View Poll Results: Bird will lead this team to an average of 50 wins for the next 5 seasons.

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Bird is a GM genius.

15 28.30%
  • No, hire anyone other than Bird to run the show next season.

3 5.66%
  • Please kill me now (vnzla81)

8 15.09%
  • Yes, Bird can Lead this Franchise too 50/5+. (PacersPride)

8 15.09%
  • This fool done lost his dam mind (Diamond Dave)

10 18.87%
  • I am just happy to see an optimistic thread on the forum (Lou Bega)

5 9.43%
  • Bird will announce a "3 year plan" at the end of this season (Brad8888)

1 1.89%
  • Bird will lead this thread to Thread of the Year status (Naptown_Seth)

3 5.66%
  • Legend will win Executive GM of the year Award. (PacersPride)

3 5.66%
  • He's decent but not as great as you think (Captain Obvious)

1 1.89%
  • He'll be the first non-GM to win GM of the Year (The Sleeze)

5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

I want to establish it on record today Bird (if he stays) will win GM of the year award within the next 3 seasons.

How cool will it be for Bird to win player MVP, Head coach of the year award, and GM of the year. No other person in the history of the NBA can make such a claim.

Bird has done a remarkable job of digging this franchise out from under the catastrophe of the brawl. I know many on here may fail to see it and want Pritchard but I hope Bird stays as President of Basketball Operations.

I do not want to get into previous decisions Bird has made, because the hand he was dealt in 08 was nothing special. Instead I want to look at this current team through the eyes of Larry Bird, and try to gain understanding into what his next moves from here may be. After careful consideration, I believe Bird will lead this team to contender status for the next decade, and WILL WIN GM of the Year Award (not that Bird gives a ripp about awards, but I know he wants this team to win a championship). The reason I believe in Bird is because he cares, its not just a paycheck to him like it may be to another GM. Excluding Pritchard, or Donnie (temporarily anyways), there is no one else I want to see running the Pacers organization, and Bird is my top choice at this time.

For discussion purposes throughout the threard presume $65M will be the hard salary cap for the new CBA.

2011 offseason:

gauranteed salary players:

DC, AJ, Lance, George, Rush, DJones, Granger, Posey, Tyler, Hibbert

total salary is estimated at around $36M. Leaving the Pacers with just under $30M to pursue FA's with.

I will also state that it now appears our Frontcourt is set. I want Hansbrough/Hibbert starting, McRob off the bench at either 4/5, Foster resigned for a year or two and then bring in a 5th Big. Who that is i dont know, could be a number of players. we do know Bird is interested in Landry. I will presume this is the route he will go simply for discussion purposes.

PF: Hansbrough, Landry, McRob
    C: Hibbert, McRob, Foster

I hope McRob resigns along with Foster. Dependent upon who we take in the upcoming drafts this could be revised. But right now i believe our Frontcourt is established.

McRob needs to add strength so he can gaurd centers in this league. Overall, that is a very good frontcourt to build on for the next 5 years. obviously, Foster will retire but we can replace him with a 4/5 in the draft at some point.

The point gaurd rotation needs work, but right now DC, AJ, Lance are all very young, I believe the FO is willing to give it more time before we determine if we need to make changes. Good news is, i think we can get by with DC & AJ for at least another season.

I belive Mike Brown will become the next coach of the Indiana Pacers. He is the most logical candidate I believe at this time. I want to see these young point gaurds adjust under a solid veteran traditional coach.

SG/SF:

Rush is a nice player off the bench. He is not a quality starting sg, but very capable as a b/u at the position. George has talent to become a very good player.

Other than George, I can see Rush, Granger, and DJones all being moved this offseason.

Im beginning to get a little long-winded here so I am going to summarize very briefly.

Bird will not jeopardize the 2011 cap space flexibility. At most he may go after Landry and McRob this offseason solidifying the Frontcourt rotation.

Hans/Landry
    Hibbert/McRob
    ^^^^^^^^^ is solid.

DC/AJ/Lance- Pacers can continue to evaluate for one more season.

