View Poll Results: How do you feel about Tyler's regular season so far?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm very happy with Tyler's play this year

32 35.96%
  • I'm happy with Tyler's play this year

48 53.93%
  • Tyler's play this year has neither disappointed nor inspired me

9 10.11%
  • I'm disappointed with Tyler's play this year

0 0%
  • I'm very disappointed with Tyler's play this year

0 0%

Thread: Tyler Hansbrough: How do you feel about his season?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tyler Hansbrough: How do you feel about his season?

Ok, I'm now going to make Paul and Tyler one as well. This should give us the 5 guys the Pacers used on most of their marketing stuff to start the year.

DC, PG, DG, TH, and RH were the focus of the Pacers marketing blitz.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Default Re: Tyler Hansbrough: How do you feel about his season?

Considering his career games played is equivalent to a rookie who played a full season and given the fact that he also couldn't work on his game last summer, I'm thrilled with his play.

Everyone knows that Tyler will be working his tail off in the gym this summer. I can't wait to see him next year with an intense summer workout under his belt. I'm more excited about Tyler right now than most other Pacers, that's for sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Considering his career games played is equivalent to a rookie who played a full season and given the fact that he also couldn't work on his game last summer, I'm thrilled with his play.

Everyone knows that Tyler will be working his tail off in the gym this summer. I can't wait to see him next year with an intense summer workout under his belt. I'm more excited about Tyler right now than most other Pacers, that's for sure.
    tyler has exceeded my expectations. i foolishly thought that he was a bust after not doing much his rookie season. tyler has shown that he belongs in the NBA.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been better than I expected.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird1245"
    On cold February nights during a stretch of 3 games in 4 nights, he will come in and spark a team to a victory with his hustle and hard play.
    I want people to keep this quote in mind. To me, this is the case of what is happening right now. There is no quit in Tyler. He has one speed, which is 100%. And it's showing right now.

I was a big downer on Hansborough as a draft pick. But I forgot about this. The fact that he plays hard 100% all the time every time is a great asset to this team as it is currently built and we are enjoying it right now.

With that said, I cannot for the life of me say that I have been impressed with his play this season. I don't think that we can live with him being a black hole. If he ever learns how to pass- I think he could be a sixth man or a bonafide starter in this league, something that I would have laughed at saying two years ago. But I cannot give him a passing grade when the ball just full on stops when he has it. He needs to learn how to work within the offense. It's ok right now when we don't have options, but on a winning team will he be able to work with others, or will he be just one of those good bench scorers that we bring for a change of pace?

Maybe I'm expecting too much from him, and maybe the front office is fine with him being our future bench player and scorer and generally all around beast.

But I feel like he has room to become better. That is why despite all the good things he has done this year, he has both disappointed and inspired me, which made me chose the middle option.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    With that said, I cannot for the life of me say that I have been impressed with his play this season. I don't think that we can live with him being a black hole. If he ever learns how to pass- I think he could be a sixth man or a bonafide starter in this league, something that I would have laughed at saying two years ago. But I cannot give him a passing grade when the ball just full on stops when he has it. He needs to learn how to work within the offense. It's ok right now when we don't have options, but on a winning team will he be able to work with others, or will he be just one of those good bench scorers that we bring for a change of pace?
    He made two in the first quarter last night that were better than any passes I've seen out of him in two years. Of course, Roy failed to convert both times.

So while I agree with the black hole point, I think he may at least be making a slight effort to change.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

I think part of being a black hole is taking bad shots, that doesn't really happen much anymore. Some of the ball stoppage is guys watching him and not moving, too.

Tyler's top of the key open jumper, or the baseline jumper are the best shots the Pacers have been getting. It's a way better shot than Roy's patented air ball hook shot over the double team.

Here for the past few games, I don't want Tyler passing the ball that much, which is why I've been on the other side of the fence with the argument.

Danny went 2-19 last night. We really want Tyler passing the ball so Danny can get more opportunities? And it's not just Danny that has been struggling offensively.

If Tyler is the only one who can make a damn FG, then he should shoot the ball every time down the court as far as I'm concerned.

Watching him shoot the ball might be annoying, but watching anyone else shoot the ball is just depressing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Tyler's top of the key open jumper, or the baseline jumper are the best shots the Pacers have been getting. It's a way better shot than Roy's patented air ball hook shot over the double team.
    +1

That turn-around fade away from the corner has got to go though. That's not his style, and it shouldn't be. Go at defenders Tyler, that's what you're good at!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I think now that he's getting decent at his mid range jumper, he should try to work on an off-the-dribble pull up jumper out of the same 'body language' he has when he otherwise would be attacking the basket hard. Head down, start attacking the basket, but after the first or second dribble, rise up or even fade away for that matter, and pop a shot. If he could get that move down, he'd be pretty difficult to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Here for the past few games, I don't want Tyler passing the ball that much, which is why I've been on the other side of the fence with the argument.

Danny went 2-19 last night. We really want Tyler passing the ball so Danny can get more opportunities? And it's not just Danny that has been struggling offensively.

If Tyler is the only one who can make a damn FG, then he should shoot the ball every time down the court as far as I'm concerned.

Watching him shoot the ball might be annoying, but watching anyone else shoot the ball is just depressing.
    Amen!

It's weird to think that the PF position seems to be the least of this team's concerns right now...

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    It's weird to think that the PF position seems to be the least of this team's concerns right now...
    Well, now, I wouldn't say that.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember this board being 50/50 at best regarding Tyler when we drafted him. I was happy with the pick, always have been.

In the very least, I think we can put to rest the notion held by so many people on draft night that Tyler's game wouldn't translate to the NBA. I don't think any of his supporters claimed he'd be an all-star, but he's at least a very, very serviceable PF, which is exactly what I expected of him. And the energy/hustle/drive, you cannot place a value on.

He was an extremely important piece to the puzzle, and currently the only piece of the puzzle really giving a damn.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

I've been very happy with his effort. That's about it. He's had as many bad shooting nights as good, and I think he's just as ineffective on the boards as McRoberts(for painfully different reasons though).

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Well, now, I wouldn't say that.
    I'm not saying that we have NO concerns at PF in the future, just fewer than at the other positions at this point in time.

Our PGs are a complete mess. I don't trust any of those guys right now, least of all DC. At SG, Duns is out and likely gone in the summer, Rush is his usual gutless self, and though PG will likely be fantastic one day, he's still playing like a rookie. Granger is playing SF like a guy who wishes he had been traded. And don't even get me started on Hibs at C.

Right now, Tyler at PF is the only guy who is bringing it every night and playing like he gives a damn.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler will benefit from the same two things the entire team needs:

1) Solid coaching. I hope Mike Brown if hired brings in a PF/C coach to work with Ty & Roy.

2) Veterans. i think alot of the BS going on with this team right now is due to a lack of leadership. Dunleavy and DJones are not the kind of vets im referring too. The way in which we need to acquire these players is more likely too come via trade than FA.

I nvr expected this team to compete for a championship this season, but i hoped for growth and maturity from the younger players.. right now not quite sure what the h*** is going on.

anyways. its good to see some of the hansbro critics jumping on board here. dare i say it, but i believe Hansbro has the potential to be a Carlos Boozer clone.

Banned

Michael Grady: Now entering for your Indiana Pacers, number 50, Tyler Hansbrough!

Frank Vogel to DC: Give the ball to Tyler and then count the seats in the arena.

DC: What?!?!

Frank Vogel: Don't sass me woman.

Charlie Sheen: "I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available. If you try it once, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I was really skeptical of Tyler's game translating to the league. I pretty much discounted anything from last year simply because of the weird illness/injury thing.

I was wrong.

It works. It's ugly, and I don't like it, but it's effective. I don't think he's the kind of guy you build a team around. I think he makes the ideal scoring punch off the bench. He's a high-volume scorer, who plays with extreme effort. Not many NBA teams have a guy like that.

I think he can be a starter, but he doesn't work next to Roy, so if he's going to be the starter, I would drop Roy to the bench. With what we have now, I don't think there is a big difference between being a starter and coming off the bench anyway.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have been pleasantly surprised because I never thought Hansbrough would be anything a Foster clone. I thought he would be the guy who hustles and gets some rebounds. I never thought much of his offensive game. He has definitely surprised me this year.

I am still a bit skeptical that he will be a full time starter until he works more on his low post game, but he is still young so there is definitely still time.

I'm just happy we've had a chance to vote in this poll. It sounded on here like his career was over in September.

Count me as one that was disappointed with the pick when it was announced, but I changed my opinion pretty quickly on him.

I don't think people realize how much he's improved since college, especially physically. Replays of his college games are on all the time. Go back and take a look at how much he's changed. Same awkward shots, but not nearly as solid in any other area.

Tyler would be perfect in a 6th man role. His attitude and hustle is exactly what this team needs.

Question is.. If Tyler continues to put up 15 and 7 ( 45%+ FGs ) from here on out do the Pacers still go after another PF in the off season?

I think Mayo is #1 on their list for sure.