View Poll Results: Specific Head Coach Candidates

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Frank Vogel

    23 25.84%
  • Mike Brown

    41 46.07%
  • Jeff Van Gundy

    11 12.36%
  • Lawrence Frank (PacersPride)

    12 13.48%
  • Mark Jackson (PacersPride)

    10 11.24%
  • Whoever the front office picks. (Will Galen)

    6 6.74%
  • Undecided (Eleazar)

    8 8.99%
  • rick adelman (xIndyFan)

    4 4.49%
  • Mike Woodson (Scot Pollard)

    5 5.62%
  • Nate McMillen (PacersPride)

    3 3.37%
  • ME!!!! (pacer4ever)

    1 1.12%
  • Chuck Conners Person (QuickRelease)

    4 4.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: head coaching position

  1. #1
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,218

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default head coaching position

    I really like Vogel and think he has a bright future in this league down the road. Not sure he is the right fit though for the Indiana Pacers at this time. What I mean by this is, we have several young players and right now we need an established coach who can teach these young guys the game. Vogel would be more ideally suited for a veteran team.

    Therefore, i have a two-fold question here:

    1) Who is a specific coach you are hoping will be considered or even hired for the Pacers next year?

    2) What type of coach are you hoping is hired, ie. a fast break 3pt shooting type of coach, balanced inside-out, defensive, offensive coach???

    I will add a few coaching candidates im hoping to see considered, but feel welcome to add your own if you have a few in mind.

    I will allow the multi-vote option for this poll.
    Last edited by PacersPride; 03-05-2011 at 04:58 PM.

  2. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I like Mike Brown, Jeff Van Gundy (which isn't going to happen), and Kevin McHale. Not entirely opposed to Bill Laimbeer.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,218

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: head coaching position

    your right, VanGundy isnt really an option, and i hope Laimbeer is not hired here, nvr really liked that guy much.

    though i will admit, i like the style he brings. hoping for a defensive minded coach. i really like Rick Calisles style of coaching, maybe too much micromanaging but i cant blame the guy with that group.

    i think mike brown is the obvious hire for next season.

  5. #4
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I have a hunch that if we picked up Mike Brown he would get annoying.. He would do stupid things that Obie would do like mess up rotations, not play the young guys, play guys like Posey and TJ for no reason, etc..

    I don't know why I have this hunch, but I do.

    I've somewhat softened by stance on Vogel because he won't start George and he has Brandon/Mike playing too many minutes. On top of that I just think that he has too much trust in our guys to a point that it kind of costs us. For example, in the GSW game he put the starters back in and they blew the lead, yet he still closed with them. It worked out in our favor, but if we were playing a good team it wouldn't have. I will be mad if he's not back, but I won't go ape **** like I would have about 8 games ago.

    JVG and Mark Jackson are not options and I have no clue about Bill. I don't want Lawrence Frank either as he just isn't a sexy choice at all. He wouldn't help us at all.. Just a guy to plug a hole.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 03-05-2011 at 05:20 PM.

  6. #5
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Vogel with some solid assistants on the bench is intriguing to me. It's too early to make the hire though. We need to see the summer landscape.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I'm for who ever the front office picks.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Anyone but Mike Brown. Dude doesn't coach, he just sits and watches.

  11. #8
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,218

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vogel with some solid assistants on the bench is intriguing to me. It's too early to make the hire though. We need to see the summer landscape.
    Thats a good idea as well. I realize its early, but the glaring weakness this team seems to have is experience across the board.

    Im not sold on Mike Brown at all, but i can see the FO taking a look at him since he was an assistant for Carlisle and reportedly well respected within the organization.

  12. #9

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I voted for Mike Brown and here's why. He's respected by today's NBA
    players (well, other than LBJ, who doesn't really allow himself to 'be
    coached' by anyone).

    I'm not and have never really been a big Granger fan. But it appears
    he's here to stay. Assuming so, Brown is a guy I can see getting
    Granger to play his arse off and meet his potential in every area
    of the game.

    If he's gonna be the Pacers' lead dog, we need a HC who can get the
    most out of him.

    That aside, Brown is a very good defensive coach. He's weaker on the
    offensive end, but a strong, offensive lead assistant can balance that
    out.

  13. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    7,935

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I'm not sold on anyone at this point. My only opinion is that Vogel should be guaranteed an interview and should be taken seriously as the future head coach. He has done enough in my opinion to earn that right.

  14. #11
    bleed Blue & Gold PacersPride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,218

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: head coaching position

    if Nate McMillen became available this offseason I would add him to the list as well.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersPride For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sold on anyone at this point. My only opinion is that Vogel should be guaranteed an interview and should be taken seriously as the future head coach. He has done enough in my opinion to earn that right.
    It's not his fault this team has been losing. We need to improve the roster.

    PS: Before anyone says "how is it not Vogel's fault, when you say it was O'Brien's?", we all knew that his style would never work. Vogel is letting the players play the way they want, and it is a good strategy. Plus, players like him. Not so much for O'Brien.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,542

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Vogel with better talent on the roster.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm for who ever the front office picks.
    After seeing the prior choice of O'Brien, and the length of time they stuck with him, I'm not inclined to blindly and automatically believe they will make the proper choice.

    A decision as bad as O'Brien deserves to haunt Bird et al... for a while.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  22. #15

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Either Mike Woodson or Frank Vogel.

    I don't know if I can trust anyone anymore.

    Vogel does what I want as far as keeping the rotations good.

    We need a teacher coach and I think coach Woody would be perfect.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  23. #16

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After seeing the prior choice of O'Brien, and the length of time they stuck with him, I'm not inclined to blindly and automatically believe they will make the proper choice.

    A decision as bad as O'Brien deserves to haunt Bird et al... for a while.
    Just a small request.

    Please change your mood!

    I can't seeing that boneheads face!

    I haven't seen it literally since we fired him.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  24. #17

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I was in favor of Bill.

    Now I don't think Roy could handle that.

    I want to see how Frank finishes the year before I decide.

  25. #18

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by The Jackson shimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I voted for Mike Brown and here's why. He's respected by today's NBA
    players (well, other than LBJ, who doesn't really allow himself to 'be
    coached' by anyone).

    I'm not and have never really been a big Granger fan. But it appears
    he's here to stay. Assuming so, Brown is a guy I can see getting
    Granger to play his arse off and meet his potential in every area
    of the game.

    If he's gonna be the Pacers' lead dog, we need a HC who can get the
    most out of him.

    That aside, Brown is a very good defensive coach. He's weaker on the
    offensive end, but a strong, offensive lead assistant can balance that
    out.
    I am not sure we know enough about Mike Brown. Anyone could have coached the Cavs when all you do is ask LBJ what he wants to do. I honestly think I would pass on Brown.

  26. #19
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,062

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in favor of Bill.

    Now I don't think Roy could handle that.

    I want to see how Frank finishes the year before I decide.
    Same here.

    There's a lot to like about Vogel in terms of attidude and his insistence on sticking with guys during a game.

    But, we need to see what his adjustments look like. Eventually, he needs to make some. More Lance? Less Collison? Tyler and/or George as starters?

    What about some different defensive tactics or emphasis?

    So far, he's won almost all the games he was supposed to. But I am going to need to see him keep doing that plus steal two or three before I'm ready to anoint him coach over another proven commodity.
    Last edited by McKeyFan; 03-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a small request.

    Please change your mood!

    I can't seeing that boneheads face!

    I haven't seen it literally since we fired him.
    Hicks has to do it for me. I'd love to see it gone as well. I'm one of the people that for reasons unknown does not have the option to set or change moods. Clearing cookies doesn't help. Doesn't matter which browser I use.

    Hicks had to set it for me too. The place where the mood options should be just isn't there on my computer.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  29. #21
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,929

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I am going to need to see him keep doing that plus steal two or three before I'm ready to anoint him coach over another proven commodity.
    Of course one person's proven commodity is another person's retread....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  31. #22

    Default Re: head coaching position

    troyc11a-

    Nothing I said is based on his stint in CLE. It's all a result of what I
    know about him (have been around him a bit away from the
    game) and observed in his earlier time with the Pacers organization.

  32. #23

    Default Re: head coaching position

    I think that Coach Vogel has done a pretty good job. I never expected to say that. I like his attitude. However just because he has done a good job for half the season doesn't mean he is the right guy to coach this team for the next 3-4 years.

    I do like Mike Brown. I think this team would be much better on defense. Basketball is a game of offense and defense though. Also, just because Brown is a really good defensive coach doesn't mean he is a good head coach. There is game planning, rotations, motivating, play calling, etc. Certainly he wasn't impressive in some of those areas in Cleveland. On the other hand I don't think it was a winning situation for him with Lebron.

    I said this before but I don't want the Pacers to settle for a recycled coach like they did with O'Brien.

  33. #24

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am not sure we know enough about Mike Brown. Anyone could have coached the Cavs when all you do is ask LBJ what he wants to do. I honestly think I would pass on Brown.
    would you agree that this years heat team has far more talent than any cavs team under brown? then why can wade, lebron, and bosh not beat a .500+ team to save their life while a mike brown coached cavs team was leading the cavs to 60+ wins and the best record in the league with mo williams and varejao as sidekicks.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  35. #25
    Member Pacertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    30
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: head coaching position

    Well my vote went for Van Gundy even though it will never happen, nice to dream though, hah. I'm not a big Mike Brown fan, I don't think he will be a savior here. Mark Jackson would be a fun ride, but I don't see that happening either. I am fine with whoever the front office picks really, as long as it is not a JOB clone.

Similar Threads

  1. Chad Ford's Mock 6.0 6/22/10 ROUND ONE
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
  2. Chad Ford's Mock 5.0 6/16/10
    By Chuck Chillout in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 12:14 AM
  3. Official Draft Day Rumor Thread
    By Trader Joe in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 06-26-2009, 11:11 AM
  4. chad Ford Mock Draft v. 7.0
    By spazzxb in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM
  5. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •