Thread: "Stephenson hits the ground running"

Mood

Sports Logo

Default "Stephenson hits the ground running"

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/blog_brunner.html#110304

Each game, we're seeing a little more. And each game, he's showing a little more.
    The whole idea behind the plan to develop Lance Stephenson is to move carefully, cautiously. Don't give him too much responsibility right away. Let him get his feet wet, get a taste of the NBA and see how it digests.

Of course, it appears Stephenson had his own plan: hit the ground running and see where it leads.

In his third NBA appearance, Stephenson was the Pacers' best player with 11 points and six rebounds in 20 minutes in a 113-89 loss to Oklahoma City. He got to the basket at will, made a couple of seeing-eye passes and generally used his rare combination of size, strength, quickness and agility to full advantage.

At least on the offensive end. Defense, well, I believe the code phrase these days is "work in progress."

"Hes doing better than I expected he would, just from a standpoint of nerves, anxiety, never having been in it," said Frank Vogel. "He's just a basketball player. Everyone who knows him that's what they said. He's a gamer.

"(It's) just a matter of calming his adrenaline down and getting used to being out there and that's what we're going to do each game, we're going to get him some minutes."

Stephenson thus far has totaled 34 minutes, 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists. Makes you wonder what he might produce once he figures out what he's doing.

Of course it is far too early to draw conclusions. But it's never too soon to try to look down the road and see exactly how Stephenson might factor into the plan. Be assured, though, he does factor into the plan.

"He's a terrific talent. He's a top-tier talent," said G.M. David Morway.
    "He's very young, he's just learning how to play the game. When he played in high school and even last year at Cincinnati the ball had to be in his hands. So he's having to learn not only to play without the basketball but he's also having to learn how to play defensively.

"But he is a great talent. He has great size, he can handle, he sees the floor, he's got great instincts on the court and he can score. He's going to play and we're going to see where he fits in. We know he fits in the future."

For the present, it'll be fun watching this talent begin its evolution toward becoming a player.
    Sounds like Morway and Vogel are pretty high on Stephenson, as Bird is as well. Good to know, also, that he's fitting into our "future" that is still incredibly undefined (except PLAYOFFS).
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: "Stephenson hits the ground running"

This type of article is coming way too early in Lance's development, IMO.

I like what he's been able to do and I loved the 2nd round pick when it was announced but the hyperbole is just too much right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Banned

It's an article about Lance Stephenson beginning his NBA career. When should such an article be written if not right now?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

http://origin.nba.com/playerfile/lan...eer_stats.html

There are his numbers. I fully expect his percentages to jump up, just like Paul George's and AJ's have.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been able to get to the rim at will. He needs to work on finishing though. And his jumpsuit needs work but I expect his jumper to get better once he gets his game legs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You can see even in the limited minutes he's gotten that he has some real talent. I still think the Tyreke Evans comparison is the best, although I don't think his ceiling is quite as high as Tyreke's. Lance will get to be a better finisher, and he will start getting more foul calls. He's definitely getting the rookie treatement from the refs. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of lift, which is a minor concern. I don't think he will be a full-time point guard, but I think he can play it in spots (especially against guys who won't kill him with their quickness). His jumper does need work, I guess, I've only seen him take one jumper in game time.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    You can see even in the limited minutes he's gotten that he has some real talent. I still think the Tyreke Evans comparison is the best, although I don't think his ceiling is quite as high as Tyreke's. Lance will get to be a better finisher, and he will start getting more foul calls. He's definitely getting the rookie treatement from the refs. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of lift, which is a minor concern. I don't think he will be a full-time point guard, but I think he can play it in spots (especially against guys who won't kill him with their quickness). His jumper does need work, I guess, I've only seen him take one jumper in game time.
    I think thats a good comparison Dash, but I also think he has better court vision and passing abilities (potentially) then Tyreke. Tyreke probably is a better finisher at the rim though
    Sittin on top of the world!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems Lance can get around his man and to the rim about anytime he wants, if he can learn to finish then we'll really have something. The ability to get to the rim is impressive, you can't just say that about anyone.

Point guard, we don't know. Way to early, but nothing has been proven he can't be one.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

the fact he's only 20 is even more crazy that he's doing what he has and that he has only 34 combined minutes in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    It seems Lance can get around his man and to the rim about anytime he wants,.
    The opposite of that has been true too, so far. It's like is being said though, way too little of a sampling.

I want to see him play every game at least a little to finish the season, completely stay out of any trouble/weird situation/wrong place at the wrong time scenarios over the summer.....THEN come back and be a factor from the beginning of training camp next year.

Thats alot of things to have happen in the 7 months, but here's to hoping for it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

lance's not finishing is just a rookie getting used the NBA game, imo. paul was/is having the same problem. make a nice move and keep coming up short of the rim. guys are bigger, stronger, more athletic so it takes some getting used to. if either of them is having the same problem a year from now, then worry.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    ....his jumpsuit needs work..........
    You thinking maybe some rhinestones or something?

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

rhinestones... yes

I haven't formed an opinion on Lance yet, but he was a S-T-E-A-L of a 40th pick. Nice job Larry!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieHard For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    You thinking maybe some rhinestones or something?