George is the only wing I feel confident saying will be back next year. If Granger is dealt, look for us to resign Dunleavy at around 5-6M.

I am going to be very optimistic and say that Bird lands Eric Gordon in some way.

Here is where it gets good. I believe the Pacers will win 40-45 games next season. The following season they will be a 50 win team for the next decade under Birds guidance.

2012 unofficial projected roster:

PG: DC, AJ if these players do not cut it in 2011 under Mike Brown, the team will look to upgrade in 2012 either via draft/trade/FA. However, for now I will give DC/AJ the benefit of the doubt.

SG: Gordon, Rush (tho im not certain he will still be around, we may fill the b/u SG position through draft/FA/trade as well.

SF: George, Dunleavy

PF: Hansbro, Landry

C: Hibbert, McRob

The estimated salary for 2012 roster is $65M give or take a million or two.

PG: DC 6M, AJ 4M
    SG: Gordon will get 15M, b/u sg 5M
    SF: George- still on rook contract, Dun 5M
    PF: Hansbro 8M, Landry 6M
    C: Hibbert 9M, McRob 5M

At the hard cap salary limit this is a very solid team that is very young for the next 4-5 years. The only player that will need to be signed from this group is George and he may get 10M. which will push us over the Salary Cap. I am not too concerned with it b/c by 2013, we can replace DC, AJ, Landry, Dun, b/u SG for potentially draft picks that will be on a lower salary contract to keep it under $65M hard cap.

Outside of the point gaurd position, I am confident everywhere else with this roster with an additional 2-3 seasons under a coach like Mike Brown. The core of these players age will be approximately 25 years old and signed for 5 years. We may need to make a change at point, but right not it has not been deteminded i believe by the FO. I believe getting a coach in here is one of the top priorites for 2011 as it should be.

Bottom line is this:

LARRY LEGEND WILL WIN EXECUTIVE GM OF THE YEAR IF HE STAYS 3 MORE SEASONS.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I believe PacerNation, LEGEND will lead this team to 50 wins a season over the next decade.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 03-15-2011 at 05:57 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Going on record PacerNation: Bird will win GM of the Year Award

This seems like such an odd time to come out with such a declaration.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

What are you smoking and can I have some? I don't think he will be back even next year.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird could win "Executive of the Year" (I think there is such a thing, but am not sure) as Pressident of Basketball Operations, but Morway is the GM.

Interesting thought about "Executive of the Year", but an additional radical change to the franchise would probably have to occur to make that happen, namely a 15+ game improvement from one season to the next, or a deep unexpected run in the playoffs. Unfortunately, IMO, unless Bird is told to "swing for the fences", the chances of such a radical change from one season to the next is unlikely, unless it is the very next season the Pacers have after whatever lockout happens / doesn't happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

What an odd post. I'm not sure we have enough talent at any position. I certainly wouldn't say our front court is set. Far from it.

Also, hate to break it to you, but the Clippers would laugh and hang up at a Granger for Gordon deal.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

“It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dlewyus For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This seems like such an odd time to come out with such a declaration.
    I hope Bird stays, and if he does we will win 50 for the next decade after the 2011 season.

I believe in the objectives Bird has accomplished here. Do not label it as idol worship, Legend is from the hoosier state, and i believe the position of President of Basketball operations is more than just a paycheck to him.

As one poster mentioned in another thread, Larry sees these players as though they are his adopted children. Ive nvr really picked up on it so explicitly, but when LA Confidential?? mentioned it I realized its kinda true.

Ive been on the Hansbrough fanwagon all season. Im not declaring the kid an allstar, but he is going to be a very good player. Carlos Boozer is his ceiling. I remember reading all the negative comments about why Posey was playing over TH during the game threads and thunk to myself wtf is Obrien doing too pacer fans.

I read many who are strongly opposed to Bird as GM, and others who are on the fence. Its been difficult to remain loyal as a Pacer fan for the previous seven seasons. Walsh/Bird era was a FAIL due to unforseeable circumstances.

In only three seasons Bird has given reason for optimism this offseason. Pacers will at least be active. Its been comparable to watching paint dry to either trade/expire Tinman, Murphy, Dunleavy, even back to the Walsh era Artest and Jackhole.

Pacers are young, have $30M in cap space, and can land a solid coaching staff this offseason.

LEGEND WILL WIN GM OF THE YEAR.

I am not sure if Pritchard is joining the team plane to replace Morway, visit, or take over. If it is the latter, then Bird will have left this Franchise to the top candidate most on here would have wanted.

Whatever happens from here I am certain Legend will be leaving this Franchise in better condition than when he first walked through the door.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 03-15-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    I hope Bird stays, and if he does, you heard it hear first. We will win 50 for the next decade after the 2011 season.
    50 games for the whole decade?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Well...

At least there are still some sunshiners around. I remember when sunshiners and darksiders used to be pretty equal. It ain't that way no more.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Yes, average 50 Wins for a decade, or until he leaves as President of basketball operations.
    I think you meant "50 wins per year" then.

And you also left out "the lion shall lie down with the lamb" and "there shall be peace in the Middle East" and "the Democrats shall return to the Indiana Statehouse".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

I don't think Clippers would hang up on the Granger for Gordon deal. Danny would play a lot better as Robin, and that is what he would be to Blake Griffin. He is under contract for a couple more years so he is guaranteed to be there, whereas Gordon isn't. Isn't Granger from Cali too? Granger goes home and so does Gordon. This deal is definetely achievable
    Murph

19. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPride33 For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Also can see Pritchard becoming GM, seems like he is aggesive and always looking to upgrade team. Think Larry stays in FO though
    Murph

nice strategy, if can land Gordon type player

22. The Following User Says Thank You to The Rocker For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Is this the new Disney film? when is it coming out?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Mood

Well John Hammon won GM of the year last year so anything is possible. All he did was add a bunch of salary and medicore players Drew Gooden Magette and Salmons.

I will hand it to him that Salmons trade got them into the playoffs and he played really good. They just way overpaid him in the off season to resign him.

Mood

If our front court is set we are gonna suck for another 10 years

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mood

Dunleavy at 5-6m per year please shoot me
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-14-2011 at 05:21 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Rocker View Post
    nice strategy, if can land Gordon type player
    Concisely, only on the EJ fanwagon because I believe it would rejuvinate the Pacer fanbase.

EJ is not Mike Jordan. If Bird likes Mayo, he can go that route as well. The main purpose of my thread is not too acquire EJ, though I hope it comes to fruition because I believe it instantly increases attendance and excitement.

Bird will win Executive of the Year and I am going on record saying it. I love the Pacers, and dont care if its Bin Laden leading us to the Finals or Jesus himself.

If Bird completely busts this offseason and next, I will be the first to say his goose is cooked.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Banned

And Jim would win COY, oh wait..............

I think everyone knows I'm a pretty big fan of Birds job as GM here and even I'm confused.

Is this real life?

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Mood

At most he may go after Landry and McRob this offseason solidifying the Frontcourt rotation.

I mean He might not go get anyone which is fine but saying Landry "is solidifying the front court roation" is just laughable
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-14-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I think everyone knows I'm a pretty big fan of Birds job as GM here and even I'm confused.

Is this real life?

37. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Banned

Right now i would take Dun at 5-6M over Granger at 13M. Dunleavy at least trys to play defense.

and p43, i know your not a dunleavy fan, but if you play dun at his natural sf position, i believe his defense would not be as atrotious.

he is a good player rather you can accept it or not, just overpaid right now.
    Dunleavy over Danny?

Say no to drugs bro

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post

Is this real life?
    Sorry, i dont like the lack of accountability on the boards. Folks ripp Hibbert and say he makes them sick, then next month he is a franchise center.

"Hansbrough" has a dear in headlights look, three months later he is an all star. constant teeter-totter.

When Bird wins Executive of the Year and gets this team too 50 wins in a season or two, everyone will be saying Bird is a genius.

Im gonna agree and say you heard it hear first

41. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post: