Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

I just don't get caught up on size. Barkley was like 6'6", played PF. Some guys don't fit in the height/weight stereotypes because of their intrinsic strengths. Tyler is one of 'em.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't get caught up on size. Barkley was like 6'6", played PF. Some guys don't fit in the height/weight stereotypes because of their intrinsic strengths. Tyler is one of 'em.
    true, but height does determine the positions he can defend. if hansbro were 6'10 he would be able to effectively gaurd most centers in the league.

at 6'8 he will nvr be able to gaurd the dominant centers. in essence his height limits his versatility to only playing PF and not both the 4&5.

imagine Hansbro gaurding Hibbert, tylers only chance would be too keep Roy off the block, once Roy gets etablished he could shoot over him consistently.

its really the only knock i have on hansbro.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    true, but height does determine the positions he can defend. if hansbro were 6'10 he would be able to effectively gaurd most centers in the league.

at 6'8 he will nvr be able to gaurd the dominant centers. in essence his height limits his versatility to only playing PF and not both the 4&5.

imagine Hansbro gaurding Hibbert, tylers only chance would be too keep Roy off the block, once Roy gets etablished he could shoot over him consistently.

its really the only knock i have on hansbro.
    Tell that to Chuck Hayes 6"6 and a good defensive C.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Tell that to Chuck Hayes 6"6 and a good defensive C.
    i dont know the guys twitter account

Hayes may be an exception as was ben wallace but most championship teams have centers who are 6'10. kendrick perkins is 6'10 i believe, in the dale davis mold.

read again what i stated.

is chuck hayes a dominant center??
    Last edited by PacersPride; 02-28-2011 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Truth be told Chuck was really only about 6'4" tall probably 6'5" in shoes.

That is like thinking that Jeff is only 6'10". Maybe back in college but Jeff is pushing the 7' mark and has for years.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post

My only wish is that he would get the ball and drive to the lane MORE OFTEN. Good things will ALWAYS happen if our athletic and plenty capable players would simply use the talent they already have in a better way. Every player on our roster needs to be more aggressive taking the ball to the rack. Start setting league records for shots taken inside the paint in a regulation game, that sort of thing....you know, SMASHMOUTH basketball?? What happened to that?!
    Oh yeah, this is my other beef with his game. He'll get blocked more often, but if he attacks hard more often it won't make our offense too easy to guard.

Especially if a softie like Chris Bosh or Boris Diaw is on him, post him up, spin, and ATTACK!

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd love Tyler to make it a personal goal each game to foul out the opposing team's entire front line.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He has settled his offensive game down and now picks his spots. This has resulted in a significant jump with his FG% which was the greatest knock on his game last year.

Otherwise I don't see a significant difference. Yes, his defense has gradually improved and he's fouling a bit less...but these developments are minor improvements compared to his shot selection improvement.
    As others have mentioned already, I'm not sure how useful it is to compare Tyler from last year to anything that he is going to do in his career. Last year was just such an unusual situation, that I don't think anything from it will provide any meaningful comparisons.

However, since you mentioned it, I looked up his stats. I knew that his field goal percentage seemed a lot better, but I was shocked to see that he has actually attempted 1 less shot per game than he did last year. I have never watched a game this year and thought that he was leaving any shots out on the court. He's making the same number of field goals, just in 1 less attempts.

From watching the games, I think his shot selection still has a long way to go, but just from looking at the numbers there has been some serious improvement. He's still only shooting 44% on the season, but considering where he was at last year, yeah that's some major improvement.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Truth be told Chuck was really only about 6'4" tall probably 6'5" in shoes.

That is like thinking that Jeff is only 6'10". Maybe back in college but Jeff is pushing the 7' mark and has for years.
    draft express states Foster is 6'11. so its likely hansbro is 2.5 inches shorter than jeff.

Sorry I haven't read through the entire thread yet.

However..

Tyler is so much better than last year or even better than earlier this year, imo.

Baseline turn around jumper and now a counter where he fakes the turn around and goes up and under drawing a foul.

19 foot jumper is money from the key.

Pick and pop exists now and is decent, it was non existent last year.

Defensive rotations are there, although late, sometimes.

He still is crazy aggressive, but more under control, which I did read someone said.

He's not constantly putting himself at risk, but still getting after it.

He still has quick feet when isolated so he doesn't get beat by shot creators off the dribble.

He still is strong defensively in the low post, but doesn't get the benefit of the call, yet.

He gets blocked when he reverts to the over the shoulder set shot hook thing he does, but its not his only option now.

So ya, he's much much better, imo. His #1 skill is still agressiveness and yes it's a skill. However with the stuff he's adding, he's showing me he's not just that.

I wish, he was a dominant rebounder, but neither of the Power Forwards are.

I wish, he had some positional flexibility, but he doesn't, he's pure PF.

I wish he was a better passer or at least reasonably so.

I wish he ran the break better and got in a lane full speed.

I wish he could finish left handed enough to keep defender honest.

I mean he has work to do, but I'm very please with what he's added in really a half of a year. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a full off season to work on his game and skills. He's shown he can do it. He did it at Carolina when he added the jumper. He did in very limited work this year during the season, imo.

Again, my biggest fear was post concussion he'd either have to change his game which would make him less aggressive and way less effective or he'd keep playing recklessly and be injured all the time. He's figured out, so far, how to find a balance. I'm really pretty happy about that.
    Last edited by Speed; 02-28-2011 at 03:44 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

one additional thing tyler is better at this year than last. he is getting credit from the officials for having quick hands. last year every time he swiped at the ball it was called a foul. this year he has either learned how to defend without fouling or getting credit for having quick hands and not getting the foul called.

i really like tyler's quick hands. in that regard, he is like chris mullins.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

New coach.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

I think we all should agree that he needs to improve his field goal percentage. A guy who plays inside shouldn't shoot 43%. Josh leads the team with 54% and he does shoot some threes. Yes Josh gets a lot of dunks but Tylers scoring is do to the amount of shots he takes not great offensive output.

I don't know where to put this, so I guess I will put it here.

Watching the ND vs. Villanova game, Ben Hansbrough dropped thirty and when he came out and the victory cigars game in, Tyler and their father were in attendance in tears and applauding him being very proud of him.. It was very touching. Just thought I would put that here since there isn't no where else to put it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I don't know where to put this, so I guess I will put it here.

Watching the ND vs. Villanova game, Ben Hansbrough dropped thirty and when he came out and the victory cigars game in, Tyler and their father were in attendance in tears and applauding him being very proud of him.. It was very touching. Just thought I would put that here since there isn't no where else to put it.
    put it in the scouting thread like I did, lol would be a decent 2nd rd pick or free agent depending on how long he will last in the draft...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler plays above his height on the offensive end.

He shows no fear against bigger centers in the paint.

He has the potential to become a better defender, but so far this season, I'm just happy he's healthy.

We couldn't really judge him last year because of the health issues he was dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    draft express pre-draft camp measurments

danny granger - 6-7.5
    tyler hansbrough - 6-8.25
    josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75
    They definitely grew since being drafted because they're all at least an inch or two taller.

Danny at 6-9, Tyler at 6-9, Josh at 6-10, and Paul at 6-8.

I think Paul has grown an inch in a half or so since the summer.. He looks taller than most guys. In the beginning of the season I'd get him mixed up with Solo on the court at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I think Paul has grown an inch in a half or so since the summer.. He looks taller than most guys. In the beginning of the season I'd get him mixed up with Solo on the court at first glance.
    He tweeted when he first joined the team that everyone kept calling him Solo.

Jump shooting. Whether the percentages have changed, he seems more confident.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

kinda difficult to answer since he only played 29 games last season. things i would like to see hansbrough improve on for next season is:

*pump faking then driving to the basket. he is very quick for a PF, though undersized. he does pump then drive from time to time but not consistently, he will get fouled the majority of the time.

* continue to improve on his jump shot from 15 in. once his jumper is money consistently, the pump fake and drive will benefit him even more.

* i have no idea what hansbroughs ceiling is, maybe a poormans boozer.? but i would like to see him get rippped up. i think he will get stronger.. i envision hansbrough in 3-5 years with 25lbs more pounds of muscle and experience and think it would be fun to see dale davis and tyler hansbrough play together on the pacers in their primes. not built like antonio was, but similar.

* his passing could improve but he will nvr be mcrob.

one thing that surprised me about hansbrough when i did see him play last year was how much athleticsm he has. i was not a fan of his at unc, and i immediately thought hansbro would be the replacement for foster, but foster nvr has had tylers ability to get up and dunk.

i was not a fan of tyler being selected but i knew he was a bird guy, guts and hustle and willing to get bloody. ive been a fan since watching him play last year, love the guys tenacity on the court.
    Good points. I was with you up until the following sentence.

the one area hansbrough will nvr improve on his height, if he were 6'10 like Foster, no doubts he would be an all-star in this league.
    I really think you are over estimating that one (1) inch height advantage of Jeff Foster. Hansbrough and Blake Griffin are the exact same height. Height and size sure helps but it isn't everything. Athleticism, lowerbody strength, good footwork, and positioning are more important.

One thing to add to Tyler's "work on" list should be his ball handling and post-face-up game. If he could learn to get to the basket off the dribble when he faces up, he could really be unstoppable.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

I want to see Tyler pass the ball better and play better team basketball. He gets tunnel vision and has a hard time slowing down and making good decisions at times. I love his hustle and effort he just needs to work on the mental aspect of the game.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

I really think you are over estimating that one (1) inch height advantage of Jeff Foster.
    Does anybody who regularly sees this team in person really think that Hansbrough is only an inch shorter than Foster?

I don't.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    draft express pre-draft camp measurments

danny granger - 6-7.5
    tyler hansbrough - 6-8.25
    josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75
    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    They definitely grew since being drafted because they're all at least an inch or two taller.

Danny at 6-9, Tyler at 6-9, Josh at 6-10, and Paul at 6-8.
    not trying to start a fight. just askin'. have you seen many games in person? i've noticed that the differences in height are not as noticeable on TV as they are at the game. tyler looks much shorter at home than away.

Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I think we all should agree that he needs to improve his field goal percentage. A guy who plays inside shouldn't shoot 43%. Josh leads the team with 54% and he does shoot some threes. Yes Josh gets a lot of dunks but Tylers scoring is do to the amount of shots he takes not great offensive output.
    Teams treat Josh and Tyler very differently. They don't try to prevent Josh from scoring...which is a huge reason his FG% is higher. Teams know Tyler will go in and posterize you every single time he gets his hands on the ball, given the chance. The deal is that if you don't do a good job defending Tyler, he's getting an And-One on you...every time. That hurts the opposition big time, and they're not about to allow it...if they can stop him...which sometimes they really cannot.

This is really a big deal that could be exploited as Tyler matures, but Tyler has yet to learn how to pass. That's a big weakness to his game...but it's probably because he wants to score so much. Josh, however, is not physical, not as interested in scoring and almost always gets stripped going to the lane. The defense simply doesn't worry much about him. To them, he's like Foster.