Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

  1. #1
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Is This Benderís Year?

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_040924.html

    QUESTION
    OF THE DAY
    Conrad Brunner
    Q. As we all know, some years back the Pacers dealt veteran Antonio Davis for high school rookie Jonathan Bender. So far, Bender has not yet produced what was expected of him. Is this because of his lack of playing time or because of skill? I personally admire his attributes. He is a perimeter threat who can drive and has great athletic ability, not to mention he's a swift moving 7-footer, something the Pacers need. He has shown his real game at the high school level, as he was the highest scorer ever in the McDonald's All-American Game with 31 points. Do you think this will be the breakout year for Bender? If so, could he become a star in this league that only Pacers fans see? (From Samir in Newbury Park, CA)

    A. Iím not sure there ever has been a Pacers player who generated so much anticipation, frustration and opinion from fans as Bender. Part of it stems from the fact the player traded to acquire him, Davis, was such a popular and productive veteran who went on to become an All-Star in Toronto. For all his obvious talent, Bender has showed only occasional flashes of productivity. The primary reason for his relatively slow development has been neither a lack of playing time nor a lack of skill. It has been a lack of durability. He has missed 97 regular-season games the past two seasons due to a variety of injuries. Though the maladies have all been more of the nagging variety, and not considered chronic or long-term, they have had no less significant an impact.

    The opportunity for Bender to have a big season has never been greater. With Al Harrington gone, Bender currently stands as the primary backup to Ron Artest at small forward, and he also will be given a look as a backup power forward, so consistent minutes are on the table. He actually has grown an inch to 7-1 and, after a vigorous offseason program, has his weight up to 240. If Bender can show that he can indeed withstand the rigors of an NBA season, 2004-05 could be the most significant of his career.



  2. #2
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,492

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    What is Bender now... 23? 24yrs old? At what age does the human body cease growing UPWARD? I realize it grows outward for years. Especially if you can't push yourself away from the buffet table!

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  3. #3
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,495
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    With Benders latest growing spurt he could now play all 3 front court spots. If healthy he could prove to be exactly what this team needs.

    A front line player with 3 point range , and ability to go to the hole and block shots on defense.

    Remember how Jermaine , has steadfast said Bender has more ability than him? If this is true we may finally see it.

    The fact Bender , appears to be working hard this off season , with his best opportunity to play as an incentive is very impressive to me. Hopefully we will finally see the "unbelievable talent" we have heard so much about display it on the court on a nightly basis.

  4. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Holy ****. I can't believe he's still growing. Cool that he's 7'1", but I love that he's up to 240. He absolutely needed to do that. Great job, JB!

  5. #5
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    From 7'0" 219, to 7'1" 240. Sweet!

  6. #6
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,492

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Am I the only one skeptical of a mid-20's year old man growing another inch in height?

    NORMAL GROWTH

    Let's discuss the process of normal growth before we talk about its variations and abnormalities. While we all start out about the same size at birth, some of us end up tall and some end up short. Most of us wind up with about the same build as our parents - the characteristics a child inherits will reflect those of the parents.

    A baby is about 20 inches long at birth (give or take an inch) and will grow another 10 inches over the first year to reach about 30 inches by 1 year of age. During the second year of life, growth is half this fast, so at 2 years of age, the child will be about 35 inches tall. From 2 years until about 12 years of age, the child will grow at a steady rate of 2 to 2-1/2 inches a year. The growth spurt that goes along with adolescence begins at about age 11 in girls and 13 in boys. This pubertal growth spurt usually lasts 2 years and is accompanied by sexual development. Growth ceases between 16 and 18 years of age, when the growing ends of the bones fuse. A person's adult height is determined by many factors, including the heights of his or her parents, the age at which puberty begins and the length and vigor of the pubertal growth spurt. An x-ray of the hand or knee allows the doctor to assess the maturity of the bones (bone age) and estimate how much growth potential remains.

    http://www.hgfound.org/patterns.html
    -------------------------------------------------------------


    I'm more inclined to believe the only growth in height Bender has achieved is in the Pacer press. And since I am skeptical of that portion of the story then that makes me skeptical of the total weight gain as well... tho I believe another summer of working out and nature probably has seen him gain some weight. Not sure that we shouldn't be taking the total numbers with a grain of salt tho.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #7
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    For what it's worth, I grew four inches, from 5'8" to 6'0", when I was 19. I had to get an entirely new wardrobe over Thanksgiving Break when I was a freshman in college.

