Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 53

Thread: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

  1. #26

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not calling you out bro, but I dont understand why people are so quick to judge. Yes Mayo had some recruiting issues , but that is very common. He has not been in trouble in the courts, and his "ban" was for a sports drink
    A warning about sports drinks is clearly posted in the locker room of every NBA team in the league. So at worst he is dabbling in banned substances and at best he is a big bonehead. We need neither type here. He also apparently has anger issues. We've seen many people like this in the league. They do nothing for team chemistry, and more often than not, these people do not change. Again, no room for such a person in the Pacers locker room.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Reportedly, Bulls offered 3 1st picks and to take on a bad deal for Mayo, but Heisley declined due to personal grudge against the Bulls owner. On hoopshype twitter page atm.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...vs-mayo-emerge

    Sources have brought me up to speed on the details of Allen/Mayo I, and judging by the fruit of this fight -- a black eye for O.J. Mayo and a fine for Tony Allen -- there will not be a rematch.

    I'm told the two Memphis Grizzlies players, who are actually friends, scuffled over a debt of $7,500 that Mayo owed to Allen after losing in the card game Bourre.

    Allen, regarded as one of the toughest guys in the league, tried to avoid a confrontation, but Mayo trash-talked Allen for roughly 15 minutes, criticizing his game, bragging about how he was a better basketball player than Allen, about how he was a lottery pick.

    Allen was especially bothered by Mayo's chatter because they have a friendly relationship. Zach Randolph tried to play peacemaker, telling Mayo to stop ribbing Allen, but to no avail.

    Finally, Allen had enough and struck Mayo in the face. He then landed a succession of blows to Mayo's eye, mouth, shoulder and the side of his head. Mayo was able to get off a swing, but Allen ducked to avoid it and then clocked Mayo once more for good measure.


    As Apollo Creed said to the young upstart Rocky Balboa, "Ain't gonna' be no rematch.''
    That confrontation is 1 of the 2 times that Mayo has been suspended this season. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't happen.
    Grown Man Ball

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...vs-mayo-emerge



    That confrontation is 1 of the 2 times that Mayo has been suspended this season. Sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't happen.
    Well so he was a dick with his friend and got beaten up. I thought he had anger management issues himself. This isn't nearly as bad. He's no Artest, he just can't keep his mouth shut around his friends.

    I hadn't seen the particulars untill now, this makes me feel much better about his issues. Not nearly what I was afraid off.

  8. #30
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well so he was a dick with his friend and got beaten up. I thought he had anger management issues himself. This isn't nearly as bad. He's no Artest, he just can't keep his mouth shut around his friends.
    He's got an bad attitude problem, point blank. The worst part of it is he talks trash and then can't back up his mouth. Players like that don't fit the mold of the team we're trying to build.

    Talk it, walk it
    Grown Man Ball

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got an bad attitude problem, point blank. The worst part of it is he talks trash and then can't back up his mouth. Players like that don't fit the mold of the team we're trying to build.

    Talk it, walk it
    It's a ridiculous situation though. You play a game, you trash talk, and your friend punches you in the face.
    It's your own fault that you crossed the line, but on the other hand, people trash talk with friends all the time. Sometimes you get carried away and step over the line. It doesn't make you a bad person.
    Usually a friend doesn't punch you though just because you are over the line. But these guys are meant to be 'tough', so maybe it's different. If a friend punched me at a card game, I think I'd just freeze due to surprise, no punching back or anything.

  11. #32

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well so he was a dick with his friend and got beaten up. I thought he had anger management issues himself. This isn't nearly as bad. He's no Artest, he just can't keep his mouth shut around his friends.

    I hadn't seen the particulars untill now, this makes me feel much better about his issues. Not nearly what I was afraid off.
    Actually, he's kind of a young version of Artest in many ways. Not the sharpest tool, and a bad attitude. Would it surprise anyone if this guy "bumped" or actually hit an official or maybe a fan? Or sampled another one of his "energy beverages."

