Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

David West, a New Jersey native who can become a free agent this summer, admits that the Nets have become an interesting option with the addition of Deron Williams.

"I think that team, obviously, is a lot more interesting than they were. They were so young before they made that deal, and nobody saw that deal coming. I don’t know," West said when asked about the possibility of playing for his hometown team.

"I know it's a team that has some (cap) space and a need, but it's ... like I said, when the time comes, we’ll see what's out there. Again, at this point in my career, money won't really be the number one (criterion)."

West added that a majority of his family has moved out of the area and winning will be his main priority.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1Fr0E7CR4
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

Regardless of whether they get West or not, New Jersey is going to become the next hot destination for free agents and will probably form a super team of some sort of their own within the next 3-4 years. This super team could very well eventually include Dwight Howard.

Eventually, there will be an unbreakable axis in the East of Miami, New York, Boston, and Brooklyn. The rest of the conference will have to put together a great mix of team-oriented guys that are the type of players who make up for their individual weakness with great collective play to even stand a chance. Even that will be incredibly different.

And the CBA plays little role in this. NBA players have proven that they care most about the location of a franchise when they're free agents. Whether or not it is a "winning" franchise matters little as all these hot cities will eventually have a winning franchise if good players are going there.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I know it's a team [NJ] that has some (cap) space and a need, but it's ... like I said, when the time comes, we’ll see what's out there. Again, at this point in my career, money won't really be the number one (criterion)."

West added that a majority of his family has moved out of the area and winning will be his main priority.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1Fr0E7CR4
    Oh, joy of joys. Me thinks we are screwed in any hopes to get West.

This really made my day. I suppose our only hope is to try to entice him by significantly overpaying him if he is the player the Pacers want.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Oh, joy of joys. Me thinks we are screwed in any hopes to get West.

This really made my day. I suppose our only hope is to try to entice him by significantly overpaying him if he is the player the Pacers want.
    Did you ever think we had any other hope?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Deron decides he won't stay in NJ, West won't go there.

History beckons. Jared Sullinger's Avatar

Hometown team and a chance to play with an elite point guard? Sounds good to me.

If only there were a talented power forward out there who we could play the "hometown team" card with...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jared Sullinger For This Useful Post:

I think David West's decision will say a lot about what Chris Paul may be intending to do.

If Hornets fail to make the playoffs, I expect Paul and West to gone by the end of next year.

The CBA (if no lockout) and the fact that the Pacers will have cap space for the 1st time in YEARS, will make this a very exciting and nerve wrecking offseason

Banned

I hope NJ gets him we don't need to overpay for a guy like him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Hometown team and a chance to play with an elite point guard? Sounds good to me.

If only there were a talented power forward out there That is in trouble with the law every other year and can't play a lick of defense who we could play the "hometown team" card with...
    fixed
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-06-2011 at 05:55 PM.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Vnzla, I think it's ironic that you hate our lack of talent yet you are extremely picky about which power forwards you want. You won't take David West, a two time all star. You won't take Zach Randolph, who averages 20 and 13. Yet you'll take Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor who are extremely overpaid and they aren't even that good.

Why exactly? If you're reasoning is Roy Hibbert than that is not good reasoning because he is not good enough to build your team around.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Vnzla, I think it's ironic that you hate our lack of talent yet you are extremely picky about which power forwards you want. You won't take David West, a two time all star. You won't take Zach Randolph, who averages 20 and 13. Yet you'll take Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor who are extremely overpaid and they aren't even that good.

Why exactly? If you're reasoning is Roy Hibbert than that is not good reasoning because he is not good enough to build your team around.
    It's funny just how picky people are on here. They are all upset that we lose games, yet when looking to add a FA this off season who will help this team they seem to rather hold out for the next Karl Malone...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Regardless of whether they get West or not, New Jersey is going to become the next hot destination for free agents and will probably form a super team of some sort of their own within the next 3-4 years. This super team could very well eventually include Dwight Howard.

Eventually, there will be an unbreakable axis in the East of Miami, New York, Boston, and Brooklyn. The rest of the conference will have to put together a great mix of team-oriented guys that are the type of players who make up for their individual weakness with great collective play to even stand a chance. Even that will be incredibly different.

And the CBA plays little role in this. NBA players have proven that they care most about the location of a franchise when they're free agents. Whether or not it is a "winning" franchise matters little as all these hot cities will eventually have a winning franchise if good players are going there.
    Make that Miami, New York, Brooklyn and Chicago.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Banned

I've been saying this forever, if we want Roy to be the center of the future we need to have an enforcer/garbage man in the power forward position, somebody that is going to guard the other team best big and somebody that is going to rebound, Dwest is not a good defender and is not that good of a rebounder, Zach R is good at rebounding but he sucks at D and his game is based in playing inside, taking space for Roy.

Roy,Zach and Dwest pretty much need an enforcer/Garbage man to play next to them, Dwest has that in Okafor in NO, Zach has Marc next to him and Roy has Josh :

NJ is going to offer stiff competition to us in next years free agent market. We have more cap room then they do but they're still one of the few teams that have enough room under the cap to sign a max player as the cba now stands.
    As far as West goes I'd love to have him and he'd be an upgrade but he's not on the top of my list.
    I'd much rather have a 28 yr old Nene at 6'11" and 260 then I would a 30 yr old West at 6"9" and 240. Of course there we'll have competition for Nene as well if he doesn't sign an extension with the Nuggets.
    I'm hoping for the toughest cba possible that will cause fire sales throughout the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'd much rather have a 28 yr old Nene at 6'11" and 260 then I would a 30 yr old West at 6"9" and 240. Of course there we'll have competition for Nene as well if he doesn't sign an extension with the Nuggets.
    Fair point. You know, people are always talking about what will fit with Hibbert and all that...but you know what? How many teams do you think would be interested in a 7-2 center not even 25 years old with loads of potential? He's a hell of a trade chip. I love the guy's attitude...but no one on this team is untouchable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    It's funny just how picky people are on here. They are all upset that we lose games, yet when looking to add a FA this off season who will help this team they seem to rather hold out for the next Karl Malone...
    Joe Dumars decided not be that picky and ended up signing Villanueva and Gordon for huge money, the Sixers signed a similar guy than Dwest in Ebrand and they can't move the guy.

The Pacers have waited five years to have cap space, they better be picky if they want this team to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    Fair point. You know, people are always talking about what will fit with Hibbert and all that...but you know what? How many teams do you think would be interested in a 7-2 center not even 25 years old with loads of potential? He's a hell of a trade chip. I love the guy's attitude...but no one on this team is untouchable.
    I think Nene would be a great fit with Hibbert in the starting lineup, I don't want to give up on Hibbert. We need a big man that can offset some of Roy's weaknesses in the paint. I think Nene could be that man.

I would love Nene here, but it was established at the trade deadline that he has tremendous value around the league.. Twenty-plus teams called for him minutes after they traded Carmelo away.

I don't think that we have the pieces (Well, we may have the pieces, but we aren't wanting to give them away with good reason).

I would love Nene here, but it was established at the trade deadline that he has tremendous value around the league.. Twenty-plus teams called for him minutes after they traded Carmelo away.

I don't think that we have the pieces (Well, we may have the pieces, but we aren't wanting to give them away with good reason).
    If Nene opts out and I think that he will, we won't have to worry about trade pieces. We'll just have to compete with the few teams under the cap that can offer him a contract of which we'll still have the Nuggets and New Jersey to compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Joe Dumars decided not be that picky and ended up signing Villanueva and Gordon for huge money, the Sixers signed a similar guy than Dwest in Ebrand and they can't move the guy.

The Pacers have waited five years to have cap space, they better be picky if they want this team to be better.
    It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph. Gordon and Villanueva are role players on the Pacers while West and Randolph are the best players on the Pacers.

Elton Brand has health issues that neither power forwards this summer have.

Apples to oranges.. Bigtime. Right now we need talent, not fits for the team. Not to even mention that Zach and West are good/great fits for us.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph.
    I agree with Charlie V, but not really with Gordon. Gordon was a gamer in Chicago and makes much more sense than what Charlie V did.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I've been saying this forever, if we want Roy to be the center of the future we need to have an enforcer/garbage man in the power forward position, somebody that is going to guard the other team best big and somebody that is going to rebound, Dwest is not a good defender and is not that good of a rebounder, Zach R is good at rebounding but he sucks at D and his game is based in playing inside, taking space for Roy.

Roy,Zach and Dwest pretty much need an enforcer/Garbage man to play next to them, Dwest has that in Okafor in NO, Zach has Marc next to him and Roy has Josh :
    Marc Gasol is a skilled big not a garabge man. Actually pretty much the opposite of a garbage man. Zach is the one who does the diry work in MEMPHIS just saying.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph. Gordon and Villanueva are role players on the Pacers while West and Randolph are the best players on the Pacers.

Apples to oranges.. Bigtime. Right now we need talent, not fits for the team. Not to even mention that Zach and West are good/great fits for us.
    And Elton Brand is still averaging 15 and 8 this year. Not like he is terrible.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

History beckons. Jared Sullinger's Avatar

Well said.

By the way─Elton Brand's currently the leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker on a team that's above .500 and has been on fire the past two months.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Sullinger For This Useful Post:

Banned

Gordon was a big piece in Chicago, the same with Villanueva in Milwaukee I don't know were you get the role player thing from? do you think Detroit is stupid enough to sign guys they expect to be role players for that money?

By the way how you know that two guys that are close to 30 years old are not going to have any health issues?

I agree with you that we need talent, but overpaying for somebody that doesn't fit the team is not right way to do it.