Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Clippers paid for coach's surgery

Thumbs up Ex-Clippers paid for coach's surgery

GERY WOELFEL gwoelfel@journaltimes.com | Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Kim Hughes was in trouble, more trouble than he ever envisioned.
    While working as an assistant coach for the Los Angeles Clippers seven years ago, Hughes was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
    But Hughes was told not to worry. His doctor assured him the cancer was slow growing and felt Hughes could wait several months before undergoing surgery.
    But Hughes had an issue with that. The Clippers were about to go to training camp and Hughes, a basketball junkie with a voracious work ethic, didn't want to miss a day of work.
    "My doctor told me he would do the surgery in a couple of months and then I'd be off my feet for a couple of months," said Hughes, who played at the University of Wisconsin. "He said, ‘You know this is major surgery.' "
    Hughes confided in Mike Dunleavy, then the Clippers head coach, about his dilemma. Dunleavy suggested Hughes consult with another doctor he knew and perhaps Hughes' surgery could be sooner.
    Dunleavy's suggestion paid off. Hughes' new doctor, Stuart Holden, at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, was receptive to doing the surgery the following week.
    But then Hughes encountered yet another major obstacle.
    "I contacted the Clippers about medical coverage and they said the surgery wouldn't be covered," Hughes said. "I said, ‘Are you kidding me?' And they said if they did it for one person, they'd have to do for everybody else."
    When Dunleavy learned the Clippers wouldn't cover the cost of Hughes' surgery, he mentioned it to his players.
    Several of them, including now Milwaukee Bucks forward Corey Maggette, Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Marko Jaric, were taken aback by the news and decided to offer their assistance.
    "Kim was one of our coaches and he's a really good friend of mine, too," Maggette said. "He was in a situation where the Clippers' medical coverage wouldn't cover his surgery. I thought it was a great opportunity to help someone in need, to do something that Christ would do.
    "It shows your humanity, that you care for other people and not just yourself. Kim was in a life-and-death situation."
    It was indeed a dicey time for Hughes. After a biopsy was taken, he learned his prostate cancer was much worse than he believed.
    The cancer had quickly spread and was on the brink of moving to other areas of his body.
    If Hughes had delayed the surgery, and if Maggette and his teammates hadn't provided the necessary financial assistance, Hughes doesn't know what would have occurred.
    Well, actually, he does.
    "Those guys saved my life," Hughes said. "They paid the whole medical bill. It was like $70,000 or more. It wasn't cheap.
    "It showed you what classy people they are. They didn't want me talking about it; they didn't want the recognition because they simply felt it was the right thing to do."
    Hughes said he will be forever grateful to Brand, Jaric, Kaman and Maggette. In fact, Hughes said every time he runs into any of them, he thanks them from the bottom of his heart.
    Maggette said that was indeed the case, laughing how he has repeatedly told Hughes over the years it wasn't necessary.
    "Kim thanks me every time he sees me; he does that every single time," Maggette said smiling. "I've said to him, ‘Kim, come on. You don't have to do that. You're good.'
    "It just shows you what kind of person he is, to keep thanking me all the time for that. Like I said, it was just my time to serve another human being.
    "I think if anyone on my team is in that kind of situation, I would try to help him out if I could. That's just the person I am. I was raised that way."
    Hughes said Maggette's concern and generosity illustrate how sometimes people erroneously perceive others.
    "Corey is perceived by some people as not being a good person because he seems to be aloof and arrogant," Hughes said. "But they don't know him. He's a good man; he's a great man.
    "You can have all the money, all the success, all that stuff, all those so-called important things in life, but in the end, you're judged by what you did for your fellow man. Corey will always be an important part of my life. What he and those other guys did for me put things in perspective.''
    http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/b...cc4c002e0.html

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ex-Clippers paid for coach's surgery

The NBA is filled with self-centered thugs.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

****ing Sterling is a dick

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

How is cancer surgery not covered by the NBA employee's insurance?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sterling is a huge *******. Thankfully these classy players, unlike the owner, had some humanity. If they're not covering this for an assistant coach, think how crappy the insurance has to be for the people who do the day to day behind the scenes work for the Clippers. They probably have a hard time hiring anybody at all, hence the Black History Month ad.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is cancer surgery not covered by the NBA employee's insurance?
    Considering it involves the Clippers' owner it doesn't surprise me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Glad to hear he's doing good, good to see that the players were a blessing to him. Very nice story.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This just goes to show that all the rumors about Donald Sterling having a heart of stone have serious merit.

I'm glad that players like Maggette, Brand, Kaman, and Jaric were on the team and willing to help their coach out. It turned out to be a life-saving act. I'm also glad that they have all (except Kaman) been able to break free from Donald Sterling's lunacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Good job by the players. Happy he made it safely

Now I have an explanation: Karma

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LG33 For This Useful Post:

while this is a heart warming story, it is quite misleading from a medical standpoint.

this article is pooooorly written because of this and wrongly throws the clippers under the bus.

i'm inferring that 7 years ago, kim hughes probably wanted to have the surgery performed by a "da vinci" robot, which was newly approved by the FDA. Therefore, I would bet that most people's insurance wouldn't cover the procedure.

Because of this, I don't think this reflects poorly on Don Sterling, even though he's a heck of a sketchball.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

in other words, hughes would have had 3 other options with the intent to cure him that would have been covered by insurance. and frankly, its rare that most any patient have the surgery he had by way of da vinci even today.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Clippers owner has always seemed very greedy, but it's great to see former players and Chris Kaman reaching out to help their former team's former coach.

Hughes seems to be a decent big man coach so hopefully he finds work next season.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    while this is a heart warming story, it is quite misleading from a medical standpoint.

this article is pooooorly written because of this and wrongly throws the clippers under the bus.

i'm inferring that 7 years ago, kim hughes probably wanted to have the surgery performed by a "da vinci" robot, which was newly approved by the FDA. Therefore, I would bet that most people's insurance wouldn't cover the procedure.

Because of this, I don't think this reflects poorly on Don Sterling, even though he's a heck of a sketchball.
    But seriously 70k is nothing to Sterling. His Clippers make him money when they shouldnt he is lucky he is in a big market. If he wasnt he would be broke by now with all the stupid **** he does.

Mark Cuban would have paid for it

Sports Logo Sports Logo

in other words, hughes would have had 3 other options with the intent to cure him that would have been covered by insurance. and frankly, its rare that most any patient have the surgery he had by way of da vinci even today.
    Where did you read that he had this particular surgery? Do you have a link?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

i know what insurance covers and doesn't because i deal with this kind of thing every single day.
    i'm inferring that 7 years ago, kim hughes probably wanted to have the surgery performed by a "da vinci" robot, which was newly approved by the FDA.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 03-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.

while i don't have strong feelings about this one way or another, as an assistant coach and one of hundreds of employees of his, i do get why he didn't volunteer the money, especially when there were other options that would have been covered by insurance. my guess is that this didn't even come across sterling's plate - hughes probably went to human resources.

the only reason the players got involved was because he is most exposed to them.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    But seriously 70k is nothing to Sterling. His Clippers make him money when they shouldnt he is lucky he is in a big market. If he wasnt he would be broke by now with all the stupid **** he does.

Mark Cuban would have paid for it

while i don't have strong feelings about this one way or another, as an assistant coach and one of hundreds of employees of his, i do get why he didn't volunteer the money, especially when there were other options that would have been covered by insurance. my guess is that this didn't even come across sterling's plate - hughes probably went to human resources.

the only reason the players got involved was because he is most exposed to them.
    So is your job finding ways to deny coverage? You seem pretty biased in this.

my job is to treat patients with cancer.

because of this, i'm quite exposed to the insurance industry, which obviously is hateful at times.

how am i biased? by knowing that there are 3 basic treatment approaches to prostate cancer?

no insurance company would turn away coverage for a patient diagnosed with cancer for treatment without cause.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    So is your job finding ways to deny coverage? You seem pretty biased in this.
    Last edited by Kaufman; 03-15-2011 at 04:56 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to apply for critical health insurance. That isn't covered automatically by my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I have to apply for critical health insurance. That isn't covered automatically by my employer.
    curable prostate cancer would not NOT be covered by any conventional insurance that I know of, so critical wouldn't be as applicable in this particular situation.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish there was a Thank You button for those Clipped players.

Kaufman, sounds like this Pacer team has, at worst, a cancerous locker room, at least, a pain in the a$$. What prostrate advice do you have for this team/ teammate, immediate removal or treatment & patience?
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Kaufman, sounds like this Pacer team has, at worst, a cancerous locker room, at least, a pain in the a$$. What prostrate advice do you have for this team/ teammate, immediate removal or treatment & patience?
    haha

treatment varies from patient to patient

Wow, those players just earned a lot of respect from me.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

You just appeared to be firmly on the Clippers managements side. I recognize that this is based on educated assumptions.

my job is to treat patients with cancer.

because of this, i'm quite exposed to the insurance industry, which obviously is hateful at times.

how am i biased? by knowing that there are 3 basic treatment approaches to prostate cancer?

no insurance company would turn away coverage for a patient diagnosed with cancer for treatment without cause.