  12. #33

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's got an bad attitude problem, point blank. The worst part of it is he talks trash and then can't back up his mouth. Players like that don't fit the mold of the team we're trying to build.

    Talk it, walk it
    Some of you guys just don't get it. This has very little to do with one OJ Mayo. This is about buying cheap and selling high. IF we got Mayo and then traded him later next season for a couple of frist round picks or high quality basketball player then we win.

    Mayo has issues and I kind of wonder if Lance is just as talented as Mayo with less issues. MY point is that we could have MORE ASSETS to deal with next season when sign and trades are possible. IMO we need to expand our options for wheeling and dealing next season and Mayo would have provided that.

  13. #34
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, he's kind of a young version of Artest in many ways. Not the sharpest tool, and a bad attitude. Would it surprise anyone if this guy "bumped" or actually hit an official or maybe a fan? Or sampled another one of his "energy beverages."
    Well I'm not OJ's fan and don't follow him much, so I'll gladly agree if you put some facts behind your words. Just give me a little bit something to believe he's "stupid and has a bad attitude" and 'young Artest'.

    You say so why? Because you read it on espn?
    Because he talked trash to a friend?
    Because of illegal uni gifts and the 'energy drink'?
    All that says to me is that he's a dick with friends and possibly a cheater. I can live with that. Nothing there tells me he's stupid and will go and hit fans in the stands or ask for a time off to write songs, or beat up his teammates.
    If there are any other facts though, I'd love to read about it.

  14. #35
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some of you guys just don't get it. This has very little to do with one OJ Mayo. This is about buying cheap and selling high. IF we got Mayo and then traded him later next season for a couple of frist round picks or high quality basketball player then we win.

    Mayo has issues and I kind of wonder if Lance is just as talented as Mayo with less issues. MY point is that we could have MORE ASSETS to deal with next season when sign and trades are possible. IMO we need to expand our options for wheeling and dealing next season and Mayo would have provided that.
    Lance pushed his girlfriend down the stairs, among other things, and he has less issues than Mayo. I must really not know something terrible that Mayo did or said.

    Overall point, I agree, this was a buy low deal where either you sell high in a year, or you get a future starter.

  15. #36
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Nothing will ever light a fire under Brandon Rush this is now 3 straight trade deadlines the Pacers have tried to move him. Seems obvious Bird only extended his contract next season in hopes of getting something for him.

    As for McRoberts being the 1 of 2 pf's here - Jason Smith and D J Mbenga both pf's were likely the 2 Hornet players we were getting. I think Bird sees Tyler as a 30+ minute a night player , and saw Granger at pf for 8-10 minutes perhaps a night leaving 8-10 minutes for Posey-Mbenga and Smith to fill.

    Mayo at 6'4 can play point guard on a limited minutes basis and tho not a good defender does fill a role of a bigger pg to defend Stuckey, Billups types who abuse Collison. Something he also envisions Stephenson doing.

    I think if we remove homerism and look at how "nba experts" saw the failed deal you'll see they thought it was a steal for the Pacers.

    I'm not a huge Mayo fan but he'd have been a huge upgrade over Rush who Bird obviously wants to move. His attitude is a huge question but he has value around the league . He is the type who wants to take the big shot late in games and can create his own shot something at this point I only see Paul George on this team capable of doing.
    Last edited by diamonddave00; 02-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.

  16. #37
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I'm not OJ's fan and don't follow him much, so I'll gladly agree if you put some facts behind your words. Just give me a little bit something to believe he's "stupid and has a bad attitude" and 'young Artest'.

    You say so why? Because you read it on espn?
    Because he talked trash to a friend?
    Because of illegal uni gifts and the 'energy drink'?
    All that says to me is that he's a dick with friends and possibly a cheater. I can live with that. Nothing there tells me he's stupid and will go and hit fans in the stands or ask for a time off to write songs, or beat up his teammates.
    If there are any other facts though, I'd love to read about it.


