Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm suprised some people dont realize this or..

Default I'm suprised some people dont realize this or..

maybe i'm a lot more optimistic about this. I think the Pacers had a top 10 player fall in there lap with Paul George. In fact, i think his ceiling could be higher. I know some people are bent about this Mayo trade, but honestly, I rather be mediocre for a year or two more while we wait for George to blossom as our two guard. I dont want Mayo clogging up that position. Indiana has never had a guy with as much talent as George has. I'm willing to wait this one out.

My only fear is that he gets so good, that ESPN starts making it there agenda to get George to a big market team, like they're doing now with Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, by sending there insiders on television and having them tell everyone that they're positive Howard will be a Laker in 2012 and Paul will a Knick.

Paul George is going to be one of the best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I'm suprised some people dont realize this or..

It's not too optimistic to think PG can be that guy. He certainly looks like it. He's fearless, he hustles on defense as much as offense, he's already shown that he wants to be the "guy." With that said, he could very well end up to be merely a solid, low 20 per game guy that can't take them to the very top. Even if that happens however, if you take a very complete team with phenomenal chemistry, they can still be very good, and while maybe not good enough to beat the best or second best team, they can be right behind them.

You win with guys like that. Boston is a great example of how you can win without the most physically gifted talent in the NBA. Honestly, as far as physical gifts go, they don't have a single guy in the top 10 in the NBA.

Boston doesn't have a top 10 guy but they have four guys between 10 and 20.

George has the tools to be great but top 10 guys can create their own shot and that's one of the things I haven't really seen him do much this year.

That bothers me too! It is tampering. Seems like we hear more about Paul with the Knicks than with the Hornets. Sure would make a player start to think about how much coverage they might actually get if they were to make the move. Just one more way the big markets get the edge. I can't remember ESPN ever associating hes name with any of the smaller market teams. How about equal time.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

George has the tools to be great but top 10 guys can create their own shot and that's one of the things I haven't really seen him do much this year.
    Are they really all between 10 and 20?? See it's really a tough subject if you think about it, how exactly to evaluate a player. Obviously players like Wade, Kobe and Lebron are easy... They're just better than everyone else... But Boston's big 4??

Obviously Rondo is top 20, I think we can all agree on that, he's the best passer in the league bar none. But Pierce? Is really that good? It depends on your definition. See if he didn't have his teammates and was on a different team, I think he'd average more, shoot a lot lower shooting percentage and people would consider way less of him. The same goes of Ray Allen. Neither have the abilities they had 4 or 5 years ago.

For instance, take an open mind, without overreacting that I'd suggest something like this- (stupid people, just go somewhere else, this is too much for you to fathom) Imagine Granger stepping in the place of Pierce. Especially him playing with them, playngi his heart out and playing the defense we all know he can do, what would everyone think? He'd know doubt shoot lights out- He can play defense, he's completely team oriented.. I honestly believe they wouldn't skip a beat, although the two's skills are definitely different, I think he could fit right in.

What I'm really getting out is Boston is undoubtedly great because they have talent, but a huge part is they have incredible chemistry and they work together well. None of them have glaring weaknesses that hurt their like the following: too selfish, bad defense, bad rebounding, or a bad attitude.

Is it really that hard? I'd make the daring claim that Boston depends on phenomenal chemistry, and the fact that they all fill necessary rolls- KG is the best defensive big man in the league and helps them have great interior D. Ray Allen is a great shooter who never takes bad shots, depending on his PG, and the other 2 scorers on his team to ensure this never happens. Pierce only takes good shot and is never reckless going to the rim knowing he can always pull out and reset.

What also probably adds to their great play is each one of the 3 aging stars were once considered among the top 10 stars in the league, meaning they are fearless and they expect greatness. But still- no matter how great individually they were, I think we can all name many players that are better than each one of them now.

Even KG, the best D big man in the league- He is extremely effective because they don't have to depend on him to score points! He fits that role to a T! He is definitely not the best bigman in the league, though he probably fits within that team better than any other bigman... (other than Howard)

Edit- I'd also like to add this... Now you might come to the conclusion that all these different things they each bring to the table is what makes them truly top 20 players, but see if you argue that, then you have to argue that some of the other players in the league that you think really highly of (like 'Melo) aren't near as good as we give them credit for.
    Last edited by mattie; 02-25-2011 at 12:33 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I can't wait until Paul tightens up that handle a little bit.

Once he does, he's going to be dangerous on those mid range jumpers.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I can't wait until Paul tightens up that handle a little bit. . .
    pacers have too many guys that need that same fix. danny, AJ, brandon, et al. guess that means it is a young team.

Really? I have.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its a little too soon to be wondering about PG staying or going. He is still a rookie.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

George is maybe our best iso player NOW

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

yepp, the nba is really looking to screw the small market teams. i like George but do fear him becoming a laker.

Worry about that later. For now, we know he loves Indy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    Worry about that later. For now, we know he loves Indy.
    You Have The Best Avatar Ever! I remember seeing Dahntay lock in the cobra clutch on AJ and was like, Oh Hell Yeah!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

I think this group, as a whole, really likes each other. Particularly the younger guys.

And I have a feeling that so long as Roy is here, PG is going to want to be here.

edit: yea, I like the avatar. I think DJones is a big brother figure to a lot of the guys, that picture just proves it.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-25-2011 at 02:05 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I like Paul so far, and he seems to be enjoying Indy and his teammates well enough. But can someone PLEASE make sure that this world wide wes fool stays 3000 miles away from him?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I think this group, as a whole, really likes each other. Particularly the younger guys.

And I have a feeling that so log as Roy is here, PG is going to want to be here.

edit: yea, I like the avatar. I think DJones is a big brother figure to a lot of the guys, that picture just proves it.

I really liked seeing these two tweets from Paul George and TJ Ford

T.J. Ford (@tj_ford)
    Sad if the Pacers really traded my good friend "Josh McRoberts" kids playing great this yr

Paul George (@King24George)
    Phewww coo we keep JMac!!! He been doin great for us wouldve been tough to lose him!

Further proof these guys really like each other.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

I'm suprised some people dont realize that PG still could develop into a star with Mayo on our team.

PG still can play around 25 minutes with Granger and Mayo starting.. Being a back-up with 25 minutes as a rookie is not a bad thing!
    Proud owner of 'Dutch Pacers'

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Really? I have.
    I mean, he has, of course, but it's always been a variation on that little crossover where he pulls it from right to left.

The question for me is whether he can expand on that and put some reverses and spins into it. I think he can.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Are they really all between 10 and 20?? See it's really a tough subject if you think about it, how exactly to evaluate a player. Obviously players like Wade, Kobe and Lebron are easy... They're just better than everyone else... But Boston's big 4??
    I agree with most of what you said. It's hard to evaluate those Boston guys because being on the same team they suppress a lot of what they're capable of. If they were each leading their own teams I think they'd be top 15.

PG a top-10, NBA player ? That's it ? Stop shortchanging the kid.

It's a crime that he's not already in the Hoops HOF !

29. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jackson shimmy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Chris Paul George Gervin.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gremz For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's interesting to speculate as to whether Mayo would have started alongside PG in the event that Danny could be traded for an All Star caliber PF.

Spilled milk.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Because he hasn't shot much this year. Or, instead of creating something, he defers to Danny.

I've seen enough to know he can create: Drives, midrange pullup, 18 footers and threes. He's got it all. And great court vision.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

34. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sooo based on the what, 20 games he's played he's gonna be a top 10 player in the NBA! The reality on this board is amazing
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Once upon a time, J Bender was supposed to be a hall of famer.
    Ron Artest was meant to be Pacers greatest player of all time.
    When Danny Granger was rookie, this board thought he'd achieve more than JO.

PG has huge ceiling, but it's silly to relax because of that... If you avoid new talent because you possibly maybe perhaps for sure have a future All Star, you will never win a title.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

MTM