Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Players Only Meeting

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Players Only Meeting

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ust-right-ship

One of Frank Vogel's first challenges when he took over as interim coach of the Indiana Pacers was to get the players to buy into what he wanted to accomplish.

Vogel's next challenge is to keep a team together that's struggling.
    The Pacers are on a three-game losing streak and in danger of falling out of the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff race.

Vogel, a mild-mannered person who doesn't berate his players, must get his players back on the same page if they are to stay on track.
    "We have good people on our team," Vogel said. "We've got talented people. We stay together, and we keep working. It's that simple."

Players yelling in a closed locker room could be heard by those in the hallway after the Pacers' loss to the Houston Rockets on Saturday.
    Center Roy Hibbert said the players need to police themselves. Forward Danny Granger said the veterans, including himself, Jeff Foster and James Posey, have to help keep the team together.

They plan to have a players' only meeting at some point in the near future. "At some point, we're going to meet up and talk some things out, because too many things are sliding right now and we have a real tough month ahead of us and we need to get some things taken care of," Hibbert said.

Poor play, struggling with team chemistry and a tough schedule are not good for what is ahead for the Pacers. They host the Philadelphia 76ers, whom the Pacers are trying to catch for the seventh seed, at Conseco Fieldhouse on Tuesday before starting a three-game trip at Minnesota on Wednesday.

"We understand we have four more back-to-back situations this month and the last two, we've come out and laid an egg," Vogel said. "It's unacceptable. We have to do something about it. I evaluate every day whether I need to change things. I'll do that when I watch the tape."

Fewer minutes for Price

Rookie Lance Stephenson's playing time has impacted second-year point guard A.J. Price's minutes. Price, who almost led the Pacers to a come-from-behind victory over Phoenix last week, has not played more than 15 minutes in a game in the past four contests.

Vogel has been using Stephenson as the first point guard off the bench late in the first quarter. The coach is trying to keep a balance on whose minutes Stephenson takes between Price and starter Darren Collison.
    Stephenson has gotten extended minutes in two of the past three games because the Pacers were far behind.

"It comes with being professional," Price said. "You have to be ready when your time is called. When you get out there, you have to make the most of it and keep yourself on the court by any means necessary."
    Vogel likely will have to decide eventually whether he wants to continue to play all three every game.

"I don't think it's disrupted my rhythm," Price said. "I do think it's somewhat disrupted our team a little bit as far as the second unit, not necessarily being too familiar with how certain guys play. It's going to take some time. We have a month left and we have to make the most of it."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Pacers 4 Life.31 and only Pacers4Life's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Players Only Meeting

Let's hope the meeting was tonight.. Sheesh they've looked awful on most occasions of late. 20 games to sink or swim.. I hope the players are as tired as mediocrity as I am. We ARE better.. Than THIS, What we've seen the past 2 weeks or so is not all we're capable of.
    Reggie Miller is a God. Period.

Passion. Pride. Pacers.

It's ALWAYS Miller Time.
    #31 & Only

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacers4Life For This Useful Post:

I saw them interviewing players on the news a little while ago about it and Vogel seemed happy about it cause like some have said, and Vogel seemed to echo that sentiment. It at least shows they care enough to get things settled.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacers4Life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's hope the meeting was tonight.. Sheesh they've looked awful on most occasions of late. 20 games to sink or swim.. I hope the players are as tired as mediocrity as I am. We ARE better.. Than THIS, What we've seen the past 2 weeks or so is not all we're capable of.
    Bruno says it went down earlier today:
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

Maybe the discussion will entail PG stepping up over the other wing options, and, you know, getting their **** together for the rest of the season. A new coach can only do so much for the team; the players themselves need to have the passion to compete, no matter what happens.

Confidence is a huge issue with the guys, and they need to come together as brothers, and be able to be there for each other when things get down. Getting upset or getting down just because you're missing shots or getting bad calls isn't going to help anything. They need to look to each other for guidance and support, and be able to go on the court as one unit, not as five guys playing basketball together.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

hmmmmmmmm....................

