Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

  1. #1
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I've been a Pacers fan for well over 14 years now. I've seen the ups and I've experienced the downs. During this time period I've also spent pretty much all of it online in the forums, whether it was the R.A.T.S. board or here in the Digest.

    Lately though its becoming harder and harder to go through the posts as frankly there is just too much over the top reaction to every single thing.

    Yes we're all emotionally invested in this team. Yes, we want them to succeed. Yes, we want better basketball to be associated with INDIANA.

    But can we please, take it down a notch? Why does everyone have to always go to the EXTREME end to make their point? There shouldn't have to be a "dark side" and a "light side" and you stick to your guns till the end.

    If one does not open their minds and learn from the other side's P.O.V. then they'll forever be stuck in the same circle going round and round.

    Its just sad to see people make one line comments that take everything out of context and continue to try to spin things to their way.

    Yes, this is a discussion forum and more often than not, people will try to pursuade their thoughts as the right one. But that doesn't mean you have to go to the EXTREME to make your point.

    In conclusion, no matter what happens, we're here for the same thing...which is to support INDIANA PACERS

    /rant

  2. The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2
    Member Drewtone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    508
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I don't think the forum has ever really gotten over the Invasion of the Cabbages Fanboi's.

    Prior to that, the only merchant of hubris was Sassan and he was woefully outnumbered.

    I also blame the lack of dancing fruit in Peck's Odd Thoughts for the past several years.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

    Bob Netolicky

  4. #3
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I think some have there moments, myself included where you're a little frustrated after 4-5 years of different roster moves and the same lateral improvement. We the team clearly isn't trying to compete, it can explode around here.

    I personally feel that there are only a handful of posters though that go overboard daily, and it's the same people.

    They expect us to be a championship caliber team, even though we don't have the talent. They wanted the young players to play, and now that they are playing and the outcome isn't as expected it's off with everyone's head.

    I would suggest using the ignore on those handful and not letting a couple teenagers ruin your pacersdigest experience

  5. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,966

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewtone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the forum has ever really gotten over the Invasion of the Cabbages Fanboi's.

    Prior to that, the only merchant of hubris was Sassan and he was woefully outnumbered.

    I also blame the lack of dancing fruit in Peck's Odd Thoughts for the past several years.
    This.

    Seriously, it's pretty dang simple. Don't get too high after a win, don't get too low after a loss. When you go back and look how giddy everyone was a month ago, it was pretty easy to see this coming.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,513

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This.

    Seriously, it's pretty dang simple. Don't get too high after a win, don't get too low after a loss. When you go back and look how giddy everyone was a month ago, it was pretty easy to see this coming.
    it wasn't easy to see coming. i was duped. i thought after the coaching change that the pacers were going to challenge for the 6th seed. looking back, i should have realized that all of those wins were against poor teams except Portland. i should have known that we would be losing games against good teams. the loss at detroit before the all star break was the beginning of the end. i should have known from that moment forward, that the Pacers were still the same losing team.

  8. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    The way the forum is going has bothered me also.

    Instead of putting people on ignore, the way I handle it is I no longer read every post, I simply surf the thread.

    If a thread is uninteresting I just stop reading it and go on to another thread. If the thread is an interesting topic, but there's ding bats posting in it, I surf the thread for people who's opinions I respect.

  9. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    International Counter bellisimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,113

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    it feels like it has gone from a forum to a witch hunt - looking for the next viable weakling to go after.

    Balance is what PD really needs. The same balance that we're asking from the players.

    The thing is there are definitely quite a lot of people on this forum and its really hard to separate them all into categories...

    you have those supporting the youth movement...
    you have those supporting the "win now at all costs" movement...
    you still have your anti-JOB people as well as others who will do their best to make it look like JOB wasn't really at fault

    and all these other sub groups that are continously bickering at each other all the while hanging every single player except for their "fan favorite" and not really seeing the faults of said player either.

    Objectivity has gone out the window lately - and that is what I miss the most from this board.

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,660

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its just sad to see people make one line comments that take everything out of context and continue to try to spin things to their way
    This more than anything, is my biggest peeve. So much of this sucks, that sucks, that player sucks. The use of such inflammatory comment about one of our own players is bad enough, but without so much as a hint of rational explanation, is the best sure-fire way to earn an "Ignore" from me.

    What I see is that many one liners, unless they appear in green and are meant merely for humor, are intended to do nothing more than heighten emotion by throwing gasoline on the fire.

    But what do I know, there are probably several folks that have me on ignore because they don't like that it takes me 200 words to say what they are able to say in 30.

    But I would say that "Ignore" is your friend... use it liberally, but only when it is "earned".

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,812

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Balance is what PD really needs. The same balance that we're asking from the players.
    The problem is that trying to point out balance can get you lumped in with one of the categories. "If'n you ain't fer us, yer agin us."
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  15. #10
    Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    25
    Posts
    611

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    "Objectivity has gone out the window lately - and that is what I miss the most from this board."

    I echo this sentiment but I'm kind of responsible for it too... I make in-game predictions that are never right (i.e. big night from our bigs last night) but ultimately I think I have a pretty level head on my shoulders.

    I'm a fan in it's purest form in that I don't necessarily understand every aspect of the franchise i.e. marketability, financials.. I just want them to win the NBA Championship lol.

    I think there are some really excellent minded folks on here that are even more so lurkers than myself, I've been slacking lately but I HAVE been trying to post more. Sadly I have used the ignore button.. 1 time. It's ramifications have yet to be realized.

    It just sucks when you're 3-8 in the last 11..

    Buuuut... We're still in the playoffs! This makes me happy, you have no idea
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

    Passion. Pride. Pacers.

    It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only


  16. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I would say that I am not happy with this losing, but guess what? JOB is not here anymore and the young players are getting playing time, I was asking for this to happen for like 3 years, now this is finally happening and we are losing because of inexperience, I think people need to relax and enjoy our guys growing, this is the year to find out what we have and what we need.

  17. #12
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get too high after a win, don't get too low after a loss.
    what are those again?

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,384

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way the forum is going has bothered me also.

    Instead of putting people on ignore, the way I handle it is I no longer read every post, I simply surf the thread.

    If a thread is uninteresting I just stop reading it and go on to another thread. If the thread is an interesting topic, but there's ding bats posting in it, I surf the thread for people who's opinions I respect.
    I don't even know how to add people to an ignore list.

    I just haven't been posting much because of all the negativity. The Pacer's frustrations with their teammates is spilling over onto our boards. It's even tough for me to find a positive when they are just playing bad basketball all around for over a week now. I just post less as a result. Keeps me from saying stuff I don't really mean in the heat of the moment and it's easy to feed that fire more from other forum members pouring out their frustrations.

    This team is playing terribly, but I guess the silver lining is is that they can't possibly get worse, right? So I'm sure they'll start to get better from hear on out, even if it's just baby steps.

    I think the Pacers need to simply reduce their turnovers. Even with their bad defense, they can still win most of these games, but it's the turnovers that are killing us.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:


  21. #14

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I think it's normal for people to get frustrated when they honestly believe their team should be performing much better than they are currently. I look at this team and say to myself, "they really aren't as bad as their record indicates," then I see some of the stupid things they do then ask myself, "How can I keep supporting this crap?"

    I take a moment to blow off steam then I'm right back in front of my TV screen watching the game regular like clock work, watching how players perform, how plays unfold, picking up on things I've seen perhaps a million times and wondering, "If I can see the defensive breakdown before the play even unfolds, why can't these guys figure it out?"

    Take for example, that last play by Hibbert in the 4Q w/under 2 mins when the Pacers were down by 7. Hibbert was posting up his man on the right Wing when Stephenen made a cut right in front of the basket. Instead of Roy passing him the ball, he instead attempts a cross-court pass which is picked off. So, instread of making the high percentage play which could have netted Stephenson the And-1, they instead go back down by 10 in a blink of an eye.

    Or how about the play earlier in the game where Paul George and (I believe it was) Jmac guarding the same guy in the paint. Philly kicks the ball out to the open man on the right Wing - Paul George's man! - and drains a 3. Even my wife was screaming, "Why the *** do they keep leaving guys open on the Wings? They do this all the time and keep getting burned every **** time!"

    All I could do is shake my head.

    So, yes, we get frustrated because we see our team repeating the same stupid mistakes over and over and over again. You keep asking yourself when are they going to learn, but then you realize how young this team is. Still, it's one thing to put the blame on a team's youthfulness from the players up to their new (interim) head coach, but then you remember this team has a history of leaving shooters unguarded.

    It's just frustrating that they always seem to self-destruct when they have a chance to take control of their own destiny but instead they tend to flounder and put their playoff hopes in the hands of the other teams around them, in this case they're lucky the Bobcats, as well as those teams below them, are struggling, too.

    The irony here is had they defended throughout the game as well as they did in the later part of the 3Q and in the 4Q in particular, they would have won this game. Just look at how tight the Ghone Squad defended compared to the starters. I'm thinking maybe it's time to start Hansborough, Price and George (despite his rookie mistakes) over Jmac, Collison and Brush.

    Not that Jmac has performed poorly, just that Hans seems to want it more than Jmac; and Hans is the better offensive threat.

    Vogel, you need to really think about shaking things up if the Pacers lose another one, buddy.

  22. #15
    Member Taterhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,288

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I have been fairly at peace, for me, since Dun left the line-up for one reason, I finally feel like we are moving in a new direction.

    What I can't stand is watching the same thing over and over again with the same results. It's time to let a new group of players make their mistakes and see if they can turn this thing around. But the old crew had their chance.

    Turn the page.

  23. #16
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I hope things get better for the team, the board, and the borderline fans after we make the playoffs. That's been the main goal for this third year. Even an eighth seed will show people that we deserve to be noticed, and that helps mostly if those borderline fans don't realize that the rest of the out-of-playoffs teams in the Eastern Conference are trash.

    And I also don't read very many topics anymore. I skim through looking for something that doesn't look like completely extreme or biased garbage.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  24. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    923

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    This place is a lot different than when I joined. There is a lot more hyperbole, questioning of intentions, and subtle shots at other posters. Its sad to read that the level headed folks are distancing themselves.

    I swear, the next time I have to read about how "anyone who knows anything about basketball and watches the games" would come to the same conclusion, or some derivative thereof, I'm going to lose it.

  25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to judicata For This Useful Post:


  26. #18
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I try to be a reasonable person on here and avoid nasty sarcasm towards other posters and their comments.

    I feel like the atmosphere on here isn't what it was even a few months ago. Everyone's been bitter towards each other.

    I enjoy coming on here and talking Pacers, but lately some people really need to chill out and have some respect for others and their opinions.

    As far as the team goes, we've gotten better and I'm happy to see some kind of progress from the last seasons of no success and I'm looking forward to what the future has in stock for us. We have some good young players with a bright future moving forward.
    Last edited by Trophy; 03-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

  27. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,631

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This place is a lot different than when I joined. There is a lot more hyperbole, questioning of intentions, and subtle shots at other posters. Its sad to read that the level headed folks are distancing themselves.


    I'm guilty of this to an extent. It frustrates me and it hits a certain point where I bite and derail otherwise worthwhile discussion.

    I would like to think that I am level headed, but I know sometimes (especially in game threads) I am guilty of many of the things people are lamenting in this thread. I too have noticed a change even since I joined a short time ago, and a lot of it has been mentioned in this thread. I will try to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    I agree totally. The Houston Rockets game thread was one of those straw that broke the camels back moments for me. I seriously considered not posting in PD for a while because of all the outrageous, end of the world posts that were in that thread. I never expected to see that much pessimism, especially post JOB.

    I myself have been guilty of some player bashing, namely Dun and Foster but that because I see tremendous flaws in their game that IMO hurt the team more often than not. Am I happy when they perform well, yeah I do. They play for my team. A young team who is going to both struggle and show flashes of brilliance. We've been patient this long as fans but it seems that the closer we get the less patient we are.

    We all need to breath! Myself included.
    Last edited by LA_Confidential; 03-09-2011 at 04:14 PM.

  30. #21
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by judicata View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This place is a lot different than when I joined. There is a lot more hyperbole, questioning of intentions, and subtle shots at other posters. Its sad to read that the level headed folks are distancing themselves.

    I swear, the next time I have to read about how "anyone who knows anything about basketball and watches the games" would come to the same conclusion, or some derivative thereof, I'm going to lose it.
    Well maybe if you knew basketball and watched the games you wouldn't feel this way I'm kidding of course.

    I agree with Bellisimo, its gotten pretty bad as of late. It started with O'Brien losing the team again so we all grabbed our pitchforks and torches (myself included). He gets fired and Vogel got out to a hot start. But now looking back at it we are starting to realize that maybe the schedule is why we played well at first under Vogel.

    It's frustrating to be a Pacers fan because we have seen this team play extremely well. But lately we have only seen them play absolutely terrible. It hurts to watch this team struggle because not only do we know what they are capable, this is a team of guys that fans generally like. Hibbert is a great guy and we hate to see him struggle. We all want Danny to be that all star on both ends of the court and when he's not its upsetting. These are a bunch of good guys, who have been good off the court (with Lance as the exception, but a lot of us understand he is a young kid still). So its not like we are just mad at the players to be mad at them. We are upset because we really want to see this group succeed. We went through the brawl era with players who weren't the greatest of people off the court. But this group is so far from that. It sucks to see them struggle.

    The young guys need more experience and I think we need a coach with more experience. I like Vogel, he's better than JOB, he says the right things. But I'm starting to wonder if he is in over his head now. It's still too soon to judge him, just like it was too soon to give him the full time job after the 7-1 start (which I may or may not have been for at the time). If he can get this team back on track he has a shot. But a defensive minded coach like Mike Brown is certainly seeming rather nice right now.

  31. #22
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    One of the things that I think is tough for people as far as the "don't get too high after a win and too low after a loss." mantra is that things have been so tough for us for so long that any glimmer of hope that we get people want to ride that out to the fullest and really who can blame them? Obviously there is a downside to it but for some I think would rather live with the evntuality of the bad times if it means they can really enjoy the very very few good times that we are able to experience.

  32. #23
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it feels like it has gone from a forum to a witch hunt - looking for the next viable weakling to go after.

    Objectivity has gone out the window lately - and that is what I miss the most from this board.
    Yep, now they've gone off the deep end about Granger.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  34. #24

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    We're getting exactly what we asked for. Enjoy it. The young players playing and veterans sitting. It's almost like this board is coaching the team right now since a certain coach was fired. I know the mistakes are hard to watch, but we're finding out alot about what we actually have and we weren't going to win anything soon anyway. Patience... something good may eventually come from this.
    “It is what we learn after we know it all that really counts” - John Wooden

  35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dlewyus For This Useful Post:


  36. #25

    Default Re: I'd like to ask the board for one thing...and one thing only

    PD seems more chaotic because this Pacers season has been more chaotic. Once the team settles down the board will back to normal.

    Things happen, people get riled up. I wouldn't worry about it. At least we have this many people who care about the team.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •