Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lay off the big fella!!!!!!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lay off the big fella!!!!!!!!!

In a NBA where guys routinely loaf and blatantly show that they could really couldn't care less, Roy Hibbert has done everything asked of him. You can see great potential in him. He gives it everything he's got and nobody can really argue that. And I appreciate that, so consider this a Roy Hibbert appreciation thread. If we can't accept the players who truly give it their all then what kind of fans are we? If that's the case they deserve better and I won't blame them when they look elsewhere. I think fans can truly influence a players development by the support they show him when they are struggling, and we lose sight of our job as fans at times.

How many players on this team can you honestly say has shown as much passion than Roy?

How many guys on the team even come close by comparison?

He is only 23 years old. And let me fill everyone in on a little secret about Roy......HE IS NOT A BANGER!!!!!! He never has been, and he never will be. When you play someone out of their comfort zone it's not a recipe for success, IMO. Why does everyone expect him to succeed? Why does he even have to be a banger? He still brings a lot of great skills to the game. I just don't get it. Even if he turns out to be a back up he could be a pretty darn good one.

I think where Roy can truly excel in the NBA as an offensive force is by drawing the other teams center away from the basket. He has a sweet looking jump shot that he rarely uses out to college three. He needs to get in the gym and perfect it. He has spent so much time working on post moves, foot work, position defense and his body that he hasn't been able to put in the time working on his outside shot over the last few years. I want Roy to model his game more after a guy like Robert Parish offensively. He needs to utilize his height and high release more, it could be a great weapon. And then he can use his passing ability off of that. So he might not be a great low post center, there is nothing wrong with that.

We need a low post PF that can score. The Pacers have been saying it for a long time. That will allow Roy to play a more natural position for him. And I guarantee you this summer he works on his jump shot and comes back next year looking better than ever. So give him some time. He has done every thing asked of him since he's been here. That should be worth something to us as fans.

He is not the problem with this team. He's the least of them.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lay off the big fella!!!!!!!!!

actually, Roy is 24.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    actually, Roy is 24.
    Oh well start digging the grave. My bad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

BBQ

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

you know reading the phrases that Roy uses in his interviews - I get the feeling that he actually reads the Pacers Digest.

Big Fella - if you reading these forums, I suggest you to stop it! Its no good for you! Sure we might be as interesting as a car accident and you can't look away as it happens, but its best in the long term if you don't let the people of the forum influence your game and your mind!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bellisimo For This Useful Post:

Roy has spent less than a year in his current body. He has been improving every season, although he has been very up and down this season. The mood swings on this board are ridicules. Within the last week someone was running a thread to proclaim Roys issues fully the old coaches fault, now he is a new scapegoat.

I don't know how valid the "big men take longer to develop" theory is but there have been massive improvements from the big fella. Not long ago he couldn't stay on the court with out fouling now he can, that alone is enough improvement to not give up on the guy.

I wish there was a way to separate intelligent conversations about the organizations strategy and future, from the shorty sighted, reactionary, blow everything out of proportion, horribly unstable, fandamonium.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    you know reading the phrases that Roy uses in his interviews - I get the feeling that he actually reads the Pacers Digest.

Big Fella - if you reading these forums, I suggest you to stop it! Its no good for you! Sure we might be as interesting as a car accident and you can't look away as it happens, but its best in the long term if you don't let the people of the forum influence your game and your mind!
    I hope Darren collison doesnt read Pacers Digest often.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    Roy has spent less than a year in his current body.
    Anybody a Heavy Metal (the movie) fan? Cue John Candy:

"Then, a body started to re-form around me. Only it wasn't my body - this one had muscles ... It was a great body, but I wasn't too crazy about the face."

http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/heavy_metal.html

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Thanks Tater,

I love the emotion and passion of Roy. The sad part is his shot is just a tiny bit off, but he's almost there and I think with his hard work he'll get into a rhythym.

Roy, if you do read this forum, keep doing what you're doing and the success will follow.

I'm going to say this very succinctly. Either the Pacers need to get a power forward to complement Roy or the Pacers need to trade Roy.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm going to say this very succinctly. Either the Pacers need to get a power forward to complement Roy or the Pacers need to trade Roy.
    What type of PF would you look for, UB?
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    What type of PF would you look for, UB?
    Charles Barkley or Rodman type ... whoever would fit that mold..Im not sure

figured I wouldn't be cliche' lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

About the only pf out there next year with the size and scoring ability and rebounding
    ability is Zach Randolph. The risk is high and the reward could also be high and the price will be high also. Everyone else is a short pf with limitations. Is there anyone else out there?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Agreed. I'm not trying to dwell on past glory but the best we can hope for out of Roy is a Rik Smits type career. Rik was never a banger, or great rebounder (never averaged more than 7 a game in his career), but at his peak he was very efficient offensively.

In order for a player like that to be optimally effective, he needs a "banger" to compliment him - a Dale/Antonio Davis type. Someone who can help compensate for his defensive deficiencies and get the tough boards that Roy can't, and allows him to concentrate on doing the things he does best: scoring and passing out of the high post.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Professor S For This Useful Post:

MTM

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    About the only pf out there next year with the size and scoring ability and rebounding
    ability is Zach Randolph. The risk is high and the reward could also be high and the price will be high also. Everyone else is a short pf with limitations. Is there anyone else out there?
    I'm fully aboard the Z-Bo bandwagon, but Nene also fits the bill.

Ummm...no. The words "Trade Hibbert" should never be an option, unless we're getting Dwight Howard. With Roy's passion, desire to be better, and potential, there's not a center in the NBA that I would trade him for. You do realize that he's 8th in scoring among centers? Personally, the only thing that Roy needs to work on is his lower body strength, so he's not pushed off the blocks by stronger opponents.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    Agreed. I'm not trying to dwell on past glory but the best we can hope for out of Roy is a Rik Smits type career. Rik was never a banger, or great rebounder (never averaged more than 7 a game in his career), but at his peak he was very efficient offensively.

In order for a player like that to be optimally effective, he needs a "banger" to compliment him - a Dale/Antonio Davis type. Someone who can help compensate for his defensive deficiencies and get the tough boards that Roy can't, and allows him to concentrate on doing the things he does best: scoring and passing out of the high post.
    And blocking shots...

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    I'm fully aboard the Z-Bo bandwagon, but Nene also fits the bill.
    Nene could help but he is a center if I am not mistaken. Can he play along side Roy as a powerforward?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Ummm...no. The words "Trade Hibbert" should never be an option, unless we're getting Dwight Howard. With Roy's passion, desire to be better, and potential, there's not a center in the NBA that I would trade him for. You do realize that he's 8th in scoring among centers? Personally, the only thing that Roy needs to work on is his lower body strength, so he's not pushed off the blocks by stronger opponents.

I'm going to be very direct again.

Three things working agaisnt Roy. I do not think he is mentally strong (he lets his emotions get the best of him) he has trouble moving his feet (gets killed on pick and rolls for example) and yet he isn't strong (he gets pushed around rather easily, see Chuch Hayes) That is not a good combination.

Pacers need a great defensive power forward.

Roy is basically Rik Smits
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Statistics compared to centers

13th in points per game
    8th in assists per game
    8th in blocks per game
    15th in rebounds per game

If everyone starter on the team was this high ranked among their position players, the team would be great. (Obviously I know it wouldn't happen) These statistics are even using the unqualified players such as Verajao and Noah who have only played around 35 games.

But I agree. Lay off the big fella.
    DG for 3

Sports Logo Sports Logo

two things worth mentioning:

1) i think big fella needs a coach who could work with him year round. instead of only a week or two in the summer. as hard as Roy works in the summer, it would be a wise investment from our FO.

2) with Obrien out of the picture and a return to more traditional basketball; Roy will need to add some weight in the offseason so he is not as likely to be pushed around in the post.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Three things working agaisnt Roy. I do not think he is mentally strong (he lets his emotions get the best of him) he has trouble moving his feet (gets killed on pick and rolls for example) and yet he isn't strong (he gets pushed around rather easily, see Chuch Hayes) That is not a good combination.

Roy is not basically RikSmits. i loved the dunking dutchman as much as anyone but he never blocked shots, and Smits was as soft as could be down low, not a knock on him it was just his style of play. Smits was a much better jump shooter, but Roy is much better down low, or will be anyways by the time his career is over.

Roy also rebounds and plays much better defense than Smits ever did.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:

Alittle perspective here...

This is only Roy's 2nd-year in the NBA. If anyone was expecting him to perform more like Shaq or Dwight Howard especially with him small frame, you've been very dillusional.

Roy Hibbert has shown tremendous improvement in his game since last year, but that doesn't mean he still doesn't have work to do. I'll give you two examples of the adjustments Hibbert has made in his game since December:

1. He's started to put himself in better position under the basket to receive the ball and he has shortened his approach to the basket to be more effective. Before, he would catch the ball with his back to the basket and be closer to the baseline yet still be a good 4-5 ft from the basket. That would force him to make his move toward the defense. He knew the held defense would come, but most times he either try a hook shot over the defense or he'd try to power through the defense. That last part was troubling because he wouldn't try to move his defender, not with an elbow swipe, not even with a bump. He's just take one or two steps, go into his hook motion (usually with his right-hand) and believe that his height advantage really was his best asset. But what the defense started to do was double him or bump him. Both worked to disrupt his approach to the basket as he went into his shooting motion. So, what did Hibbert do to adjust to the defense? He started catching the ball closer to the basket. This shorted his approach and allowed him to get into his hook shot faster. He also started moving the ball "between the defenders". It's something he learned from Carlos Boozer. How do I know this? Because after the Pacers faced the Bulls the first time this season and Boozer beat him with his hesitation moves underneath, the very next game Roy started adding that move to his game. It proved effective.

2. Roy has started to use more "up and over" moves especially when attacking the basket in traffic. He's still struggling with it, but atleast he's trying to add more flare to his game. The problem here is Roy's still "small" (as in total body mass) compared to most other Centers. So, he still gets pushed around alot in the paint. A bump here or there throws him off alittle too easily for my taste, but hopefully he'll put on some weight he can live with over the summer and come back stronger.

There are, however, two things I would suggest Roy Hibbert worked on over the summer:

1) Foot speed. IMO, he's still much too slow to get his shot off despite the change in where he catches the ball in the paint. He needs to be quicker.

2) Playing above the rim. Throw it down with authority, Big Fella! Clearly, Roy can dunk, but he doesn't take the ball to the rack with authority often enough, IMO. I've seen plenty of times where I thought he was going to throw it down, but instead he would tip the ball in (or tip at it). Bill Walton gave Roy Hibbert some of the best advice I think one good veteran Center could give his student - OWN THE PAINT! You're 7' tall; use that height big guy! That's what guys the likes of Shaq (in his prime), Dwight Howard and Amare Stoudemire do. They dominate or atleast try to humiliate you at the rim no matter whose house they're in. I believe one day Roy Hibbert can become a dominate force in the NBA, but unlike the three big men I've mentioned herein, they came by their physique naturally; all 3 were born big. Roy just has height right now and not much strength in mass. He'll get there, but it's just going to take time and a few changes in his diet and workout regime. He'll get there.

Banned

I agree, reason why I don't think that either of the Power Forwards that are going to be free agents next year can play with him.

Banned

Exactly.

I think we should trade him.