Thread: The bad news, good news, and the unknown!

Default The bad news, good news, and the unknown!

It has taken me a day of shock to actually get to the point that I can type some words about the state of the Indiana Pacers. I like many on here was excited that we actually made a trade and even one that seemed to favor us and still didn't eat into our salary cap freedom. My first thoughts were not that we were getting Mayo, or that we were giving up McRob, my first thought was WOW we can just sign McRob in the off season and still keep Mayo. It really did seem almost too good to be true, which as it turns out was too good to be true. The second part of what would have been a three team trade was also intriguing as we were going to get something for Rush. Nothing happened like it was suppose to, we were suppose to use our expiring contracts and get some real pieces to the puzzle. That didn't happen either and all of this could be viewed as bad news and I still feel missing out on Mayo is.

However, there is some really good news that must not be over looked and I believe is being over looked. That is the fact that we still have a lot of money coming off our books at the end of the year. So what some of you all are saying, we won't be able to lure a big time free agent to Indy! Your missing the picture entirely! Our cap space doesn't have to just be used for free agency. We can make a trade in the off season for something where we take on a player who makes 5-6 million and all we would have to give up is cash or a second round pick. It has happened the last few drafts where draft picks and players were sent to a team under the cap and the team under the cap didn't have to give up much, if anything. We as Pacer fans haven't really experienced a team that is in our position.

Some of you might even be wondering what this salary cap freedom is. I mean heck we might even purchase a draft pick or two this year since we are no longer worried about how close we are to the Luxury Tax. That's right we could do what a lot of you have wanted our management to do for a while and buy draft picks. In years past I believe the Pacers have wanted to purchase draft picks but were so close to the LT that they got cold feet because purchasing a draft pick especially a first round draft pick adds salary to your team. Guess what? We don't have to worry about that this year and maybe next year. Many of you will complain that this is a weak draft yadda yadda but you were probably the same people that said last year was also a weak draft and look at how that turned out for us. Plus even if we purchase draft picks that doesn't mean we can't turn around and use them as part of a big trade. You just never know and that leads me into the unknown part of my post.

We just don't know what is going to happen with the NBA. The thing is between now and June 30th a lot can happen. It very well could be that after negotiations with the Players and Owners are over and hopefully an agreement is reached, cap space is so much more important. What if there is a hard cap... Do you think teams that are close to it but aren't any good would be willing to trade away talent so they can have some breathing room? Heck maybe having cap room won't mean anything when the new deal is made. There is just so much that we don't know right now and I think that is getting under a lot of people's skin. We don't know what teams might start a fire sale like the Jazz did this year. With so much uncertainty and what if's I will say that while I am disappointed we didn't get Mayo, I am still LOVING the cap flexibility we have and regardless of what might happen I would rather be a team that can now go out and buy a draft pick, or make a trade where we can take on more salary than we send out. Yes Pacer fans we are finally FREE and come Draft time and June 30th (before the CBA agreement runs out) I would rather be in our shoes then most of the other teams out there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerFreak31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The bad news, good news, and the unknown!

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFreak31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It has taken me a day of shock to actually get to the point that I can type some words about the state of the Indiana Pacers. I like many on here was excited that we actually made a trade and even one that seemed to favor us and still didn't eat into our salary cap freedom. My first thoughts were not that we were getting Mayo, or that we were giving up McRob, my first thought was WOW we can just sign McRob in the off season and still keep Mayo. It really did seem almost too good to be true, which as it turns out was too good to be true. The second part of what would have been a three team trade was also intriguing as we were going to get something for Rush. Nothing happened like it was suppose to, we were suppose to use our expiring contracts and get some real pieces to the puzzle. That didn't happen either and all of this could be viewed as bad news and I still feel missing out on Mayo is.

However, there is some really good news that must not be over looked and I believe is being over looked. That is the fact that we still have a lot of money coming off our books at the end of the year. So what some of you all are saying, we won't be able to lure a big time free agent to Indy! Your missing the picture entirely! Our cap space doesn't have to just be used for free agency. We can make a trade in the off season for something where we take on a player who makes 5-6 million and all we would have to give up is cash or a second round pick. It has happened the last few drafts where draft picks and players were sent to a team under the cap and the team under the cap didn't have to give up much, if anything. We as Pacer fans haven't really experienced a team that is in our position.

Some of you might even be wondering what this salary cap freedom is. I mean heck we might even purchase a draft pick or two this year since we are no longer worried about how close we are to the Luxury Tax. That's right we could do what a lot of you have wanted our management to do for a while and buy draft picks. In years past I believe the Pacers have wanted to purchase draft picks but were so close to the LT that they got cold feet because purchasing a draft pick especially a first round draft pick adds salary to your team. Guess what? We don't have to worry about that this year and maybe next year. Many of you will complain that this is a weak draft yadda yadda but you were probably the same people that said last year was also a weak draft and look at how that turned out for us. Plus even if we purchase draft picks that doesn't mean we can't turn around and use them as part of a big trade. You just never know and that leads me into the unknown part of my post.

We just don't know what is going to happen with the NBA. The thing is between now and June 30th a lot can happen. It very well could be that after negotiations with the Players and Owners are over and hopefully an agreement is reached, cap space is so much more important. What if there is a hard cap... Do you think teams that are close to it but aren't any good would be willing to trade away talent so they can have some breathing room? Heck maybe having cap room won't mean anything when the new deal is made. There is just so much that we don't know right now and I think that is getting under a lot of people's skin. We don't know what teams might start a fire sale like the Jazz did this year. With so much uncertainty and what if's I will say that while I am disappointed we didn't get Mayo, I am still LOVING the cap flexibility we have and regardless of what might happen I would rather be a team that can now go out and buy a draft pick, or make a trade where we can take on more salary than we send out. Yes Pacer fans we are finally FREE and come Draft time and June 30th (before the CBA agreement runs out) I would rather be in our shoes then most of the other teams out there.
    Bingo.