    "USC signee O.J. Mayo faces a two-game suspension after being ejected from a game Friday night involving his Huntington (W.Va.) High team in which he received two technical fouls and reportedly initiated contact with an official.

    Mayo received one technical foul for taunting after scoring on a breakaway dunk, then a second technical for a verbal confrontation with players from the opposing team.

    Mayo reportedly followed an official to the scorer's table to dispute the call and made contact, after which the official dropped to the court."
    Grown Man Ball

  17. #38
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    "USC signee O.J. Mayo faces a two-game suspension after being ejected from a game Friday night involving his Huntington (W.Va.) High team in which he received two technical fouls and reportedly initiated contact with an official.

    Mayo received one technical foul for taunting after scoring on a breakaway dunk, then a second technical for a verbal confrontation with players from the opposing team.

    Mayo reportedly followed an official to the scorer's table to dispute the call and made contact, after which the official dropped to the court."
    Thank you for posting this. I thought I remembered something about him getting into it with an official when he was in high school.

  18. #39
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    "USC signee O.J. Mayo faces a two-game suspension after being ejected from a game Friday night involving his Huntington (W.Va.) High team in which he received two technical fouls and reportedly initiated contact with an official.

    Mayo received one technical foul for taunting after scoring on a breakaway dunk, then a second technical for a verbal confrontation with players from the opposing team.

    Mayo reportedly followed an official to the scorer's table to dispute the call and made contact, after which the official dropped to the court."
    Wasn't there later a video of the incident that showed the official flopping the whole 'contact'?

  19. #40
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't there later a video of the incident that showed the official flopping the whole 'contact'?
    Regardless if he flopped or not, players shouldn't be close enough to a ref to make ANY contact. Mayo is a bonehead and it dates all the way back to high school. There's no way around that fact.
    Grown Man Ball

  20. #41
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regardless if he flopped or not, players shouldn't be close enough to a ref to make ANY contact. Mayo is a bonehead and it dates all the way back to high school. There's no way around that fact.
    Of course they can. Arenas are loud. When players want to argue a call, they get close to refs. Just watch NBA games. Especially before the 'no complaining' rule.
    He either pushed the ref, or he didn't push him. If he went to argue a technical and the ref flopped, that hilarious and worth reading about, but that's about it.

    I kind of hate these kinds of stories. Some famous guy who was supposed to be the next LeBron falls into some ridiculous situation or trash talks too much, and suddenly there's a series of pulp fiction stories about what gangster he is. Put 3 of these ridiculous stories together, and he's a Freddie Krueger.
    Last edited by ballism; 02-25-2011 at 11:51 AM.

  21. #42

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well I'm not OJ's fan and don't follow him much, so I'll gladly agree if you put some facts behind your words. Just give me a little bit something to believe he's "stupid and has a bad attitude" and 'young Artest'.

    You say so why? Because you read it on espn?
    Because he talked trash to a friend?
    Because of illegal uni gifts and the 'energy drink'?
    All that says to me is that he's a dick with friends and possibly a cheater. I can live with that. Nothing there tells me he's stupid and will go and hit fans in the stands or ask for a time off to write songs, or beat up his teammates.
    If there are any other facts though, I'd love to read about it.
    Firstly I didn't say he was stupid. Not the sharpest tool in the shed is accurate based on the incidents already documented, even by you. Facts behind my words? What more do you want? A bonehead IMO is someone that exercises bad judgment on a consistent basis. Accepting illegal gifts and imbibing an questionable energy drink, fighting, making contact with an official? Really? You need more? We are not talking about having spread this over a 20 year career. This guy is young and not learning from mistakes. See above posts.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:


  23. #43
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course they can. Arenas are loud. When players want to argue a call, they get close to refs. Just watch NBA games. Especially before the 'no complaining' rule.
    He either pushed the ref, or he didn't push him. If he went to argue a technical and the ref flopped, that hilarious and worth reading about, but that's about it.

    the video is on youtube. He obviously at least touched the ref, but at the angle of the cameras it's hard to see just how hard he bumped him. The ref definitely took a spill and regardless of a flop or not, Mayo made contact. Making contact with an official is a big NO in basketball from AAU on up to the NBA and it's not like Mayo didn't know that.
    Grown Man Ball

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:


  25. #44
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    I wish news of this non-trade had never been leaked, so we wouldn't have to be putting up with this sky-is-falling crap over a guy that really isn't worth it.

    We had a guy in this thread named Gamble recommend we take a.... gamble. How profound.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  27. #45
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish news of this non-trade had never been leaked, so we wouldn't have to be putting up with this sky-is-falling crap over a guy that really isn't worth it.
    Yeah, but we'd be putting up with the "Larry Bird did nothing to even try to make a move" sky-is-falling crap.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  29. #46
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    It seems we'll never come to an agreement. When you post up some crazy picture or say that he 'fights teammates', that indeed sounds terrible. But when you try to look with open mind and don't 'forget' any facts, the picture turns into a video of a flopping ref. The 'fighting' turns into 'too much trash talking at wrong friends'. And his most serious crime - an 18 year takes under the table gifts from his college; guess what, Joe Smith did an under the table multi-million deal in NBA, and he was a great guy.
    Personally, I don't mind a greedy guy who's a dick and talks too much trash. If he doesn't repeat the steroid masker stuff, I couldn't care less about everything else. I certainly don't care about huge headlines and pulp photos. I'd rather see full picture.

    Anyway, no point to argue about this all over again, if there's no other facts.

  30. #47

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems we'll never come to an agreement. When you post up some crazy picture or say that he 'fights teammates', that indeed sounds terrible. But when you try to look with open mind and don't 'forget' any facts, the picture turns into a video of a flopping ref. The 'fighting' turns into 'too much trash talking at wrong friends'. And his most serious crime - an 18 year takes under the table gifts from his college; guess what, Joe Smith did an under the table multi-million deal in NBA, and he was a great guy.
    Personally, I don't mind a greedy guy who's a dick and talks too much trash. If he doesn't repeat the steroid masker stuff, I couldn't care less about everything else. I certainly don't care about huge headlines and pulp photos. I'd rather see full picture. Anyway, no point to argue about this all over again, if there's no other facts.
    I wouldn't really call it an argument so much as perhaps two different views on whether to take a risk on this guy. I think you would consider taking a risk because you see the benefits greatly outweighing the risks. I see the guy and notice his tendency to have bad judgement, which could affect the team adversely, and in a big way, potentially. With what the team has gone through, I'd like to see us stay clear from folks who have tendencies to exercise bad judgement. Pretty much simple as that. Not denying at all that the guy has talent.

  31. #48

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    a lot of truths in the op

  32. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but we'd be putting up with the "Larry Bird did nothing to even try to make a move" sky-is-falling crap.
    Those people can just eat **** because they are too dumb to realize that isn't true, and sometimes the best thing to do is just to stay put. I mean when was the last time the Lakers or Spurs made a game changing trade in the middle of the season? You don't build a better team with mid season trades you build a better team in the offseason.

  33. #50
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The busted Mayo Deal / Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those people can just eat **** because they are too dumb to realize that isn't true, and sometimes the best thing to do is just to stay put. I mean when was the last time the Lakers or Spurs made a game changing trade in the middle of the season? You don't build a better team with mid season trades you build a better team in the offseason.
    The Lakers acquired Pau Gasol on February 1st, and they don't win without him.
    http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/080201gasol_trade.html

Similar Threads

  1. Ok, I'm ready to see Paul George start now.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM
  2. Paul George #9 in top 50 rookie ranking
    By Pacers2012 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-10-2011, 07:59 AM
  3. DIME- Q&A w/ Paul George
    By hoops_guy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 11:19 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •