Thread: SpearsNBAYahoo Pacers G-F Mike Dunleavy underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.

Banned

Default SpearsNBAYahoo Pacers G-F Mike Dunleavy underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.

SpearsNBAYahoo Pacers G-F Mike Dunleavy underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: SpearsNBAYahoo Pacers G-F Mike Dunleavy underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.

I wonder how long it will take for him to get his shooting form back though.. Didn't Earl Watson break his thumb and he couldn't shoot (Not that he could shoot anyways) at all for the rest of the season during his last year in OKC/Seattle?

Default Re: SpearsNBAYahoo Pacers G-F Mike Dunleavy underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left thumb and is expected to be out six to eight weeks.

When he comes back I fully expect him to be out of the rotation barring any injury.

Sometime between April 8th and April 22nd, then.

Do you think we'll rock the boat if he's available right as we enter the playoffs, or just leave him on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Do you think we'll rock the boat if he's available right as we enter the playoffs, or just leave him on the bench?
    Thats a good question for Vogel.

I bet if you asked him he would say he would evaluate Dunleavy when the the time comes. I think thats a hard decision for a young coach to make and could backfire on him no matter what his decision is especially since we will probably lose in the first round.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That's a really good question. The tradition is usually that a player doesn't lose a starting spot due to injury, but Vogel already said one of the reasons it was hard to work Rush in was because he had been out due to the injury.

Notwithstanding all the people smarter than the coach on PD, I think it will depend on who we are matched up against and whether Rush has been dependable in his minutes. I've already said that PG is much more effective with the 2nd unit because he is one of the top two scorers there, where he would not be with the starters, so it is really up to Vogel to see what fits better.

If I had to make a definite prediction today, though, I think Dun will be dressed but not playing except if there is an injury or clear problem. I think a lot of people here will be furious that Lance is left off the playoff roster in favor of Dun.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

If we get in but Dun doesn't play, has he still never made the playoffs?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Should the Pacers buy him out? what is the date for a player to sign with a playoffs team?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That puts him back right about the time that the playoffs start. We will just have to wait and see where is with his recovery and what he could give us at that point. I'm at least excited that he could be around for a big shot in the playoffs.

I want to see Brandon and Paul get on a roll with Danny learning to pick his spots (watch film of Kobe please). He needs to initiate more by high post pick and roll with Hibbert. That play is money if they get it down. It gives Granger a way to get around his man without relying strictly on quickness. It keeps Hibbert close enough to the rim that he doesn't have far to recover. Alley oops might become common. And Danny has the ability to rise for the midrange with his height.

I also would love to see Brandon running like crazy around screens like Reggie. He is so effective in the catch and shoot, IMO. He is a rhythm shooter. Darren getting him the ball in rhythm out on the perimeter will either lead to an immediate drive to the hoop or a feed to the post.

Paul George. Stay aggressive. Get to the rim. Throw it down. Finish. Get to the line. Conitnue working on your mid-range game. You have an all-around game already because of your immense athleticism. Refine everything in your arsenal.

These are the few things I would like to see out of our wings to finish out the season. Our wing rotation should be an advantage many nights, without ever really being a detriment from one night to the next. That will be important to solidify our playoff hopes and compete once we get there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Should the Pacers buy him out? what is the date for a player to sign with a playoffs team?
    you could sign them whenever I belive.

One thing that is different with a thumb injury vs say a knee or leg injury. Mike can stay in good condition throughout the next 6 weeks, and since it is his offhand, he should be able to start shooting a little earlier, so Mike should be more ready to go as soon as his thumb heals as compared to other injuries

Flipped Off The Refs Larry Staverman's Avatar
    Mood

Tough break for Dunleavy but this is a blessing in disguise.

With Dunleavy, Ford and Posey out of the rotation the future is now. This will clarify who is part of the future of this team and who is not. It is time for the younger players to show who will be here next year and beyond.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Staverman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post

I also would love to see Brandon running like crazy around screens like Reggie. He is so effective in the catch and shoot, IMO. He is a rhythm shooter. Darren getting him the ball in rhythm out on the perimeter will either lead to an immediate drive to the hoop or a feed to the post.
    Yeah and I'd like to see Tyler grow about another 3 inches and for Roy to become a power player. All are equally as likely to happen.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
    Yeah and I'd like to see Tyler grow about another 3 inches and for Roy to become a power player. All are equally as likely to happen.
    fftopic: tyler is not the only guy in the league that would like to grow 3 inches. one of the things i like about bird's drafting is most of the players he gets are full sized. unlike most teams, the pacers have guys that are not undersized for their positions.

I'am not MD's biggest fan, not at all.
    But, yesterdays game showed how valuable he is for our offense..His help defense is excellent and he moves well without the ball..
    I love Rush's defense, but I'am not sure it's more valuable then Mike's movement + help D.

Our offense was so horrible yesterday. I don't know if you can credit Mike for our 100+ points offense, but he sure was a part of it.
    Last edited by skip2mylou; 02-26-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    you could sign them whenever I belive.
    I thought there was a date they had to be signed by to be playoff eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Staverman View Post
    With Dunleavy, Ford and Posey out of the rotation the future is now. This will clarify who is part of the future of this team and who is not. It is time for the younger players to show who will be here next year and beyond.
    If ever there was a Do-or-Die period for Brandon Rush, this would be it. His future with the Pacers might not be much longer than T.J. Ford's if he doesn't perform well. I just hope he can find a niche among the starters.

Also, was this a Guinness attempt for longest thread title?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hopefully Dunleavy has played his last game in a Pacer uniform. That would mean that Rush, George and Lance wouldve progressed sufficiently enough that come playoff time Duns continues to be in street clothes.

That would be a very good thing for both the present and probably more importantly the future.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    If ever there was a Do-or-Die period for Brandon Rush, this would be it. His future with the Pacers might not be much longer than T.J. Ford's if he doesn't perform well. I just hope he can find a niche among the starters.

Also, was this a Guinness attempt for longest thread title?
    Brandon will literally need to make his long awaited "coming out party" to not be moved in the offseason.

Anyway, Brandon if you are reading, you are a good player but to be the defacto starter on this team long-term you need to exploit your natural ability. IOW, you need to take over some games. We've only seen brief flashes of great play. There needs to be more consistency along with some swagger and killer instincts shown. Some emotion would be nice too. Part of this starter job mentality is confidence and selling yourself on the floor. Do all of that and you can start for anyone.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

So Dunleavy's Pacer career ends not with a bang but a whimper.

As for his playoff return, was Dunleavy actually holding the team afloat or something? This wouldn't be the same as Danny, Roy or Collison returning.

Mood

We should just waive him.