Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bird on Mayo

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bird on Mayo

On Pacers.com they have an interview of Larry Bird discussing the failed O J Mayo trade. He saw Mayo as a 16-18 ppg , and said " he plays defense" that his putting the ball in the hole was the key.

From way Larry's voice sounded I think he will go after Mayo again after the season - but the cost will be a lot higher.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bird on Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On Pacers.com they have an interview of Larry Bird discussing the failed O J Mayo trade. He saw Mayo as a 16-18 ppg , and said " he plays defense" that his putting the ball in the hole was the key.

From way Larry's voice sounded I think he will go after Mayo again after the season - but the cost will be a lot higher.
    I've been trying to say that the pacers will go after him this summer. mayo is not staying in Memphis

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Is he going to be a FA? I feel like I should know this since people probably discussed it in other threads but I just chose not read those since it was the same BS over and over.

Mood

I see the cost being higher will be interesting to see in the end what the Grizzlies get for him. Personally aside from George , and perhaps Collison, I'd give up about everyone else- yes including Hibbert.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see the cost being higher will be interesting to see in the end what the Grizzlies get for him. Personally aside from George , and perhaps Collison, I'd give up about everyone else- yes including Hibbert.
    Hibbert? Wow, you really got it bad for Mayo. I don't know that I could give up a young starting center for Mayo. Gordon, yes. But Mayo?

------

To answer a previous question in the thread, next season will be Mayo's last under his rookie contract at 5.6M. His qualifying offer for the following season is 7.4M.

The bottom line is that the guy is a scorer and I would love to have him on the team despite what the local media (jmv cough cough) says. His scoring ability was evident when the griz came to conseco not too long ago.
    And the walls came tumbling down.....

I do think Memphis also wants to send Mayo here and we would like him.

I have a good feeling Bird will continue to keep an eye on him and acquire him in the offseason.

Thing is, if the Pacers want Mayo in the off-season, they likely won't have to match salaries or send a player to Memphis, they can just trade a pick and absorb the contract if they really want him.

Though you would have liked to get the deal done before then to limit other potential suitors, and perhaps unload other players you didn't want for other assets

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

I am not too sure what we would be willing to give up for him. Would they take a sign and trade with Josh + filler + pick?

Mood

Roy Hibbert in my opinion is highly over rated when teams play him tough and bang him he has a tendancy to disappear. Tonight he had 7 points and 4 rebounds in the 1st 7 minutes but ended the game with 14 points and 8 boards.

His lack of quickness allows opposing centers to fade to the foul line for open jumpers while he scambles to get to them. Tonight his lack of quicks allowed Jefferson and Millsap to contol the boards , he is slow reacting off his feet .

The league is getting away from lumbering 7' footers and going to quick athletic big men , something no matter how hard he tries Roy will never be.

I'm not a huge Mayo fan but his game is what the Pacers lack at the 2 guard, I like Paul George a lot and see him as a star but more of a combo wing than a 2 guard.
    Last edited by diamonddave00; 02-25-2011 at 10:16 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Roy Hibbert in my opinion is highly over rated when teams play him tough and bang him he has a tendancy to disappear.
    I've been saying that all season. It isn't tall defenders that give him problems it is the really physical defenders.

In all fairness though the Jazz double teamed Roy hard tonight, especially early and that took us out of our offense

It seems their real aim with this trade was to clear the cap space, probably for resigning Gasol/Randolph.
    I think taking up his contract straight up for 1st pick(s) is more likely than McRoberts sign and trade. We'll have plenty of cap to do that.

Better yet, we could pull a draft day trade, with the pick and expirings.

Well I think if we just had a couple more weapons we could get Roy easier looks. He is still a 7footer with soft touch that can shoot over almost anybody if he gets it in the right spot.

shouldn't the trade deadline be moved up 6 weeks or so. that way teams can adjust to their new guys before the playoffs

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't trade Hibbert for Mayo. Hibbert has his flaws, for one he needs to get better at recognizing the defense and passing out/re-posting instead of forcing shots. However, he gives us a legitimate low block frontcourt player that we can work our offense around.

Mayo was just about had for McRoberts and a first round pick, and while I do think his value will be higher in the offseason, not Roy Hibbert higher.

They are resigning Gasol this summer, Hibbert doesn't even make sense to them. There's no point to talk about it.

If Memphis really wants McTradeable, we could always do an S&T this summer/winter/10th of never.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

I know Hibbert makes no sense , my point was i think most on here see Mayo as no better than Rush , while I think he's a far better player than that. A lot of fans on here are swayed by hustle and likability into believing they are better than they actually are. Hustle and enthusiasm only beats talent when talent doesn't try.

Hibbert , McRoberts and Hansbrough seem to be great guys but most on here over rate them based on that fact. They are workman like players but none will ever be an All Star ( not even Hibbert).

In many ways I see Mayo as a Jalen Rose type a highly rated college player coming in who landed in a bad situation for him. Rose himself stated Mayo would love Indy and Bird would be the best thing for him in his development. Jalen is speaking from personal experience.
    Last edited by diamonddave00; 02-25-2011 at 10:35 PM.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=diamonddave00;1179622]Roy Hibbert in my opinion is highly over rated when teams play him tough and bang him he has a tendancy to disappear. Tonight he had 7 points and 4 rebounds in the 1st 7 minutes but ended the game with 14 points and 8 boards.

Hibbert is very young, just wait until he gains muscle so he isn't so easy to knock off the block and be out of position

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im not gonna lie I want OJ to be a pacer really bad.

off season: OJ for a 1st rd pick make it happen Larry

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

I think Memphis is still gonna want Josh via S&T and also our 2011 pick and we'll give them Brandon also for Mayo.

I see Bird making that deal.

We'll look at our options in the free agent market in signing a PF.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Getting Mayo means Danny's time as a Pacer is just about over.

Mood

If Mayo is that special of a player, maybe a S&T around draft time to get him and then look to get a legit big 4 that can play next to hibbert and defend the paint.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

Banned

It's interesting that Bird thinks Mayo is a defender after hearing so many say otherwise.

Could someone with access to that newfangled fancypants stats keeping website (I forgot the name of it) post some of Mayo's defensive numbers? Thanks in advance.

Roy Hibbert in my opinion is highly over rated when teams play him tough and bang him he has a tendancy to disappear. Tonight he had 7 points and 4 rebounds in the 1st 7 minutes but ended the game with 14 points and 8 boards.

His lack of quickness allows opposing centers to fade to the foul line for open jumpers while he scambles to get to them. Tonight his lack of quicks allowed Jefferson and Millsap to contol the boards , he is slow reacting off his feet .

The league is getting away from lumbering 7' footers and going to quick athletic big men , something no matter how hard he tries Roy will never be.

I'm not a huge Mayo fan but his game is what the Pacers lack at the 2 guard, I like Paul George a lot and see him as a star but more of a combo wing than a 2 guard.
    That's definitely how it used to be but the Jazz game seemed to be mostly him just being double teamed... which sometimes turned into triple teams when he tried to do a move and shoot.