Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lance at PG?

Default Lance at PG?

i think he is the type of pg to have a winning team. look at rose, d-will, wall, they all have size. DC will never be able to guard them. Lance has size and pg court vision i hopes he is our future pg

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lance at PG?

Too early.
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

What I have liked about Lance is that he protects the ball really well. His unorthodox bouncing and jumping around helps, but he also uses his body well to protect the ball.

Love what I've seen in terms of his court vision so far. Once he gets comfortable and starts putting the ball in the bucket like he's capable of, it's going to get interesting

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

he only took 3 shots so he is still not part of the offense, i cant wait until he gets more touches

Too early certainly to know but a point guard with some size who relishes setting guys up and can see them and get the ball to them - WOW!

I really think one of Collison's biggest problems is that which is beyond is control - his lack of size.

Price, in my opinion, has started to look too much for the shot versus the set up.

The need is a point guard with size who has a point guard mentality versus a scorer's mentality.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerHound For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird must be thrilled to have a 6-5 PG on his team.

He wanted a taller PG in the 2009 draft and mentioned Tyreke Evans as the only tall one.

The size advantage comes in handy on the defensive end and Lance is pretty quick to stay with his man.

the only reason why i'm not willing to give up on DC yet is because he is only in his 2nd year and he hasn't been with the team for a year yet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

The Dallas game was the first opportunity to see Stephenson for more than a couple of trips down the floor. I am compelled to admit that I was wrong about him and his ability to play the point. Everything that I had seen of Lance previously led me to believe he was a SG and SG only.

I thought Lance did an excellent job at PG for this stage in his career. 2-3 of his assists very much took the opponent by surprise.... well they took me by surprise too. They were not easy passes to make being that their timing and margin for error left only a very, very small window of opportunity. But, Stephenson somehow completed the pass each time. I was very impressed by his game.

I don't often get too down or too excited by what I see in any one particular game. But for me anyway... last night's game totally changed my opinion on Stephenson. He is definitely far more than the throw-in for a potential trade that I thought of him in the past.

He's certainly not a starting PG yet; he is not even a heavy minutes backup. He does a good job staying with his man defensively, but has a lot to learn about team defense and what is going on away from the ball. But... I couldn't see him as a PG either... so I am very anxious to see the overall improvement he is able to make by the end of the season.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

I thought Lance looked great on offense for a 20 year old rookie and possibly adequate on defense.

If he's able to defend without being a huge liability, you gotta hand him the keys.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Regardless of position, I think we have a real player here. I (stupidly?) proclaimed after the draft that Lance would end up being better than PG, which I've obviously backtracked on, but I think we might have really killed that draft. I can definitely see why Bird is so high on Lance. He's oozing with talent, and he's definitely not tentative.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he only took 3 shots so he is still not part of the offense, i cant wait until he gets more touches
    Not part of the offense? Did you watch the game? Assists = part of the offense too. He hit players with passes that they didnt even expect. Some of those assists really reminded me of Magic Johnson. Big guys can see the court better. Everyone should have loved his impact on the offense.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Lance is the definition of combo guard. He is best as a one, but what is so good about him is his versatility to play multiple positions and be used in multiple ways. We can evolve the offense around him, we can use him off the ball, and we can even post him up.

He's got a lot of work to do on his shot and finishing around the rim obviously, but when he accomplishes those things he's easily the best point guard on our team. What makes me excited about him is that he has all of the tools to get it done. He can create for himself, others, and he's just a flat out raw talent.

Hopefully by training camp he can come back lighter, yet stronger with more hops and a significantly improved shot. The best thing about him on the court is that he just has that "It" factor. He has a great feel for the game and he isn't just a scorer like Darren has been lately. He plays defense (He does a great job recovering by using his long arms to shield passes), he rebounds the ball, he sets up others, and he gets his shots in to keep the defenses honest.

I was pretty upset when he didn't close out the game, but maybe he was winded so it's not a huge deal. I just want to see him early and often.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Regardless of position, I think we have a real player here. I (stupidly?) proclaimed after the draft that Lance would end up being better than PG, which I've obviously backtracked on, but I think we might have really killed that draft. I can definitely see why Bird is so high on Lance. He's oozing with talent, and he's definitely not tentative.
    I think Lance could end up being better than Paul still. It all depends who works harder I really hope Lance works on getting in better shape and his game same with Paul. I tend to side with Paul because he has already shown great work ethic last summer working with Roy. But what puzzled me was why Lance didnt play sooner he was more NBA ready offensivly than Paul coming out of collge. But then that article came out saying they were waiting for his court case which made sense.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I think Lance could end up being better than Paul still. It all depends who works harder I really hope Lance works on getting in better shape and his game same with Paul. I tend to side with Paul because he has already shown great work ethic last summer working with Roy. But what puzzled me was why Lance didnt play sooner he was more NBA ready offensivly than Paul coming out of collge. But then that article came out saying they were waiting for his court case which made sense.
    I trust Paul to put in the work to reach his potential more than I do Lance. Lance still kind of scares me.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Honestly, if we could take the route of developing Lance the way the Spurs have developed George Hill (let him play either guard position, let him play to his strengths like Hill has), I think we'll be fine. I don't really care about his position as much as I care about what George's future position will be.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I had to snicker when I read the bolded part of your post. You are the master of the understatement. I don't think you could use Lance and tentative within the same book, let alone the same sentence.

And, if he improves a lot, that could be a great thing. That's what bball killers are made of... a complete willingness to take that game-ending drive or shot without hesitation, without being tentative in the very least.

I believe Lance already has that instinct. I hope he is able to improve upone the skills necessary to go along with that mentality.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

One of the things that most excites me about Lance at the point is how crisp his passes are. When he makes the decision to pass, he gets it there in a hurry. I'm anxious to see how his ability to draw and dish will benefit Roy. Likewise, I'm anxious to see his ability to feed the post.

I still think his scoring and ballhandling are his best assets, but it's nice to know that he can also exploit certain mismatches using his other skills and attributes. I think he's going to be very valuable as long as he stays out of trouble.

One thing that helps his case to get minutes at point guard is that his competition hasn't been doing as well as they should have.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    One of the things that most excites me about Lance at the point is how crisp his passes are. When he makes the decision to pass, he gets it there in a hurry. I'm anxious to see how his ability to draw and dish will benefit Roy. Likewise, I'm anxious to see his ability to feed the post.
    Excellent point, Josh McRoberts also makes great, crisp passes. I think most fans pay little attention to how important passing is...a guy like Granger is money when the pass is where he wants it (Dunleavy always passes him the ball right where he wants it)...when he has to reach for a pass you can pretty much guarantee he will miss.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi View Post
    Too early.
    Too early? But I thought he was born ready!!

bench jones, so lance can play more

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

I'm having trouble getting over his legal issues, but I can't deny his talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I'm having trouble getting over his legal issues, but I can't deny his talent.
    I'm not concerned about his past legal issues just his future legal issues. If legal issues don't stop him he has a long nba career.

He and PG are exciting to watch unlike some other players who look like robots on the floor.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I'm not concerned about his past legal issues just his future legal issues. If legal issues don't stop him he has a long nba career.

He and PG are exciting to watch unlike some other players who look like robots on the floor.
    I agree, they are exciting to watch. I like the young core of players and hope we can add some veteran leadership this summer. A scorer would be nice too. I just dont want the overweight PF's/C whose names are being mentioned. I want to see some toughness - like the guy in your avatar!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    bench jones, so lance can play more
    Bench AJ instead. Quite frankly, he sucks. He doesn't do anything well.

Don't get me wrong, bench Jones too, but mostly AJ.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post: