Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

Just very specific talk. Does he set better screens, shoot better, defend better? I'll let some of you guys reply and then I'll chime in.

What does he do better from last year?

Default Re: What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

EDIT:Wait, how did I read josh? lol

Hansbrough I have absolutely no idea because he barely played. He seems about the same.
    Last edited by Gold; 02-27-2011 at 04:22 PM.

He's done really well avoiding crazy inner ear infections/vertigo IMO.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post:

He looked lost on Offense last season and early this year. He's more comfortable now, and isn't afraid to shoot the ball or drive it in.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He needs to be setting better picks and pass better thoes would make him a really good all around player.

As the year has progressed he has done a much better job at picking his spots. This may also be due to him getting better at passing because now when he doesn't have a good shot he can pass out. But he knows what he can and can't hit jump shot wise and does a better job at driving to the basket without there being defenders hanging off of him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerfan For This Useful Post:

I think he's more under control.

Other than that, we haven't seen much of him. He's got to defend better, rebound better, pick his spots better. But he's wildly effective with his hustle.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Pros:

-I think Tyler is better with his back to the basket this year. His half hook looks very weird, but he has to be hitting like 60% of his shots with his back to the basket.

-Tyler's jumpshot is ridiculously improved. He used to brick wide open jumpers, and now he is hitting them with hands in his face.

-Tyler has a very solid turnaround jumpshot.

-Tyler is getting better at defensive awareness every game.

-He's been more healthy

-He is showing more emotion and it rubs off on the other fellas.

-He isn't getting blocked as much. Not even close.

Cons:

-He is having less of those, "omgzz Tylah iz a beast he gots lyk 7 off rebs and putback dunkz mad hustle," moments. He still has them, cue the game vs. Detroit, but last year he had those moments all the time.

I dunno if this is a pro or a con:

-He doesn't play like a chicken with his head cut off as much anymore. He's under more control. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, but last year it was almost always a good thing because we were very soft last year.

Banned

His jump shot is money and he is learning to trow the one handed awkward shot.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Face up jumper and the pick and pop. Also improved on pissing off the other teams' bigs.
    You Got The Tony!!!!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Learning how to get to the offensive boards when initially blocked out versus giving up and running back down the floor because of being blocked out. Learning the Larry Bird method of rebounding offensive boards and picking up some stuff it seems to me from Jeff Foster along the same line.

Driving the ball and getting to the free throw line more.

Shooting the jump shot and hitting it more consistently generally speaking.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's fantastic at gathering loose balls... he's a good rebounder. He's a good screen-setter. He brings energy. He draws contact on the front-line and hits free throws. He's hitting his outside shot. He runs the floor well.

I think he's improved at all those things this year. We knew that's what he was when he came in, and there is a very valuable need for those skills in the NBA.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

He has settled his offensive game down and now picks his spots. This has resulted in a significant jump with his FG% which was the greatest knock on his game last year.

Otherwise I don't see a significant difference. Yes, his defense has gradually improved and he's fouling a bit less...but these developments are minor improvements compared to his shot selection improvement.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel like his midrange jumper is much better, and I think in general he's more poised. While he always will play like a wildman out there, I think he's playing like a smarter wildman, and the game has slowed down for him a bit.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not really a fair question. How can you improve much when doctors don't allow you to workout or do anything until training camp for your second season is almost there? He's much more comfortable though. You could tell he wasn't right last year just from his FT%.

Next year is when you should see some improvement. He will actually have time to work on things this offseason.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

kinda difficult to answer since he only played 29 games last season. things i would like to see hansbrough improve on for next season is:

*pump faking then driving to the basket. he is very quick for a PF, though undersized. he does pump then drive from time to time but not consistently, he will get fouled the majority of the time.

* continue to improve on his jump shot from 15 in. once his jumper is money consistently, the pump fake and drive will benefit him even more.

* i have no idea what hansbroughs ceiling is, maybe a poormans boozer.? but i would like to see him get rippped up. i think he will get stronger.. i envision hansbrough in 3-5 years with 25lbs more pounds of muscle and experience and think it would be fun to see dale davis and tyler hansbrough play together on the pacers in their primes. not built like antonio was, but similar.

* his passing could improve but he will nvr be mcrob.

one thing that surprised me about hansbrough when i did see him play last year was how much athleticsm he has. i was not a fan of his at unc, and i immediately thought hansbro would be the replacement for foster, but foster nvr has had tylers ability to get up and dunk.

i was not a fan of tyler being selected but i knew he was a bird guy, guts and hustle and willing to get bloody. ive been a fan since watching him play last year, love the guys tenacity on the court.

the one area hansbrough will nvr improve on his height, if he were 6'10 like Foster, no doubts he would be an all-star in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . . . He's much more comfortable though. You could tell he wasn't right last year just from his FT%.

Next year is when you should see some improvement. He will actually have time to work on things this offseason.
    comfortable is a good word. he is starting to see more of the game, i think.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacersPride View Post
    the one area hansbrough will nvr improve on his height, if he were 6'10 like Foster, no doubts he would be an all-star in this league.
    He's 6'9". 1" isn't gonna kill his chances at being good. The myth is he's undersized. Fact is, he's the same height and 5 lbs heavier than Antonio Davis was. His arms are huge. He plays with a controlled fire that is rare. The thing with Tyler isn't that he's HUGE... it's that he's got massive heart and motor. He will flat-out out-battle people his size and even larger for rebounds, loose balls, etc. He needs to learn Jeff Foster's savvy on the defensive end, but he's already a superior offensive player to Jeff.

I've been saying all along -- he's Jeff Foster with an offensive game. That is nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 02-27-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

It's no myth. I don't know how he's listed at 6'9". He has to be 6'8.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I've been saying all along -- he's Jeff Foster with an offensive game. That is nothing to sneeze at.
    Obviously I'm a Tyler fan. But Foster is a man. A true, stud big man who can guard true centers.

Tyler is more like Jeff Foster's aggressive, muscular little brother who can put it in the basket.

draft express has tyler at 6-8.25. that plus his lack of hops limits his possibilities as a PF. but he has nice skills. and best of all seems to be seeing more of the floor when he plays than before.

he does seem to be complaining more to the officials. wonder how that's working for him?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Obviously I'm a Tyler fan. But Foster is a man. A true, stud big man who can guard true centers.

Tyler is more like Jeff Foster's aggressive, muscular little brother who can put it in the basket.
    pacers need more guys like foster. be nice if one of them could shoot though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    draft express has tyler at 6-8.25. that plus his lack of hops limits his possibilities as a PF. but he has nice skills. and best of all seems to be seeing more of the floor when he plays than before.

he does seem to be complaining more to the officials. wonder how that's working for him?
    Tyler is definitely 6-9 to 6-10.

He, Josh, and Danny are about the same height.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Tyler is definitely 6-9 to 6-10.

He, Josh, and Danny are about the same height.
    draft express pre-draft camp measurments

danny granger - 6-7.5
    tyler hansbrough - 6-8.25
    josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post

I thanked all the above posts I agreed with, but wanted to quote this one. I agree with this, but I think his huge heart will give him a better opportunity to overcome his disadvantages. Love love love the guy, and hope he is a Pacer for a long time.

I also agree that he has been complaining more, but I was just remarking to myself within the last couple of days that Tyler does a pretty good job of getting to the line. I think it stems from the level of hustle and emotion he shows when he's playing. I think the refs generally are going to call more favorably for the players who are attacking and aggressive, and have the most energy. Tyler fills that bill, and even though he is still relatively a rookie, I feel like he DOES get to the line pretty well.

My only wish is that he would get the ball and drive to the lane MORE OFTEN. Good things will ALWAYS happen if our athletic and plenty capable players would simply use the talent they already have in a better way. Every player on our roster needs to be more aggressive taking the ball to the rack. Start setting league records for shots taken inside the paint in a regulation game, that sort of thing....you know, SMASHMOUTH basketball?? What happened to that?!

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

34. The Following User Says Thank You to heywoode For This Useful Post: