Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

I wonder if there is a chance the Pacers will try for Mayo again before the draft.

I still think Mayo has good value and could be used to upgrade our PF.

A Mayo/Collison backcourt does not sound good long term.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league /// Wells Article with Trade Details

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is something that I don't understand. If O.J. Mayo is worth the risk, why weren't any other teams attempting to trade for him. The kid has been made available by Memphis since basically the beginning of the season. If he is truly worth the risk, you would think that a team like Chicago, who greatly needed a SG to put next to Rose, would've gone after Mayo.

I'm perfectly fine with this trade not going through. We've got a game against the Jazz tonight. Moving on...
    I like this team. I'm really hoping this doesn't hamper their play.

I keep reading the boards hoping somehow this trade went through

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I still think Mayo has good value and could be used to upgrade our PF.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is something that I don't understand. If O.J. Mayo is worth the risk, why weren't any other teams attempting to trade for him. The kid has been made available by Memphis since basically the beginning of the season. If he is truly worth the risk, you would think that a team like Chicago, who greatly needed a SG to put next to Rose, would've gone after Mayo.

I'm perfectly fine with this trade not going through. We've got a game against the Jazz tonight. Moving on...
    Chicago did go after him. Hard. They offered Ronnie Brewer, 2 1st round picks, and 1 2nd round pick.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news.../25/hes-baack/

The Grizzlies tried to send O.J. Mayo to Indiana for a first-round pick and forward Josh McRoberts. That deal fell apart on the Indiana end of things. It was either hilarious or embarrassing, depending on your perspective. Heisley had already been quoted about the Mayo deal. 'I think it's probably best for the Grizzlies and best for O.J. that he'll get to play for a team where he can get a lot more minutes,' said Heisley. Whoopsie. But, then, they wouldn't be the Grizzlies if they didn't screw up somehow -- and this screw-up could work out for the best. Mayo may not be beloved by head coach Lionel Hollins, but he's worth a darn sight more than McRoberts and a draft pick. Heisley wouldn't even admit to being disappointed that the deal fell through. 'No, I'm not,' he said. 'To tell you the truth, we spent all day arguing about it.' "

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

As someone who often is critical of Kravitz, I will say that was one of his better columns.

I will dispute the claim he makes here though.
    In a league where expiring contracts are incredibly valuable assets, especially at a time when the salary cap is going to be slashed, the Pacers failed to move any of those assets.
    From several to a dozen NBA insiders across the spectrum, they have all said that right now teams aren't looking for cap space, they aren't necessarily looking to get players on the last year of their deal. In previous years our expirings would have had more trade value

I think this trade was a no-brainer for the Pacers and I would like to know exactly where the mistake was made if there was one

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

If he is truly worth the risk, you would think that a team like Chicago, who greatly needed a SG to put next to Rose, would've gone after Mayo.
    Chicago Bulls made strong effort to land O.J. Mayo at NBA trade deadline - ChicagoTribune.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I'd assume he means as future trade bait.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Honestly, I think we lost out on a deal that could've been another Collison-sized steal. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I need to go wash it away with a glass of o.j... Oh God...

We won't know how significant all this is for a couple of years when we find out how good Mayo will become.

I know the pacers will likely have to give up more, but I still don't understand why the trade cannot be revisited this summer. if the Grizzlies really wanted Josh, then a sign and trade can be worked out and iof the Griz want an expiring contract for next year we can include Posey

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I think people are incredibly overating OJ Mayo right now.
    Perhaps true, but I think people are incredibly, amazingly, stupendously overating Josh McRoberts on here every day.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Default Re: Kravitz Take on Mayo Trade Collapse: NO backs out when we're on hold with the league

Quote Originally Posted by Gremz View Post
    I'm still bewildered here, as haven't they given extensions past the deadline in the past for deals that were essentially done? (Wasn't Ronnie Brewer's trade to Memphis similar?)

Something just doesn't seem right.
    Said this before, Stern hates the Pacers. That's what doesn't seem right! I can imagine Larry calling to register the trade, the NBA answering the phone, seeing it's a 317 area code, then saying, please hold............................3:01, trade deadline over, thank you for calling. Come again.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We won't know how significant all this is for a couple of years when we find out how good Mayo will become.

I know the pacers will likely have to give up more, but I still don't understand why the trade cannot be revisited this summer. if the Grizzlies really wanted Josh, then a sign and trade can be worked out and iof the Griz want an expiring contract for next year we can include Posey
    If they want him why would they even bother approaching Indiana about a sign-and-trade? They could just sign him without giving up anything.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

So Larry still loves (especially) our core and also thinks Mayo would have "perfect" for us....

Emotions aside, I'm confused about this. I'd like to invite analytical comments (with a little detail, please) on comparing the following two (future) starting lineups. Which do you favor and why?

Memphis
    PG M Conley
    SG X Henry
    SF R Gay
    PF Z Randolph
    C M Gasol
    6th OJ Mayo

Indiana
    PG D Collison
    SG P George
    SF D Granger
    PF (D West)
    C R Hibbert
    6th OJ Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    If they want him why would they even bother approaching Indiana about a sign-and-trade? They could just sign him without giving up anything.
    I;'m not sure what the Grizzlies salary situation is, but they might not have the cap space. Maybe the pacers can pay Josh more than the Griz can, so a sign and trade is possible.

Banned

Assuming they resign Gasol for about $10M per, that'll put their cap at about $50M. That would give them up to around $8M to sign McBob, but they'd have to renounce Zach Randolph. If they resign Zach, they'd have the MLE to work with.

As for why they could prefer a S&T─it would save them cap space ($6-8M) or the MLE (depending on Randolph) to work with in free agency. They'd also likely be getting a 1st rounder from us. They may prefer the combination of those two things to Mayo.

Being under the cap is a wonderful asset. You see teams dump valuable players / draft picks to help them manage their salary in the offseason.

Also, consider the CBA situation -- if the cap is lowered, we could see a bunch of teams desperately trying to shed salary. And we will be there with open arms, capable of acquiring a number of players with our cap space.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to binarysolo For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Perhaps true, but I think people are incredibly, amazingly, stupendously overating Josh McRoberts on here every day.
    He's not Garnett.

Now, having established that, he does some pretty nice things on the court. And he's 23.

But my real issue is that we have something special going on in Indiana right now. We have a new coach, a winning streak, and a bunch of young guys all fired up and enthusiastic about reaching the playoffs and making some kind of mark.

This phenomenon that has emerged involves a number of things:

- Tyler's psycho physicality
    - Dahntay's smashmouth aggression
    - Foster's rediscovery of himself
    - The apparent brink of the emergence of Paul George
    - Hibbert's resurrection
    - The coining of "Goon Squad"

- And, yes, it includes the power dunks of Josh McRoberts, highlight blocks once in a while, and his very unique ability to bring the ball down the court and make a sweet dime as a near 7 footer.

Josh is a key part to this new identity. Maybe we can't keep him this summer, but I sure as heck want to see what this high-minded enthusiastic crew can pull off for the rest of the season.

A past trouble-maker, current drug offender would have completely changed what has just emerged in Indiana.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

with our cap space - would we be able to just receive a player without giving anyone back via "trade"? or would you atleast need to have some draft picks/money considerations involved?

Chicago did go after him. Hard. They offered Ronnie Brewer, 2 1st round picks, and 1 2nd round pick.
    I find it hard to believe that Memphis would turn down...

Ronnie Brewer
    2 1st round picks
    1 2nd round pick

but agree to...

Josh McRoberts
    1 1st round pick

Very hard to believe, and if it's actually true then Heisley is more of a moron than has been estimated before.
    Grown Man Ball

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    He's not Garnett.

Now, having established that, he does some pretty nice things on the court. And he's 23.

But my real issue is that we have something special going on in Indiana right now. We have a new coach, a winning streak, and a bunch of young guys all fired up and enthusiastic about reaching the playoffs and making some kind of mark.

This phenomenon that has emerged involves a number of things:

- Tyler's psycho physicality
    - Dahntay's smashmouth aggression
    - Foster's rediscovery of himself
    - The apparent brink of the emergence of Paul George
    - Hibbert's resurrection
    - The coining of "Goon Squad"

- And, yes, it includes the power dunks of Josh McRoberts, highlight blocks once in a while, and his very unique ability to bring the ball down the court and make a sweet dime as a near 7 footer.

Josh is a key part to this new identity. Maybe we can't keep him this summer, but I sure as heck want to see what this high-minded enthusiastic crew can pull off for the rest of the season.

A past trouble-maker, current drug offender would have completely changed what has just emerged in Indiana.

Good point. Time to get over this Mayo thing...

The problem I have with it is that it seems like we had to have our cake and eat it too. We simply ran out of time, but I question if we should've just taken Mayo for McRoberts and the first round pick, and worried about filling the rest of the roster or the jam at the wing position later in an additional trade.

This move was about acquiring more talent big picture, and I don't necessarily know that if it would've made us a much better team THIS year. However, going forward, yeah I think it would've.

Also, does the NBA really just have a single phone line on the trade deadline day for trades? Does anyone else think that seems ridiculous?
    Last edited by PR07; 02-25-2011 at 09:39 AM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    If we actually got screwed because the call was one minute late...

**** this league.
    Are you going to complain the next time the shot clock expires before the Pacers get a shot off? It's the same thing.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

I find it hard to believe that Memphis would turn down...

Ronnie Brewer
    2 1st round picks
    1 2nd round pick

but agree to...

Josh McRoberts
    1 1st round pick

Very hard to believe, and if it's actually true then Heisley is more of a moron than has been estimated before.
    They wanted another PF, not a guard.