View Poll Results: Bird will lead this team to an average of 50 wins for the next 5 seasons.

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Bird is a GM genius.

15 28.30%
  • No, hire anyone other than Bird to run the show next season.

3 5.66%
  • Please kill me now (vnzla81)

8 15.09%
  • Yes, Bird can Lead this Franchise too 50/5+. (PacersPride)

8 15.09%
  • This fool done lost his dam mind (Diamond Dave)

10 18.87%
  • I am just happy to see an optimistic thread on the forum (Lou Bega)

5 9.43%
  • Bird will announce a "3 year plan" at the end of this season (Brad8888)

1 1.89%
  • Bird will lead this thread to Thread of the Year status (Naptown_Seth)

3 5.66%
  • Legend will win Executive GM of the year Award. (PacersPride)

3 5.66%
  • He's decent but not as great as you think (Captain Obvious)

1 1.89%
  • He'll be the first non-GM to win GM of the Year (The Sleeze)

5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

Originally Posted by pacer4ever
    except we are missing a Ibaka, Perkins, Durant, Westbrook

Morway himself said we arent buliding the team that way. He said they are trying to bulid like the 04 Pistons which will be an epic fail.
    Hold up, what? could you provide me with anything where he said something like this please?

Am I the only one who missed this?
    I saw pissons and overlooked it. Bird building the roster in the same manner as the 91-00 Indiana Pacers teams is a better comparison.

Dude that seems highly optimistic to me. That's a hard thing to do, but i will say this. I like these bold prediction threads. Why, because you have nothing to lose, except taking a little teasing, but if it comes true you look like a genius. I just hope the Pacers are in the playoffs every season for the next 5 years.
    Believe me, folks remember threads like these, I realized it when I stated Brandon Rush is an inconsistent (3pt) shooter. Which in my estimation he still is, but that shipped has done sailed.

If Bird sticks believe me I will be bumping this thread, ive subscribed to it so it will be easily located.

I might be wrong so be it, but if I am right the Bird critcs who have no clue can get bent. I mean that with all due respect.

I am hoping a few of them show up on here like aaronb, nice guy but totally disagree with his POV regarding Legend.

Please kill me now (vnzla81)
    Vnzla81,

is the best contribution you can make to the thread. if so, then you may be right about your poll option.

from posts ive read i believe your a bird critic, but yet never offer any reasons for your position. in the "will Bird be back" thread I asked if you would please elaborate and i do not remember seeing a response.

If you do not believe Bird can accomplish leading this team to 50/5 then man up and say so, if not then with all due respect sit on on the sidelines and let the big boys have an adult conversation at PD.

Thank you
    Last edited by PacersPride; 03-15-2011 at 06:04 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hold up, what? could you provide me with anything where he said something like this please?

in his interview with JMV the day after the trade deadline.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only way Bird leads us to 5 straight years of 50 win seasons is if he gets in the Delorian and floors it to 88mph and begins to suit up for the Pacers. That or the league increases the number of games to 120 per season.

Even during the Pacers glory days, I don't believe we ever had 5 straight years of 50 wins or more.
    All in for DG33

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Even during the Pacers glory days, I don't believe we ever had 5 straight years of 50 wins or more.

Indiana Pacers averaged 50 wins for 10 seasons. 94/95 - 03/04. Pacers Franchise won 504 games in 10 seasons.

* 1998 lockout season win % .660 per 82 games equals 54 wins, included in total wins above.

2003-04 Indiana 61 21 .744
    2002-03 Indiana 48 34 .585
    2001-02 Indiana 42 40 .512
    2000-01 Indiana 41 41 .500
    1999-00 Indiana 56 26 .683
    1998-99 * Indiana 33 17 .660
    1997-98 Indiana 58 24 .707
    1996-97 Indiana 39 43 .476
    1995-96 Indiana 52 30 .634
    1994-95 Indiana 52 30 .634

For what it's worth I agree that there's no better person for the job then Larry Bird. I do think he'll have us in contention within 3 years if he decides to stay. I wish he'd come out and say what he wants to do, not just that he'll sit down with Simon at the end of the season. That or it would be nice for Simon to stand up and say what he wants to do. I would hope he has the business sense to want to keep Larry in charge.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Bird can totally lead us to 50 wins.