    I still think Bender has got to get to 250 and forget about playing on the perimeter.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  8. #8
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    It's not uncommon for men in their early 20's to continue to grow. My freshman basketball coach grew 3 inches after his senior year in college.

    Bender's will be 24 this January.

    I believe that he did grow an inch.

    He needs to be about 280 lbs., then I'll give him props.
    [edit=60=1096057648][/edit]

  9. #9
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,816

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    I'm with you Bball on one aspect & disagree with you on another.

    I fully beleive that this is Pacers P.R. spin.

    However the reason I beleive that it is spin is not because it's not true, it's because I beleive Jon was 7'1" tall last season. Whenever I would see Jon standing next to J.O. last season I could tell that Jon was just slightly taller than J.O. It could be the way they stand as well because J.O. sometimes does slouch.

    Also anybody who's seen Bender through the years can tell he has gone from string bean to somebody who has some significant arm strength. Now 240 might be a bit of a stretch but I'll withhold judgement on that till I see him. But he definatly has been hitting the weights since his rookie campaign. Why can't he get Foster to work with him?

    Anyway, yes, I believe they are trying to put a big spin because of increased expectations. But I think he has grown & actually grew last season.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  10. #10
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,492

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm with you Bball on one aspect & disagree with you on another.

    I fully beleive that this is Pacers P.R. spin.

    However the reason I beleive that it is spin is not because it's not true, it's because I beleive Jon was 7'1" tall last season. Whenever I would see Jon standing next to J.O. last season I could tell that Jon was just slightly taller than J.O. It could be the way they stand as well because J.O. sometimes does slouch.

    Also anybody who's seen Bender through the years can tell he has gone from string bean to somebody who has some significant arm strength. Now 240 might be a bit of a stretch but I'll withhold judgement on that till I see him. But he definatly has been hitting the weights since his rookie campaign. Why can't he get Foster to work with him?

    Anyway, yes, I believe they are trying to put a big spin because of increased expectations. But I think he has grown & actually grew last season.

    Actually, JO supposedly had a growth spurt here going from 6-11 to 7-0 and I was pretty skeptical of that 'growth' at the time the Pacers reported it as well (for the same reasons).

    Coincidence?

    These 'growth spurts' seem like Pacers hype to me. Just part of the annual summer story about how the players have been working out in the off-season and Benders imminent breakout year...

    I suppose anything is possible tho...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #11
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,985

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Jay, that is strange I was the complete opposite I have not grown since 6th grade. I grew 6 inches in the year precedding 6th grade, that is why I was a good Bball player in 6th, and 7th because I was taller than anyone. But it caught up with me.


    [edit=24=1096060191][/edit]

  12. #12
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,492

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jay, that is strage I was the complete opposite I have not grown since 6th grade. I grew 6 inches in the year precedding 6th grade, that is why I was a good Bball player in 6th, and 7th because I was taller than anyone. But it caught up with me.

    ,
    Well, judging by these Star reports, there's still time for you to grow some more.



    -Bball


    [edit=68=1096059907]Typo[/edit]
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  13. #13
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,359
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    I added an inch in height in college. (loooong ago)

    The crazy thing, in the last 4 years my feet have gone from 10!/2 to 12 EEEE. Maybe I need to lose weight and quit squashing them down.


    Perhaps we should have Dan Rather check out this story.
    [edit=99=1096060643][/edit]
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  14. #14
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jay, that is strange I was the complete opposite I have not grown since 6th grade. I grew 6 inches in the year precedding 6th grade, that is why I was a good Bball player in 6th, and 7th because I was taller than anyone. But it caught up with me.

    Yeah, as a sophomore, I was a 5'6" PG, but I was perpetually the backup because I was so small. So I retired. Had I known I would ever get this tall, I would have kept playing.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  15. #15
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,218

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Found this on HealthBoards.com:

    "Some men do continue to grow in their 20s, but those seem to be tall men"


    and thisfrom Time Magazine, Oct. 14, 1996:

    "Once an inhibitor is removed--for example, an undernourished child begins to be well fed--some of the lost growth can be recovered. And deprivation in the adolescent spurt leads to extension of the normal growth period by as much as several years, into the early 20s."
    .

    .

    .

    .


    ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

  16. #16
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    So does this mean that he's going to be taking 25-footers and throwing the ball away at an even LARGER size now?

    Size only matters if you have a back-to-the-basket post game. I'm not even sure Bender knows what that IS.

    In other news, Darko Milicic is now 7'2" and 265lbs. Look out, NBA

    Instead of hitting the weights, maybe Bender should lock himself in a video room for four months and not come out until he learns SOMETHING about the game of basketball....
    [edit=64=1096077603][/edit]
    [edit=64=1096078513][/edit]

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  17. #17
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Forget the growth in height... I want to know if his hands grew any! That's his biggest problem physically right now... his hands are too small.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  18. #18
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So does this mean that he's going to be taking 25-footers and throwing the ball away at an even LARGER size now?

    Size only matters if you have a back-to-the-basket post game. I'm not even sure Bender knows what that IS.

    In other news, Darko Milicic is now 7'2" and 265lbs. Look out, NBA

    Instead of hitting the weights, maybe Bender should lock himself in a video room for four months and not come out until he learns SOMETHING about the game of basketball....

    As bad as I want to tell you to stick it...what you say is truth...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  19. #19
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Darko and Bender. Which one is less of a bust, we may never know...
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  20. #20
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    I for one beleive a little of it. My dad grew an inch and a half when after he was married(28). Of course it was a little abnormal and I guess it runs in the family because his sister(my aunt) did the same thing except she only grew an inch. But a little of it is the Pacer hype.

  21. #21
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,263

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Dennis Rodman went from 5'11" to 6'8" from age 18 to age 23.


    Not saying its not happening, I'm saying that I couldnt be more unimpressed. Its not like his BRAIN grew with the rest of his body.....

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  22. #22
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So does this mean that he's going to be taking 25-footers and throwing the ball away at an even LARGER size now?

    Size only matters if you have a back-to-the-basket post game. I'm not even sure Bender knows what that IS.

    In other news, Darko Milicic is now 7'2" and 265lbs. Look out, NBA

    Instead of hitting the weights, maybe Bender should lock himself in a video room for four months and not come out until he learns SOMETHING about the game of basketball....
    I've been ignoring Kstat's blatant cynicism for a while, some of the time its justified with homerism, but saying that height only advantages low post players is abit of a stretch. Bender's natural position would have to be SF, even with Ron Artest guarding him he has 5' on his defender. Thats almost Yao over Shaq difference in height. Put that in a shooter with Bender's touch and it must mean a whole lot more good looks on his jumper. I think the isolation play at the end of 1/4ers that Carlisle would run for Bender could be getting abit more of a show this season.
    [edit=122=1096109486][/edit]

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So does this mean that he's going to be taking 25-footers and throwing the ball away at an even LARGER size now?

    Size only matters if you have a back-to-the-basket post game. I'm not even sure Bender knows what that IS.

    In other news, Darko Milicic is now 7'2" and 265lbs. Look out, NBA

    Instead of hitting the weights, maybe Bender should lock himself in a video room for four months and not come out until he learns SOMETHING about the game of basketball....
    I've been ignoring Kstat's blatant cynicism for a while, some of the time its justified with homerism, but saying that height only advantages low post players is abit of a stretch. Bender's natural position would have to be SF, even with Ron Artest guarding him he has 5' on his defender. Thats almost Yao over Shaq difference in height. Put that in a shooter with Bender's touch and it must mean a whole lot more good looks on his jumper. I think the isolation play at the end of 1/4ers that Carlisle would run for Bender could be getting abit more of a show this season.
    kstat says that height means nothing unless Bender fixes the enormous, fundamental holes in his game. kstat is absolutely correct - Bender's game is badly flawed and he hasn't shown me anything over the past several years to indicate that will change.

    So you say Bender's position is SF? You realize you've just relegated him to a career as a relatively ineffective bit role player. A player who can't dribble against pressure, can't shoot against pressure and is regularly burned on defense because he isn't quick enough to keep up with the average NBA SF.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  24. #24

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    In other news, Darko Milicic is now 7'2" and 265lbs. Look out, NBA


    Now he can stand up to the job of passing out really plush towels to all of the real players, instead of just the lightweight Motel-6-type towels he handed ot and waved last year.

    He can also handle passing out water bottles that are filled ALL OF THE WAY!



    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

  25. #25
    ENABEABLER MagicRat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,852

    Default Re: Bender now 7'1, and 240 pounds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its not like his BRAIN grew with the rest of his body.....
    Too bad for you and Ben Wallace you're wrong. After a summer of crossword puzzles, cranium games and LeapPad books, Bender 's melon is now Charlie Brown-sized..........




    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •