Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

One thought occurred to me on the new CBA and all the benefits that Pacers may get. I don't think the big money/big market teams are going to allowed themselves to be screwed in this deal. The talk of a hard cap where teams will just have to jettison players to get under I think has NO chance of happening. I can't see the big spending teams ever allowing this to happen.

I mostly think the whole, the small market team will benefit great thing is being over played in the CBA speculations by the media.

Not being pessimistic, just saying the Pacers may benefit from cap space, but it may not be as much as is being speculated.

Last thing, how much will they be under the real salary cap, not the luxury tax? Do we know? Thats the main number to consider now I think since the expirings are now a moot point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They wanted another PF, not a guard.
    So you're telling me that Memphis didn't think they could flip two 1st round draft picks that were given to them into a solid PF?

Two 1st rounders can get a lot done in this league.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    I don't see Bird trading BRush for anybody but Landry. All the ones you mentioned just doesn't equate, talent-wise.
    I don't....if there was to be some 3 way trade involving BRush / Landry / Thornton....why would it be handled in this fashion at the last second?

Why not do it as a 3 Team trade when the Kings and Hornets made the deal 2 days ago?

To me, its reasonable to assume the following as to how it panned out:

- Bird is convinced that we can live with Hansbrough handling an increased # of minutes for the rest of the season.
    - We send out McBob+1st for OJ...we therefore need some Frontcourt Depth to make up for the loss of McBob.
    - The Hornets having an apparent need for a solid Perimeter Defender ( something that Marcus Thornton wasn't good at doing ) coming off the bench that can hit the 3pt shot and a minor need to thin out the Frontcourt ( now that they have Landry ) may be interested in some deal involving BRush.
    - With the previous relationship involving the Murphy/DC/Ariza trade....Bird calls up the Hornets to work out something.
    - Since the Pacers would have sent out their 1st round pick for OJ....Bird asks for a draft pick ( I don't know if it's a 1st or 2nd round pick ) to come back since BRush has more value then the likely combination of Frontcourt Players coming back.
    - Bird calls Stern and gets put on hold.
    - While Bird is listening to "Elevator music" on hold.....sometime after 3:01pm, the Hornets get cold feet and screw us out of a solid deal.

I know that there is some huge assumptions made here.....but if the deal was involving Landry.....Bird would have been working the phones way before this OJ deal came up.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-25-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    But the pacers were calling the league for reason to get the trade approved. So the Hornets had to be in at that point. or maybe the reason the call was late is because the Hornets backed out at the last minute, but then why was Bird calling? Unless he was calling to get the league to report a trade that didn't include the hornets.

None of it makes much sense to me.
    Something just doesn't add up here....hence the thread that was created that this was a "hoax".

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I don't....if there was to be some 3 way trade involving BRush / Landry / Thornton....why would it be handled in this fashion at the last second?

Why not do it as a 3 Team trade when the Kings and Hornets made the deal 2 days ago?

To me, its reasonable to assume the following as to how it panned out:

- Bird is convinced that we can live with Hansbrough handling an increased # of minutes for the rest of the season.
    - We send out McBob+1st for OJ...we therefore need some Frontcourt Depth to make up for the loss of McBob.
    - The Hornets having an apparent need for a solid Perimeter Defender ( something that Marcus Thornton wasn't good at doing ) coming off the bench that can hit the 3pt shot and a minor need to thin out the Frontcourt ( now that they have Landry ) may be interested in some deal involving BRush.
    - With the previous relationship involving the Murphy/DC/Ariza trade....Bird calls up the Hornets to work out something.
    - Since the Pacers would have sent out their 1st round pick for OJ....Bird asks for a draft pick ( I don't know if it's a 1st or 2nd round pick ) to come back since BRush has more value then the likely combination of Frontcourt Players coming back.
    - Bird calls Stern and gets put on hold.
    - While Bird is listening to "Elevator music" on hold.....sometime after 3:01pm, the Hornets get cold feet and screw us out of a solid deal.

I know that there is some huge assumptions made here.....but if the deal was involving Landry.....Bird would have been working the phones way before this OJ deal came up.
    Agree to disagree. Landry is a FA this summer and NO has a strong possibility of losing him for nothing and converting him into a SG that would pair nicely with CP3 and is on a rookie contract is something I'm all over if I'm NO.

And I'm not sure that the draft pick from NO would be all that good to warrant giving up BRush for Mbenga or other non-Landry filler.

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    So you're telling me that Memphis didn't think they could flip two 1st round draft picks that were given to them into a solid PF?

Unless you're the Bulls.

Didn't we have a team with a few OJ Mayos and we got rid of them? I don't see how getting him would have helped this franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    I'll listen to the show once it's available online. But I'm sure that it was a what if kind of statement rather than an absolute. Otherwise, we would have read it from another source by now. Regardless, how can you net West from a trade of Rush and SJones, and why would NO be giving up a first to us in the same trade?

Jeez, we could have also attempted to throw in all-nighters with each of the Pacemates and NO would never have made that trade. It would have been the Collison trade x 10.

No effing way. So here I'm calling that BS. Grady pulled this one from the southern end of his torso.
    Listen to it than since im just full of **** right? I dont care what you want to call it, it is what it is. Grady knows more hears more than the average fan so Im sure he knows what hes talking about. We would of included Mayo as well and a pick. Makes sense for all involved, at least to me I guess.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    Why? They obviously almost did. The are 3rd to last in scoring in the NBA. West is a free agent after the year, why wouldnt they try to get some value for him? OJ becomes their starting 2, a position they definitely needed an upgrade, plus he's a scorer. Landry would of slid into the starting 4 spot, who averaged 18 and 6.5 after the trade that sent him to Sactown where he became the starter. Thats a point and a rebound less than West is averaging right now. Makes sense but who cares anymore, nothing happened. Just thought I would share what I heard.
    Ignoring that Landry isn't half the rebounder and not nearly as good of a scorer as David West is.......this is not one of those cases where "OJ+Landry EQUALS the loss of West"....if anything...it would likely affected their Playoff chances by losing a proven vet like West.

One more thing...Monty Williams benched then traded Marcus Thornton ( their highly touted rookie last season ) because Thornton sucked it up on the defensive end....OJ Mayo ( from what I have heard ) defense isn't that good. This is why I could see the Hornets having more interest in a Player like BRush ( who does play defense ) while keeping David West over making some trade involving OJ+Landry while losing David West in the process.
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-25-2011 at 02:56 PM.

These were Jason Whitlock's tweets yesterday:

Indianapolis marijuana dealers planning to protest NBA offices demanding that Mayo be united with Stephenson and Rush. #blow2theconomy

Thank God Bird missed the trade deadline. Word is w/Mayo, Lance Stephenson and BRush on same team, u couldn't buy any good weed in Indy.

OJ Mayo! OJ Mayo! Did Larry Bird learn nothing from Artest era? I got 2 root for OJ Mayo? Why? Please let Larry Legend take over the Celtics

Whether you liked the trade or not, do we really want the national media talking about us like this again? I know Whitlock can be a douche, but still reading those yesterday made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by BPump33 View Post
    These were Jason Whitlock's tweets yesterday:

Indianapolis marijuana dealers planning to protest NBA offices demanding that Mayo be united with Stephenson and Rush. #blow2theconomy

Thank God Bird missed the trade deadline. Word is w/Mayo, Lance Stephenson and BRush on same team, u couldn't buy any good weed in Indy.

OJ Mayo! OJ Mayo! Did Larry Bird learn nothing from Artest era? I got 2 root for OJ Mayo? Why? Please let Larry Legend take over the Celtics

Whether you liked the trade or not, do we really want the national media talking about us like this again? I know Whitlock can be a douche, but still reading those yesterday made me sick.
    Well he has a point with Rush, but I didn't know Lance and OJ were considered stoners?

People just love to hate the Pacers and want them to be bad boys... even 7 years after the brawl with all the milk drinking american role models we have had.

Sports Logo

Agree to disagree. Landry is a FA this summer and NO has a strong possibility of losing him for nothing and converting him into a SG that would pair nicely with CP3 and is on a rookie contract is something I'm all over if I'm NO.
    You're losing me here.....Landry being a UFA ( and therefore the Hornets could lose him and get nothing in return for him ) has nothing to do with including him in some last minute "2nd deal" involving BRush.

Unless the intention of the Hornets FO was to "flip" Landry immediately to a Team looking for some Frontcourt Depth......it simply doesn't make sense to have 2 separate deals that get them Landry instead of making some 3-Team trade involving Indy/SacTown/NO.

To me, that wouldn't only make any sense...it would be risky without having a deal in place with Indy ALREADY. If that was the case ( as in having 2 separate deals instead of a single 3 Team trade ), then the Hornets run the risk of being stuck with Landry ( a Player that they had no intention of keeping in the first place because...as you say....they don't want to lose a Player that they just traded for a day before for nothing ) IF ( for some reason ) the separate "Landry for BRush" deal with the Pacers falls through ( which ended up happening ).

It's more reasonable to assume that the Hornets picked up Landry for the same reason why the Thunder jettisoned Jeff Green for Kendrick Perkins ( a UFA )....to add some solid depth in the Frontcourt for a Playoff Push...even if it meant renting him for a few months.

And I'm not sure that the draft pick from NO would be all that good to warrant giving up BRush for Mbenga or other non-Landry filler.
    JMHO....but the Pacers clearly have little interest in keeping BRush for the long-haul....IF they are able to get a 1st round pick for him ( my guess is that it would have been a 1st...not a 2nd round pick for him ) while adding little to no 2011-2012 Salary..then it's fair value. With the multiple attempts at moving BRush over the last couple of seasons....getting a 1st round pick for him maybe worth it to the Pacers FO.

But as you say....this is all based off of our own assumptions....so overall....yes, we agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

I read somewhere that the Grizzlies owner (Michael Heisley) still owns a house in the Chicago area and he doesn't want to help them gain any sort of competitive advantage. I think it was ESPN somewhere. Also, the Grizzlies had their rendezvous with Brewer last year and obviously didn't want him back. They are trying to make the playoffs this year and had plenty of wing depth, so they wanted another frontcourt player to prepare for the Lakers, Spurs, and Thunders of the world. I think our first round pick is more attractive to them as well. You know the Bulls will be picking in the late 20s for the forseeable future, while our pick has a chance to be lottery (or mid teens) this year. At first glance the Chicago offer clearly looks superior, but upon further investigation I think the offers were closer than it might seem.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    Well he has a point with Rush, but I didn't know Lance and OJ were considered stoners?

People just love to hate the Pacers and want them to be bad boys... even 7 years after the brawl with all the milk drinking american role models we have had.
    OJ got picked up for possession in HS, but charges were dropped when somebody else in the car later claimed it.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I just can't wait for the game tonight i'm done thinkin about what could have been. I didn't really like the trade to begin with so I guess i'm not as frustrated, but I wouldn't continually torture myself on something that's not happening.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

This is how I reconstruct the events of the Mayo trade, and it all sort of makes sense in my mind. So anyway...

1. Grizz have just completed a deal for Battier, creating a logjam at 2/3. At the same time they needed an extra big. So they started looking at bigs they like, one of which is McBob.

2. Pacers and Grizz agree in principle to a trade involving Mayo for McBob and first. However, Memphis doesn't want to add any salary - part of their rationale for trading Mayo is to clear cap to re-sign Gasol and Randolph. Mayo for McBob straight up doesn't work though.

3. Pacers look for a third team to absorb salary that otherwise would have gone to Memphis. They find NOH willing to take Rush and Solo for a package of their excess bigs (probably Smith or Andersen, plus another player).

4. By now it's almost deadline. The teams put in the conference call, but while on hold NOH pulls out (as per Wells). No reason has been given for their pullout.

5. Pacers ask for extension to find another team to complete the deal. NOH's part is relatively minor after all - it shouldn't be too hard to recruit another team. Perhaps Pacers even succeeded, as per some reports. In any case, league says they're past the deadline.

Seems to me this timeline satisfactorily explains those reports we've had. Or maybe not.

streets ahead

This is how Bucher reconstructs events
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37104

Matt (Indy)
    Give us the scoop, Ric: Exactly how and why did the Pacers/Grizzlies/Hornets trade fall through? Also, it sounds like it was Rush and Solo going to N.O., but who was coming FROM N.O.? How big of a set-back was this for all teams involved?

Ric Bucher (1:20 PM)
    As I understand it, Brandon Rush was supposed to go to NO. NO wasn't putting anybody in the deal, if I have it correctly, they were merely offering cap room for Indy. I believe the problem arose because NO is league-owned and Mark Cuban already was upset that a team he owns 1/30th spent money to make the Carl Landry deal without his approval. I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't check on NO's cap situation, but as I understand it they were not putting anything into the deal. When the deal came into the league office, the league balked at NO being involved and it was too late to go back an construct the deal as straight between Memphis and Indy. But, as I understand it, it was the Pacers who wanted NO to be part of the deal and initially passed on the two-team deal.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This is how I reconstruct the events of the Mayo trade, and it all sort of makes sense in my mind. So anyway...

1. Grizz have just completed a deal for Battier, creating a logjam at 2/3. At the same time they needed an extra big. So they started looking at bigs they like, one of which is McBob.

2. Pacers and Grizz agree in principle to a trade involving Mayo for McBob and first. However, Memphis doesn't want to add any salary - part of their rationale for trading Mayo is to clear cap to re-sign Gasol and Randolph. Mayo for McBob straight up doesn't work though.

3. Pacers look for a third team to absorb salary that otherwise would have gone to Memphis. They find NOH willing to take Rush and Solo for a package of their excess bigs (probably Smith or Andersen, plus another player).

4. By now it's almost deadline. The teams put in the conference call, but while on hold NOH pulls out (as per Wells). No reason has been given for their pullout.

5. Pacers ask for extension to find another team to complete the deal. NOH's part is relatively minor after all - it shouldn't be too hard to recruit another team. Perhaps Pacers even succeeded, as per some reports. In any case, league says they're past the deadline.

Seems to me this timeline satisfactorily explains those reports we've had. Or maybe not.
    I'm right there with you....but with all the odd questions here and there that are left unanswered....this whole fiasco/conspiracy is beginning to rank up there with whether we truly landed on the moon or not and whether there truly was shooter on the grassy knoll....we may simply never know.

Banned

I still think we were getting Dwest from NO, the rumor was that Rush and Solo were going there, I think it was Rush+Solo+ trade exception for Dwest.

I think the main issue for New Orleans to get out of this deal was because they don't want to remove him from CP3 and make him mad.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-25-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I don't want to read about this anymore.
    Seconded.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I still think we were getting Dwest from NO, the rumor was that Rush and Solo were going there, I think it was Rush+Solo+ trade exception for Dwest.
    Great thought. Well, except for the whole "can't combine a trade exception with players" technicality.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Great thought. Well, except for the whole "can't combine a trade exception with players" technicality.
    How about cash? can they do that?

The trade machine lets you combine players with exceptions by the way

Also, the whole "Mayo to the Pacers" thing. If David West were involved, it would be the "David West trade", with Mayo as a footnote.

I have yet to see a shred of proof that either West or Landry were involved. We needed N.O.'s help to make it work financially. We weren't in a position to demand their good players.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    How about cash? can they do that?

The trade machine lets you combine players with exceptions by the way
    Cash doesn't count for salary matching.

You must be misunderstanding the trade machine. You can't combine player + exception to match a larger salary.

Anyway, the trade machine data is still there. Go ahead and knock yourself out trying to construct a legal trade.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Also, the whole "Mayo to the Pacers" thing. If David West were involved, it would be the "David West trade", with Mayo as a footnote.

I have yet to see a shred of proof that either West or Landry were involved. We needed N.O.'s help to make it work financially. We weren't in a position to demand their good players.
    I think is possible that NO didn't want to lose Dwest for nothing and was trying to trade him, not sure but is possible.