I think it is interesting after obie left the way things have turned out after the so-called "honeymoon period" was over. It seems like the posters on this board have shifted and some to an extreme of holding the players accountable for the breakdowns. I recall that a few of the people that defended Obie would ask "At what point does it become the players fault for the problems?" Now that players are actually getting held accountable for their shortcomings? I feel like some are chomping at the bit to turn it around and say "well maybe it wasn't obies fault afterall." It seems like it's getting to two extremes where either nobody is responsible or everyone is responsible and there is very little room for any grey area on the subject.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who on this team has the clout to lead one of these meetings? Anyone think perhaps this kind of intra-team strife coming immediately after Lance's entry into the lineup is more than just a coincidence?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

some things are the coaches fault.

but what happened is houston is solely on the players. fault the coach for a bad scheme, but implementing that scheme is on the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Who on this team has the clout to lead one of these meetings? Anyone think perhaps this kind of intra-team strife coming immediately after Lance's entry into the lineup is more than just a coincidence?
    I don't know about the team but it seems like it has at least effected AJ just reading the last part of his quote from the article with the the star.

I don't think it's disrupted my rhythm," Price said. "I do think it's somewhat disrupted our team a little bit as far as the second unit, not necessarily being too familiar with how certain guys play. It's going to take some time. We have a month left and we have to make the most of it."

Seems like a bit of passive-aggressive comment to make, although true can be looked at something directed at Lance. I'd like to have heard how he said that instead of just reading it. It could very well be just an honest assessment of one of the problems by AJ but I'm sure he's a little frustrated with getting bumped in and out of the lineup by a 20 year old kid when it can be argued that AJ has at times outplayed Darren.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Who on this team has the clout to lead one of these meetings?
    Jeff Foster.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

That would be a stupid reason but I guess I could see players getting mad about losing mintues but thats just selfish. Much like how we play at times very selfish.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-07-2011 at 10:39 PM.

I can tell you Tyler isn't angry about Lance's minutes. Seems like Tyler is the beneficiary of every Lance pass.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Um.. I think it has more to do with our three game losing streak effecting their confidence.

Not Lance being the Anti-Christ.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I don't know about the team but it seems like it has at least effected AJ just reading the last part of his quote from the article with the the star.

I don't think it's disrupted my rhythm," Price said. "[B]I do think it's somewhat disrupted our team a little bit as far as the second unit, not necessarily being too familiar with how certain guys play. It's going to take some time. We have a month left and we have to make the most of it."

Seems like a bit of passive-aggressive comment to make, although true can be looked at something directed at Lance. I'd like to have heard how he said that instead of just reading it. It could very well be just an honest assessment of one of the problems by AJ but I'm sure he's a little frustrated with getting bumped in and out of the lineup by a 20 year old kid when it can be argued that AJ has at times outplayed Darren.
    AJ can be a little bit too honest at times. For the most part he keeps himself in check and stays PC. But he's said stuff like that a few times at Uconn.
    (He once said that the Providence team had been disrespectful after they won against Uconn. He wasn't trying to provide locker room fodder, he just simply said how he honestly felt..oops. )

Wouldn't surprise me if he is frustrated though. The term "professional" doesn't even begin to describe how AJ has acted these past two seasons. However, I don't even really think he's losing minutes. In our only close game, he played the normal amount of minutes he typically plays. I think it's just the timing of when his minutes are coming that he, and the rest of the team, need to adjust too.

Regardless, to me that's between AJ, Lance and Vogel (maybe DC, as he's lost minutes too)..not really something a team only meeting has to address.

As for Lance in general. I don't really know why there would be a team only meeting because Lance entered the lineup. I don't like his style of play, but he's played about as well as you could have expected given his circumstances..and doesn't appear to be stepping on anyone's toes.

edit: Nevermind. What AJ was saying in a very subtle manner was, Dahntay's not happy with Lance.
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-07-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Is there something you've heard?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

i think it was reported by Wells a scuffle insued saturday and lance djones had words.

lance has a ton of "hot dog" in him, i could see Bird maximizing lances value as a trade chip next season. lance has talent, but he has a long ways to go as well.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

At some point you have to let go and forget about the wins and losses that have already occurred and just go out and play like you want to win.... sense of urgency or desperateness... I don't care what you call it... They's guys work too hard to expect anything to be given or handed to them... Finish strong guys.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    i think it was reported by Wells a scuffle insued saturday and lance djones had words.

lance has a ton of "hot dog" in him, i could see Bird maximizing lances value as a trade chip next season. lance has talent, but he has a long ways to go as well.
    DJ talks too much for being as poor as he is. He acts like he is Kobe Stacy said he was getting on guys in the huddle. WTF would you listen to him lol?

Wasn't Dahntay the one that was doggin on Lance earlier in the year something along the lines of Lance saying he was the best player in New York and Dahntay said somethinga bout him riding them bench?

I am thinking there is some correlation to the trades that were trying to be made at the deadline. I wondered then if player morale would change. Team chemistry has not been the same since then.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MunciePacerBabe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    DJ talks too much for being as poor as he is. He acts like he is Kobe Stacy said he was getting on guys in the huddle. WTF would you listen to him lol?
    according to wells lance is not well liked by some of the pacer players. has something to do with a know it already type of attitude.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    according to wells lance is not well liked by some of the pacer players. has something to do with a know it already type of attitude.
    I dont doubt some players dont like each other but if it affects there on the floor game that is really un professional.

just like at your job you may not like people but you have to work with them to better the team.

http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/3/7...shadows-talent
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 03-07-2011 at 11:27 PM.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Mike Wells joined JMV on Monday afternoon and added some flavor to the Pacers' post-game drama in Houston. JMV prodded for details and Wells mentioned that he actually put his ear up to the door to try to determine who was yelling at whom but so many voices were involved he couldn't tell which words were directed at what players.

So what were they arguing about?

Defensive breakdowns and some maturity issues. You gotta guy like Lance Stephenson who is just getting some playing time and some of the veterans were upset with the way he was playing out there, as far as not wanting to give the ball up and also some of the passes he was making.
    You know, Lance is a very talented player and I'm never going to take that away from him. I just feel like he needs to grow up. He's very immature still. I've mentioned that to a number of people about his maturity problems and a lot of people say, well he's only 20 years old, but my response to that is, you may be 20 years old but at the same time there's a difference between acting 19 or 20 and acting 15 or 16 and I feel like Lance is more in that 15 to 16 range and again, where the leadership lacks, he thinks he can get away with that.
    Wells goes on to mention that Stephenson has rubbed teammates the wrong way because he doesn't want to listen to the older guys because he thinks he knows it all. Listen to the whole thing and you'll hear some strong words from Wells regarding Stephenson's approach to his initial chance to play in the NBA.

Personally, I've been holding my breath waiting for some negative impact to arise from Stephenson's rise in the playing rotation. At least I can exhale and shake my head. Heck, my face didn't even turn red waiting for something to pop up. As well as Stephenson has played on the court, there's much more to playing at the highest level than simply making plays with the ball in your hands.

So with Stephenson and Dahntay Jones creating the most noise in the Pacers' locker room, I can't see anything worthwhile emerging from the yelling. I can see Jones complaining about defensive breakdowns, but he has no point to make on dominating the ball and breaking the offense. That's all he does. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't.

Meanwhile, the actual playmakers who should have the loudest voice, who should raise their level of play and leadership remained drowned out. I mean, we're talking about two guys in Jones and Stephenson who play a mere portion of the minutes in a game, neither considered anyting more than a role player off the bench.

Where are Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert and Darren Collison? How about old pros, James Posey and Jeff Foster? They've already let a minor issue (seriously, no 20-year old rookie should make the locker room so crazy) fester into a problem. How long before they're desperate enough to do something about it and save the season?
    http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/3/7...shadows-talent

Looks like Dahntay Jones is mad that Lance doesn't give him the ball 5 out of 6 times down the floor unlike AJ Price. That's what this garbage is about. Dahntay doesn't get the ball enough. Shocker.

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MunciePacerBabe View Post
    I am thinking there is some correlation to the trades that were trying to be made at the deadline. I wondered then if player morale would change. Team chemistry has not been the same since then.
    Or perhaps its the fact that we played OKC and then Dallas/Houston on the road in a short stretch.

If anything, I think the potential trade could have brought the players closer together. I remember reading that several players were relieved Josh was still on the team.