He just needs 2 season's to accomplish it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Banned

Excellent Thread
    You stated your opinion gave some facts and stated why you feel that way.

Remember This
    The Pacers win 1 game after a 6 game losing streak . I don't know if you have seen the movie What about Bob, but baby steps. I would love to finish above .500 for the next 3 seasons. 50 wins is a lot for a team that Bird himself called out as unproffessional in the Star last Friday.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post

my bad I told you the wrong interview it was on pacers crate here is the link

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/originals/

it is on that page just click on crate with Morway

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    The only way Bird leads us to 5 straight years of 50 win seasons is if he gets in the Delorian and floors it to 88mph and begins to suit up for the Pacers. That or the league increases the number of games to 120 per season.

The Pacers have 5 seasons in NBA history of 50+ wins though without the strike that would probably be 6. At best if you assume that strike season is 50 wins it gets you 50+ wins in 5 of 6 years. Stretch it to the 61 win team and you get all 6 in a span of 9 years.

So this group, under Bird, is about to go on an unprecedented run of winning that blows away with Miller's crew could pull off?

Well anything can happen. I mean this thread it out to 3 pages already and I never would have expected that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    For what it's worth I agree that there's no better person for the job then Larry Bird. I do think he'll have us in contention within 3 years if he decides to stay. I wish he'd come out and say what he wants to do, not just that he'll sit down with Simon at the end of the season. That or it would be nice for Simon to stand up and say what he wants to do. I would hope he has the business sense to want to keep Larry in charge.
    I agree, maybe the uncertainty of the CBA is making the Simons unwilling to commit at this time.?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    Bird can totally lead us to 50 wins.

He just needs 2 season's to accomplish it.
    I agree. The following season after next this team will win 50 if Bird chooses the right coaching staff. I believe he will because this team has talent where previously they did not when SVG rejected the head coach position. Mike Brown is my top realistic candidate right now. Sloan/ JVG i doubt are interested.

I thnk Brown will be a good coach for the Pacers. He does have ECF and NBA Finals experience, even as an assistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    Excellent Thread
    You stated your opinion gave some facts and stated why you feel that way.

Remember This
    The Pacers win 1 game after a 6 game losing streak . I don't know if you have seen the movie What about Bob, but baby steps. I would love to finish above .500 for the next 3 seasons. 50 wins is a lot for a team that Bird himself called out as unproffessional in the Star last Friday.
    Thank you Lou for taking the time to read my comments.

Lou, I totally get what your saying. I remember the Pacers early 90's and how difficult it was to reach the second round. Tough series with Boston, then Orlando. It doesnt happen overnight. That the part i feel i realize and some other do not.

Folks calling Hibbert and wanting to trade a 7 foot center with a good work ethic and that is very young away because he is having a slump. DC may not be Steve Nash but give the kid a chance. he only played significant minutes last year for 37 games, same amount as a college schedule, new coaches, new teammates, new offenses, 2nd year player, hitting a sophmore slump of sorts. I think he will be good under a well structured coaching staff.

to summarize, the baby steps have been the past 3 seasons. Birds "3 Year Plan." Now it is ready to begin competing. New Coaching staff (Love Vogel btw), we need experience...

Next season this team will be ready to walk. The season following begin to run, and continue running consistently for the next 5 seasons. I dont think Bird stays longer than 3 more honestly, but I hope like many here that Pritchard is his eventual replacement.

This team is very inexperienced or "unprofessional," not to be critical of Vogel but this team needs a more experienced head coach. I believe Vogel will have an opportunity again and will do a very good job. With hopefully a solid coaching staff, and add some vets this offseason, let this teams chemistry begin to develop. We have had constant roster turnover for several seasons straight.

Well, sorry for the long-winded speech Lou, appreciated your comments.

Go Pacers!

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    The Pacers have 5 seasons in NBA history of 50+ wins though without the strike that would probably be 6. At best if you assume that strike season is 50 wins it gets you 50+ wins in 5 of 6 years. Stretch it to the 61 win team and you get all 6 in a span of 9 years.
    Right, I provided the stats below. Its 6/10 seasons of 50+. The strike season we could have won 60, it was the pacers team coming off a 7 game series with MJ for the right to go to the Finals. Simply remarkable in a ten year span the Pacers averaged 50 wins a season.

Helluva run..

2003-04 Indiana 61 21 .744
    2002-03 Indiana 48 34 .585
    2001-02 Indiana 42 40 .512
    2000-01 Indiana 41 41 .500
    1999-00 Indiana 56 26 .683
    1998-99 * Indiana 33 17 .660
    1997-98 Indiana 58 24 .707

1996-97 Indiana 39 43 .476
    1995-96 Indiana 52 30 .634
    1994-95 Indiana 52 30 .634

So this group, under Bird, is about to go on an unprecedented run of winning that blows away with Miller's crew could pull off?

Well anything can happen. I mean this thread it out to 3 pages already and I never would have expected that.
    Yes, thats what I am saying. Starting next season were looking at 40-45 wins. We are going to win realistically 35 this year. You do not believe with a solid experienced coaching staff, $30M in cap space, core group including: DC, AJ, George, Hansbrough, Hibbert,(McRob?, Lance???, Rush??), all under 25, gaining possibly playoff experience this year can improve 5+ wins next season? Are you watching the Pacer games with next year under consideration?

40-45 wins next season (2011/12), 45 (2012/13), 50 (13/14), 50 (14/15), 55 (15/16).

I guess its not quite 50/5+ but its pretty close. Plus like i stated earlier Bird will make sure someone takes over who will do a good job, hopefully Pritchard, cause I dont truthfully believe Bird will stay longer than three more season at most. But the core he is putting in place will contend for a decade imho.

I appreciate your response, i would say 50% of the wanna be GMs on here only want to bash Bird because of the current teams results. What has to be taken into consideration is the team Bird inherited in 2008. It wasnt very good and was loaded with overpaid contracts. Most GMs at least get 4-5 seasons to turn around a Franchise.

Why are so many quick to bash Bird in only three seasons of work, its because he is Larry Bird and everyone thinks he gets a pass because of his status. The guy didnt inherit a great team in 08. And knew we were financially strapped for three seasons. He did the best thing he could do, knowing we were not gonna compete earnestly for a title he picked up role players in the mid teens via the draft.

I would suspect if anyone realizes how vital role players are it would be Larry Bird.

Rush, Hibbert, Hansbrough, AJ Price, George: all solid role players and potentially starters on championship caliber teams. Add Darren Collison/McRob via trade as well as contributors on a championship caliber team. There is seven solid role players on a championship caliber team. May get a couple more this offseason. Now we have the cap space to attract star talent, and let the younger players develop.

We also have the talent to now attact an established and experienced head coach who can help the young players develop.

I do not know who the big money FA player is Bird has his eye on, I hope its Gordon, and I like that Granger keeps upping his value as he did tonight. Landry, Mayo are two players Legend has his eyes on but im certain there are others.

It will be exciting PacerNation, next season (or whenever play resumes due to the cba) the Pacers return to glory begins.

Legend will be recognized with Executive GM Award to add too the trophy mantle including NBA MVP and COY Award.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Naptown Seth, looks like your gonna peter out me and not put up a fight. At least you have the self-respect to admit your wrongdoings and eat crow on Hansbrough. not much doubt in my mind you will end up having a healthy serving before its all said and done.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...t=57849&page=2

The Bird critics lacking a backbone who are too cowardly too post here can go ahead and subscribe to this thread for future reference.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...t=57860&page=2

"Larry Bird serving crow." Hope your hungry Aaronb, Vnzla81!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I just wonder what the reaction will be if he goes out Tuesday night and shoots 3-17, because frankly that would surprise me less than a repeat of tonight.
    Tyler Hansbrough, PF 37 12-17 0-0 6-8 1 2 3 0 2 0 2 3 +9 30

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    I don't think that will be a problem.
    Touche.

Originally Posted by TheDon
    From Chad Ford's Twitter
    @chadfordinsider Bird & Morway underrated as drafters. Starting Granger (pick 17), Hibbert (17), Hansbrough (13), George (10). Great draft value.
    Nice to see an "expert" agree, Bird is an underrated GM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Lightbulb Re: Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

gonna allow the thread to lie until the upcoming offseason when it is known if Bird will return.

vnzla81 & group, hang in there one more season, Bird will lead us to 5+ consecutive playoff appearances and 50 wins.

diamond daves club will be the fools once Legends three year plan is completed this offseason

Sports Logo Sports Logo

gonna bump this thread.. see if the Aholes on here who consider themselves experts have decided to change their tune on this thread and/or Bird.

fortunately for them, most of the bird critics did not have the balls too step up and cast their vote or express their opinion.

anyone heard from aaronb in awhile?? wonder what his thoughts are or any of the other Bird critics on the pacers taking the bulls, team with the best record in the nba and probable mvp to the wire in each of the first 4 games.

whose the fool again.. me for believing in Birds 3 year plan (THE LAST 3 YEARS).. or the Bird critics who want him gone.

if Bird wants too come back, its a no brainer move for the Simons I hope.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think if PacersPride and aaronb ever meet face-to-face the resulting matter/anti-matter explosion will consume the solar system.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Can I vote "please kill me now" twice?

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    gonna bump this thread.. see if the Aholes on here who consider themselves experts have decided to change their tune on this thread and/or Bird.

fortunately for them, most of the bird critics did not have the balls too step up and cast their vote or express their opinion.

anyone heard from aaronb in awhile?? wonder what his thoughts are or any of the other Bird critics on the pacers taking the bulls, team with the best record in the nba and probable mvp to the wire in each of the first 4 games.

whose the fool again.. me for believing in Birds 3 year plan (THE LAST 3 YEARS).. or the Bird critics who want him gone.

if Bird wants too come back, its a no brainer move for the Simons I hope.

I'm still around, still of the same opinion.

37 wins and 1 playoff win doesn't change the facts. Still a deeply flawed roster. Still not anywhere close to being able to compete for anything of note. Still needing 2 guys better than anyone on this roster to even be fringe contenders.

Lucky that the East was epically bad this year.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

AHOLES ? for disagreeing with you ???

or to quote Monty Python "WE ARE ALL ONE! (crowd) WE ARE ALL ONE (lone voice) no we're not"
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    I don't think Clippers would hang up on the Granger for Gordon deal. Danny would play a lot better as Robin, and that is what he would be to Blake Griffin. He is under contract for a couple more years so he is guaranteed to be there, whereas Gordon isn't. Isn't Granger from Cali too? Granger goes home and so does Gordon. This deal is definetely achievable
    No, Danny is from Louisiana, New Orleans area.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think if PacersPride and aaronb ever meet face-to-face the resulting matter/anti-matter explosion will consume the solar system.
    Make it so - it could be the key to the first warp drive!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Make it so - it could be the key to the first warp drive!
    But Captain! We canna' bring up the containment cells!
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

This thread gives me a headache.

Why do there have to be two extremes? No, I don't think Bird is the death of the franchise but that doesn't mean I think that he's basketball Jesus, executive wise. With the hands he's been dealt personally I think he's been very good in acquiring pieces, but he is stubborn and it almost kills us at times. For example, Jim and Lance Stephenson.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aaronb View Post
    I'm still around, still of the same opinion.

37 wins and 1 playoff win doesn't change the facts. Still a deeply flawed roster. Still not anywhere close to being able to compete for anything of note. Still needing 2 guys better than anyone on this roster to even be fringe contenders.

Lucky that the East was epically bad this year.
    thanks for chiming in finally on this thread in a serious manner.

the playoffs are a new season, under Vogel this team was above .500. Obrien had too be one of the worst coaches ive ever seen.. worse than Isaiah possibly. The facts are Bird has turned this franchise around, easily your boy pritchard or any other gm coulda have came in here and made risky trades to get back on top sooner. maybe giving up draft picks or valuable players like well Danny Granger.. cause he is the only one who had any value when Bird took over; extending the pacers mediocrity but in only 3 years Bird has did what he said he would.

"deeply flawed"??? we have depth at every position. DC, Granger, Hansbro, and Hibbert are all very young, and still have room too improve, even Granger, and were challenging the top seeded bulls. the cavs are deeply flawed.. the pacers have depth just lack one superstar player. havent you been listening to the espn, and tnt pundits like Barkley and so on.. this team is one player away.. DRose is the player who is the difference in this series, and its not by much.

deeply flawed?? lol, that would be your reasoning supporting your current opinion on Larry Legend.

i agree we need a closer or elite player, im not sure its two, i believe its one, and he goes by the name Eric Gordon. the other is Paul George who will have all the advantages at SG, but even more significant at SF.

