardcore Pacers fans (like a few on PD) who watch and talk about the Pacers all the time, but never or rarely go to games... I live about 25 minutes south of you so trying to figure out what can be done to get guys like you to another game! (besides lots of wins.) Balcony is like $10 & it seems like you had a good time? Like will be back again?

I used to prefer to watch games at home, really prefer, until I started going to every game and then I couldn't stop (or save any money).
    Sure wish I could afford season tix, but with only one income, I'm often forced to cheer from the den.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michealwilliams4 View Post
    From there, only about ten teams won 60 games without a contributing top five pick, and I believe the 90's Jazz and '04 Pacers were the only ones without a contributing top ten pick. There's simply no substitution.
    MAJOR STATISTICAL FLAW ALERT

MOST TEAMS HAVE TOP 5 GUYS, EVEN THE LOSERS.

Why? Because higher picks tend to linger in the NBA regardless, and the bad teams keep on getting them in the lottery.

The Pacers HAVE A TOP 5 PICK ON THE ROSTER - Mike Dunleavy.

You might as well say it's critical to get a guy over 6'6" on the team because so many championship teams have them.

In fact here's my challenge to anyone - list ALL NBA TEAMS currently without at least 1 top 10 or top 5 pick (2 different lists). Don't forget your Darkos and Kwames.

And on top of that, Boston has #5 Garnett BUT....they got him by trading the #15 pick Al Jefferson. Just one of many examples were lower picks become players good enough to be traded for higher picks.

Plus let's not even play the "name them" game on great lower picks or guys brought in without high draft picks. We haven't even got into guys like Parker, Manu, Rajon Rondo, Paul Milsap, Brad Miller, Artest, AK47, Peja (when he was an AS level player), David West, Ariza, Boozer.

A fair chunk of elite teams are built off guys from well outside the top 10.

Yes, you need to know what you are doing in the draft, but then I'd say that's true for most winning teams in general. The Pacers have been most injured by the GSW trade and the deals given to JO and Tins, and teams like the Clippers don't instantly win games with some high draft picks (year after year).

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I thought the rule was .4 for a catch and shoot, anyway?
    No, .3

You can tip in a shot less than that because the clock can't start till it touches your hand, instantly bouncing off it.

Melo easily could have caught and shot the jumper. No fake, no dribble of course, but he was wide open. A good shooter wide open is just as good as the chances of lobbing into traffic.

Also Danny was the guy "defending" Melo on the game tying bucket.

Danny was better, but he's got a long way to go when it comes to turning away any SFs. DJones has been a much better defender, and on nights when he's making shots he can be more valuable than Danny.

I like Danny and think he can work back to AS status, but liking the guy doesn't mean I can't criticize aspects of his game.

Taking the Celtics five. michealwilliams4's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Thanks for the post and research.

So that means we either have to luck out and win the lottery or tank to get a top5 pick. Does your research include signing a top 5 pick or trading for a top 5 pick?

For example, would acquiring a top 5 pick like Mayo count?
    Sorry for kind of "bumping" this after the Celtics game...

Yes, signing/trading for top five pick does count. It helps in the case of the Lakers specifically for not only Shaq, but Pau (and Odom) as well.

And, Seth, while I do recognize there is a flaw in the 60-win bracket for the sheer volume of top five picks in the league, I still don't think it takes away the necessity of having to either draft/sign/trade for a player who's generally taken in the top five, because those are the guys that pan out more often than they don't, though if you're signing or trading for them, you should have a pretty good idea that they are or they aren't.

But I don't want it to be thought that this is just about having a top five pick on your team. I'm not talking about Darko Milicic, Pervis Ellison, or even Jonathan Bender in this. It's about viable production that isn't going to be matched by an average replacement, one of the say 3-5 most important players on a team, depending on the depth of production on a team, something Dunleavy is borderline with at best (he is some nights, he isn't others).