Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

It appears to me Bird feels Hansbrough is ready to play 30+ minutes a night , as a result McRoberts will see less time from now on . He saw Mayo as an upgrade over Rush and could also get rid of Soloman Jones at the same time.

If Josh wanted after the season and the Pacers found it was a mistake trading him they simply could sign him as a free agent.

Mayo who is being bashed here at 23 with a fresh start would fit the Pacers plans long term if he showed he wanted to fit - I value Jalen Rose's comments when the Pacers acquired Rose he was considered a malcontent in Denver but flurished here under Bird. Jalen was speaking from personal experience and I'm sure with knowledge of Mayo as a person.

I DO HOPE Bird makes every effort to get Mayo this summer . I believe the doubters will regret the trade failed as time goes on. Mayo at 6'4 can play some point guard too , seems to me the fact Bird wanted him shows he's less than satisfied with Rush and Price in my opinion.

I like Josh but with Hansbrough here I truly see Josh going back to being a 15 minute a game sub if he is even here next season.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Where the **** did all these " Thug player lovin people" come from???
    I wish there had been more on here to join me in complaining about getting rid of talented but thuggish guys a few years back.

The weird thing is I couldn't agree...less. CHEMISTRY is the key. Day one our team has got along great and I personally think Jmac is crucial. There's a reason why Memphis wanted him out of all our players. He's an intangible guy, like a Rambis, Birdman, Bowen.
    How hard is it too find a guy willing to do that??? Memphis had definitely seen the tape on him, or maybe Conley told em.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First, Mayo is pretty light on the "thug" scale. I think with the changed expectations on this team from 4 years ago he'd be fine.

Second, my understanding from piecing multiple stories together is that NO backed out and Bird was able to get ANOTHER TEAM involved at the last minute, just not fast enough. Doesn't he deserve some props for that?

Third, I've seen some people blaming the Pacers for insisting that a third team be involved to make the financials work. Make no mistake, if we were dealing only with Memphis we'd have been giving up a player of equal or higher value than Josh to make the salaries fit - and I think everyone would have been very disappointed. I'm glad Bird stuck to his guns rather than being railroaded.

Fourth, it has been mentioned that this is a failure by Bird because he always wants to "win" the deal. Well, what other reason is there to make a deal? Just to shuffle players around (if you "break even") or to lose the deal by taking a flyer on it?

Fifth, I find it ironic that if Memphis hadn't messed up and announced this before it was final then a lot of posters on here would have refused to believe Bird was doing anything and would have insisted he sat on his hands - in spite of any news reports to the contrary - since no deal was done. This might actually have been a good thing in that it proves Larry wasn't just out fishin'

Sixth, considering the opinions on this deal are almost dead even split between like and dislike - with a huge "meh" contingent - I can't believe this is the make-or-break moment.

And finally, just 6 months ago Bird came up with a blockbuster steal of a trade. Now that time ran out on him, he's suddenly totally incompetent? Some folks need to remember that there is a huge span between "sucks rocks" and "walks on water".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you going to complain the next time the shot clock expires before the Pacers get a shot off? It's the same thing.
    Thank you. A rule is a rule. Period.

From my perspective, it was pretty obvious that the Carmello trade backed everything up. A lot of teams were probably waiting to see if they could somehow be dragged into that trade as a 3rd or 4th team and possibly benefit from it.

Without doubt, the Pacers had been working on the trade all day long as evidenced by the Memphis GM stating that they had internally argued about trading Mayo "all day long".

We really don't know at what point, but the Pacers drug the Hornets into the trade as well. And, they also had the Bulls compounding the decision making by also making a very strong bid for Mayo.

I'm really thinking that this process took nearly all of the available time before the deadline. I think that the teams involved probably had a deal together "in principle only". But once you involve that third team in the deal then the deal, and therefore the agreement, is about three teams, not two.

At some point very late in the game, it apears the Hornets dropped out. As far as we know, it could have even been when the Bird or the three GMs were on the phone with the league office to consumate the deal. But again, once the third team drops out, it's not the same deal, not the same trade. It takes a new agreement. That probably takes a few minutes for Bird and the Memphis GM to talk to confirm that they will still go ahead with the trade. And somewhere in this entire process, we either got bit in the butt, or bit ourselves in the butt.

It's done; for JC's sake, move on! Get the hell over it! It no longer matters where the process broke down. You can re-live it a thousand times and you will end up with the same result. No trade was completed.

Nothing else really matters. Be pissed and confused that we didn't make a trade if you want. But the reasons are really irrelevant. It simply did not get done.

Move on.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    First, Mayo is pretty light on the "thug" scale. I think with the changed expectations on this team from 4 years ago he'd be fine.

Second, my understanding from piecing multiple stories together is that NO backed out and Bird was able to get ANOTHER TEAM involved at the last minute, just not fast enough. Doesn't he deserve some props for that?

Third, I've seen some people blaming the Pacers for insisting that a third team be involved to make the financials work. Make no mistake, if we were dealing only with Memphis we'd have been giving up a player of equal or higher value than Josh to make the salaries fit - and I think everyone would have been very disappointed. I'm glad Bird stuck to his guns rather than being railroaded.

Fourth, it has been mentioned that this is a failure by Bird because he always wants to "win" the deal. Well, what other reason is there to make a deal? Just to shuffle players around (if you "break even") or to lose the deal by taking a flyer on it?

Fifth, I find it ironic that if Memphis hadn't messed up and announced this before it was final then a lot of posters on here would have refused to believe Bird was doing anything and would have insisted he sat on his hands - in spite of any news reports to the contrary - since no deal was done. This might actually have been a good thing in that it proves Larry wasn't just out fishin'

Sixth, considering the opinions on this deal are almost dead even split between like and dislike - with a huge "meh" contingent - I can't believe this is the make-or-break moment.

And finally, just 6 months ago Bird came up with a blockbuster steal of a trade. Now that time ran out on him, he's suddenly totally incompetent? Some folks need to remember that there is a huge span between "sucks rocks" and "walks on water".
    I think this is the post that should end all the trade deadline discussion (excellent post), lets get back to the current team as it as we get set to play two very important games this weekend, Because the schedule gets very tough next week. Thunder and Mavs or no

"No question, Mayo has some baggage. He was suspended in high school for an altercation with an official. He was charged with marijuana possession in high school. He got USC put on NCAA probation for accepting freebies.

After a remarkable rookie season in 2008-09 (18.5 points per game) and a solid second season (17.5 ppg), he has gone south in his third season, averaging 12.1 points in 28 minutes, primarily coming off the bench. This season has been a mess: He was late for a game-day shootaround and was pulled from the starting lineup. He got in a fight on a plane with a teammate. And he was suspended 10 games for taking a banned substance, DHEA, which he said he ingested from an over-the-counter energy drink he got at a gas station."

Are we serious? Kravitz is such a hypocrite. The past two years even the sniff of a head case near the locker room and he was all over Larry Bird. NOW he's willing to over look baggage for the sake of talent and blame Larry Bird for not brining it here.

Plus nothing he's said in this article amounts to journalism. Kravitz has essentially read an ESPN article and Twitter and formulated this with out any due diligence on his part. If I had a print copy of the indy star, I'm pretty sure I would use this article as toilet paper.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

No ****ing kidding.

I'm one of the 'disappointed' after this fell through, but I'm incredulous at a lot of the (over) reactions I'm reading on here today. Good grief!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

This whole deal would not of netted us OJ Mayo, it would of gotten us David West. We were to trade our 1st rd pick with Jmac to Memphis for OJ than turn around and flip him, Rush, and Solo and a pick to N.O. for David West.

Just to reiterate what 'Buck's saying, something is still very fishy here. We're missing a very important detail that would tie this all together.

Maybe it's possible to phone in a deal before the ink is dry. I don't know, but there's more to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert View Post
    This whole deal would not of netted us OJ Mayo, it would of gotten us David West. We were to trade our 1st rd pick with Jmac to Memphis for OJ than turn around and flip him, Rush, and Solo and a pick to N.O. for David West.
    Unless you have sources, this doesn't make sense. Bird's already said he thought Mayo would've been perfect for us, meaning Mayo's the person he wanted.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Do you have any proof of this?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Unless you have sources, this doesn't make sense. Bird's already said he thought Mayo would've been perfect for us, meaning Mayo's the person he wanted.
    I don't think that is what the deal was but it does make a hell of a lot more sense than just a straight Josh for Mayo swap.

For us anyway. It also explains why NOLA backed out. Because that is a terrible deal for them.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

If that was the deal, I'm better off not knowing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    It makes complete sense, just heard it on 1070 the fan.

It makes complete sense, just heard it on 1070 the fan.
    Who did you hear, and what did they say? It sounds like speculation.

Sports Logo

Based off of what we know about the Hornets offer ( from Wells ), if the Pacers send out BRush + Solo, their combined 2010-2011 Salary is roughly $3.57 mil.....this means that they can take in 2 Players with a combined 2010-2011 Salary range ( roughly ) between $3 mil to $4.25 mil ( no more no less ).

The only 2 "unnamed" Hornets Player combination that would fit within the Salary range are the following 2-Player combination:

1 ) Aaron Gray + Jason Smith = $3.21 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    2 ) Aaron Gray + David Anderson = $3.53 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    3 ) DJ Mbenga + Jason Smith = $3.04 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    4 ) DJ Mbenga + David Anderson = $3.35 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary

Although Quincy Pondexter and Carl Landry have the only Salaries that fit...I doubt that the Hornets would include either of them since they are highly valued prospects. As for anyone else on the roster ( like Jarrett Jack ), I could be wrong...but everyone else on the Hornets roster wouldn't fit "salary-wise".

So if the Hornets didn't back out, we would have been looking at the following scenario:

BRush+Solo+McBob+1st round Pick

for

OJ Mayo + 2 Serviceable Hornets Big Men + a ( likely ) 1st or ( possibly...but unlikely ) 2nd round Draft pick.

Not bad....if you ask me. I don't know about you...but I hope that the next time we play the Hornets...we crush them.

NOTE - or what pwee31 said in 2 sentences on the 1st page of this thread .
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-25-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Who did you hear, and what did they say? It sounds like speculation.
    The Grady and Big Joe Show, Michael Grady was the one who stated that.

The Grady and Big Joe Show, Michael Grady was the one who stated that.
    Excuse me while i go and jump off a bridge.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

It's complete speculation on their part guys..

Are you kidding me? Do you all really think that Bird would of given up Josh at this point along with our first just for OJ Mayo? He has spent too many years ridding this team of bad eggs just to now add another one who was just involved in two seperate incidents which made him look immature and not a very good team guy/locker room guy to have. We wouldnt of done that deal if that was it. N.O. just got Landry who is more than capable of starting in this league which he showed 2 yrs ago and David West is no sure thing to come back with them next year so to get a nice young talented scoring 2 to pair with Paul, Ariza, and Landry, that makes a decent team.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Based off of what we know about the Hornets offer ( from Wells ), if the Pacers send out BRush + Solo, their combined 2010-2011 Salary is roughly $3.57 mil.....this means that they can take in 2 Players with a combined 2010-2011 Salary range ( roughly ) between $3 mil to $4.25 mil ( no more no less ).

The only 2 "unnamed" Hornets Player combination that would fit within the Salary range are the following 2-Player combination:

1 ) Aaron Gray + Jason Smith = $3.21 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    2 ) Aaron Gray + David Anderson = $3.53 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    3 ) DJ Mbenga + Jason Smith = $3.04 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary
    4 ) DJ Mbenga + David Anderson = $3.35 mil in combined 2010-2011 Salary

Although Quincy Pondexter and Carl Landry have the only Salaries that fit...I doubt that the Hornets would include either of them since they are highly valued prospects. As for anyone else on the roster ( like Jarrett Jack ), I could be wrong...but everyone else on the Hornets roster wouldn't fit "salary-wise".

So if the Hornets didn't back out, we would have been looking at the following scenario:

BRush+Solo+McBob+1st round Pick

for

OJ Mayo + 2 Serviceable Hornets Big Men + a ( likely ) 1st or ( possibly...but unlikely ) 2nd round Draft pick.

Not bad....if you ask me. I don't know about you...but I hope that the next time we play the Hornets...we crush them.

NOTE - or what pwee31 said in 2 sentences on the 1st page of this thread .
    I don't see Bird trading BRush for anybody but Landry. All the ones you mentioned just doesn't equate, talent-wise.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We would have got the 2 servicible bigs from Hornets to fill the 10 minutes max left backing up Hansbrough and a few minutes for Granger at pf each night. Mbenga a good defender would have prob been a situational defender . Plus a 1st and a 2nd rounder.

There is no way the Hornets in a playoff run deal David West at this time.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I know the pacers will likely have to give up more, but I still don't understand why the trade cannot be revisited this summer. if the Grizzlies really wanted Josh, then a sign and trade can be worked out and iof the Griz want an expiring contract for next year we can include Posey
    The assumption is that the Grizzlies wanted to add some Frontcourt depth to their current Playoff run since Darrell Arthur, ZBo and Gasol are the only 3 viable Frontcourt Players. If that is the case, they weren't as much interested SPECIFICALLY in McBob....but interested in getting another serviceable PF to add to their rotation.

After this season...it's likely that ZBo will be gone...so the Grizzlies maybe interested in moving Mayo...but not as interested in McBob the Player. They needed McBob for this year's Playoff run....by the start of the 2011-2012 Offseason...they may have different plans.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'll listen to the show once it's available online. But I'm sure that it was a what if kind of statement rather than an absolute. Otherwise, we would have read it from another source by now. Regardless, how can you net West from a trade of Rush and SJones, and why would NO be giving up a first to us in the same trade?

Jeez, we could have also attempted to throw in all-nighters with each of the Pacemates and NO would never have made that trade. It would have been the Collison trade x 10.

No effing way. So here I'm calling that BS. Grady pulled this one from the southern end of his torso.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00 View Post
    We would have got the 2 servicible bigs from Hornets to fill the 10 minutes max left backing up Hansbrough and a few minutes for Granger at pf each night. Mbenga a good defender would have prob been a situational defender . Plus a 1st and a 2nd rounder.

There is no way the Hornets in a playoff run deal David West at this time.
    Why? They obviously almost did. The are 3rd to last in scoring in the NBA. West is a free agent after the year, why wouldnt they try to get some value for him? OJ becomes their starting 2, a position they definitely needed an upgrade, plus he's a scorer. Landry would of slid into the starting 4 spot, who averaged 18 and 6.5 after the trade that sent him to Sactown where he became the starter. Thats a point and a rebound less than West is averaging right now. Makes sense but who cares anymore, nothing happened. Just thought I would share what I heard.