Pair George and Gordon for the next 10 years and build around those two players.

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    AHOLES ? for disagreeing with you ???

or to quote Monty Python "WE ARE ALL ONE! (crowd) WE ARE ALL ONE (lone voice) no we're not"
    no, not for disagreeing with me.. but for being dicks about it. read the poll options to get a better clue of the the AHOLES are im referring too.

this is a legit discussion, and it only took 2 months later to become one. all the excitement, hope and optimism can be largely credited to Larry Legend. Ive read for 2 years now how he gets a pass b/c he is Legend, its BS.

Bird deserves Executive of the year for turning around this franchise, and if he sticks around long enough and continues to do a good job, he will be adding that award to the others including MVP and COY.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This thread gives me a headache.

Why do there have to be two extremes? No, I don't think Bird is the death of the franchise but that doesn't mean I think that he's basketball Jesus, executive wise. With the hands he's been dealt personally I think he's been very good in acquiring pieces, but he is stubborn and it almost kills us at times. For example, Jim and Lance Stephenson.

stubborn but it prob saves us at times as well from not making a good trade. anyone who has been on pacer msg boards (PD, Espn, RealGM, Cornrows, Indystar) has undoubtedley read from the pacer faithful that Bird needed to be removed.

All ive said is give him a chance and dont judge him during the Walsh/Bird era. Since 08 Bird has made solid moves for the franchise.

he was straightforward from the getgo.. it will take 3 years. and some pacer fans b****ed and moaned about it. But 3 years are what most coaches, rookies, GM's and others are usually given to succeed.

Birds critics said he got a pass and that he did not deserve to be in charge.

look at this team now.. and look where we are headed.

young, talented, and cap flexible. 3 years ago.. Obrien was the best coach we could get here.. SVG rejected us.

think SVG will turn us down now if he is fired and we pay him market value. i doubt it.. Pacers are showing right now they are a team on the rise.

all the Bird critics are gonna be eating crow.. but they will slip on the Legend fanwagon and pretend theyve been behind him the whole time.

i know many of you may question my motives on this thread. its simply this, ive believed in Bird since day 1. ive read time and time and time and time and time again how much Bird sukkks.

well now i see the pacer faithful finally acknoweleging the exceptional work Bird has accomplished.. and its nice too know im not two faced hypocrite like some will turn out to be.

anyone read Kravitz article recently... he fits the above criteria as a two faced clown. it wasnt long ago he was calling for Birds resignation, along with that jerk*** Rich Nye from channel 13 who blasted Bird on occasion. Now Kravitz has nothing but positive things too say, and even sounds as though he hopes Bird returns.

bottom line here is.. dont be soo quick too bash our pacer players or GMs without giving it a little more thought.

Hibbert, DC, Hansbro, have received the brunt of the bashing this season, and yet these are all reallly first year key contributors to the Pacers.. here they are battling the #1 seeded Bulls with everything theyve got.. yet theyve been hammerred at one point or another all season on here.

let these kids grow up, give Bird two more seasons, get the ideal coach for this team (Vogel, Brown, Addlemen.. or some other) and watch this team do its best impersonation of the 90's early 00's Pacers, xcept this time bring us a banner to the Fieldhouse.

If Bird gets that job done in the nxt 5 years.. he should be considered a basketball genius.

The east is tough, but i think with experience were gonnna be battling the Bulls, Heat, Knicks, and anyone else for several seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    thanks for chiming in finally on this thread in a serious manner.

I appreciate that you have such optimism about the near future of the franchise. Unfortunately I just don't see it that same way. All these guys other than Granger and complementary role players. Nobody other than Granger is someone that would be really hard to find on other NBA rosters. They are bit parts that can be changed out without much trouble (see the 36 wins on 2007-2008 and 2008-2009 versus our 37 wins this year).

In the NBA you HAVE to have a legit lead character to be a legit contender for anything. The only place we can reasonably get that is the draft or via trade.

Unfortunately pushing for the 8th seed each and every year has shortcut us from finding that franchise guy. Unless we sign Oden and he develops into that? Where is the Franchise guy coming from?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bump.

Did not take as long as I thought it would.

BOOM BABY!

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post: